Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 3,696 total)
  • Guitarists of Singletrack…
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

TC Electronics stuff is superb and looks great too. The reverb on my TC G System was the best I’ve ever used for guitar. Unfortunately I gig so infrequently these days I kept forgetting how to work it from gig to gig.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Another new tone toy:

1Q5A1260

I’m quite excited by this guitar though. I’ve always loved the look of the Korina Explorers.
    Just £322.

RustySpanner

I fancy the new Epiphone Firebird. 🙂
    Not spending £1500 on a Gibson, the LTD Phoenix are lovely but almost as much.

Pedalboard ordered from local music shop and I fancy a compressor.
    Can anyone recommend one?
    I’ve tried the MXR Dyna Comp but it’s noisy.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I fancy the new Epiphone Firebird. 🙂

I remember seeing a Japanese Firebird copy in Taphouses in Oxford back in the mid 70s. It even had the banjo tuners to complete the look.
    God I wanted that.
    These days I want the non reverse model a lot more. My mate Rachel had a genuine one and it was gert lush.

Pedalboard ordered from local music shop and I fancy a compressor.
    Can anyone recommend one?

I’ve not been a big compression fan but starting to get into it more as my consistency on picking is slipping. I use a multi FX now so can’t help. Check out the Andertons website though, they usually have lots of videos.

bob_summers

Some mention of the Classic Vibe Squiers – I have had an urge for a while now to get myself a Jazzmaster. I was leaning towards the J Mascis signature but I prefer the look of the white CV one. Are they really that good?
    The money would be better spent on a practice amp upgrade really but I just can’t shake this urge.

metalheart
    Free Member

I confess I’ve never played one but I thought the Mascis Squier had a decent rep.

I’ve serious GAS for a jag. Except I want one in olympic white or sunburst with a rosewood neck and a non matching headstock.

Struggling to find one I like for sub 1.5k… 🙈

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Got a late (!) Christmas pressie from a mate:

Slide-1

Very nice and chunky ceramic from Star Singer slides in Glastonbury (you’ve got to love a company run by Dolfinn Ruby Star Singer):

Slide-2

Up half the night pissing around in open tunings on the Variax.

bazzer
    Free Member

I have been playing a lot more due to lockdown and have not been spending money on my other hobbies, so 🙂

I picked up a Line 6 Helix floor and a Headrush FRFR speaker and I have been extremely impressed with it. I mainly got it for use with Logic pro as an interface, but find myself using it all the time.

I have also wanted a dual humbucker fixed bridge guitar for ages, finally bit the bullet and bought a Ibanez RG521 genesis in a lovely Jewel Blue colour. I wanted fixed bridge as other guitar has a floyd on it so is a pain to play with different tunings. This is just the ticket 🙂

RustySpanner

I’ve not been a big compression fan but starting to get into it more as my consistency on picking is slipping. I use a multi FX now so can’t help. Check out the Andertons website though, they usually have lots of videos.

Ta!

Never thought about a compressor until I borrowed a couple from friends – a Landlord cheapie and an MXR.
    Turns out I really like the effect on tone and really useful for late night practice.

Ordered the Orange Kongpressor after checking out a load of vids and reviews. 🙂
    Wouldn’t normally buy anything without trying it out but if it’s good enough for Pete Thorne and Henning, it’s good enough for me…..

I have also wanted a dual humbucker fixed bridge guitar for ages, finally bit the bullet and bought a Ibanez RG521 genesis in a lovely Jewel Blue colour. 

How are you finding it?
    I love my RG550, it seems it can do almost anything and I don’t think I’ve ever seen an instrument so finely made.
    It’s just a beautiful thing to play, never ceases to make me smile.
    Only tried one in the shop out of curiosity whilst Mrs S was playing with pianos, but I’m an Ibanez convert.
    It’s almost killed my GAS. Almost…..🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Classifieds seems a bit unreliable and there is no “Music” category so I have just listed a pristine 2 month old Line6 POD HD500X in the technology section if anyone is interested.

bob_summers

Apropos of nothing, I just remembered my first guitar I bought when I started work. Had to google a bit to find out what it was: an ’87 Custom Shop Soloist as it turns out. I just thought it was a generic Rob Roskopp-ish airbrushing. I found out later it was from a prog rock album with 10 minute songs and was horrified – excruciatingly uncool. Chopped it in not long after, as a deposit for a Steve Jones style Les Paul.

Really wish I’d kept it now!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You sold a King Crimson artwork guitar?!!! Heathen. 🙂

brassneck

I’ve serious GAS for a jag. Except I want one in olympic white or sunburst with a rosewood neck and a non matching headstock.

I had an Olympic white MIJ 66 reissue, rosewood neck. Nice guitar, some lovely sounds but I never jelled with it, just too complex. Swapped it for a very similar (maybe a year younger) Tele which is a better foil to the SGs

Edukator
    Free Member

Madame was out this afternoon so I plugged in the Marshall. When my ears started protesting I pressed the V.P.R. button, turned it down and recorded this:

Guess at which point she returned.

metalheart
    Free Member

I had an Olympic white MIJ 66 reissue, rosewood neck. Nice guitar, some lovely sounds but I never jelled with it, just too complex.

Ironically I probably had the exact same guitar (late 80’s) had a similar experience. Sold everything as a job lot early 90’s and walked away…

However, I didn’t have a Princeton back then (I had a shitty silver/black face trannie twin). I had my hotrod 52 tele for ten years before I gelled (I borrowed a vibro champ)…

elduderino12
    Free Member

Not sure which is the official guitar thread and apologies for the shameless plug but thought it may be of interest to somebody.

