Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 194 total)
  • Have I borke the law, am I a thief?
  • rene59
    Free Member

Let them know they can come and collect the item at a specified time convenient to yourself.

However, you will first need to invoice them for admin, storage and processing fees which come to £600. You require this to be paid prior to releasing the item.

sv

+1 for Mr C. They delivered it, too bad.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

You’re either a troll or a thief
    Are you really surprised at the replies?
    How would you like the shop to screw you for £600, say by taking your money then going bankrupt before delivery?

JoeG
    Free Member

Oh, FFS! You’re all missing the important part!

ON-ONE MUST BE IN THE FURNITURE BUSINESS! 😉 :mrgreen:

peter1979
    Free Member

However, you will first need to invoice them for admin, storage and processing fees which come to £600. You require this to be paid prior to releasing the item.

This was my Dad’s idea. Tell them its in storage at their cost, charge them £50 a day, plus admin and tell them they are ringing you on a premium rate number and send them an invoice for thousands.
    My wife is calling them back today to see how they want to proceed. The unsolicited goods link is a very good point.

nonk – Member

Makes note to self

Never ever deal with pete1979 the guy is complete nobber..

Cheers Nonk, looking back through your posts I doubt I would deal with you anyway. Most of your items were overpriced and I suspect thats why you were unable to sell them.

crankboy
    Free Member

Peter just at the minute in the debate with your furniture store you are both equally wrong don’t risk making your self into the Prat by trying to capitalize on their error or you could end up at least out of pocket.

hora
    Free Member

all the mis delivered and returned stuff gets auctioned.

Wow. Simply wow, I know it must be difficult for them but to simply sweep all that revenue/stock under the carpet in this day and age- no wonder Argos is struggling.

khani
    Free Member

Bad korma innit…

maccruiskeen

This could fall under ‘Theft by finding’. If you ‘find’ something where you can’t reasonably identify the legitimate owner then you can keep it with a clear conscience – you find a tenner in the park, how can you reasonably trace the owner. I recently had a delivery of car wheel trims – addressed to my house but not to my name, no return info on or in the package, non of my neighbours by that name, name not in the local phone book – so I can’t return or forward to anyone. It didn’t give me a choice other than to keep or dispose of them as if they were mine, I couldn’t offer or return them to anyone else.

”Theft by Finding” is where the owner of the goods are easy to identify – if the tenner in the park is in a wallet that also contains a name and address for instance.

Friend of mine was cautioned for using a old shopping trolley to move his scaffolding clips about. He’d found it years earlier on a derelict site he was working on but because it said “Sainsburys” on the handle it was obvious who the owner was – even though he hadn’t taken it from them and it probably hadn’t been in their possession for years prior to him acquiring it. So he could have left it where it was, or taken it returned it to the owner, but taking and using knowing it is someone else’s is theft within that definition.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

no wonder Argos is struggling.

Struggling? Really?

AFAIK, don’t they sell more Apple products than any other retailer? There’s something I like about Argos – they were doing “Click & Collect” before the term was even coined. 🙂

rogermoore

Does opinion differ depending on the source, value and type of item?

Quite a few years back I bought a one ticket for a sold out festival off ebay so I could go with a group who bought their tickets earlier. I paid about £90 over the face value – just short of double the face value. Couple of days before the festival 2 tickets show up.
    [Limmy] What would you do? [/Limmy]

RM.

andyrm
    Free Member

Just answer their calls and arrange collection.

It’s not a “victimless crime” – as has been said, someone will be getting a shoeing for this, they might not get sacked right away, but it will go against them.

It’s also a big amount of money worth of stock. If they had failed to deliver to you after taking your money (i.e. the boot on the other foot) I am sure you’d be crying all over the forums.

