Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 194 total)
  • Have I borke the law, am I a thief?
  • takisawa2

If they’ve a stock control / inventory system that lets this sort of thing happen then your probably not the first that’s had a free lunch on them.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

It’s probably breach of contract – read your T&C’s

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Im not so bothered about the morality behind it. I havent lost sleep over it as I dont believe its really that bad

Ahhh yes, definitely a troll.

lapierrelady

To ‘borke’ the law is surely ill-advised, in any context.

grum
    Free Member

A building society accidentally gave me £1500 of shares when they demutualised (I was actually too young to be issued them according to the terms of the demutualisation).

Sold them and kept the money and never lost a wink of sleep over it.

mightymule
    Free Member

Thief!

THIEF!!!!

*sharpens pitchfork*

peter1979
    Free Member

‘thief thief theif’, ‘devoid of morality’, ‘morally bankrupt’, ‘broken moral compass’, a ‘troll’, parents morality and parenting being called out, a wife who’s fidelity has been brought into question and being unable to spell in my thread title. This has been a tough Monday.

peter1979
    Free Member

A building society accidentally gave me £1500 of shares when they demutualised (I was actually too young to be issued them according to the terms of the demutualisation).

Sold them and kept the money and never lost a wink of sleep over it.

Would you be interested in a 2nd hand sofa?

Jamie
    Free Member

This has been a tough Monday.

…to be expected?

grum
    Free Member

Would you be interested in a 2nd hand sofa?

Haha, no way – that’s shady.

Thief!
    THIEF!!!!
    *sharpens pitchfork*

Him or me? He’s scum obvs. 🙂

peter1979
    Free Member

This has been a tough Monday.

…to be expected?

spooky!

gordimhor

I “borked” the law and the law won 8)

irc

Today my wife has a phone call from Furniture Item 1 store, nothing was discussed as my wife made an excuse that she was busy

So they tried to arrange payment or return of the couch and were fobbed off with an excuse. Morals of the gutter. Pay up or give it back.

BigJohn

You’re not a crook yet but if you lie to them you will be

Jamie
    Free Member

You’re not a crook yet but if you lie to them you will be

So if he never answers the phone, then he’s good to go?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I assume it was signed for when delivered?

If you’re dishonest, this is an important question.

If you’re honest, pay up. The law is clear, its illegal.
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_problems_with_delivery_e/consumer_unsolicited_goods_e/youve_received_goods_or_services_you_didnt_ask_for_distance_sales.htm

edward2000
    Free Member

Look up the definitions of embezzlement/swindling.

Jamie
    Free Member

Look up the definitions of embezzlement/swindling.

Unless the OP works for the furniture company in question, then it’s not embezzlement.

Nick

Hmmm, must remember not to sell anything to Peter1979 via the classifieds…

peter1979
    Free Member

Today my wife has a phone call from Furniture Item 1 store, nothing was discussed as my wife made an excuse that she was busy

So they tried to arrange payment or return of the couch and were fobbed off with an excuse. Morals of the gutter. Pay up or give it back.

Technically they haven’t tried to ‘arrange’ payment or return as my wife didnt get into any conversation as she said she was too busy to talk at that moment.

Morals of the gutter to add to the list. Thank you irc, you have passed the morality test and are allowed safe passage into heaven.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Check the price of the item in store and offer to pay up when it gets dramatically reduced.

Or

Send the company en email saying you have it by their error and can they come round to collect it please.
    I bet they never show up

hora
    Free Member

I wonder- the person who possibly made the mistake. Is he/she in shit because of this mistake?

peter1979
    Free Member

It has been reduced by 80 quid! The thieving…..

Hang on, maybe thats why they were phoning, to offer an £80 refund.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

From the link above, if you write this letter giving them 14 days to collect it, and they don’t, you can keep it… (with morals intact)

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_problems_with_delivery_e/consumer_unsolicited_goods_e/received_unsolicited_goods_or_service.htm

Then you could buy it again. You’ve got nothing to lose!

Jamie
    Free Member

Hang on, maybe thats why they were phoning, to offer an £80 refund.

Easy tiger. You’re being a bit too on the nose, now.

peter1979
    Free Member

The thing is it says ‘unsolicited’ and this wasnt unsolicited, as I ordered it. Cant get the link to work.

gordimhor

Why not pop in to the police station and ask them for advice? 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

You are an immoral dishonest thief .I was dragged up proper by my folks and even tell till girls if they give to much change .I sleep well at night ,you may not !

hora
    Free Member

Tbh if its wrapped/not used answer the phone and ask them to collect. If youve unwrapped and using it. Pay for it.

