• This topic has 3,676 replies, 156 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by plumber.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 3,677 total)
  • Guitarists of Singletrack…
  • AdamT

It’s recorded using a scarlet 2i4. I DI’d the guitar and bass straight into Ableton and use Guitar Rig for the guitar & bass effects. The drums are a simple pattern from Addictive drums. The keyboard is a standard instrument in Ableton too. I threw it in quickly with hardly any takes to be honest. I may tart it up a bit for the final version.

bazzer
    Free Member

Does your 2i4 have pad on the inputs, both my guitars have pretty high gain humbuckers and I found even with the gain all the way down it would clip the input stage of the scarlet. I only have the 2i2 though.

AdamT

Yep. Part of the reason I got the 2i4 is for the pad feature. I have an active bass, so wanted this feature in order to cope with that as an input

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldtennisshoes

@AdamT can you expand on the need for the pad with an active bass? I got a steinberg interface at Xmas (Steinberg UR22 MkII Audio Interface), and when I’ve used it to record my active bass it sounds flat.

AdamT

Some active basses have a pretty high output and wasn’t sure if a non Pad input would be ok. In the end it would probably have been ok, but wanted the flexibility and other features too.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks, I think I’ll exchange it for a Behringer model that has pad options too 👍

mutley

I have a Behringer UMC202HD, it was relatively cheap but has lots of features, including pad buttons for each input, and good pre-amps

bazzer
    Free Member

@oldtennisshoes If its sounding flat(I am guessing you don’t mean out of tune 🙂 ) it could be impedance matching. Make sure you have the input set to an instrument and not a microphone.

@AdamT
    how do you want us to send the stems to you?

AdamT

Send stuff to my email is probably easiest.

adam AT titley DOT org.

bazzer
    Free Member

Email sent with stem, let me know if you need it changed in any way.

Cheers

Bazzer

PS it sounds weird listening to it without the backing track 🙂

AdamT

Right, so @Bazzer is in. How about the others get theirs in by say, Wednesday and I can whack it all together?

Bazzer in the mix

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Will do.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks @Bazzer I’ll check that.

chipps

So you just want the guitar soloed without the track and you’ll just line it up? Will you fix all my dodgy timing too? 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

ooooh! Got any autotune as well? 🙂
    (I’m assuming a stereo stem from the start of the first bar to the end of the solo will be OK. This is the first time I’ve ever done this and spent an informative 45 minutes learning about stems this morning. I’m putting a little delay on there as I tend to play against it but will not print any reverb to tape. Can I leave on a short echo tail of under half a second that you can fade or cut?).

AdamT

I do have some auto tune and I can fix a bit of dodgy timing too. 😀. I’m trying to leave it mostly raw, but might do the odd fix-up (for cash).

Yes please to soloed pieces. Should just be a case of lining it up, adjust levels and add a bit of light compression & EQ

AdamT

@eddiebaby, yes, you can leave an echo tail if you like. I’ll pop the stems in on individual tracks so in theory they can overlap. If the take starts bang on the beat that’s great, but I can easily crop a bit off the front if it’s too long.

Edit: I just put my own take in now too. I figured I didn’t want to be influenced by the other parts coming in. Who knew 16 bars would take so much thought.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve realised that junior has all our recording kit up in Paris but I’m sure I’ll find some way of recording it. Been skiing since Friday and got into a cold house so bopping around while noodling seemed a good idea. Would this fit with your ideas Adam? It’s a mix of penta and notes borrowed from the chord sequence.

Edit: just seen your thing about not wanting to be influenced. DON4T WATCH MY VID IF YOU DON4T WANT TO BE INFLUENCED 🙂

AdamT

Chill @Edukator I’d already done all of my bits. I might indulge myself a bass solo or breakdown! 👍

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just put my Line6 DT25 combos in the classifieds as I’m moving on soonish and won’t have space for it alongside my other amp. A great amp and if you have a Line6 FX with the L6 Link system it is no brainer to have a valve poweramp that reconfigures automatically as you change presets.
    The ad and a more of a description is here:

Latest Classified Ads

chipps

Right, tune done. Hope I’ve recorded it right. I lay down (is the right muso term?) a messy, random, first take kind of thing and then I don’t reckon I’ll better it… 🙂

I’ll get it emailed over!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

One more go at mine in the morning and then I’m done too.
    I’ve polished and rolled it in glitter but it is still (to quote Blackadder Goes Forth) “… a bit dungy.”

