Home Forums Chat Forum Grand Designs – full commitment again…

Viewing 21 posts - 481 through 501 (of 501 total)
  • Grand Designs – full commitment again…
  • longdog
    Free Member

Well it was definitely an improvement on what was there

I thought the original building looked great

Well yeh if it was in better condition. I’d no problem whatsoever if that had actually been renovated. Old and interesting buildings are cool.

We also thought the outside stairs were bonkers. Everyone seeing you in your PJs when going up and down for a cuppa lol!

Sandwich

Hmmm, another one using their “commercial” teams to build their personal projects . I wonder how much of that cost “disappears” into other jobs ;)

I suspect somewhere a VAT officer will be submitting a note into the system today. I would aslo expect that the HSE may spare an inspection to an ongoing project having seen the state of the “edge protection” installed for work at height.

Came across as a “rules are for other people entitled git”. The neighbour could have made that over run by several more years by use of the submitted plans and objecting to any built, unapproved variations.

revs1972
    Free Member

We also thought the outside stairs were bonkers. Everyone seeing you in your PJs when going up and down for a cuppa lol!

im sure the 3d models showed a second staircase inside the building for such purposes

Mugboo

If you want an alterative, This chap, Alec who used to help out up at Stainburn has an interesting project on the go.

He has a background in filming (he did us some trailbuilding video’s) and its also worth having a look for his Yamaha TR1 project too. He’s a talented chap.

P20

I’ve driven passed that location a few times for work and not realised it was a going to be a home, thought it was the coast guard updating. Great location, but an odd build and a very odd way of going about things.

The 25yr look back a fortnight ago was quite fun

stugus
    Free Member

How on earth did he consider that as a refurb when there was nothing left but a party wall?! Not surprised it was knocked back.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I wonder how much he paid off the planners and neighbours with.  Should have been rejected purely on the basis he knocked the old one down instead of renovating!

And leaving that chimney teetering after the demolision!!!!

pocpoc
    Free Member

Nice to see something relatively understated and lowish budget compared to some of the monstrosities they noramlly start a new series with. Yeah the guy was a bit of a tool with plenty of loopholes to exploit, rules to break etc (normal Grand Designs candidate) but the end result is actually quite fitting with what was originally there.

However, that only works if you know what was there before. For the thousands of tourists who will pass it they will see a glass cube stuck on the end of a terrace of Edwardian houses and wonder who approved that.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m surprised he had permission to bring the front of the property so far forward compared to his neighbours.

halifaxpete

Hmmm, another one using their “commercial” teams to build their personal projects . I wonder how much of that cost “disappears” into other jobs

Perks of the job innit! I’m a subby and that happens alot, ‘Oh can you do my lounge just book the time/materials to X job’ Personally I’m not fussed I’m getting paid regardless

Someone on faceache made this comparison and I can’t unsee it now!

That said it looks better than the knackered tower it replaced IMO. And I like the contrast between old and new.xo9iwrc1vb991

kayak23

Well, I’ve started work this week hopefully for a few months on the Passivhaus, North Cotswolds one.

Really nice people.

Screenshot_20240926-185201

I’m currently working under the spiral staircase fettling all these curved doors that a mate of mine made.

There’s about 7 around the staircase bottom and several more here and there.

Screenshot_20240926-184930

Cool house and interesting chatting to the owner.

kayak23

We’ve got a lot in common as he’s been on Grand Designs, and I’ve been on Shed of the Year, which is basically the same thing ;-)

Ewan
    Free Member

What an absolute throbber. Five years ruining his neighbours life. How can that be acceptable? Pretending it’s a renovation?! No way did that cost 375k What a entitled…..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Are those patio doors legal ? I actually quite like the fact you can open the door and fall out but surprised it got signed off!

The stairs look great, but no banister? Right trendy but completely impractical for young kids or recovering from surgery / old age etc

revs1972
    Free Member

Are those patio doors legal ? I actually quite like the fact you can open the door and fall out but surprised it got signed off!

The stairs look great, but no banister? Right trendy but completely impractical for young kids or recovering from surgery / old age etc

they did say it wasn’t finished when Kev came back for the final visit. However, with grand children running round the house, surely anyone would make those a priority? Although based on his previous decisions , there probably isn’t an area to fix a Juliette balcony to

tomhoward

I didn’t hate it/him as much as I thought I would having read here before watching. Amazing he’s managed to get as far as he has with his somewhat lacking attention to detail, but he’s not even top 10 when it comes to grand designs throbbers.

His main contractor deserves a sainthood though.

timba
    Free Member

tomhoward+1

Not a developer that I’d go to, but personable enough.

Long wait for German windows again!!

metcalt

It’s in keeping with the area, for years there was a bungalow round the corner that just had a UPVC door to nowhere in the gable end.

drlex
    Free Member

@kayak23 – thanks for sharing this, although given the youth of the house, I’m slightly concerned that the joinery already needs a few months of your fettling, so hope that it’s more your cabinet-making skills in play for new stuff than remaking curved doors. I would love to build a Passivhaus in my sloping garden in the next few years but certainly not 800m2 worth!

Speeder

I expect that give it a couple of months and it’ll be bleeding rust out of the render given the lack of attention to detail in the rest of the build.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Viewing 21 posts - 481 through 501 (of 501 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.