Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Have you ever made an 'unwanted sexual advance'?
  • hodgynd
    Free Member

Hell yeah ..but none in the last 20 years.
    Loads of one nighters in my late teens ..how the hell are you supposed to find out if the girl is interested if you don’t at least try ..never ever gone past anything the lady didn’t want to do though ..
    Sexual assault for putting your hand on someone’s knee ? Do me a f***ing favour ..get real !( though I havent read the article yet )

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not since I took that hypnotism course.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Is it that complicated, yes it is. If it’s uninvited then you are not invited to do that. The man or woman thing actually masks the issue completely and makes things like reporting harder for people. There was a report of a rise I reported cases in the news.
    For some men I guess the question is how would you like somebody doing that to your daughter

Of course it is, my point was made half jokingly.

Still, I never actually felt threatened though – because unlike a lot of women I could have just sparked any of them out had I felt the need to do so. I think a lot of men don’t realise what it’s like not to have that level of power over the other sex.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Clearly, you’ve never worn a kilt.

I have and I found out that Newcastle girls have cold hands

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

– because unlike a lot of women I could have just sparked any of them out had I felt the need to do so.

Swoon

onehundredthidiot

I’d hate to think how much dna is spread around pubs and clubs when Scotland are playing in Dublin or Cardiff. Offhand I’d say a fair amount.

Pun intended.

aracer
    Free Member

No need to spark you out then.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Yes but she was asking for it by wearing a short skirt and being drunk . 😮

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

But it’s a fair point isn’t it, most of the blokes on here probably know very little about what it’s like dealing with pervy/creepy men on a daily basis who are 60 to 100lb heavier than you. At the end of the day, most of you… 9 times out of 10 – unless you’ve attracted the advances of Brienne of Tarth 😆 – could extricate yourself from unwanted advances.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I didn’t ask based on any kind of ‘MRA issue’ more of a ‘media reporting/sexual politics’ issue. I asked because of the language that is typically used by the media in the reporting of stories such as the Harvey Weinstein case.

As mentioned, I agree entirely that the use of position and power as a coercive element to force an issue even after it’s become clear that the advanced is unwanted, is unequivocally harrassment and, potentially, abuse.

It’s interesting that the langauge used though specifically connects ‘unwanted advances’ with ‘harassment’ and ‘abuse’ frequently without the caveats cited above.

I’m so glad I’m not a teenager today. I’ve no idea how the hell you’re supposed to navigate the world of sexual politics these days. It will end up with pre-nup’s for sexual congress before long!

Art imitates (or perhaps predicts) life.

[video]https://youtu.be/DxFU_fIUawM?t=3[/video]

BTW if you don’t think the MRA thing is important or don’t agree with the issues you can always just ignore them….

onehundredthidiot

I did, as a student, get accused of Sexual assault. The girl had gone to the student councillor and told her what had happened. Councillor investigated by interviewing me. Firstly asked if I’d done it? “no” any witnesses as to what you were doing Monday evening? “yes about 100 I was quiz master at the union quiz” at that point the whole accusation fell apart, but the police were in I had a nice trip to the station and dna given. All pretty traumatic for me. More so for her the police explained in no uncertain terms what could have happened and what could happen to her.

Apparently she was pissed off because I’d ignored her a couple of weeks before and copped off with her friend.

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t think that the average bloke in a nightclub makes the advances because he is bigger and stronger than the woman though, it’s more a misguided belief that the woman wants the advance made on them (possibly because if roles were reversed the man would welcome any kind of advance from a woman).

rene59
    Free Member

I’m so glad I’m not a teenager today. I’ve no idea how the hell you’re supposed to navigate the world of sexual politics these days.

When asking someone out could be classed as harassement, do they now ask if they can ask someone out before asking them out? What if even asking someone if they can ask them out is unwelcomed? No wonder kids are identifying as unicorns and rainbows these days.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve no idea how the hell you’re supposed to navigate the world of sexual politics these days.

I gather there’s an app for it.

smell_it
    Free Member

Apparently she was pissed off because I’d ignored her a couple of weeks before and copped off with her friend

Occupational hazards of just being too damn hot, bro.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I don’t think that the average bloke in a nightclub makes the advances because he is bigger and stronger than the woman though,

No, but a lot of blokes aren’t very good with the empathy part and don’t always get why some women make quite a big deal of it.

