Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Glasgow Rangers
  • druidh
    Free Member

The SFA will turn a blind eye to King and Murray if it means they can get through this season.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Stirling Albion

The only team I’ll make the trip from Yorkshire to Scotland for

stuartie_c
    Free Member

The SFA will turn a blind eye to King and Murray if it means they can get through this season

Yup.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A minority of old firm fans are head bangers but there are alot of decent ones too.

If the spotlight was shone to the same extent on the minority of fans that follow other clubs as it is in the old firm then no-one would come out of it looking good. In the last couple of years Motherwell and St Johnstone have had incidents of fans giving racist abuse, Aberdeen fans sing songs about another group of fans dieing in a stadium disaster, Hearts fans have had sectarian chanting. