Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Have we done the Grenfell Tower bonfire video yet?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Very distasteful

Waste of scarce police resources

Its making me think of Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi…was there an investigation into that?  Pretty offensive

DezB
    Free Member

I wonder what would’ve been done if an “I Like To Watch”* style video had been made of the Grenfell Tower..

He (now she) didn’t get investigated, arrested or even hassled by the US police, as far as I know.

*An artist called Chris Korda (aka The Church of Euthanasia) made a song and video in 2002 about masturbating over the Twin Towers attack. There were willies in the video, in case you were thinking of having a look.

martinhutch

Getting a bit daft now. Holding a bunch of **** like this in custody for almost 24 hours when it is highly dubious whether any offence has even been committed.

Going through their bins seems to be a search for something/anything to charge someone with.

There really ought to be some unresolved offences in South London for them to direct their resources to.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, but someone was offended! Can’t have that can we.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah, but someone was <em class=”bbcode-em”>offended! Can’t have that can we.

I significant number of people found it to be very offensive and probably racially motivated. The police are doing their jobs. Let them get on with it.

DezB
    Free Member

Let them get on with it.

Having an opinion doesn’t stop anybody getting on with anything.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The police are doing their jobs. Let them get on with it.

But that’s the poing, the police aren’t doing their job here, they’re doing the politician’s job.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It was in very very poor taste but it seems to be growing legs and getting out of hand – it doesn’t seem like the best use of time and resources given the number of other issues that London is facing. On the other hand given the media have whipped people up into a frenzy over it, its an easy win to investigate.

Drac

In which case prosecute the BBC who bought this to a massive audience.

Errrrrr! Ok.

taxi25
    Free Member

In which case prosecute the BBC who bought this to a massive audience.

Errrrrr! Ok.

Makes as much sense as the current farce.

Drac

Yeah I’d agree.

DezB
    Free Member

Prosecute WhatsApp! And mobile phones! And cardboard! And Guy Fawkes. Yeah, him too.

funkmasterp

Yeah I’d agree.

It does seem absurd. The people that did it are quite clearly absolute dicks and everyone understands that. It’s the whole “look at it, look at how offensive it is. Keep looking at it. Don’t look away, here it is again” approach of the media that grates.

It should have been removed from all social media and forgotten about. There are, in my humble opinion, much more important things for our already overworked police forces to deal with.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

We agree that turning up in a KKK uniform and burning a cross outside someones house should be illegal, yes?

Well, this is a side effect of that.

More than that, it’s a moderately entertaining one.

DezB
    Free Member

Eh?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Eh?

This.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Eh?

The Public Order Act which has been cited in this, would be used to prosecute people who decide it would be a good idea to go and burn crosses outside peoples houses. Would it not?

How is this any less offensive than someone swinging on the cenotaph, btw? The offender was prosecuted under the same act, yes?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do we know if any of the people in the video are members of the Labour party?

DezB
    Free Member

prosecute people who decide it would be a good idea to go and burn crosses outside peoples houses.

What, like in Mississippi?

Would it not? .. Probably.

, yes?.. Maybe

footflaps

Do we know if any of the people in the video are members of the Labour party?

Good point, I’m amazed the Express / Torygraph etc haven’t suggested it was all Corbyn’s fault…

Personally, I blame Thatcher.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

What, like in Mississippi?

We’re quite good at burning effigies in public, with the intention to cause distress and alarm as well. See the Orange Order.

outofbreath
    Free Member

The Public Order Act which has been cited in this, would be used to prosecute people who decide it would be a good idea to go and burn crosses outside peoples houses. Would it not?

NO! There would quite rightly be *far* more serious offences committed if you did that. Plus the action these morons took doesn’t even break Section 4 of the Public Order Act which requires intent.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Plus the action these morons took doesn’t even break Section 4 of the Public Order Act which requires intent.

I guess that depends on the original intention of the leak from the WhatsApp group. I mean, it’s not like said morons would have ever considered inviting the black people they know to the group for a bit of “bantz” – people are never that idiotic are they?

The police have to investigate that I guess.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I guess that depends on the original intention of the leak from the WhatsApp group.

I’ve had a quick look at Section 4 and I don’t think so. The fact the police haven’t charged them yet also makes me think you’re wrong. If it was that simple they’d have been charged.

funkmasterp

It would be similar to the frankly odd KKK anology had they rocked up in the garden of a family member of one of the victims. The Klan used to lynch people. Very different from a bunch of dickheads  being, well, massive dickheads really.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I’ve had a quick look at Section 4 and I don’t think so. The fact the police haven’t charged them yet also makes me think you’re wrong. If it was that simple they’d have been charged.

It takes a while to get the WhatsApp data doesn’t it? The Americans like to take their time.

Very different from a bunch of dickheads being, well, massive dickheads really.

My response to that, is dickheads being dickheads can contribute to the conditions and atmosphere that makes the threat of violence or the use of it, more acceptable.

See the recent anti-Semitic shooting in the US.

