Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)
  • Hans Rey- am i missing something?
  • Margin-Walker
    Free Member

he has also be credited with ‘inventing’ baggies for trail riding; when he was sponsored by adidas (probably still is) he started riding in football goalies shirts.

amazing.

oldgrump08 – Member
    Pretty cr*p ain’t he?

yeah , thats my point.

watch vids of other ‘pioneers’ – Hoffman , Haakonson, C Kelly, Mihelic, Palmer, Alcantara. They still look good considering when they were about.

Just think Hans Rey is/was stealing a living.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjyGiRrWfgY

disgusting skills, not a brake or V sign in sight (I know its off the topic but impressive)

hora
    Free Member

Keep it coming (both perspectives IMO). I’ve always noticed him there when reading mags/odd online reference. Mbr’s largish spread in the new issue features the peaks on a couple of areas we’ve ridden in the last week so that’s what made me think ok who is he?!’ If that makes sense!

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Don’t be hatin on the Rey, he paved the way!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKF0jUIANSA[/video]

This was when everything was under-engineered to shave weight, at the cost of rigidity, rideability and longevity (of bike and rider) Mullet and Lycra aside, he’s a hero.

phinbob

Whatever you think of Han Rey’s abilites you have to admit:

1) He has made the most of what talents he has got to make a living doing something he loves.

2) He has used his fame/position to do some good in the world.

Before slagging him further ask yourself if you have managed as much with your life.

mrmo
    Free Member

Hans Rey’s job is to get noticed, to get exposure for his sponsors, he does that.

Look at the other riders out their and how many of them have ever got the exposure, and still get it?

messiah
    Free Member

Back in your box… Hans is a deserving hero of the sport.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Not hating Rey, done loads for MTBing/world peace/chariteee mate.

Just saying that video jivehoneyjive posted sums what is cronic about him, not a trick that your average skilled MTBer could do. Roasting marshmellows etc. Makes me one to puke, how much do you reckon that video cost,the money could have gone to his charities, how many hanger on’s are with him…..

When hes actually pedalling on the bike hes got shocking form,he looks old and tired. Just not sure why hes got so many sponsors still.

And the music, dear god !

What tyres for a volcano ?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Quite an accomplished rider it would seem:

More Championships than you

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

he is a riding god… from back in the day..

thomthumb
    Free Member

not a trick that your average skilled MTBer could do

ride along a scaffold pipe, 6ft drop to flat. 2:15

druidh
    Free Member

kingkongsfinger – Member
    Just saying that video jivehoneyjive posted sums what is cronic about him, not a trick that your average skilled MTBer could do.

Average or skilled? That’s like saying Chris Hoy is no better a sportsman than your average Olympic Golds medallist 🙄

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Think it’s the Find DVD with him and Macaskill in it – comes across in that as per comments here, nice guy and good rider who obviously loves what he does enough to still be around doing it.

mrmo
    Free Member

Just not sure why hes got so many sponsors still.

How difficult is this to explain, Sponsors want the right exposure, Hans Rey gets them it. It doesn’t actually matter whether he can ride a bike or not.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Hans Rey is like Moses.

Exactlly what he did and didn’t do is hard to say, but everyone has heard of him, and are in some way influenced by what he did.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member

not a trick that your average skilled MTBer could do

ride along a scaffold pipe, 6ft drop to flat. 2:15

he wasnt even on a MTB.

Sponsors want the right exposure, Hans Rey gets them it. It doesn’t actually matter whether he can ride a bike or not.

shame….it should matter

filks

Mullet and Lycra aside, he’s a hero.

Surely because of the mullet and lycra he’s a hero. Legend from my school days. Then again Rob Warner was thought to have talent then…..and what happened to Dave Hemmings?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

filks – Member

… Then again Rob Warner was thought to have talent then…..and what happened to Dave Hemmings?

Ha Ha….love it. Rob Warner ….dont start me.

nuke

….and what happened to Dave Hemmings?

ST bumped into Pee Wee the other day at Interbike…

“How’s this for random? We bumped into UK mountain bike legend Dave Hemming! He now lives in Oregon and was on about buying more land there because having 12 miles of trails on his land isn’t enough.”

