• This topic has 53 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Gulp: Seems I’ll be moving to Glasgow in Sept
  • menothim
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll be moving to Glasgow in late summer – and now that it’s sort of real, I’m nervous.

Have lived there before and have something of a love/hate relationship with the place.

Will be living super central and working from home.

Have been away from the Dear Green Place for many, many years.

It’s changed for the better hasn’t it? It will be okay won’t it? Heading there from SE England and stints living/travelling/working around the world. It’s not totally parochial or nedly is it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not totally parochial or nedly is it?

Not any more than any other city is. Why super central, if you’re wfh? that’s an opportunity to live anywhere, there’s some braw places within 20 miles of Weej.

globalti
    Free Member

The single redeeming feature for Glasgow is its closeness to the Highlands and Islands.

duncancallum

I love Glasgow, its certainly improved over the years.

City’s a nice city centre. Some Outskirts are still not brilliant mind

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The single redeeming feature

I’m by no means a fan, and probably wouldn’t live there, but that’s just silly.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I studied there in the ’90s and boy has it changed (for the better) since then. Granted losing some of the slightly rougher edges is a bit of a shame but I think that if I were given the choice it’s somewhere I’d like to live.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Some areas of Glasgow are pretty nice. My daughter bought a flat near Kelvingrove and the area round there is great.

irc

Some Outskirts are still not brilliant mind

“A cyclist has been stabbed and another injured in an unprovoked attack by a gang of eight men in Renfrewshire.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-52819358

Mostly Glasgow is OK. In years of bike commuting I only had to swerve to avoid drunks/neds coming onto the road to attack me three times. All around midnight going home after a lateshift Maryhill/Royston areas.

Currently in a leafy suburb but I wouldn’t think twice about going back to live in central Glasgow or west end or south side.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s lots of great bits in and around the city, Kelvingrove area as above, Gorbals, most of the southside, Cowcaddens, loads of the east end too. I’m at uni one day a week in the city, and run there when I can, it’s a great way to see the place, and loads of areas that were off the radar 10 years ago most definitely aren’t now.

oldtennisshoes

Merchant City?

Much of Glasgow is a construction site at the moment but it’s still a great city.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I miss Glasgow and would certainly prefer living there than my present location. Lived there from mid 2001- early 2008.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I have spent the vast majority of my working life in the absolute shitiest bits of Glasgow and i’ve never once felt anything other than welcome.

I’d hope the OP feels that when he gets here too.

moonsaballoon

Moved to glasgow for a year in 1999 , am still here . I think it’s a great city to live in .

phil5556

I got sent to Glasgow 10 years ago for work from the South coast and I can’t see me ever wanting to move back down south. Apart from midges I love it up here.

We moved out to Troon to be on the coast but Glasgow is only 35 minutes away & easily accessible. I lived in the West End for the first 4 years and really enjoyed it despite not being a natural city dweller.

mashr

When you say super central do you really mean central Glasgow, or central Scotland? As above, going right into the city would be an odd move when there are so many easy places to commute from

poah
    Free Member

“A cyclist has been stabbed and another injured in an unprovoked attack by a gang of eight men in Renfrewshire.”

Renfrewshire is not Glasgow and that took place in a town Kilbarchan which is a 40 min train ride to the centre.

BillMC

Had a briefish visit this year. I was impressed with how friendly, civilised and clean it was. Even Wetherspoons had challenging quiz. My only concern would be the paucity of decent ale. The Station Hotel is a treat.

ransos
    Free Member

Glasgow’s a great city. I’d happily live there.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Wetherspoons … paucity of decent ale

I live out on the north side of Glasgow and if I was heading into town for some decent ale, the last place I’d be visiting would be Wetherspoons. There are at least two indie breweries a baw hair from the city centre (probably more), plus a variety of pubs selling the output from the plethora of micro breweries that have sprung up all across Scotland.

Speaking as an Aberdonian, and it breaks my heart to say this, but Glasgow is an okay place to live and work. Like Perchy, I work in some of the less salubrious areas of the city and, although there are a good selection of dicks inhabiting the place, the overwhelming majority of people I interact with a great, with the current lockdown really bringing out the absolute best in very many of them, despite the kicking they’re getting down at the bottom of the economic ladder.

Anyway, back on topic – Glasgow is a fine place to stay, although my vote would be to keep to the north side of the city for maximum access to the good stuff.

mt
    Free Member

Why? you make sound like your being forced.

seosamh77
    Free Member

irc
    In years of bike commuting I only had to swerve to avoid drunks/neds coming onto the road to attack me three times. All around midnight going home after a lateshift Maryhill/Royston areas.

😆

matt_outandabout

Anyway, back on topic – Glasgow is a fine place to stay, although my vote would be to keep to the north side of the city for maximum access to the good stuff.

I would concur.

That said, you couldn’t persuade me back to a city now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

To be fair, Glasgow is such a small city, and the traffic is never really that bad, so Southside isn’t exactly that much further for accessing the north, it’s not like trying to cross London.

Waderider
    Free Member

Only city I’ve ever liked.

I’ve lived in Bangor Northern Ireland, Glasgow West End, Beauly Highlands, Cambuslang Glasgow East End, Appin Highlands, and Gairlochy Highlands, in that order.

The best place for road cycling was Cambuslang on account of North Ayrshire from the door. The best place for a two hour singletrack batter on the MTB was Cambuslang, on account of trails I helped create on brownfield sites and green belts.