Seems fair?

crankboy
    Free Member

Technically if you genuinely had to ask you were not a thief but given you now know the standards of ordinary decent people if you keep it or part with it without paying you are on dodgy ground. You could be prosecuted for the crime and in any event you could be sued for the full value plus costs and interest.

Really really surprised you had to ask and shocked at your assumption that people on here would go bent for 600 quid.

bearnecessities

*sniggers*

Duggan

To me it doesn’t really sound that bad if I’m honest but if you are evading their phone calls and such-like than I’d say it’s surely more hassle than it’s worth and you should just phone them to sort it.

I’m going to be honest and say that if it was me, and the furniture was from some massive department store I don’t think I’d lose any sleep over it.

Though for £600 you’d have to expect them to chase it up sooner or later.

Edit to say that I think suggesting the OP has ‘gone bent’ for £600 (lolz) is a bit much. It’s not like he’s ditched his job to organise a people trafficking ring or something.

poly
    Free Member

Crankboy – thats an interesting take that “if you genuinely had to ask its not theft”. I see where you are coming from, but I’d turn that on its head: if you bothered to ask on an internet forum if its theft then you knew it wasn’t right. If you were genuinely naive to the offence you would either not post at all or post a “look how I lucked out” post…

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m going to be honest and say that if it was me, and the furniture was from some massive department store I don’t think I’d lose any sleep over it.

It’s always great to believe in the victimless crime, but the trouble is, massive department stores are made up of lots of individual who have their own jobs and responsibilities. This is going to be a mistake made by one of those individuals and they’re the one who’s going to get it the neck, maybe loose out on a bonus or earnings. It certainly won’t look good for them or something they’ll just be able to hide.

Mr_C
    Free Member

The high horsemen of the apocalypse have arrived in number on this thread. Try looking at this from another angle.

The company have to refund the OP because they are unable to fulfil the order in a timely manner, at this point both parties have agreed the order is cancelled so no contract exists between the two. In an attempt to regain the business they deliver anyway when it comes into stock with the expectation that they will receive payment. This is a criminal offence under the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act 1971 so the OP would be within his rights to keep the item. Not saying it’s right but the law’s the law innit.

The Unsolicited Goods and Services Act 1971 makes it an offence for a company to send you goods you have not ordered. The legislation is intended to discourage companies from sending customers unordered goods in the hope that they will be induced by lethargy or ignorance to pay for them. Companies who send out unordered goods in this way do so at great risk since once you receive the goods you do not have to pay for them and they are yours to keep. linky

Duggan

It’s always great to believe in the victimless crime, but the trouble is, massive department stores are made up of lots of individual who have their own jobs and responsibilities. This is going to be a mistake made by one of those individuals and they’re the one who’s going to get it the neck, maybe loose out on a bonus or earnings. It certainly won’t look good for them or something they’ll just be able to hide.

Yeah I do take this point and it’s a fair one. Though realistically I wouldn’t expect someone to be fired on the spot for something like this and it must happen on fairly regular basis in larger firms.

Notwithstanding, the mistake has already been made regardless of whether the OP returns the goods or not, so somebody (if it indeed is an individual responsible) has probably been bollocked regardless.

I don’t think there can be any argument that returning the goods would be the right thing to do though. Just depends on how much you care I suppose.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Email them, I have had companies reply ‘thanks for letting us know, just keep it though’. Keep email plus be not a thief.

I once ordered two sofas from Argos (don’t judge me!) – when they were delivered, they’d accidentally loaded a third one. I told the delivery guy that I’d only ordered and paid for two, and he asked me if I wanted the third one anyway! Apparently mis delivered stuff can’t be returned to their warehouses, instead it goes to another warehouse where all the mis delivered and returned stuff gets auctioned. :/

Didn’t take him up on the offer though, living room was too small for three!

nonk
    Free Member

Makes note to self

Never ever deal with pete1979 the guy is complete nobber..

You can add that to the list if you like.

Flaperon

I don’t understand how you can be experiencing any moral ambiguity about this at all.

Yes, you are a thief, as is your wife and compounded by the fact that you both instinctively know it’s wrong as you’ve been avoiding their phone calls.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Have I borke the law, am I a thief?’ is closed to new replies.