Viewing 18 posts - 161 through 178 (of 178 total)
  • Gran Turismo / GT7
  • tomhoward

Urgh, after 6 years of loyal service, my G29 is starting to give up the ghost, flickering accelerator, may just require a strip and clean, but a promotion at work is requiring rewarding, so has anyone used the Fanatec/Thrustmaster options? Any good?

benp1

All budget dependent. If I had a big enough budget, especially as you’ll need a stronger and more robust cockpit, I’d go for Fanatec

I have a thrustmaster t300rs gt set up, I like it. Upgrades to my wheel would require upgrades elsewhere too. I’d like to get load cell pedals next

5lab

My g29 pedal did the same thing. Options are..

Clean and refit, not hard to do, but in my case failed again after 2 months

New sensor -theyre on Amazon and eBay for £25ish

Load cell kit – £75 or so but I think it’s not technically a load cell, then use your brake sensor in the throttle pedal

G pro pedals and adapter, £350ish, but proper load cell and beautifully made

I went for the last option as I want to upgrade to the g pro wheel at some point, and don’t regret it one bit. Do it!

A few mates of mine have the fanatec setup, with the load cell it’s about £750 landed so not cheap. They’re all pleased with it though. Only direct drive options for the ps4 or ps5 are fanatec and Logitech unless you go for some wacky adapter method that’ll be flakey in operation

pondo

Bought this after Christmas, rather enjoying it – how often do 917s go on sale? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I now have the game but I’m not buying all that stuff ^^^

tomhoward

I pretty much only play driving games, and having done a test today, some of them (Assetto Corsa) are just plain impossible with a controller and while the G29 is fine, it’s a bit plastic-y and disconnected, so I feel an upgrade is justified, given the amount of time I spend using it (compared to say, bikes…)

tomhoward

Well I haven’t got a new wheel yet, but a 15% off offer through PS plus a couple of weeks ago lead to a PS5 and PSVR2 landing on my doorstep a week or so ago.

My lord it’s good! Whilst GT Sport VR was okaaay I guess, the (single opponent car) AI was shit, no racing against real people, and PS3 level graphics meant I didn’t really play all that much after a few hours.

This, I can’t see myself playing GT7 without, and it’s kinda ruined Assetto Corsa. Just being able to check either mirror quickly and look out windows is ace, and being able to properly look through corners means I’m faster, and less crashy when folk are alongside into braking zones.

Not cheap, but well worth the money!

JonnyC
    Free Member

I bought myself a PS5 a couple of weeks back. I prefer digital games as it’s just feels more convenient. But the digital version through PS store do often seem to be so much more expensive. GT7 is £59 on Amazon or £70 through the PlayStation store. I’m assuming that’s the only place to buy the digital copies.

tomhoward

Yeah you are tied to the PS Store, however given how much cheaper the console is (mine was about £120 cheaper iirc), an extra tenner-ish on games (only bought 1 so far, the other ones I have were ps4/5 downloads) for a significant amount less faff, and clutter, is worth it.

That and they do have pretty regular sales. Assetto Corsa Competitzione was a tenner last week, if you like that sort of thing.

5lab

Yeah wait for a sale and buy credit from other shops, you can normally get 10-15% off the headline price that way.

I’ve been psvr/ps5 since either came out. Great experience. Single seaters are the best

bensales
    Free Member

Blatent not stealth ad…. I’m selling a Logitech G923 PS version wheel and pedals, along with a GT Omega Classic wheel stand, as I found I preferred playing Forza and sold my PS5.

Looking for £150 for the wheel/pedals and £50 for the stand. Wheel is about 6 months old, and stand a couple of years but had little use. Location is just south of Birmingham, and I’m happy to post the wheel for the cost of postage, but not the stand as it’s too heavy.

5lab

Think that wheel is underpriced. Cex will give you 140 trade in

bensales
    Free Member

STW pricing.

molgrips
    Free Member

I really want PSVR2 and this is probably the only game I have that I would use it for.

tomhoward

So, Fanatec GT DD pro arrived this morning, along with the load cell kit and a clubsport shifter.

Played it for a couple of hours and am knackered, for two reasons. Firstly, even with the 5nm PSU, it’s significantly more force feedback than the G29, but blissfully silent. Very happy with that. (The 8nm would take some getting used to, the 15nm options must be insane!) Another thing I’m happy with is the shifter, smashing through the sequential gears at full pelt is ace. All feels very solid too.

What I’m disappointed with is the Load Cell brake. It comes with one elastomer that, to get full travel, needs 90kg+ of force putting through it. Fine if you have a seat that is mounted, pretty solidly, to the pedals etc but otherwise everything, either the seat or wheel stand will be pushed away from ‘tother, which renders it useless. A softer elastomer will solve the issue, but to not make one/put one in the box seems like a miss. (The other option is to buy an integrated seat/stand, but I don’t really have the space for that in my office 😩)

But anyway, no more fluttering throttle means I can get back to winning some online races 😊

5lab

You don’t need to have your brake set up to use the whole range of the load cell, just like you don’t need to have the ff motor turned up all the way. Most folks run the direct drive wheels at strength 2 or 3 in the game, and you can tune the brake pedal so 30kg of input is full braking in the game

bigG
    Free Member

molgrips

Free Member

I really want PSVR2 and this is probably the only game I have that I would use it for.

I have PSVR2 and it’s very immersive. However find it can bring on motion sickness on longer races. It’s much easier to hit the apex of corners and look through the corner to get a good line, though. It’s definitely reduced a lot of my lap times!

tomhoward

Perseverance with the load cell brake pedal, combined with a more secure mounting point, has paid off, it’s now brilliant.

Now eyeing up the McLaren GT3 wheel…

Viewing 18 posts - 161 through 178 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.