Anyway, I guess what I was trying to say is that you can’t just pick and choose when to apply the law when given enough evidence to investigate. That’s not rule by law is it?

funkmasterp

I think our definitions of dickhead appear to be different. From what I’ve read the perpetrators of the incident this thread relates to were making a misguided attempt at being edgy or showing black humour. They missed the mark by a huge margin and were being insensitive, emotionally retarded and idiotic.

That is a far cry from shooting or being a member of the KKK. That’s so far past rule number one I don’t even know where it is.

Like it or not, if we live in a democracy we have to let people act like dicks and occasionally more or less everyone will be offended by something. To step away from that is the beginning of a very slippery slope.

hopeforthebest
    Free Member

“you can’t just pick and choose when to apply the law when given enough evidence to investigate”

Are you havin a giraffe? If the cops wanted to prosecute everyone for every time there was a law broken, half the country would be cops and half would be prison officers! Discretion and prioritisation happen every single minute of every officer’s day!

This is a case where the police are arresting people for having shitty opinions and expressing them. That might be a social problem but it isn’t one you can solve through the criminal justice system, especially when within a ten mile radius kids are being murdered, vulnerable people are being exploited and millions of pounds of money stolen from developing countries is being being laundered

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I think our definitions of dickhead appear to be different. From what I’ve read the perpetrators of the incident this thread relates to were making a misguided attempt at being edgy or showing black humour. They missed the mark by a huge margin and were being insensitive, emotionally retarded and idiotic.

Considering that the person who reported it to the MET was black, are we sure that the video wasn’t used with the intention to cause distress?

That might be a social problem but it isn’t one you can solve through the criminal justice system, especially when within a ten mile radius kids are being murdered, vulnerable people are being exploited and millions of pounds of money stolen from developing countries is being being laundered

And you think the MET are so incompetent they don’t know how to triage these cases and don’t have a valid reason for investigating? Hell, trying to make the BAME community in London community feel more supported by the MET might get them more leads in other cases.

But I’ll trot this one out the next time one of your bikes gets nicked then.

The issue isn’t the law, it’s the funding of the police.

funkmasterp

Considering that the person who reported it to the MET was black, are we sure that the video wasn’t used with the intention to cause distress?

My post was more pointing out that you were comparing the actions of an organisation with a documented history of intimidation and murder with some dickheads making a crass and insensitive effigy.

I don’t believe it was or that it was ever meant to have such a wide reaching audience. Would your opinion be different if somebody who wasn’t black had reported it? Does the skin colour or ethnicity of somebody reporting something automatically make it a race issue? Do you not see that the whole thing has been blown massively out of proportion and fuelled by the media?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Would your opinion be different if somebody who wasn’t black had reported it?

Well, that depends on whether the video or sharing of the video was intended to cause distress and alarm, doesn’t it? I’m fairly sure, that’s currently what the police are trying to work out.

funkmasterp

So it wouldn’t be causing alarm if reported by a white person. Is that what you are stating as that just seema bizarre. Apologies if I’ve read that wrong.

Do you believe that the police would be investigating this at all if it hadn’t been for the ludicrous amount of coverage it has received? I honestly don’t think they would and it would have been forgotten by now. We’re clearly never going to agree so it’s best that I leave this now. Have a nice evening.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

So it wouldn’t be causing alarm if reported by a white person

What it indicates is that this isn’t just a joke made in bad taste that was shared amongst friends. Like some of you are saying. There is more to the story that we appear not to be privvy to.

funkmasterp

Nope, just indicates that somebody (who happens to be black) found it offensive and the police are being forced to waste precious resources investigating it because the media got a hold and ran with it as far as I can tell.

Just broken my promise to walk away haven’t I 🤣

Happy to be wrong though.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

And how do you know that?

Is it perhaps because you are a bit biased and think uppity black people should know their place? Or are you currently in possession of more facts than the MET?

taxi25
    Free Member

What it indicates is that this isn’t just a joke made in bad taste that was shared amongst friends. Like some of you are saying. There is more to the story that we appear not to be privvy to.

This is a huge assumptions !!! What info do you have to support it ? The fact that it was reported  by someone who’s black ????

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Because the reporter  is clearly or very likely, not in their social circle. Especially in light of the reports from neighbours suggesting that they are in fact EDL voting muppets.

I could be wrong though, again – the MET will know. Not me. The same goes for the rest of the inverse-outraged on here.

funkmasterp

And how do you know that?

Is it perhaps because you are a bit biased and think uppity black people should know their place? Or are you currently in possession of more facts than the MET?

Bravo! I’ve tried to remain civil and you accuse me of being racist. Says a lot more about you than it does me to be honest. Are you in possession of more facts than the MET?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I wonder what Raybanwomble’s previous/other log in was?

He’s quite the troll.  🙂

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Bravo! I’ve tried to remain civil and you accuse me of being racist. Says a lot more about you than it does me to be honest. Are you in possession of more facts than the MET?

Well, I do find it enlightening that we are all outraged about the fact that the police are investigating this and not the fact that some people took joy in mocking the deaths of others.

But keep up your faux outrage, you’d only be genuinely outraged if you were in fact, in possession of the full facts of the case. Also, I never implied you were racist – but biased – big difference. Is it possible that you are easily offended?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the Grenfell Tower bonfire video yet?’ is closed to new replies.