Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Going Sky free?
  • stumpy01

batfink Subscriber

People still have sky tv? People still “record” stuff? Serious question: why?

Loads of reasons. It’s easier to keep track of things you are interested in, if you record them – so you can have programs/series across multiple channels all saved in one place.
    No need to remember that X program is on iplayer, but Y program is on all4 etc.

Also means you can fast forward the ads & my Humax DVR box has never crashed, whereas the ‘smart’ TV apps seem to be quite buggy; iPlayer generally good, but other ones can be a bit cak.

olly2097
    Free Member

We are with talk talk. Could be worse. Are a lot better than they used to be. About once a year my 78mbps connection grinds to about 5. Has happended numerous times.

Why haven’t I switched? I get calls to landlines and mobiles 24/7 (not even 2g connection in my house) and the price is £26 a month.

Also factoring in the problems have been: degrading phone line on wall of house, degraded line on the pole, issues at the cabinet. All of which is owned by BT/openreach. Not talk talk. Talk talk have also instructed openreach to fixed it all quickly every time. So for me with local loop unbundling in place it makes no odds who you go with: by, talk talk, Plusnet, blah blah blah. Go with what deal you can get. All comes from the same exchange, same cabinet, down the same crap wires bar virgin media.

toby1

People still have sky tv? People still “record” stuff? Serious question: why?

Only had decent broadband for the last 3 years, before that it wasn’t even possible to use Spotify around the house. I assume some people still live like this!

Also, people are creatures of habit.

Bimbler
    Free Member

People still “record” stuff? Serious question: why?

Unskippable ads. “Saves” about 15 minutes/hour when watching Taskmaster etc

disco_stu
    Free Member

Binned Sky off a few years ago, we have Prime, Netflix and BT Sport via Plusnet broadband.
    I think the only think I really miss is the Sky+ functionality.

iainc

and on the flip side, just had Sky in to upgrade us to Sky Q – main box in living room, second one in eldest son’s loft room, all running smoothly with all the channels, Netflix, BT Sport etc etc. Yes, it costs a bit more but it’s so easy to use for watching what we want when we want so I don’t mind paying for that.

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

Ive gone the opposite way thanks to my ‘gracious’ flatmate. We have Virgin broadband and for an extra £6pm they’ve given us a Virgin TV box, upgraded us to the basic sports package and given my flatmate a free sim card. Its been 6 months and ive used the box twice, maybe 3 times. Mostly because football is dreadful now-a-days and everything good is on Netflix, Prime or iPlayers. Luckily my flatmate pays the extra £6pm

BillOddie

My in-laws have all singing all dancing Sky and even as a NFL and Rugby fan I don’t know how you could justify it.  There is literally nothing on aside from football and cricket, they have lost the Premiership rugby, Pro14 rugby,

NowTV entertainment pass once every few months gives you access the few good entertainment things on Sky Atlantic.  NowTV Sport Pass when the Lions are touring and that’s it.

I have NFL Gamepass for the NFL at £40 per season (gives me access to enough NFL)

We have BT Sport for free with our broadband, plus we have Netflix and occasionally have the odd month of Prime.

Interstingly Apple have just told me I have Apple TV+ for free for 12 months as i bought a new iPhone recently.  Getting that to display on my 2018 LG Smart TV seems to be problematic though so might just save the good shows on that for airports etc…

slowoldman

People still “record” stuff? Serious question: why?

Because some stuff I may want to watch again won’t be available after 30 days. I have an oldish Sony HD/DVD recorder and if I really want to keep something longterm I can dub it to DVD.

Anyway that did fine with Freeview only up to about 3 years ago when I discovered cycling on Eurosport, plus skiing, biathlon, and one or two other esoteric sporting items for £30 a year. I’m happy shelling out for that but not sufficiently interested in TV or films to cough up the huge monthly sums some people do for Sky or Netflix.

So yes, I would say life without Sky is achievable.

welshfarmer

I am watching the sky everyday. But then I work outdoors in a weather dependant job.

Or are you discussing something else?

fossy

Both wife and I had sky when living at home, but that was years ago. Freeview/catch up apps and Netflix and Amazon Prime cover everything. Then the occasional ‘other sources’.

SkyQ is their struggle to catch up. Both my two sisters pay an arm and a leg for their Sky and Netflix. I suppose, if you are into a particular sport, can you get it cheaper on other services ? That might keep you with Sky.

My BIL loves watching grass grow and the occasional person walking over it with a hitty stick and a little ball. My other BIL loves getting his BP up watching United. 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

We had Sky and BSB back in its infancy in the mid 80s, just like other new electronic tech, but then my step dad owned an independent TV store. Think I might have had Sky for a year in a shared house too in the late 90s.

But for the last 20-odd years, it was an extra budget expense we could do without, plus we find Amazon Video has enough to keep us going. Neither of us are big TV watchers, I’d rather surf the web or be pc gaming, if I’m not riding a bike outdoors or indoors.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Going Sky free?’ is closed to new replies.