We need to break this stupid assertion that it’s ok to rip off a company. It’s not.

ricky1
    Free Member

Question is,do you have the money to pay for it if they ask for it,want it,demand it,feel like they have been hoodwinked and take you to court for thieving it knowing full well you have it,not like it can get lost in the post is it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Bad korma innit…

Stop trying to curry favour…

gogg
    Free Member

Bottom line is you KNOW what you’ve done is wrong, or you wouldn’t have asked.

Do whatever you want, but be prepared to live with the consequences.

D0NK

and shocked at your assumption that people on here would go bent for 600 quid.

so what your basically saying is I’d have to offer you atleast a grand to “go bent”?

Slippery slope, you pretty much accepted that you’d be dishonest just that we need to haggle some more over price 😉

nonk – Member
    Makes note to self
    Never ever deal with pete1979 the guy is complete nobber..

I bet he’s shitting himself now.

Keeping quiet about it is a morally grey area (light grey tho), fobbing off the person on the phone is pretty dodgy, but I assume your wife only did that so you could decide how to play it ‘fess up and offer to pay – all IMO obviously.

Those mentioning someone at the retailers may get into trouble over this, are you sure? Sounds a bit melodramatic, probably due to a computer glitch, I know every **** up with an order I’ve had has been blamed on those pesky computers

JEngledow
    Free Member

probably just a computer glitch

More likely a Computer Embolism (clot on the keyboard)!

hora
    Free Member

It’s not a “victimless crime” – as has been said, someone will be getting a shoeing for this, they might not get sacked right away, but it will go against them.

As I’ve said previously. Someone at a local bikeshop put a bike through the till at 10% of the price it should have been. The mistake was spotted later on and the shop tried for quite a few times to get hold of the customers. Eventually after writing to him he replied. He said he’d pay but not the full price but a fair price.

What a price **** cock.

Now the shop was Evans. Some might say its a big company-tough they can take it but then every day they’ll be getting dodgy credit cards, staff stealing, mistakes, shoplifting etc etc ontop of this.

The person who entered the price at 10%. I don’t know what happened to him but what if he was in his probation period still? Manager looking to reduce staff hours etc etc etc?

chojin
    Free Member

Don’t listen to the vast vast majority, it sounds like they’re all jealous you’ve got a free piece of furniture.
    Enjoy your swag luck.

hora
    Free Member

For me it doesn’t matter if the business is Barclays, a small coffee shop giving you change for £20 instead of £5 or a small bikeshop. I believe in paying a fair price for everything.

Binners will remember this one- years ago I noticed a newly listed set of Marzocchi forks on Ebay by a Peaks-based bike business. I hit buy it now and received and email from the shop saying ‘hey I made a complete mistake on the price but I will honour it’. I called them and refused to take it at the price but the bloke INSISTED, was abit of a too-and fro. I wanted to pay more and he insisted so I relented, paid and just didn’t feel comfortable so eventually sold them to binners at the same price I’d paid.

D0NK

Oim considerably more honester than yow!

Jamie
    Free Member

I called them and refused to take it at the price

Sucker.

brassneck

A certain large internet retailer double delivered a telly to me, I got it returned and got credited for it. I mailed them twice to point out the mistake and then gave up. It seemed easier to ignore than deal with.

I now think of it as reclaiming some unpaid corporation tax and redistributing it to the ‘hard working families’ and sleep easily 🙂

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I called them and refused to take it at the price…

Now that’s just stupid.

heisenberg
    Free Member

by chance its from DFS? ..i am in the stock team, and i am looking for a missing sofa since xmas 🙄

jon1973
    Free Member

have you checked behind the sofa?

peter1979
    Free Member

heisenberg – Member

by chance its from DFS? ..i am in the stock team, and i am looking for a missing sofa since xmas

Haha, no. Its not.

crankboy
    Free Member

“and shocked at your assumption that people on here would go bent for 600 quid.
    so what your basically saying is I’d have to offer you atleast a grand to “go bent”?”

