Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 469 total)
  • Grand Designs – full commitment again…
  • matt_outandabout

It did seem to go well.
    However I would expect an onsite built thing would be cheaper – possibly quite a bit cheaper.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nice modular build with good materials.

However, FFS why put the Buddha statue at the side of kitchen sink? Should be put on top of the cabinet facing the garden instead.

revs1972
    Free Member

Come on Grand Designs, I’m not here to watch something that runs relatively smoothly.
    It’s got to have a feel of “The Apprentice” about it, where you are almost willing for it to go wrong for the entertainment value 😂 **

That said, I did like it, although one of the upper parts just didn’t quite integrate properly, it looked like it had just fallen on top and was balanced precariously . I’m also not a fan of Corten steel , I think it looks terrible.

is it just me that’s massively annoyed by their hard hats?

One of our guys turned up to site wearing one of those . It’s been relegated to be the “w**kers” hat. The one that’s given to someone who turns up without a helmet.

** looks like we are back to epic bellenderey next week . Yay

jamiemcf

I’m now having to watch it on +1 to see the hard hats. Most of the rest can do one, but I’m intrigued by the hats.

Edit: and they’re bad

joebristol

I don’t like the rusty steel / would prefer to have more of the wood cladding – and make the slats a bit wider. Also don’t like the big stupid chimney.

The views are epic and the modular build option seems a really good one. Speed of construction and precision seems really good.

Nice people that really cared about what they got and didn’t have an endless money pit. Makes a change. Wouldn’t want that every week as it’s less exciting though!

muddy@rseguy

Was it just me or did anyone else think the “friendly neighbour” requiring £5k for having a crane on their land (empty field with metal mats laid out so the ground wasn’t damaged by the crane…) for 2 days was taking the pi$$ a bit?

Anyway, I liked that house a lot, fast and (almost) stress free build. Bet that would have been at least double the price and three times the build time if it wasn’t manufactured off-site and trucked in. Quite liked the Corten steel too.

halifaxpete

Made a nice change that episode, Nice couple and a clever build loved the QR code stuff.  Though what is it with GD and putting bloody baths in bedrooms next to windows with no blinds (no blinds on any windows for that matter)

nuke

Yep, enjoyed that…nice couple, not the usual mega budget with equally mega size mansion & a great advert for modular

…just didn’t like the stairs, style or colour

bloody baths in bedrooms

Regardless of next to window, bath in bedroom was a no for us particularly with an en suite with shower

revs1972
    Free Member

Was it just me or did anyone else think the “friendly neighbour” requiring £5k for having a crane on their land (empty field with metal mats laid out so the ground wasn’t damaged by the crane…) for 2 days was taking the pi$$ a bit?

I felt that was put in there for a little “jeopardy “, otherwise it was going to be a straightforward build with no real issues.
    Same with the car that was parked well off of the road. Did you see the gap on the lorries left hand side ?

If I was the friendly neighbour then I would want an informal contract to say if there was any damage then it would be paid for to be put right.

thepurist

It’s got to have a feel of “The Apprentice” about it, where you are almost willing for it to go wrong for the entertainment value

Did you see the trail for next week? Looks like being ruinous for anyone playing the drinking game.

Another +1 on baths in bedrooms too.

Harry_the_Spider

Just caught up on last weeks regional airport terminal. There was definitely something going on with that glass. I can understand that the Latvians were losing money because of the overrun on the flooring, but the MD of the contractors saying that the glass was not included didn’t sound right. What was going on with the contract? I wouldn’t pay a tradesman £250 without a written quote, he shelled out €125k up front that may or may not have been included.

And 7 bathrooms? How many arses did they have between them?

Anyway, the result looked quite smart, but he’s going to have to make a lot more documentaries in North Korea to cover a £1m overspend. They could always sell it to a footballer for £5m I suppose.

Will watch this week’s tonight. From the trailer I’m not sure that I understand the transparent hard hats.

Yak

Good showcase for volumetric off-site construction. Winners all round there. I’m a fan of volumetric anyway having done some volumetric key worker housing in the mid 2000s. Great fun working on it from scratch with a motivated team.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Yeah, baths in bedrooms is a terrible idea.

I liked the cladding, I like larch and the rusted steel was nice I thought. All timber cladding wouldve been a bit much

I’ll have to rewatch now for the hardhats, was it I’m Alan partridge season 2 vibes?

theotherjonv

I got more light up yoyo craze from 2011 vibes, tbh. And was disappointed whenever a GD bingo phrase was uttered there weren’t sparks across the hat

Portwest Peak View Hard Hat Vented, Colour: Pink, PV50PIR

fingerbang
    Free Member

There should be a ‘most contrived or weakest jeopardy’ award as well as GD bingo

Car on grass verge is a good one.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I see now

Yak

null

Cranes, tight sites, tight timeframes…all the excitement of a full build in one weekend. Love it.

plus-one

Loved the Corten steel and the hard hats 😎

mert
    Free Member

Ha! My dads last place had a bath in the master bedroom when they moved in, so they moved the master bedroom to one of the other larger bedrooms for ~3 years until they had the cash to remodel the *actual* bathroom and remove the bath in the bedroom… Just used the room as storage and had showers instead.