Interbike 2011: Random bits #1

stanfree
    Free Member

I cant see the point In this thread , Hans Rey has promoted mountain biking for decades and raised shit loads for African kids through ‘Wheels4life’ . He can obviously still ride as was evident in his video with Peaty and Danny Mac.
    If you want to see how biking has progressed go search a Poster boy Andy Ruffel BMX vid from the 80’s and then watch the current creme of the crop. Miles apart .
    It’s like comparing Bobby Charlton from the 60’s to Leo Messi from the current day.

clubber
    Free Member

to be fair Warner was talented. just lazy and couldn’t apply it. thankfully Peaty managed to have fun and train hard.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Theres not really anything to ‘get’ is there – he is a former champion trials rider, still riding for a living, promoting the sport and seemingly enjoying himself. Find it very hard to dislike him.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Hans Rey, Rob Warner and Dave Hemming are better than anyone on this thread. I bet they think on ones are shite too. A thumbs up from me.

djglover
    Free Member

Elbry Sandland, but of his time, and not from Devon

Lifer
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZSpvZ5AORE[/video]

’97/’98? I remember being blown away watching him in this (he comes in around 2.20). Compare him to Ashton and Hawes in the section before though.

neninja
    Free Member

I’d love to have even a fraction of the skills Hans Rey has. He was doing Akrigg/Macaskill style tricks (admittedly a little tamer) before they were born.

Some real nonsense spouted above as per the norm.

matt_outandabout

thatpeskylimey
    Free Member

Ha! Dave Hemming. Inventor of the “Open mouthed cool guy doing a trick on a bike” picture pose in MBUK back in the day. good stuff too! haha
    What happened to Zak Tempest/Brant Richards and the rest of team Mint Sauce?

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

I have known Hans for maybe 25 years. He makes a great living riding his bike, he is a wonderful guy with a passion for life, and a good showman.

Much of the cycling world has caught up with his once unique abilities, but Hans was doing trials before Danny MacAskill was born.

If Hans makes a living riding his bike at an age when “serious” athletes have had to retire, more power to him. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just jealous that he makes money doing what he loves.

racefaceec90

hans will always be rad in my eyes 🙂

HansRey

as a big fan of Hans, i’m unsuitably biased. But the videos he’s shot, bikes he has developed and designed and people he has aided through the wheels4life program speak only great things for his character and abilities.

walleater

In the late eighties he was promoting a ‘lifestyle’ I guess, rather than wearing pink lycra and racing around fields. I remember an ancient video where he was being interviewed at his house above a beach, and he jumped on his bike and rode out the back of his house and down some gnarly trail straight down to the ocean. At the time I was mostly whacking off over discarded jizz mags in my bedroom, or trying to do a wheelie on a 24″ framed Peugeot ‘mountain bike’, so he was pretty rad!

hora
    Free Member

Repack Rider I saw a documentary on the area not so long ago and the ‘old’ riders came back out on their bikes for the camera to relive and ride it again. Although it was before my time I really really liked it 8)

Also on the programme was a visit to the Chris King facility/factory but for some reason I got a negative feel from how they approached the production team (some areas not allowed to be filmed etc) and it seemed like a ‘forced’ persona but thats another thread I guess..

mintimperial

Repack Rider I saw a documentary on the area not so long ago and the ‘old’ riders came back out on their bikes for the camera to relive and ride it again. Although it was before my time I really really liked it

That was Rob Penn’s ‘Ride Of My Life’ and one of those ‘old’ riders was Repack Rider himself…

hora
    Free Member

That was it. Fantastically made, balanced and thoroughly recommend rewatching. 🙂

mintimperial

Yep. The book is pretty ace too if you like that sort of thing.

jimification
    Free Member

Seems like a pretty decent guy who has done a lot to advance and promote mountain biking and loves his job. It’s rather odd to be having a crack at him on a mountain bike forum!

hora
    Free Member

ITs not longer available 🙁

Reminds me of the BBC series in the Balkans ‘Warriors’ and another gritty London-based drama thats disappeared into the weeds. 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

It’s rather odd to be having a crack at him on a mountain bike forum!

There are some people on here who are a bit up themselves odd.

ChrisHeath

How difficult is this to explain, Sponsors want the right exposure, Hans Rey gets them it.

This

Theres not really anything to ‘get’ is there – he is a former champion trials rider, still riding for a living, promoting the sport and seemingly enjoying himself. Find it very hard to dislike him.

And this.

Anyway, we’ve had enough videos of crap, talentless Mr Rey. Lets see how it’s really done – somebody post some vids of Margin Walker.

🙂

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    He’s not Danny Mac but feeble? Hardly….

Exactly! From the same series…

What a pussy!

Seriously STW…what a bunch o’ whingers 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Hans Rey- am i missing something?’ is closed to new replies.