• This topic has 130 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rio.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • HDMI cables. Worth spending a bit extra?
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Is it worth paying extra?

Jamie
    Free Member

No.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes. Make sure you get the directional ones as well.

🙂

gnusmas

not at all, save your money 🙂

ton

no, not at all.
    £1.99 ones we sell are just as good as £49.99 ones we sell.

tragically1969
    Free Member

If it’s for a long run then probably worth spending a little, and i mean little bit more, other than that, as above, no.

scaredypants

Worth spending a bit extra

yeh, IMO
    wouldn’t buy one for a quid – wouldn’t go over a few quid either though

rs
    Free Member

I have monster carbon fibre titanium coated purple anodized hdmi cables and they give me 50% extra pixels on my tv!

Rio

Depends what you’re doing with it. If you’re threading it somewhere where it’s hard to get at then it’s worth paying a couple of quid for something reasonably robust. Otherwise the 10p freebie that came with your DVD player is fine.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Ok, its for a PS3 so next question – Buy the Sony PS3 one for £18. Or an equivalent known brand one for about the same money? Also, bloke in office says get a 10.2 one?

ton

over a distance less than 10m it makes no differance……trust me.
    i sell this stuff for a living.

damo2576
    Free Member

If you’re running Blu Ray to a HD Projector then yes. I noticed a massive difference changed to Chord cables.

iain1775
    Free Member

ton – Member
    over a distance less than 10m it makes no differance……trust me.
    i sell this stuff for a living

an honest salesman!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just get a cheap one – no need to spend £18 unless you need a massively long one.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I use cheapo/freebie ones for short runs. >5m, I went with something (still quite cheap) from ukhdmi.com. All looks tickety boo on a 10ft wide projection screen using a PS3 as source.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

In my heady days of being “into” hi-fi, I listened to different cables and there IS a difference. Different doesn’t mean better though and an expensive cable may sound/look naff to you.

Maybe A/V cables is different again, but my advice is if you can try before you buy, do so. Hopefully you’ll notice no difference 😀

ton

mf………perfect 8)

Drac

If you’re running Blu Ray to a HD Projector then yes. I noticed a massive difference changed to Chord cables.

The only person in the world to then.

Makes no odds what so ever as it’s digital, unless like Ton says over a certain length. I had the figure of 10′ in my head but I’ll trust Ton.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Stilltortoise hifi cables are different again. Used to sell HDMI leads for consoles when I worked in games shop, no difference at all. Always get someone who recons they can tell but it’s BS

joolsburger
    Free Member

Cables = Bollocks.

And I am really into music and hi fi

Jamie
    Free Member
    fisha
    Free Member

I thought HDMI was all digital, so I dont see how it can be.

If the digital signal gets to the other end of the cable, I dont see how one can be better than another.

In the analogue world, yes perhaps, but not the digital.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Maybe A/V cables is different again

digital only might be different to analogue ?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I seriously do not believe anyone could tell in a blind test, not even with a test card screen, never mind when in real-life use.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Fair enough, but I still think it’s best to try for yourself. If you think you can see/hear a difference and it makes you feel fuzzy and warm because you bought the fancy cables, then that must be a good thing…

…a bit like most of the mountain bike kit we “discuss” on here 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

Further reading…

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests/evaluation-conclusion

summary snippets…
    # At lengths less than 4 meters you can just about use silly string (OK, not really) and get HDMI to pass at any current resolution. At less than 3 meters you’ll even extend that to 12-bit color and possibly the next crazy idea HDMI Licensing decides to throw at consumers. Don’t spend a lot on these cables and if you want to save money you won’t let anyone at a big box store talk you into buying from them.

# At long lengths (over 10 meters) you really need to pay attention to the manufacturer if you don’t want to risk running into potential problems with 1080p and future formats such as Deep Color. With that said, just about any cable at or under 10 meters will pass 720p/1080i and nearly everyone will pass 1080p at 8-bit color as well.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Just get this one and you’re done.

…literally.
    I dunno – you get free delivery.

glenh
    Free Member

The only person in the world to then.

Makes no odds what so ever as it’s digital, unless like Ton says over a certain length. I had the figure of 10′ in my head but I’ll trust Ton.

Just because a cable is carrying a digital signal doesn’t mean it isn’t susceptible to rf interference, crosstalk etc.
    Also, I suspect that most “Blu Ray to a HD Projector” cable runs are “over a certain length”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

makes no difference so get cheap but whatever floats your boat if you want to spend a load of money to experience the joys of the placebo affect dont let us stop you

Jamie
    Free Member

…a bit like most of the mountain bike kit we “discuss” on here

Well, and noting the wink, not really. Binary is on/off. It either works or it doesn’t. A bike component can not be judged in such ‘ahem’ binary terms, so there can be more room for conjecture on quality, perceived or otherwise..

Drac

Just because a cable is carrying a digital signal doesn’t mean it isn’t susceptible to rf interference, crosstalk etc.

It’s minimal so doesn’t up.

Also, I suspect that most “Blu Ray to a HD Projector” cable runs are “over a certain length”.

Why would they, that surely is do purely down the individual set up.

glenh
    Free Member

fisha – Member
    I thought HDMI was all digital, so I dont see how it can be.

If the digital signal gets to the other end of the cable, I dont see how one can be better than another.

In the analogue world, yes perhaps, but not the digital.

Here’s a quote for you: “The right amplitude at the wrong time is the wrong amplitude”

Now I’m not in anyway suggesting that the expensive AV cable business isn’t 99% snake oil, but just because a signal is digital, doesn’t mean it’s always perfect.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the fact that the signal is digital is not a guarantee that cables make no difference – but the hdmi spec is rigid and robust enough to ensure that there is little, if any, difference between hdmi cables.

uplink
    Free Member

I have seen some cheapy cable with ‘slack’ end connectors though

I bought a dozen or so for a fiver at a car boot sale that are branded Sky [so nicked from work I guess] that are absolutely fine on everything I’ve hooked them up to
    I’m used to looking at broadcast quality feeds most days so I tend to be a bit picky

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Binary is on/off. It either works or it doesn’t

but surely the point is that not all the ons and offs are necessarily being transmitted. Are we all falling into the “digital is perfect” trap (again)?

Just to add, I have NO IDEA about HDMI cables 🙂

Drac

If they’re not being transmitted it’s as good as off so nothing happens.

cabeaumont
    Free Member

I use Asda smart price HDMI 1m cables for my devices – can’t complain at all when displaying 1080p from PS3 and sending sound to Onkyo amp. Less than £2!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m in danger of straying into territory that I don’t know enough about, but an “off” in binary/digital is not the same as “nothing”. Besides which, what if an “on” does not get transmitted?

Someone, please come and put me out of my misery 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘HDMI cables. Worth spending a bit extra?’ is closed to new replies.