Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 3,696 total)
  • Guitarists of Singletrack…
  • edhornby

Hi Tagnut, there are lots of resources but it depends on where your starting point is

this video is pretty good and there are other beato videos (I’ve never read his book so can’t advise definitively)

if you have further questions, post them on here and I’ll help 🙂

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’ve been playing 12 months and think that learning the theory is best learnt as you progress otherwise it’s information overload. Learning the neck becomes much easier as you build your chord vocabulary, I’ve found Barre chords relatively easy to get a grasp of going down the mainly classical route.
    I got together with a drummer and bass player when lockdown eased and was surprised how basic most rock/pop stuff is.
    Yes I let my Strat come out to play and I didn’t stress about tone or my lack of pedals or whether my teeny amp cut the mustard either. 🤣

eddiebaby
    Free Member

After mentioning it a week or so back I was wondering about starting a new thread for 2021 but thought nope. Anyone else wants to then fine. Was maybe thing about a technique or theory thread and then remembered this is a bike forum.
    My aim for 2021 is to try to post a piece once a week. The Paul David “10 solos, one backing track” video got me trying to think more about what I’m trying to play. So time to pony up.

AdamT

I recorded (remotely) this Sam Fender track with my sister in law. I found the intro note surprisingly hard to get consistent and on the beat. She did the female vocal. I did everything else, but drew in the drums in Ableton cos I’m rubbish. Female vocals recorded on an iPhone, which came out better than expected

Guitars in the “video” are my green PRS SE Zach Myers, my son’s PRS SE 245 and my ibanez SR305.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Jesus! That is awesome. Ableton let you down by being the weak loop in the chain. Really good from both of you and your sister in law has a voice.
    Very envious.
    😳 Gives up on idea of posting music in future…

bazzer
    Free Member

Good work @AdamT good to have someone you can call on to deliver vocals like that 🙂

AdamT

@bazzer, totally agree, it’s great. My brother has been shielding and lives in a different region etc. We used to get together often for a jam . This is a poor substitute for that, but fun all the same. Really feel bad for musicians and venues though this pandemic.

bazzer
    Free Member

@AdamT I sent some stuff to a mate of mine to do some vocals for me on a song I wrote. It does work, but its not the same as being in the same room for me.

And people never send it back the way I want it 🙂 Yes it sounds better with reverb on it, but I want it dry so I can process it myself 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ll get junior to listen to that Adam.

Is anyone into guitar fettling to the extent of fretwork

I’m still on the refret on that old Sigma martin, I’ve accumulated tools over the years mainly from Thomann and the local DIY store. This is the first full refret I’ve done and has been a lesson in fret tang sizing. The Dunlop 6120 fit perfectly. They’re properly jumbo frets and getting an even curve not easy. The more time spent on the frets before fitting the less time spent dressing is what I’ve learned from the partial refret I did. I’m currently debating whether to fit the frets beyond comfortable reach. I never use any beyond 17 on a guitar without a cutaway and the frets don’t have an influence on neck relief beyond the neck joint so why fit them?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m currently debating whether to fit the frets beyond comfortable reach.

Maybe just fill the empty slots with a lighter wood veneer to give the visuals of frets?

Just found this fun little guide to Hendix’s chordal playing. Filled a few hours over the weekend…
    https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/jimi-hendrix-rhythm-guitar-chord-lesson

eddiebaby
    Free Member

guitarhero

Browsing my HD this morning and found this from 10 years ago. The contributors are listed below. Would be fun to do another sometime.

DavidB 0:00 – 0:36
    grieviuostim 0:36 – 1:11
    stratobiker 1:11 – 1:48
    lodius 1:48 – 2:26
    earl_brutus 2:26 – 3:00
    jond 3:00 – 3:35
    hummerlicious 3:35 – 4:11
    guitarhero 4:11 – end

Well with lockdown here again and bound to get worse I’m totally up for this, just a little 8 bar or 16 bar segment to work over, Either run them all together or we do it as separate pieces a la Paul Davids’ recent thing.
    Anyone able to put together a suitable track to record over? Something moderate tempo that could offer a few opportunites to stretch harminically…
    The Pauls Davids one

AdamT

@eddiebaby, i happily put a backing track together and whack the individual parts together. Can anyone think of any other “rules” that might be needed?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just a request to keep it under 180BPM. 🙂

That’s great Adam, let’s see if anyone else is interested.
    I thing register interest in trying and then a cutoff date allowing everyone a week or so to plan it and then find time to record it.