The highlands might be better for big MTB days out, but they’re still in reach. As an outdoors enthusiast how Glasgow isn’t a massive improvement on down south I’ve got no idea!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    To be fair, Glasgow is such a small city, and the traffic is never really that bad, so Southside isn’t exactly that much further for accessing the north, it’s not like trying to cross London.

It’s about 50 minutes from my house to aberfoyle, 30 minutes to stirling.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, we sometimes moan about traffic, but compared to the SE, it’s bugger all really, even I’m only an hour from Stirling.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I love Glasgow. You have loads of bike commute options using the Clyde, kelvin and linking lots of parks. Small enough that you can easily ride out of it. Friendly. Fantastic, fantastic music scene. Great bars, clubs and now-a-days great restaurants. Celtic connections festival. Art galleries. Nice people. I love it and loved living there. In my twenty years I had one attempted mugging (I was drunk, had a bad day and didn’t deal with it well, it should have been nothing). A couple of times neds tried to drag me off my bike but I rode through the Clyde bike tunnel 10 times a week, usually very early and very late, for several years. Never had any other issues. On no, once a gangster wanted to kill me but that was on a works night out in a very exclusive members only club and I think it could happen anywhere. It was my most scary moment though, I’ll never forget the way the bar emptied and even the bartenders disappeared. I had so many more issues living in London, or the north of scotland for that matter. Great place, enjoy it! Written by someone who very definitely isn’t a city person.

Edit. Just to say the only thing I hated was the smell of the underground and the rush hour on the M8. Both solved by biking more.

squirrelking
    Free Member

My only concern would be the paucity of decent ale.

The Bon Accord has that well covered, there is the Clockwork in the southside and West brewery towards the east. If you haven’t found any decent ale you can’t have looked hard.

Renfrewshire is not Glasgow and that took place in a town Kilbarchan which is a 40 min train ride to the centre.

That’s Kilmarnock, Kilbarchan is about 15 minutes away.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Glasgow is a brilliant place to live.

I’ve cleared maryhill flats, shared the lifts with pishy mattresses and mad raving junkies and wee old ladies and had goid chat (not from the mattress). Its great.

I got punched once. By a pissed student outside best kebab.

Its way nicer placer to live than Edinburgh.

Spin
    Free Member

The single redeeming feature for Glasgow is its closeness to the Highlands and Islands.

This is definitely a benefit but it’s utter bollocks to suggest it’s the only good thing about Glasgow. Unless you’re the kind of person who just hates urban life in general or values a wise crack over an honest assessment.

Spin
    Free Member

I got punched once. By a pissed student outside best kebab

Sorry about that. No hard feelings eh?

Spin
    Free Member

. I was impressed with how friendly, civilised and clean it was

We’re scrubbing everyone up in preparation for independence.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ha.

I was also pretty drunk. We might have been taking the piss out if them for being **** to the guys serving.

Unfortunately how we did this was in our usual manner of one guy shouts idiot and everyone who agrees throws their hand in the air.

BoardinBob

My only concern would be the paucity of decent ale.

Unless youre talking about that guff Camra pish with twigs floating in it…

Drygate
    West Brewery
    Ride Brewing Co
    Merchant City Brewing
    Grunting Growler
    The Allison Arms
    Shilling Brew Co
    Koelschip Yard
    Bavaria Brauhaus
    Six Degrees North

Etc
    Etc

BoardinBob

once a gangster wanted to kill me but that was on a works night out in a very exclusive members only club

29 on Royal Exchange Sq? Gangster central

MartynS

I’m quite jealous.. On the surface I’d love to move to Glasgow.

I was born in Stirling and then lived in bishopbriggs until I was 4, we then came to Manchester. I still have a very weird feeling of “home” in Glasgow.

I’ve done a bit of work up there over the last few years and I really like the city. The work I do is WAY more interesting up there, just not as well paid!!

I’ve relatives in Lenzie and grandparents lived in Strathblane/Blanefield at the foot of the campsies and I remember it being lovely!

Its such a small city you’re  not far from the countryside .. what’s loch lomand, 30 mins??

West highland way starting point in Milngavie.. 20 minutes from central station..

do it….

Oblongbob

I live near Kilbarchan, which by the sound of it is a hotbed of cyclepath knife crime. I cycle near where the attack happened frequently. Bit worrying. You occasionally get a pack of neds on the cyclepath and I do worry when commuting late in the evening but never heard of anything like that. Generally it’s pretty nice round here, but I guess shit happens.

bruk

Spent my University days in Glasgow in 90’s and loved it. Mind you I started off in Dundee so wasn’t a high bar.

Used to go back regularly but not been properly for a few years. I’d love the chance to spend some time there again and given we might not be able to leave the country for holidays I think it might be up for a few days in Glasgow if we do get the chance

Given how much Dundee has improved over that time I can only imagine Glasgow has done too.

Last trip was to watch the Judo at the Commonwealth games. Spent the journey up winding up my mates about how rough it was and then parked up in Park Circus behind a Ferrari!

doug_basqueMTB.com

BoardinBob, I don’t remember. It was off George square, Ingram street maybe. Something club. They had a general bar plus a private member part and a club in the basement. Embarrassingly it was a works thing. On that occasion I honestly didn’t do anything wrong.

Spin
    Free Member

I guess a major negative is that you might bump into Sanny. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Gulp: Seems I’ll be moving to Glasgow in Sept’ is closed to new replies.