I’ve just bought the new Yamaha THR10ii Wireless, so I’ve listed my older version of this amp in the classifieds. Thought i’d try it on here before resorting to Ebay/Gumtree etc..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Brilliant amp, I have the non wireless version and it is my go to toy.
    I love my multi effects and amps but 90% of the time I just plug into the THR10 and get on with playing. Maybe 30 seconds with the app to tweak a chorus or echo but thats all.

THRII - 2-1

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those arriving in the post any day now, can’t wait. GLWS dude (I’m into the whole brevity thing).

elduderino12
    Free Member

Cheers – I’d wanted the wireless one for a while but they’d been out of stock for ages, finally got one and it arrived the day before my birthday.

As did a Little Lebowski Urban Achiever T-Shirt 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Been checking out some pedal review videos on youtube and I have to say that I really like Paul Gilbert’s approach to life, music and shit. Seems a guy it would be fun to have a beer with.

beej

Thanks for posting that, eddiebaby, kept me up to well past midnight watching it!

I’ve been a fan of PG since the Mr Big days – his solo stuff is quite eclectic.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Built another pedal – a ZVEX SHO clone.

But also realised my PSU is a noisy piece of crap, so have a Visual Sound OneSpot coming in the post.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Do you build from kits or design your own circuits? Always liked the idea of a homebuilt pedal.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Now I feel old. That young Stevie Vai kid turned 60 last Saturday. 🙁

eddiebaby
    Free Member

AND he’s been working on a new technique for him involving weird as frick bending within chords. Check it out from about 2:20 on.
    YES I know folk like the awesome Danny Gatton have been doing similar for years but this is well bonkers.

metalheart
    Free Member

All this pedal talk, eeek!

Just ordered me a Boss looper pedal… 🙄

This’ll bring my tally to a grand total of 2 (the other one is a vibro now redundant since I bought a Princeton…).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oooh, which looper?
    Pedals are an addiction I know.
    Mainly with OD/ Distortions as they seem to have subtle differences I can’t ignore in my head. I’m happy with 2 guitars and a versatile amp – a DT25, and with the Variax I could cut that to one guitar except I do like a trem now and then. I’m just waiting on a TC Electronics Ditto X4 looper and a MojoMojo and hopefully that will be it (until the next batch of Strymon Iridiums ship).
    I’m selling most of my camera gear as I’m closing that side of the business so I’m trying VERY hard not to blow the money on music stuff.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m a bassist – am I allowed in here?!!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hell yeah. ’tis a broad church.

Edukator
    Free Member

There’s a few of us who also play bass. Short scale in my case, mainly pop tunes with easy repetetive bass lines I can sing along to. I’ll have to record some to post here. 😉 My last vid, Jailhouse Rock, is just a walking bass line on the guitar.

chiefgrooveguru

Cool! I do deal with guitar things too (and unsurprisingly have never been in a band without a guitarist). I’m also a bit prone to playing bass like a guitar at times!

Edukator
    Free Member

So you’re Alex. I’ll take the opportunity to ask why bass cabs either use 10″ or 15″ drivers with a horn/tweeter but almost never 12″? I can’t make my mind up between a 2×15 or a 4×10. At present I just use my guitar cabs which aren’t “tight enough”.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Wow! Didn’t realise we’d got muso royalty on here!

In case folks are unaware, Barefaced make probably the best guitar and bass cabs on the market today!

I had an old compact for a few years when I played more bass. Had a loan of one of your 112 guitar cabinets for a tour in December and January….hands down the best on stage guitar sound I’ve ever had.

chiefgrooveguru

“So you’re Alex. I’ll take the opportunity to ask why bass cabs either use 10″ or 15″ drivers with a horn/tweeter but almost never 12″?”

That’s me! Loads of bass cabs nowadays use 12” speakers. But historically, bass cabs generally used 15” or 18” speakers whilst guitar cabs used 12” speakers. Then in 1969 Ampeg had the bright idea of the 8×10” which I’m pretty certain was to give them enough voice coil area to handle the power of the new SVT 300W amp and because that was SO good in loud bands, it became the standard.

And because 12” speakers were associated with guitar it became pretty much a tribal split, with no science behind the decision.

I think this can be my next video!

Edukator
    Free Member

Ta, your Super Twin 2×12 bass cab is very tempting.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Very nice stuff guys!

I am learning bass as well. Have a P-Bass someone lent me and working my way through the Fender Play lessons.

Interestingly, I use a Marshall VBC4x12 bass cab for both bass and guitar. Also use my old Orange OR120 for amps on both as well:

View this post on Instagram

Tower of Power @orangeamplifiers OR120 and Dark Terror @randallguitaramps RM20 @marshallamps_uk VBC bass 4×12 @fender Japanese Strat 4 fuzz pedals and a @tcelectronic nova system

A post shared by Craig Turner (@iamthebeerjesus) on

Someone was asking about the pedals I built. They are from kits – https://www.jedspeds.co.uk/
    pretty good kits, and the guys is helpful if you are rubbish at soldering like me

AdamT

I got a 2nd hand Warwick rockbass streamer 5s fretless. I love the sound of fretless and it’s a fun challenge (esp with no fret markers)

metalheart
    Free Member

Oooh, which looper?

Boss RC-3.

@chiefgrooveguru
    : woah, ties to Watt, we’re not worthy…

Edukator
    Free Member

It would take Norman Watt-Roy to make my knees go funny. When I pick up a bass the first thing I play is usually Wake up and Make Love with Me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 3,696 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.