Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • Hans Rey- am i missing something?
  • hora
    Free Member

I’ve no idea who he is. Flicking through the new mbr mag and I’m not exactly young but ……………….I’ve no idea who he is. Am I ‘wrong’? ….or do I leave in a cave?!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No way!

(See what I did there? 🙂 )

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

LOOK! A MAMMOTH!! GET THE SPEARS!!

scratch
    Free Member

Is he still riding for GT?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Hans ‘no way’ Ray is just wrong….its a derogatory term round here. The term ‘stealing a living’ has never been more apt

GT ….yes.

thatpeskylimey
    Free Member

He is I suppose one of the original mtb scene guys – legendary for jumping on and off things in a kind of akrigg-esque way if you were to compare it to modern times. Always sponsored by GT and supposedly all round nice guy.

mrmo
    Free Member

what can i say, for anyone who has been around bikes for a while, Hans Rey is one of those riders from another era.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

thatpeskylimey – Member
    He is I suppose one of the original mtb scene guys – legendary for jumping on and off things in a kind of akrigg-esque way if you were to compare it to modern times. Always sponsored by GT and supposedly all round nice guy.

legendary for being feeble, doing endo’s on the great wall of china and wheelies whilst doing the Churchill V. Rad.

nuke

Preferred Jez Avery

Never did manage to get an Etto helmet 🙁

TheBrick
    Free Member

What’s the deal Margin Walker? What has Ray done that is bad?

mrmo
    Free Member

MrKmkII
    Free Member

this is a really weird troll. isn’t it?

Woody
    Free Member

Jeez – no respect for your elders and betters you young’uns 😐

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

What Margin Walker said “hes bizmola, back hops on the “Great Wall of China” was his career highlight, No idea why hes still sponsored by GT and dozens of others, maybe its a German think like they all love “The Hoff”

saying that his palmares is superb, but i reckon hes still shit.

scratch
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

Its just one of those ‘hear the name/see a pic’ every so often but I’ve not really thought about it. Looking at the mag there’s a feature in that mag and it occurred to me that I know zip about him.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

He is a joke. He isnt even that rad or extreme. Never has been. Does back hops and endo’s whilst posing with the V. He does the same shit tricks but thinks by doing it in some weird place then its ok, “no its not Hans , your still shit” – sorry but he wasnt good in 1990 , he is completely irrelevant now.

Was there a vid recently where he was riding with McAskill, it was embarrassing. He was embarrassed and he continued with his biz tricks.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Saw some footage a few years ago of him riding mountain trails – very fast, very smooth, using his moves to ride the trails rather than for show.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

That photo sums him up…..FFS !!

tomaso
    Free Member

He taught me my favourite trick – the no footed endo.

For context Hans Rey came onto the scene at a time when everything was very XC focussed and was a breath of fresh air. He is cool but his haircut has never been cool.

phil56

I enjoyed this vid, and one thing that always comes across from people who meet him is that he’s a very nice and unassuming guy.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6JnQjvjrhg[/video]

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

No footed endo , what about Bob Haro, Eddie Fiola , Mike D, C Campbell.

iDave
    Free Member

He’s not Danny Mac but feeble? Hardly….

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Photo caption time folks….

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

sorry but disagree, he takes his portfolio of 2 tricks and does them in ‘rad’ places as previously stated.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

(sorry never seen the Bush photo before…..I take back everything I’ve said- thats off the chart)

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Chino’s and mullet while back hopping, awesome dude !

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Does a lot outside of his celeb work as well I believe? http://wheels4life.org/

aracer
    Free Member

i reckon hes still ****.

Yeah – much <swear filter avoidance>er than you

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice guy who rides bikes an gets paid for it. Then does a lot of great work for charideee.

Me thinks Margin Walker has a touch of the green eyed monster…..

JohnClimber
    Free Member

iDave’s shot abaove is ok but for the bigger picture of where it was taken and the risks involved you need to see where it was taken.

The rock he’s hoping on has since fallen into the sea

angryratio
    Free Member

‘he’s not rad’

What the heck is this place pinkbiketrackworld.com?

Woody
    Free Member

It’s funny that someone so shit has been able to make a very decent living out of the sport for so long. Mtb vids look very tame compared to what is done nowadays but the same could be said for many sports, especially skiing where Glen Plake gets a mention in the following vid. It doesn’t lessen the impact these guys had at the time.

The following vid gives some idea what he is about…..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-OyTIgF9E[/video]

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Pretty cr*p ain’t he?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Hora, check this dude out. He turned up, they all laughed at him, he kicked their buts and then said “seeya”.. He was off the chart

thomthumb
    Free Member

hans rey had a massive influence on modern mountain biking – he pushed what we now see as ‘trail riding’ with his adventures when the rest of the world was xc or downhill. he has also be credited with ‘inventing’ baggies for trail riding; when he was sponsored by adidas (probably still is) he started riding in football goalies shirts.

the man was the first ‘crossover trials star’ made way for avery and the martin brothers.

oh and he was in pacific blue. 😉

LimboJimbo

Was there a vid recently where he was riding with McAskill, it was embarrassing.

A bit harsh judging pioneers against contemporary riders really. Mountain biking is a relatively young sport with an incredible rate of progression. Take a look at You Tube footage of early 90’s downhill racing compared to now. Would you judge John Tomac so harshly compared to say, Danny Hart? Though not mind blowing by todays standards, Hans Rey built the profile of the sport massively in the nineties and I dare say sold a whole bunch more Zaskars than Juli Furtado ever did.

Woody
    Free Member

kingkongsfinger

Nice one. Mr P was one of the most talented sportsmen I have ever seen and doesn’t get nearly enough credit because he never really stuck at anything for very long……….even snowboarding!

qwerty
    Free Member

I bet he’d whoop each and every one of your arses down any given trail, dude was changing the direction of (xc) mtbing into something different that most of you probably aspire to today on your am/fr/dh/gnarr bikes

clubber
    Free Member

Hora , check this dude out. He turned up , they
    all laughed at him, he kicked their buts and then
    said “seeya “.. He was off the chart

he was never laughed at. he did act like a cock sometimes and couldn’t deal with Vouilloz almost always beating him (particularly as Nico didn’t fit the Rad party animal cliché) especially at the World Champs so quit blaming all sorts of things. Superbly talented rider though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Hans Rey- am i missing something?’ is closed to new replies.