Home Forums Bike Forum Hardest Trail you have ever ridden

• This topic has 167 replies, 108 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by anc.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)
  • Hardest Trail you have ever ridden
  • matchstick
    Free Member

Cwmcarn, horrible first part and no flowing, aleast two section is unrideable with high rocks and a very deep tree roots, but the rest of the trail is good.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Few of the unknown trails on the Champery hill were pretty daunting too, it’s certainly redefined my opinion of what’s steep & rideable.

Too right. We rode one that had been a world DH course. I say ‘rode’, thats if you class sliding down on your ar$e hanging on to the bike as ‘riding’

wl
    Free Member

There’s a nice and steep but short section on Deliverance at Squamish.

kimbers

in the uk would be nant gwrtheyrn dh track steep and loose from the start

not me but you get the idea

Euro
    Free Member

JonSadist – Member

Euro – where is that? That looks like exactly my cup of tea!

It’s in Donard forest, Co down.

GRAEMEJONES

Derenaz with Phil & Jason.Long climb followed by a mental DH in the rain and fog/mist. Couldn’t see a lot(probably as well!)as my glasses were forever steaming up or covered in water droplets!Very nearly bailed on that one and was thinking about going back down on the fireroad, but Jase “persuaded” me that the rest was easier…Never been so glad to get down in one piece,oh, and the Bar was shut when we got to the bottom. 😳

cookies

651 trail Lake Garda

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Probably been the Ciaran Path for me. It was basically like riding down a stream the day I did it. The rocks were smooth, round and loose so the bike was all over the shop. It’s also quite up and down which combined with the conditions made it very hard physically. I’ve ridden more technical stuff but it’s usually shorter and less sapping.

rob2
    Free Member

The woods behind the nationwide in Swindon

End of thread 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Verbier: Various trails 🙂

solamanda
    Free Member

The original Champery world cup track after some rain. Words can’t describe.

Mugboo

after watching a couple of those vids i am redifining my idea of steep and techy and selling my bikes 😳

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Good thread this. I’ve been doing too much road mincing recently – need to get out and do something tech!

jimjam
    Free Member

Euro

It’s without a doubt the hardest trail i’ve ever ridden. It’s in this vid (starts 1.24) but the camera really doesn’t show how gawd darn steep, narrow and rocky it is. Makes me feel like a wee boy every time I ride it.

My current favourite trail, by a country mile. Absolutely love it. And yeah, it’s a bit steeper than it looks in the vid alright 🙂

Northwind

Guess I have to say Fort William… Not because it’s technically the hardest I’ve done, tbh it’s not close but because it’s such an allround challenge- tricky enough, steep enough, but long, fast, unrelenting… And all multiplied by the little bike By halfway down my arms and hands were just screaming. And then that feeds back into the difficulty o’course. Riding past the wallride onto the lower section that I already knew felt like surviving :mrgreen: Brilliant really.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I think some of the trails off pleny, morzine after a rain fall. I didn’t ride some sections as was solo but not sure mates around would have changed things. hoping to look at them again in the dry in the summer.

Parts of leckhampton hill keep me on my toes. found fort william dh fairly easy technically.

Golspie climb was fun.

Morgin freeride descent was steep and hilarious first time I rode it but easier the second year.

Can’t wait to try ullswater

walleater

Hey JonE,

Aye, I still give J-Claw a good old reach around on demand. Of a more heterosexual nature, I’m happily married, a permanent resident in Canadaland and a mechanic in a decent shop earning my millions. Got any plans to come over again in the near future?

mildred

Hardest trail ever ridden?

The uncompromising, take your life in your hands, come rain or shine, sheer mind killing crapness of it daily commute to work. Funnily enough, in contrast, the ride home is the easiest!!

mildred

Hardest trail ever ridden?

The uncompromising, take your life in your hands, come rain or shine, sheer mind killing crapness of it daily commute to work. Funnily enough, in contrast, the ride home is the easiest!!

I suppose when I think of “hard” in the context of riding I immediately equate hard with mentally draining/challenging, or difficult to maintain the motivation for, whereas any good or unknown trail might be physically demanding, physical pain is generally short-lived and easy to ignore, and as long as it doesn’t form part if the daily grind, all other riding is all good.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

Not sure about hardest but my 3 favourite toughies:-

Stainburn black when its green and greasy
    Kona Dark Side at Mabie
    Ride don’t slide in Whistler

anc
    Free Member

Rossett in the lakes is Harsh.
    There was a trail in whistler called ‘No Girly Man’ Not sure if it still exists this was 12 years ago now, but that was a bit mental I couldn’t believe people could actually ride that stuff! One section had a fixed rope to get down if you bottled it which I did! One of the guides up there who was from vancouver Northshore showed us it as is was off the beaten track. Its name still makes me smile when I think about that trip.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

Not sure if its the same one but we did Khybers which had a rope climb down feature. It also featued a mosquito infested swamp and lots of fallen trees which marred an amazing trail.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Champery is pretty mental, and the first race they ever did at glencoe was soul destroying… One particular corner springs to mind in in Sierra Nevada as being a ball buster too. Damned if I can remember the name.

bellerophon
    Free Member

robdob – Member
    Tell me where this Ullswater beast of a trail is!! Grid ref maybe? Must go and ride it soon!!