Occupational hazards of just being too damn hot, bro.

😀

slowoldman

Unwanted? Me? Of course not.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I gather there’s an app for it.

You jest but I am sure that it’s coming (if you will pardon the obvious pun).

jimjam
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

I asked because of the language that is typically used by the media in the reporting of stories such as the Harvey Weinstein case.

Isn’t Weinstein a super lefty/liberal (at least by American standards) with his “Women’s Foundation” and his LGBTQ+ foundation, his support for Hilary, pro gun control etc etc.

Perhaps he was compensating for something 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Isn’t Weinstein a super lefty/liberal (at least by American standards) with his “Women’s Foundation” and his LGBTQ+ foundation, his support for Hilary, pro gun control etc etc.

Perhaps he was compensating for something

Life imitating art?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGWKKI2ky8w[/video]

doris5000

I’m so glad I’m not a teenager today. I’ve no idea how the hell you’re supposed to navigate the world of sexual politics these days. It will end up with pre-nup’s for sexual congress before long!

it hasn’t really changed though.

You make an unwanted advance, probably as a teenager or early 20’s, and get a slap/told to sod off/an embarrassing rejection.

Then, if you’re any kind of human, you go away, get over it, and think about how not come across like a git in future. By the age of about 23 you have honed your social skills to the point that you can ask someone on a date without them thinking you’re a ****.

That’s what most people do, and it still pretty much works. We all do stupid stuff when young, and provided we learn from it, it rarely becomes a huge problem.

Someone like Weinstein OTOH was so notorious for being a despicable shit that people joked about it onstage at the Oscars, in TV shows, openly. Decades of abuse, assault, (alleged) rape, of junior people whose careers he could (and did) destroy, of people younger than his own daughters. It’s not like he was on a night out with a peer and misguidedly went for a snog. There’s just no comparison.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I asked Deadly if he wanted to play the rape game.

He said no.

I won.

Cougar

I was never Mr Tickle when I was younger. I was frankly too bloody useless. My pulling prowess in clubs when I was a student progressed through the night something like this: Sober -> too drunk to be able chat up a girl -> drunk enough to actually have the courage to do so -> walking home on my own again.

As I’ve got older and more confident, the only time I’ve ‘made a move’ on a girl is when I’ve been absolutely certain that she’d been waiting for my to do it for the last three years hours. And for context, I’m still oblivious half the time. “She was flirting with you, you know!” – “Er, was she? Damn it.”

So no. About the only “unwanted sexual advance” I could be guilty of is the odd inappropriate comment. I don’t have a very good filter for stuff like that.

arrpee
    Free Member

As a married man I find that 95% of my sexual advances are unwanted…

5% success rate? You essentially just confessed to using Rohypnol.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Guys, guys….also….this crazy woman is lecturing in the lecture space in the building I live (no I don’t **** live in a Californian hippy commune).

Shall I go along and ask if I get a blowjob after, and whether appropriating blowjobs will send me on a lifetime journey of self discovery that give me meaning to my empty life and the banality of existence? Or would that make me a chauvanistic pig, and/or hilariously deluded philosophically?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve been sexually harassed by a rather drunk gay man. Mainly fairly obnoxious comments iver a bar that i was working behind.

He pinched my arse though in full view of a fair number of people. At that point i could have planted a glass in his face i was so embarrassed and angry. he got an absolute bollocking from me and his mate dragged him out he was alot bigger than i was like proper mountain of a man. The mistake i made was not shutting it down at the start. Thats why its not okay on any level because any give can be implied* as some sort of acceptance.

*Wrongly very wrongly.

I dare sailed i’ve strayed to close to the line myself and I’d hate to think thats made someone feel like i did.

And i’ve intervened on a number of occasions when i’ve seen it happening to others.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s interesting that the langauge used though specifically connects ‘unwanted advances’ with ‘harassment’ and ‘abuse’ frequently without the caveats cited above.

Why is this interesting?

Reports of those behaviours together paint a picture of a sexual predator. Nobody’s saying unwanted advances = harrassment, apart from you perhaps.

So why do you make that connection? Be honest with us (and yourself) please.

geetee1972
    Free Member

There’s just no comparison.

No one was making one.

and think about how not come across like a git in future.