Edukator
    Free Member

Me too. I just plugged the headphone out on the Mustang amp into the computer and used the Windows recorder. This meant I couldn’t hear the amp when playing which is a bit odd, it’s hard to know how hard to hit the strings without hearing the amp. It sounds very clean, the tone not the playing, and it’s horribly compressed, all of the dynamic range that’s on the vid above has gone. There’s the full 40s worth rather than the 30s on the vid, it took a bit more noodling to work out how to end it. Mine’s the “supermarket music” bit.

bazzer
    Free Member

I was going to say it would be interesting to hear how people recorded their takes, but I am a geek.

I used an Ibanez RG521 Genesis on the neck pickup coil tapped. Into a Line 6 Helix with the standard Country Chorus patch but with the gain on the amp turned down a bit. That was straight into logic pro X on macbook via USB so the helix was used as the audio interface. I did record a dry signal simultaneously too and played around with guitar rig 6 on that, but preferred the Helix sound.

I have re-recorded it with the same patch with a short 300ms delay added and I not sure which one I prefer. I might end up sending that to Adam 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

I should really have a go at recording one of my tube amps. The mics I’ve got in the house are my phone and a Shure voice mic, both of which saturate well before the tubes do. I’ll have a go when Madame goes out with the mic on the opposite side of the room to the cab.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Had hoped to have a go last weekend but a large IKEA delivery put paid to that. Guess it’s tonight or never, so will put it in Logic, cycle record a few takes, jam along and see what comes out. Will probably use my new HX Stomp into Apogee Element > Mac > Logic, etc.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Guitar > Tuner > MojoMojo > THR10ii > GarageBand on iPad Mini

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ll just leave this here:

AdamT

I like the cartoon. It’s pretty true! In the same was as I’m confused about being a roadie/mtber I’m also confused about guitarist/bassist. I guess if there’s a good guitarist in the room I’m a bassist and vica versa. I might already have put a bit of a bass solo in the track already though, so I guess you found me out!? 😀

bazzer
    Free Member

What would you recommend for someone who is a bit bass curious @AdamT, would not want to spend a fortune, but would want something that its actually an instrument and not a toy 🙂

AdamT

After a bit of research I got an Ibanez sr305. I’m probably not the best person to ask though. I also got a 2nd hand Warwick rockbass streamer 5 string fretless which I absolutely love. I’m sure there are others who can contribute here.

Edit: the Ibanez appears to have gone up a bit since I got mine. Get something 2nd hand would be my suggestion

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@AdamT I’m confused as to my roadie/guitarist status. I always think I’d be better off carrying amps than plugging them in…

Some musicians get worse treatment from Larsen and his copyists…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

HAPPY SOUNDCHECK DAY!!!!! 12.1.21

A couple of things that came up on my feed whilst I’m putting off hitting the send button on my track.
    Rabea is a great guitarist and I love his bluesier side. A nice live studio recording in one take with the band at the end of the summer last year.

And now a reminder that not ALL the late 60s output was epic

chipps

@bazzer – I got a Cort PJ bass, which played great and sounded good too. Something like this: https://rguitars.co.uk/products/cort-action-bass-pj-open-pore-walnut

It was only my natural upgrade fever that saw me get a used Warwick Corvette, but the Cort was a great bass for a curious guitarist/basserist. Note that a Jazz style bass will have a skinny nut that won’t feel too alien to a guitarist, and a Precision is a nice baseball bat thickness. I now prefer the latter, though the Jazz is a great bass too.

Anyway, have a look at the Corts before you get all fancy…

AdamT

Ha! I think Chipps only sent me 8 bars (once through the chords @chipps?) So I decided to funk around and chop it all up for the second run through. I love messing around with this stuff. Hope you approve Chipps?

chopped

chipps

Really? I never could count bars… 🙂

I can do it again if you want…

AdamT

No, no need to re-record at all it sounds pretty cool like this I think. 👍 I doubled the speed of one of your little licks, which sounds pretty good I think.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve emailed mine through. Can you fix all the timings on mine too? 😀 I haven’t tried to record any music in about 20 years… I was happy enough with what I wanted to do but the execution needed more polish.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Damn it, never got any time tonight as I ended up working late then kids homework, etc. Oh well, look forward to hearing what everyone else came up with

AdamT

I got yours superficial. Sounding good! I fixed one tiny little timing bit 😀 and very slightly tweaked the pitch on your big bend. Just a note if you do it again, but your levels are a bit low. Nothing I can’t deal with. Thanks for all of this guys. It’s really helping me learn the tools.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 3,677 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.