Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Going Sky free?
  • spursn17
    Free Member

Has anyone binned off Sky and been happy with just Freeview?

Got the hump on the phone with Sky last week as they banged our monthly price right up and told them to switch it off at the end of the month.
    At the moment we have two Sky Q boxes (kitchen and living room) and mrsspursn17 likes to record loads of stuff to watch later, we didn’t have sports or film channels so I think we’d only be giving up some documentary channels but my little triffid is worried that we’ll be losing loads.

Experiences please?

Drac

2 years clean now and 6 month from Now TV.

There’s a thread on here somewhere.

anagallis_arvensis

Never had sky, seem to cope fine.

dove1

3 years clean for us and feeling good.
    We missed the record function initially but soon forgot all about it.

There is enough on Freeview and the free catch up services (iPlayer, All4, etc) to mean your hours can still be filled with drivel.

If you really want to watch some of the SKY offering just get a NowTV box and pay £7/month. You can watch live TV and there are plenty of catch up programmes and box sets available.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Must be 15 years since I had it, Netflix, prime and freeview do us tbh.

sillyoldman

Never been with them and never felt like I’m missing out. Freeview only here.

colournoise

Freesat with a HD recorder, Netflix and Prime (pay for that for the delivery benefits etc. – the video service is a perk) here. Not had Sky for a couple of years now. Not missing it at all.

Did pay for a couple of months of NowTV to see the final GoT series (binged the rest on DVD – remember those?) but that’s been our only lapse.

duncancallum

10yrs….

I’d not go back

Alphabet

3 or 4 years free now. We switched to Freesat but haven’t even used that in over a year. I can’t remember the last time time we watched live TV. We just watch catchup services and streaming services such as Netflix.

ThePinkster

Never been with them and never felt like I’m missing out. Freeview only here. been with them and never felt like I’m missing out. Freeview only here.

Same here. Never felt the need either. Life seems too busy.

That and the thought of giving any of my hard earned to that obnoxious score Murdoch and his cronies makes me sick.

If you need a record facility as well try a Youview box. I picked up a cheap BT one a few years ago and it’s still going strong.

toby1

We got to a point where we weren’t using it 2 years or so ago. Netflix and Prime and not really missing it with the exception of the pause and record features in very rare occasions.

My biggest problem with catch-up TV is all4 isn’t high def. So just watch good stuff on that when it’s actually on.

£40-50 a month back and not paying into the Murdoch empire works for me too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We were without it for a year when we moved house.

Now paying £40 for TV, Fibre, Telephone.

The Sky Box is loads better than Freesat box.

We couldn’t get Fibre & Telephone as cheap by other means so why not. If they do try to ramp the price up we prob would leave though

YoKaiser
    Free Member

We’ve canned ours a few years ago. Netflix and prime and continued to use the sky box. Still records and wotnot. Got a Roku Now TV thing as well now. Still a fraction of what we were paying for sky. Could probably do without prime quite easily.

z1ppy

just a few months in, I really don’t miss it. We’ve freeview on the TV, which can record but it’s dodgy, as the scheduler doesn’t populate well*. So were tending to watch stuff off more4, iplay, etc. We also have amazon prime, so aren’t without watchable boxsets.
    If anything were just watching less TV.

*the sky box will do the scheduler reliably but won’t record.. unless someone can tell me differently?

breadcrumb

Got shot ages ago. Just Freeview and Netflix.

My default live TV channel is Dave so no point in paying extra for it.

nuke

Never had Sky… Freeview with Humax PVR for recording then supplemented with Netflix & NowTV

ready

Been thinking about this a lot lately. If I was to ditch sky, does the box still work? Can I still use the box for the free to view channels? BBC/ITV etc

StirlingCrispin

Freesat with a Humax recorder for TV (you swap the cables across – takes a minute or so).

Wife has Netflix.

Plusnet for broadband.

Happy Days.

martinhutch

If I was to ditch sky, does the box still work?

Yes, except no recording/rewinding/pausing etc. In theory they could ask for it back, but I’ve never heard of them doing that.

tjagain

Never given a penny to Murdoch and never will. freeview only

spursn17
    Free Member

In theory they could ask for it back, but I’ve never heard of them doing that

Sky said they want both of their Q boxes back and will be sending prepaid packaging for them.

martinhutch

Ah, this was a conventional Sky+ box, rather than a fancy-pants Q box. 🙂

Don’t know if it would have worked as a standalone either.

spursn17
    Free Member

Ah, this was a conventional Sky+ box, rather than a fancy-pants Q box

This is what’s causing the doubt at the moment, mrsspursn17 likes the way she can record 3 things at once. I don’t mind using the online catch-up services such as iPlayer and all4, but she likes an old school recording and doesn’t handle tech stuff well.

martinhutch

In that case you’ll need a Freesat recorder box – if you get one with two or more tuners, it will be able to record and watch stuff simultaneously, maybe not three things at once though.

vongassit
    Free Member

11 yrs , wouldn’t have it if they paid me!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Yes, except no recording/rewinding/pausing etc.