Making an unwanted sexual advance doesn’t automatically make you a git though does it. Persisting in making one does.

I think the fact that you/people in general think that it does make you a git shows that things HAVE changed quite drastically, sometimes for the better, sometimes not so.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I always think asking is the best way to understand if another party is consenting.

Asking *is* an advance!

outofbreath
    Free Member

5% success rate? You essentially just confessed to using Rohypnol.

95%? How long have you been having an affair?

Nice work, both. 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Why is this interesting?

Because my undergrad degree was cultural anthropology. I’m interested in how a modern society’s, cultural norms and values are negotiated, established and maintained and the use of language is a key mechanism for this. The language that is used changes the way we feel about things if that language is used consistently enough.

jonnyboi

my undergrad degree

Interesting.

outofbreath
    Free Member

undergrad degree was cultural anthropology

With that background you can probably answer a question I’ve been pondering for ages….

…how many Gherkins go into a Big Mac?

doris5000

Making an unwanted sexual advance doesn’t automatically make you a git though does it. Persisting in making one does.

I think the fact that you/people in general think that it does make you a git shows that things HAVE changed quite drastically, sometimes for the better, sometimes not so.

well I was going more on the premise that most of us don’t consider ourselves to be gits (we’d prefer to think that we were misinterpreted) – but we don’t want other people to think we are gits either. So we modify our behaviour in response to the situations we encounter.

Making an unwanted advance doesn’t necessarily denote, er, gittishness. But if you got a slap or some cross words you can probably assume that the object of your affections thought you were, at that moment, acting like a git. As a one-off, perhaps a simple mistake. As part of an unchecked pattern of behaviour, though, a different picture emerges.

geetee1972
    Free Member

[/quote]…how many Gherkins go into a Big Mac?

I suspect an MBA would be more useful in answering that question.

As a one-off, perhaps a simple mistake. As part of an unchecked pattern of behaviour, though, a different picture emerges.

I entirely agree.

samunkim
    Free Member

Emma Watson being “helped” into a Limo. Not looking entirely comfortable

Cougar

Making an unwanted advance doesn’t necessarily denote, er, gittishness. But if you got a slap or some cross words you can probably assume that the object of your affections thought you were, at that moment, acting like a git. As a one-off, perhaps a simple mistake. As part of an unchecked pattern of behaviour, though, a different picture emerges.

Quite.

I think we have to acknowledge that at some point most of us are going to have to be making sexual advances otherwise we’d die out as a species within a generation. The question is how we gauge whether or not it’s likely to be a welcome advance. Aside from the likes of Trump’s famous cat-worrying, there’s a world of difference between going up to a stranger and saying “hi, my name is Steve, what’s yours?” and “nice tits luv, can I have a go on ’em later?”

(There may by situations where the latter ‘direct approach’ is acceptable, but probably in the frozen foods aisle in ASDA.)

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Whilst Weinsten’s actions are deplorable, it’s odd that the press don’t pursue Donald Trump and Bill Clinton with such fervour. Probably something to do with the women involved being less powerful and famous.

In the interests of balance and disclosure, there is an incident where I could be accused of making an unwanted sexual advance…

I was doing a creative writing course as a mature student~ the lecturer started making eyes at me, would pair up with me on group exercises (something she didn’t do with any of the other students) and would follow me to the coffee machine at break, then walk back and chat with me on the way back to the classroom. She gave me her email and there was some chemistry, so I wrote with a bit of innuendo…

Next thing I know, get summoned to the Univerity Principal’s office and banned from all courses for a term.

Suffice to say the relationship failed to blossom.

maccruiskeen

Whilst Weinsten’s actions are deplorable, it’s odd that the press don’t pursue Donald Trump and Bill Clinton with such fervour.

Hang on. This is news to me. Whats this about Trump of Clinton? 🙂

larrydavid
    Free Member

I Got a ‘lingering hand on leg’ at work whilst being physically arranged for a group photo by a director of another prominent 3rd sector organisation. I was about 26 and she would have been late 40s. It was peak Saville, so possibly a revenge attack. Felt a bit weird about it, but didn’t say anything…

Worst of all she wasn’t hot. If she’d been a honey I’d have been all over it like a rash. Always the way…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever made an 'unwanted sexual advance'?’ is closed to new replies.