Home Forums Chat Forum Hedgehogs Why

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Hedgehogs Why
  • trout
    Free Member

Do Tin box drivers run them over

Had one in one in our garden looked like a young un I would have guessed its mum had not returned so gave it a bit of steak chopped up which it wolfed down and had a drink of milk .

it seemed a bit more steady on its feet so left it to its own devices .

an hour later found it squashed on the road . and our road is a dead end so no fast traffic .

Bastards ( not the hedgehog ) it is not like they dash out in front of you ffs

you can stop and let the thing get across the road

Sorry not a good rant but I am a tad upset.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Love hedgepigs. Shame so many die. But they can run like **** lightning when they want. And they're dark coloured and not obvious, people dont look out for small dark objects on the floor while driving.

Shame though :(

tails
    Free Member

the more dead hedgehogs the bigger the hedgehog population.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah, poor fella. Such great animals too with all their little spikes. I'm loving the image of him wolfing down the steak and milk. At least he had a decent meal before he went.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

:(

To be fair though, sometimes people just don't see them, specially in the dark – they are rather small.

But yeah, some people are just **** who think it's "funny" to kill an animal. I feel your sadness :|

btw, the only milk you should give hedgehogs is hedgehog milk – cow's milk can give them severe diarrhoea.

deus

i saw a mole crossing the road while out on a road ride at the weekend, little fat bugger was struggling to move it's belly was too big, still it made it across the road ok :)

smudge
    Free Member

probably crossing the road to see his flatmate.
    shouldnt of given him milk, bad for their them apperantly.
    hedgehog facts

About 3 weeks ago there was a right load of squeeling from our front lawn about 3 in the morning. armed with a troutlight in hand I had to go and have a look… there they were, 2 hedgehogs sh4gging on the front lawn, he was giving her a right seeing to, but they didnt look too impressed having a light shone on them and ran off into the bushes.

zokes
    Free Member

Unfortunately their survival strategy for dealing with threatening things is to roll up into a spiky ball. Sadly that's not too compatible with being in the middle of a road….

cbike
    Free Member

Why can't they just share the Hedge?

Anyway, I stopped traffic once to help one cross a road. I'm sure I was real popular. Tough titty tin boxers!

Strangelove
    Free Member

I remember swerving around one so that it passed between my wheels. I looked in my rear view mirror to check that it was ok just in time to see the car following squish the poor blighter.
    I do like hedgehogs but wouldn't be able to explain why other than they eat slugs.
    Used to have them come into the back garden and eat the cat food when I was young.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Hedgehogs are lovely (but flea ridden) critters, used to see loads at a family friends house as a kid.

A real shame to see them squished (shame to see any animals come to a premature end really) I see loads of road kill on my daily commute, mostly rabbits, foxes & pheasants, not a pleasant sight at all.

At least he had a good last meal Trout

podman
    Free Member

I saw two of them walking down the road on my way home from work the Friday before last. I carefully drove past the pair of them, and then parked up on the road where it was safe to do so.

Fortunately I had my (arrived that morning, and taken to work to play with/ charge) brand new Hope Vision 2 from the group-buy on me, which I used to go rescuing with! Walked back up the road to where they were, and they'd both disappeared- turns out they didn't need my help after all! I found one of them in the field next to the road, he was a cute little fella, and didn't even curl-up when I approached him (I couldn't resist getting a picture).

Ewan
    Free Member

I thought you weren't meant to 'give way' to anything that small – could cause an accident (obviously not at 1am in the morning on an empty road)…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

what tails said.
    the fact that we see fewer dead hodgepigs on the roads is not a good sign; their numbers are in pretty serious decline according to the Peoples Trust for Endangered Species…
    still, pretty happy that we saw 2 nice fat healthy looking hogs over by sale water park on a night ride earlier this evening, but sad that they're the only ones i've seen all year (previous years we'd see a couple each night in our garden)…

good work feeding him trout.

podman
    Free Member

I've seen more hedgehogs near me this year than I think I ever have before! Maybe their population has just moved!? :lol:

xherbivorex
    Free Member

ha!

trout
    Free Member

It allways pisses me off when I see the little blighters squashed
    and would jump on the brakes everytime to avoid one dont give a toss about the guy behind over a critter he should be paying attention .

we have had them living under the decking for years now love to hear them crunching the slugs didnt know slugs crunched but they do when a hog is eating one .

The dog is not keen as they dont play fair with the rolling up thing
    and spiky

Pook

Well, to counter all this carnage, I was driving through Rotherham the other day and at the traffic lights there was a hedgehog crossing on the pelican crossing. I think it was coincidence that he was crossing on the green man, but you never know – maybe he pressed the button with a stick.

He made it over four lanes of traffic safely by the way.

:D

rootes1

don't give hedgehogs milk – it gives them the runs.. nor bread as they struggle to digest it

feed them on wet cat food or similar (they will get there water from the food if you wnat to feed them – but better in insects and beetles (eptile places)

you could build or get a hog home for it to live in

ski
    Free Member

We have a family that visit us every night, Mrs feeds them a bit of cat food meat, not sure if this is the best thing for them, but they do seem to love the stuff.

Left a small part of the garden as a wild nest for them too. The little ones when they appear are so cute.

No slug problem in our garden either ;-)

We used to have a albino one a few years back too that used to visit us.

LoulaBella
    Free Member

We used to have lots of hedghogs in our garden when we lived in Germany and used to hear one of them snoring, awwww cute.

stumpy01

not seen any hedgehogs for ages. I like them.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I thought you weren't meant to 'give way' to anything that small

Correct – I was totalled a car (a beautiful almost new Fiesta XR2 and my pride and joy at the time) after swerving to avoid a rabbit. The police said afterwards that I shouldn't have swerved, in fact I shouldn't have altered my speed or trajectory at all – much safer to kill an animal than yourself.

But if it was run over on purpose then that is just wrong.

thefettler
    Free Member

No hedgehogs here in OZ, but plenty of these

Still very cute

coffeeking
    Free Member

I thought you weren't meant to 'give way' to anything that small – could cause an accident (obviously not at 1am in the morning on an empty road)…

Its not that you're not meant to give way to them, it's just that you're not expected to. You still *can* do, even if it causes traffic flow probs, providing it doesnt cause a danger. I'd not stop for one round a blind bend in a 60, but I'd happily stop for one in a busy 30 and hold up the whole road. Have done several times.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

We get loads in our garden so this year we've invested in one of these so they have somewhere to go for the cold winter months.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Many years ago (I was about 19) I ran over a hedgehog.

I turned into a t-junction and spotted it in my headlights at the last moment, reacted super-fast with a quick turn of the wheel, but sadly in the wrong direction. I had the window open and heard it squash. I was really, really upset by this at the time 'cos I love the prickly little gits….
    :(

mtbfix

Badgers are our local road side casualties. There are lots dead on the roads around Pangbourne every summer. Our street is a cul de sac and some twonk managed to kill one on there too. Strange that you have to have a permit or be in season to kill a lot of animals with a gun but you can mow them down with a car and you can go on about your business without lifting from the accelerator.

BigJohn

I expect the little critter was nearly blind anyway from having led lights shone into its eyes nearly every night, during beam pattern trials.

feenster
    Free Member

Hedgehogs….why can't they just share?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Hedgehogs Why’ is closed to new replies.