• This topic has 130 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rio.
Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • HDMI cables. Worth spending a bit extra?
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Ton, can you suggest a 5.1 system that’s excellent at music, sub £2k?

I think he recommended Asda/Tesco for buying HiFi/AV

damo2576
    Free Member

Ton, can you suggest a 5.1 system that’s excellent at music, sub £2k?

I think he recommended Asda/Tesco for buying HiFi/AV

damo2576
    Free Member

Laugh at people stupid enough to pay that price?
    Join in the ripping off of you?
    I know engineers who make the carpet strips and the tile edging they were on 29 p each last time I asked and they retailed at over a tenner. I believe it is called risk reward – the manufactures deffo sells all they make the shop may not sell all they buy.

It was actually an intellectual question that clearly went over your head.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about.

I agree

I rarely detected performance advantages from spending more money – the difference was the signal would work or it didn’t

you said

I noticed a massive difference

You are clutching at straws now. Most people agree after a certain length upgrade a bit. Most agree it works or it does not. you think you can detect some massive difference no one seems to agree and the science does not support this position.

It was actually an intellectual question that clearly went over your head.

Ye sif only I was intellectual enough to fall for the placebo effect like you 🙄
    Pedantically it would have been rhetorical ….so smart arse fail as well 😉
    Shame you omitted to say this in the your posts since this comment till now …. I believe i can hear your fingernails on a barrell

damo2576
    Free Member

Trust me if the signal is dropping and you are experiencing ghosting or pixelating (or whatever its called, its like kind of bits go out of sync) on a run from your source to your projector then you will notice a massive difference when switching to decent cables. As I did.

You’d know if you actaully had a projector or a blu ray source in any decent size room that the cable run is likely to be 10m plus.

leffeboy

On the techie side of things as far as I can see although the signals are digital, the stuff is coming down the wire so fast that the first ‘bit’ gets about 100cm along the cable before the next one starts 😯 . That’s ok for short runs but the longer the cable the more difficult it is to keep the clock and signal together and eventually they will start to no longer match up. Add reflections at the point where the cable plugs in and sharp bends and it gets clear why digital isn’t really so clear cut as you might think…

But for short runs a cable that is made and tested to the most recent spec should work

ojom
    Free Member

You have to remember though as well that some manufacturers adherence to ‘Standards’ isn’t all that.

Plus, the direction thing, that can be a factor… some kit combos prefer being grounded at source end, in this case direction would be very important as the start of the cable would have the grounded shield.

Cougar

The point wasn’t “digital is perfect” so much as “either it works or it doesn’t.”

You’re not going to get a slightly fuzzy picture from a cheap HDMI cable like you might from a cheap SCART cable. You’ll either get a watchable picture, or you won’t.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I think Ton is an honest chap, and maybe just maybe he is giving us a trade ‘heads up’. I know he has sold stuff to those that have asked before, but I don’t recall him trying to sell anything other than tank type used MTB stuff on the classifieds 😉

prettygreenparrot

How I laughed when I saw this one. USB cable rather than HDMI but $299/m! AV Guide USB reference cable

Rio

That’s funny, but not as funny as the $500 audio ethernet cable. Just shows there’s one born every minute.

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘HDMI cables. Worth spending a bit extra?’ is closed to new replies.