Ours still records and pauses live TV.

martinhutch

Ours still records and pauses live TV.

Keep quiet about it! Ours definitely lost all the Sky+ features when we left. You could carry on giving them a few quid a month to keep them.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Sky do this every year to me. I then do the annual ‘I’m going to leave’ rigmarole and they decrease it back to the original price. This has been happening for around 10 years now.

JP

mboy
    Free Member

Grew up with Sky, my parents had it since the early 90’s FFS! Didn’t have it for years as a student, then got it back in 2009 cos I wanted to watch the Ashes (and could afford it at the time)… Watching England destroy the Aussies in their own back yard was priceless, but very soon after that, the shine wore off. Binned it off soon after, and haven’t paid for Sky since, and haven’t missed it to be honest!

Did try BT TV about 2 years ago, but binned that off recently too (it was terrible! OK it was cheap, but really not worth it)… Freeview is more than enough, GF pays for Netflix subscription which we use occasionally too, but honestly I wouldn’t even miss that either if we didn’t have it.

There’s a life outside of these 4 walls, and it’s marvellous don’t you know!

phil5556

In that case you’ll need a Freesat recorder box – if you get one with two or more tuners, it will be able to record and watch stuff simultaneously, maybe not three things at once though.

We had one of those when we moved into this house because it didn’t have an aerial but had a dish from previous owners. Tbh it was awful, glitchy & very crashy. In fact both boxes were the same. We lived with it for a couple of years but then got an aerial on the roof, which tbh we should have done as soon as we moved. Maybe some are better than our one was?

Caher

I binned sky some time ago and went with BT, I find it excellent. Great for sport.

molgrips
    Free Member

Must be 15 years since I had it, Netflix, prime and freeview do us tbh.

This. There’s about 500x more stuff I want to watch on Netflix and Prime than there is on Sky. Cancelled it years ago, before Netflix in fact.

This is what’s causing the doubt at the moment, mrsspursn17 likes the way she can record 3 things at once.

There’s not usually one thing I want to watch, never mind three at the same time 🙂

batfink
    Free Member

People still have sky tv? People still “record” stuff? Serious question: why?

We have an Apple tv box with all the domestic streaming apps installed, then just Netflix and spotify. Occasionally rent a film from iTunes, and all my local media (ripped form DVDs, CDs etc) is on plex, which also streams to the apple TV box.

We have freeview on top of that, but we haven’t accessed it for maybe 2 years

bruk

Never had Sky, couldn’t justify it when I was younger and skinter and then my parents in law got it and when I visited I couldn’t see any advantage to it. Don’t watch football or cricket really and never have the time or inclination to watch boxsets.

Used to have rubbish broadband and couldn’t stream anything. Now have Prime for the delivery and have watched a few things on it.

Each to their own. If your other half wants it then it might be better to do the i’m going to leave dance with them.

olly2097
    Free Member

Tried sky through friends and family employee deal. Was ok.

Happy with just Freesat and on demand. Don’t really watch much beyond the news and some netflix, the millennial in me prefers YouTube in the bath.

Fyi you can easily get dodgy sky if you’re that worried. Cheap. Works surprisingly well. Highly illegal though so there is that.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You all watch TV?
    How quaint.

spursn17
    Free Member

Thanks for the input everyone, seems like a recordable Freesat box may be the thing to try.

Now for the next item on the list, broadband?

Virgin would be a front runner for this as we had it in our old house and it was fast and reliable, unfortunately broadband can only be delivered to this house by BT line as there’s no Virgin here, so which provider?

bensales
    Free Member

Show me an equally cost effective way of watching live Premiership football and Formula 1. Note, NowTV works out at more expensive if you want to watch regular matches and every race.

Sky as a basic Freeview alternative isn’t a value proposition, but if there are certain things you want to watch, there isn’t much, if any, alternative.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Never given a penny to Murdoch and never will

Sky isn’t owned by Murdoch, it was sold to Comcast #justsaying

People still have sky tv? People still “record” stuff?

Where I live we can’t get any other type of tv. Which limits choice a bit

Watty

Because out here in the sticks with ‘superslow’ broadband we won’t be streaming much.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Going Sky free?’ is closed to new replies.