DavidB
    Free Member

Crikey was it really 10 years ago? My playing hasn’t got any better since

BoardinBob

I’m up for this

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m in, some good work on the last colective effort. The last one was in Em and slow, roughly 57bpm with people doubling it up to do their solos around 115bpm. How about Am and faster. A disco beat is around 125bpm, blues rock starts to move from 130bpm and at over 150bpm it’s swinging. Or go the other way and slow it right down to 90bpm for those who do want to do bits at 180bpm.

mutley

I’m in 🤘

AdamT

I was noodling around in Am anyhow and wanted to throw the odd interesting chord in there for fun. I’ll see what I come up with. Hoping that @chiefgrooveguru might pop in a bass solo… That would be cool

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Game on.

AdamT

Right then! Here it is. Slightly funky feel I think? A nice Am pentatonic will do you OK, but thought I’d make you think with some kind of strange Eb6(#11) thing in there just to “funk” you all up a bit 🙂 95bpm btw.

Chord sequence is: Am7, Eb6(#11), D9, Am7, Eb6(#11), E9(ish).

I suggest you each work out a section which is twice the sequence above, so 16 bars. This is about 40s worth.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Right, going to loop that and have it playing at low volume as I sleep and see what comes mind in the morning. Thanks Adam. 👍🏼

Edukator
    Free Member

Perfect Adam. Having spent 20 minutes noodling over it the ideas are coming. As you say funky, a Strat a greenbox and play something choppy.

What file format do you need and how can we get it to you?

bazzer
    Free Member

Chord sequence is: Am7, Eb6(#11), D9, Am7, Eb6(#11), E9(ish).

Showoff 😀

Will have a play later 🙂

I got a Native instruments Maschine Mk3 yesterday and Komplete 13. I know its mainly used by the young people “Making Beats” but its a completely different work flow to something like logic and for me means I create stuff that is different to normal.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Can’t hear the track at work but I’m keen. We did 3 of these back in the day if I recall, that I was involved with anyway, and they were all fun.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@AdamT Will you be making the track downloadable?

AdamT

Hi all, I updated the SoundCloud link to allow downloading. Happy jamming.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Whoop!!!

guitarhero
    Free Member

Watched the Paul Davids vid. Wow, Chris Buck.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

He talks it through on his channel and even gives a Transcription. Discovering him has been a source of much joy this last few months.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Dear Lordy. It seems I just ain’t funky!!
    Loving this. Thanks again Adam.

AdamT

If it makes anyone feel better, I’m having to think a bit about this. That Eb kinda forces you to do something a little different. Quite a few options I think. Can’t wait to hear what people are up to.

I have Ableton and Adobe CC (so have media converter). Wavs, MP3 and M4A are all fine. I did get the odd wav sourced from an apple product which was a pain though.

bazzer
    Free Member

Got it into logic, so will have a play over the weekend, looking forward to it 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

Watched the Paul Davids vid. Wow, Chris Buck.

Yeah, the guy is incredible. In another life he would absolutely be a Clapton / Brian May character. He needs a band* and a stage though! Or perhaps Youtube is doing fine for him.

*I’ve heard Buck and Evans. They’re not really my thing.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Had a couple of plays over the track now and getting there but it’s not an ‘easy’ jam. The last STW Rock jam track I did didn’t get a great response as a few struggled with the major key and it only modulated between B and A where the relative minor pentatonic worked easily over both.
    Ended up with only 2 contributors (plus myself), linked below if interested. Credits to grievoustim, stratobiker, guitarhero in order of appearance. Appreciate it maybe just wasn’t that great 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Excellent. And double excellent to stratobiker for slide and wah on there.

BoardinBob

Can’t seem to download it from SoundCloud anymore?

chipps

It downloaded for me directly off the link on the Soundcloud picture on this page, Bob

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a play over the weekend. Don’t think I’ve actually recorded any guitar for literally a decade, but I’ll have a go…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Struggling but enjoying it. Going for a ride my exercise now via loop to Tesco and on my return I’ll let my fingers warm up and start putting stuff down on silicon.

bazzer
    Free Member

Its really hard distilling it down to 16 bars, its like every note has to count 🙂

I am by no means a great player but I am thinking to myself that bits OK but not brilliant. Then I think is that bit a bit too similar to the other bit.

Its a lot of fun.

Production on backing track is nice. @AdamT, how did you record it?

bazzer
    Free Member

Also listening to the last jam, I now feel quite intimidated 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 3,696 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.