I once in the spirit of inquiry worked out my price to go bent given that I would never be able to work again in the job I sort of love. It was significantly more that £1000 just for it to be economically worth while . Now knowing I would lose the respect of crankygirl I would not go bent at any price.

bearnecessities

i am in the stock team, and i am looking for a missing sofa since xmas

Have you looked behind the..oh, wait.

dabble
    Free Member

Mr C has hit the nail on the head, but people continue to speculate and judge the OP. Could be a few apologies due here.
    OP, I think keep it and give em the rods if they want it back. Send out unsolicited goods, it gets kept, tough shite.

Jamie
    Free Member

have you checked behind the sofa?

Which one? The OP has several.

highlandman
    Free Member

£600 sofa = £100 Vat that doesn’t then go to pay for schools and healthcare. Plus a few pounds of corporation tax on whatever profits might be declared by the company. No such thing as victimless crime, even when dealing with large (greedy) corporations.
    This means that your theft isn’t just from the company, it’s from all of us too. Please take it on the chin, pay for the sofa and re-adjust a bit.

crankboy
    Free Member

just to be very clear it would be dangerous to rely on a 2005 article in the guardian to understand the current effect of the unsolicited goods act 1971. legislalion.gov.uk is as clear as mud but implies the you get to keep stuff if 6 months have past and you serve notice and do all the right things rule has been repealed . the act never made it a crime to send unsolicited goods. It did make it a crime to demand payment and refuse to accept return .In any event it is really a weak argument to suggest goods you have ordered and then cancelled are unsolicited.

poly
    Free Member

Those mentioning someone at the retailers may get into trouble over this, are you sure? Sounds a bit melodramatic, probably due to a computer glitch, I know every **** up with an order I’ve had has been blamed on those pesky computers

Yes and almost everyone on STW works in IT so who do you think gets the blame…

peter1979
    Free Member

Updates –

My wife called the woman back who was quite to the point and said we need to pay for the item. My wife informed them that we would like to return it. The woman said this is not possible. My wife has said to call back tomorrow as she does not have access to the funds to pay it at this moment.

Now, I was happy to pay for it, but to be told that there is no possibility of a return. Is this right? The lady on the phone said that it is outside of the return period. But surely that is now there problem?

robbespierre
    Free Member

You are in the right this time.
    The order was cancelled, they delivered by mistake, you accepted delivery by mistake, so they must take it back if you don’t want to pay for it.
    IMHO

Jamie
    Free Member

Now, I was happy to pay for it, but to be told that there is no possibility of a return. Is this right? The lady on the phone said that it is outside of the return period. But surely that is now there problem?

This is where you get your haggling skills out the cupboard. They obviously don’t want it back, as they cannot sell it as new for the same price….plus the hassle of collecting it, but they cannot compel you to pay for it due to them delivering by mistake.

Offer them 75% of the value. Seems fair.

Tiger6791

Just tell them to come get it.

They cancelled, they delivered.

You never bought it so how can it be “out of the return” period.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

a £600 sofa will likely only ‘cost’ them 200 –or even less –there is staggering mark ups on these things–very basic soft wood frame with some padding and a cover–huge amount of marketing –offer them 200 -take the money or take the sofa–say you won’t charge them storage if they are prompt..

crankboy
    Free Member

Prior to Xmas you ordered a sofa. Then the sofa was delivered in error. You said nothing and kept the sofa hoping never to have to pay for somebody else’s property that you planned to keep. You have accepted the item and used it for a month. When contated by the supplier you have evaded and then lied about not being in a position to pay. It has been pointed out to you that the only way you are not a thief is if you do not realise that ordinary decent people would think it was wrong to try and take advantage of someones mistake to keep 600 of goods that were not yours.

The only way you come out of this ahead is if the supplier is lazy or stupid. Why not pay for the product you wanted delivered in the timeframe you wanted at the price you agreed. Said product being more to your taste than the alternative.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Have I borke the law, am I a thief?’ is closed to new replies.