Weirdest looking room in the house.

Rich_s

We had to have “the conversation” with my mum a few years back when she had a shower fitted in the corner of a large, odd shaped bedroom. She proposed putting an open plan loo next to it, visible from the bed.

Bless her, she was still sticking to her guns until we asked her to imagine rolling over one morning and coming face to face with my dad laying cable about 15ft away.

She didn’t get it fitted.

Harry_the_Spider

Caught up with it. I liked them and was glad that it didn’t destroy them.

There are giveaways that it is going to be OK.

1. The opening date is within the last 18 months.
    2. The logo on the contractors jackets hasn’t been pixilated out.
    3. They don’t have a kid called Jasper.

Speeder

When’s the next one supposed to air? Looks interesting . . . in the true spirit of Grand Designs. ;o)

Dickyboy

She proposed putting an open plan loo next to it, visible from the bed.

We moved into a house in the early 70’s which had a downstairs loo, nothing odd about that I hear you say, apart from the room it was in was about 3.5m x 3.5m with the loo in one corner.

avdave2

A friend once had a flat with a glass door to the toilet. It was slightly obscured glass but none the less it felt a bit weird.

CountZero

Anyway, I liked that house a lot, fast and (almost) stress free build. Bet that would have been at least double the price and three times the build time if it wasn’t manufactured off-site and trucked in. Quite liked the Corten steel too.

Me too, I love Corten steel, the way it oxidises over time and with a larch cladding that goes grey it all blends together.
    If I found myself with the sort of money to buy a nice plot and have a house built then I’d be all over that company and architect like a rash! Properly thought out and really well built, being able to just truck the modules in and put them together as pre-prepared units like that takes so much stress out of the process. Separate bathrooms with shower are a must, though! I don’t need a view while soaking in the bath.

b33k34

Back to the first episode it’s a bit of a classic – oversized and designed for kids who’ve already left home by the time they’ve built it.

What really puzzles me about a load of the ‘modern mansions’ that get built is the multitude of seating areas in open plan spaces. This house was typical – that lovely library space they’ve built outside their bedroom (but will almost certainly never use) is open to the double height space in the games room where people are likely to be making a load of noise and having music on. Our kitchen/diner is connected to our living room through a short open corridor – it’s great for the two of us but stops working if we have people staying and someone wants to watch tv in the living room while we have the radio on in the kitchen.

And baths in bedrooms are a terrible idea – you really don’t want all that damp air in a bedroom, even if it’s got a ventilation system. there seems to be stuff put in hotel rooms because it’s something you’d not have at home and people then copy it thinking it’s luxury without thinking if it’s a good idea.

Speeder

Thought it was a particularly good advert for the small modular builder. Was very well done and he had a lovely little setup. I’d love to do something similar. Having worked for a few of the bigger players in the industry, I can certainly see that volumetric is the way forward for a huge number of builds.

Was also great to see the TopHat factory at the very start, I was one of the first in the factory and it’s great to see how it’s moved on since I was last there.

fingerbang
    Free Member

for comedy value still hard to beat last series when the essex boy built a state of the art flood resistant ultra modern house on stilts and then filled it with chintzy bric a brac straight from his grandma’s house. And created a ‘garden’ by dumping turf haphazardly below the stilts

Rich_s

Has there been a 3D printed house yet? I can’t think of one of the top of my head. Maybe that’s going to be next. Maybe out of mud, or something.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

… And I’ve said it before – so many of these houses look like upmarket creative workspaces I’ve used. Some elements were fine but I’m not sure I’d find it a comfortable space to live in – but that may just be me

Flipping that around, upmarket creative workspaces are trying to look like the houses people like? It’s just that 99% of houses are inspirationally devoid mock-tudor boxes?

matt_outandabout

His idea and interest.
    She’s not so sure.
    He’s at sea half the time.
    It’s on archeological site.
    Pandemic incoming.

Hmmm

Edit: and £1.4m overall cost…

Twodogs

This could be fun 😂

Twodogs

“Waterproof membrane”…eek!

bruneep

oh dear

lister

I’m chuckling in anticipation. This was all filmed 4 years ago 😂

Twodogs

Twodogs
    “Waterproof membrane”…eek!

Told you! 😂

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’m already getting ‘Guy who built a lighthouse and wrecked his marriage grand design’ vibes but if anyone can find a million down the back of the sofa it might be this bloke

bikebob

Anyone who believed they could build that for £1m is deluded. And yet by the end we’ll be told it’s only 50k over. Find out in half an hour.

fingerbang
    Free Member

If he pulls this off then I refuse to be overawed with anything DIY ever again. He s there doing first fix electrics etc

lister

How can he have a job that relies so much on his communication skills but can’t trust an electrician to fit some lights and switches to his specifications?
    Surely his job means he has to rely on a team because he can’t do everything all the time on board?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 469 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.