It’s this one here

and it has been mentioned several times now, so defo one to do

robgarrioch

Not having tried anything in the exotics, the most frustrating one I’ve experienced is part of the Tollie – Slattadale track at the NW end of Loch Maree.. Western end is ok –
    [/url]
    but the bottom section is a boulder strewn nightmare that refuses to allow a wheel to turn more than a few metres.
    [/url]
    A few days clearing a route would make one of the Highland ‘must-do’s’. Granted, it doesn’t look too bad in the photo, just be aware if it’s on your radar. It’s part of a Kenny Wilson route too, but I’m sure it’s lost a few inches of hard-standing through erosion.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m happily married, a permanent resident in Canadaland and a mechanic in a decent shop earning my millions. Got any plans to come over again in the near future?

Living the dream, eh? Good stuff! Plans to come over? Quite possibly, but not sure when. Maybe 2012?

Give John a slap and tell him I said hello.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m happily married, a permanent resident in Canadaland and a mechanic in a decent shop earning my millions.

Where are you based and do you have any jobs going?! 😀 I’ve just had my Canadian working holiday visa accepted and paid for it so I now need to see how I’m actually gonna earn enough money to keep me going there and in reasonable distance of trails. email is in my profile if by luck you do know of any jobs going 🙂

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I think Lining Cragg,North of Greenup edge central Lakedistrict is one of the hardest I have “attempted to ride”,Hopefully i will do it again this year and make a better job of it!

The ullswater singletrack is also exellent and a real challenge for any mountainbiker,theres nothing really steep though, its just about momentum,sticking yer tongue out and going for it.. 🙂

GaVgAs
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY68Qza_F3Q

Lining cragg decent,Both myself and Max Cousins got about halfway down before dabbing, I tink its possible to clean but it might take a few sessions to do it,Its not good to get too either.. 😐

13thfloormonk

Anyone else remember the first year they held the Scottish downhill series at Strathyre? 😀

juiced
    Free Member

some of the technical Descents in Les Arcs with TA.

senorj

Elephants tail – Alpujarras , Spain, c/o Ciclomontana
    I think is the hardest/scariest for me.
    The penalty for failure is high.
    Never cleaned it all in one go , but I do more every time i go.

hairyscary

Lemmings in the Alpujarras for the ‘if I get this wrong I’m dead thoughts’ and…

winstonsmith – Member
    seosamh77 – i think that singletrack back down from lochan fada is the trickiest thing i’ve ridden in scotland. it didn’t help my confidence that i was trying it on my own. steep, tight and rocky…

as you say tho, stunning views up there

I did exactly the same. You need someone with you for that ride.

Wookster

Borderline lords wood cant get my self and bike down that £&@@ing trail!!!! With out dabbing nothing a chain saw and mini digger would sort!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Nan Bield with Danny Mac/Rowan Sorrell filmed last year..

Full Vid here..http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/04/video-mojo-trail-diaries/ 😉

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ve only really MTB’d in Scotland. Technically hardest natural trail I’ve done is the Drochaid Coire Lair to Achneshellach section of the Torridon loop.

Ciaran Path is physically tough but but by a long way the worst “downhill” trail I’ve done. As much climbing as going down, and the down sections are mainly loose rubble

DavidM
    Free Member

Coming down of Carnedd Llewelyn was the hardest thing I have tried to ride. Didn’t go so well. Quite a lot of tripoding and a decent amount of walking was done. A fairly intimidating drop and a super steep trail breaks up to sections of ace singletrack.
    The steep bit

The ridiculous bit

The rest of the steep bit. The 2nd bit of awesome trail is in the background

stevomcd
    Free Member

For something that is rideable but lunacy, probably Haute Voltige near Bourg Saint Maurice. Not terribly technical, but loads and loads of switchbacks, which get tighter and tighter as the exposure gets bigger and bigger. I nearly ran into a chamois the first time I rode it, which probably tells you quite a lot…

Have ridden (or indeed, failed to ride) harder trails, especially when out “prospecting” for new stuff but it’s not necessarily stuff that’s fun to ride.

Downhill, probably the World Cup (World Champs?) trail in Pila. Madness. Super-steep rooty corners with about 18″ steps between some of the roots!

ton

steepest/scariest/worst trail i have done is from the iron cross above brides le ban in the 3 valleys area.
    it follows the olympic cable car down.
    some might thing it nothing, but it terrified me.

walleater

_Tom_, I’ve sent you an email.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Hardest Trail you have ever ridden’ is closed to new replies.