• This topic has 53 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Gulp: Seems I’ll be moving to Glasgow in Sept
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂

BillMC

Definitely into that dreadful duff Camra pish with twigs. I’ve been totally spoilt by the offerings in places like Manchester, Liverpool, Kelham Island, absolutely ruined.

Rona

Love Glasgow! Very friendly. I was at the concert hall before lockdown and overheard a nearby gentleman telling his companion that when he moved to the city as a student, a wee old lady from nearby wandered over to help him in to his new digs with his bags … that sums the place up for me (although, granted, I’ve never tended to wander about the rougher areas after dusk!)

squirrelking
    Free Member

Definitely into that dreadful duff Camra pish with twigs. I’ve been totally spoilt by the offerings in places like Manchester, Liverpool, Kelham Island, absolutely ruined.

Bon Accord and Clockwork it is then!

will
    Free Member

Moved to Glasgow in Nov 2017, and probably one of the best life decisions I have ever mate, can’t see me ever moving away tbh. Amazing riding and running from the door (west end) and only 45mins to proper mountains. As a base to explore the rest of Scotland, it’s really very good.

Made loads of good friends, the food scene is excellent, good transport links to rest of country, cheap house prices.

HughStew

Probably my favourite city in the UK, all cities have grotty areas and some horrible people, but Glasgow is full off excellent bars and restaurants and has a real buzz about it. I worked there for a year and was slightly trepidatious about going there, especially as a an RP speaker, as long as your not too up yourself I found the people to be generally great with an excellent sense of humour.

Rona

HughStew – Yes! – sense of humour – can’t beat the Glasgae banter.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Glasgae

Naw. Just naw. 🙂

lovewookie

I’ve been in Glasgow for 20 years now, moved up from Newcastle to do my PhD.

I liked Newcastle, it is a great city to be a student in and I found it very welcoming and accepting of pretty much anyone.

I moved to Paisley initially. not for long though, so I kinda try to forget about that few months….moved up to glasgow as soon as I could.

compared to Newcastle, it was a small shock to the system. Hearing drunk men arguing at full volume at 2pm outside central station on a saturday wasn’t what I was used to. then however realising that after the argument, they hugged and went their separate ways, they were just having a drunken conversation..the language is a litle aggressive sounding for my worcestershire middle england ears.

I quickly got used to the banter, the hilarious stuff that comes out of neds mouths and a general acceptance, that in trying to follow glasgwegian conversation I was only going to get about 60% of it.

The city has grown and developed over my 20 years. seems softer and more accessible in areas that were once places to avoid (there are still places to avoid though)

The proper local city people are quite old fashioned, values set in community and family, though west end and more fasionable areas are losing that a fair bit, it still pokes it’s head through.

as said previoulsy, realy good food, really good junk food and really good decent food. especially good for vegan/veggie choices too.

also, music. lots of venues, lots of gigs (when we can sensibly do that stuff again)

it’s all quite welcoming.

short trip out of it and you’re in mountains and scenery.

I keep considering moving back down to my home town of Malvern, but I’d miss the easy access to the variety.

Hohum
    Free Member

I went to uni there in the early 90s.

I don’t know if I was depressed when I arrived there or the place made me depressed, but I did not like it that much.

jacobff

I moved there in 2015 after living in Watford & Reading until then.A change but a good one. Lived briefly in the Southside and then West end and loved both.

I live in Stirling now but still work in Glasgow and love the city. Find it very friendly and has everything I could wish for.

Great running clubs, restaurants and pubs plus lots of good biking of every kind relatively close.

Rona

Naw. Just naw. 🙂

😀

menothim
    Free Member

Thanks all. Reassuring then.

Will be in Glasgow City Centre as I own a place there that’s been let for years – needs a reno, so we’ll move there and do that and then see where we fancy after that.

Working from home will be no dramas – quite used to it and there’s enough space in the place.

The key thing will be keep a focus on the benefits and the access to other places rather than worrying too much about the Weege itself.

mashr

As an aside – anyone in Lenzie/Kirkie and eastwards, the wee trails at Twechar are lovely at the moment and someone might have decided to try and take on the bracken that closes them off every summer…..

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Gulp: Seems I’ll be moving to Glasgow in Sept’ is closed to new replies.