Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • Has anyone chosen to be car-less?
  • 1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

No not kidding but what your paying for insurance is my insurance,tax and mot.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

I can only guess you have a car that emits less than 120g/km of CO2 and pay £30 for your roadtax.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thank you tinytimbo

someone who is realistic

I simply dont believe the person who claims tax, mot and insurance is less than 500 a year – or is that third party only? leaving a huge uninsured cost

Northwind

TandemJeremy – Member

I simply dont believe the person who claims tax, mot and insurance is less than 500 a year – or is that third party only? leaving a huge uninsured cost

My insurance was £305 TPF&T (I was quoted £380 comp but with a big excess, wasn’t economic), tax is £130 (1.8TD), MOT whatever an MOT costs, £35? The insurance quote’s a wee bit inflated because I’ve no no-claims for cars, only got my car ticket last year.

Course that’s a drop in the bucket of car costs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

edit – can’t add up

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Loving the tags by the way – I was wondering if anyone would notice

molgrips
    Free Member

I would like to point out in reference to tinytimbo’s post that you don’t need new tyres, brakes and discs every year.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

No TJ thats fully comp protected. See if you did drive you would know the real cost of driving not some figures quoted out of a survey or trawled up from wikibullshit.

mogrim

Our streets used to be part of our homes, now it’s just somewhere we park. You want to look for the roots of the breakdown of community? Start there.

I clearly remember kicking balls into neighbours’ cars as a kid, don’t think parking has much to do with any supposed “breakdown of community”.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

No car for nearly 6 years now. My alcohol tolerance has increased proportionally!

karnali
    Free Member

1 cheap car to run that spends a lot of its time on the drive. I think we may try mon -fri carless for awhile through the summer. However rural cumbria bus service is rubbish and expensive and it would be awful not to take the little ones into the mountains that can be seen from the house. We currently use about 1 tank of fuel a month may try and stretch tht to 2months over the summer.

Edukator
    Free Member

I don’t need either of my vehicles, a Ducato van and a 605 car, they are both hangovers from my days in business. However, I’ve got them and occasionally use them. About 500l of fuel with most of it going in the van. The car is 19 years old and I’ve owned it for 16. So a big saloon in France has cost me:

Insurance: 270e
    MOT: 50e/two years = 25e
    Road tax: 0e
    note that I’m only up to £260 TJ 😉
    Depreciation: 4000e/16 = 250e
    DIY maintenance 5000e/16 = 312e

Total: 857e/year or about £754/year.

Given local rental costs it would have cost me more to rent for the jouneys that I can’t use public transport for. The van covers half of its running costs just in the value of the free wood I pick up with it.

I find it frustrating that so little is done to price these two greedy monsters off the road. It may happen soon though as they are both in categories that will soon be banned in towns under proposed pollution laws. A German friend finally had to get rid of her ageing Golf when it was banned in the major town she lives near.

Edit: whilst my wife and son are quite happy to have to play with valves to use the wahing machine or get a hot shower, and stoke the wood burner they wouldn’t put up with a carless existence.

Scamper
    Free Member

Currently do 35k per annum in my own car split between business and pleasure. I’d guess the running costs over 71k miles in a 54 plate mondeo which already had done 80k when i bought it would be about 20 pence per mile including fuel, depreciation, tax, insurance, servicing etc etc. Take fuel off which i get largely paid for anyway, and i’m guessing about 5 pence per mile. How does that compare to doing 70k on public transport? What’s a season ticket on the That Der London tube – several thousand or something?

hs125
    Free Member

Got rid of mine about 5 years ago and don’t miss it. The battery kept going flat it was used so little. Commuting by bike is much better.
    We do still have one old car, but it does very low milage, as does my motorbike.
    At the moment I wouldn’t want to be totally car free, because I like the convenience of having your own vehicle ready to drive whenever you need it, and the motorbike is so much quicker than public transport.
    Anyone belong to a car club? In theory they seem to be a good option, but unlike hire cars they aren’t going to have a full clean between each user. Anyone who’s used a pool car or van will know how gross the interior of a new vehicle can become in just a couple of months

miketually
    Free Member

If you run a car, I hope you still commute by bike – it makes you happier.

A wealth of literature from researchers studying stress and related effects reveals ‘persistent and significant costs associated with a long commute through heavy traffic’.

By contrast, studies comparing the experiences of commuting by bicycle and car report that cyclists find their mode of transport at least as flexible and convenient as those who use cars, with lower stress and greater feelings of freedom, relaxation and excitement.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

miketually I wished I could commute but my type of work evolves me having a 4×4 carrying around alot of equipment and towing trailers and bowsers and I wouldn’t fancy trying to tow our chipper behind my bike 😉

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Why? Some cars are low tax and older drivers may have low insurance. Mine is around £650 for a car that’s not cheap to tax and I’ve been driving for about 14 years which isn’t much compared to a lot of folk.

Kit
    Free Member

I’ll repeat:

£7 per day it cost me to own a 53 plate Mondeo estate, including all costs and depreciation i.e. £2,555 a year.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you run a car, I hope you still commute by bike

I do as much as I can. It is 20 miles and I have yet to do it more than 4 times a week 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone chosen to be car-less?’ is closed to new replies.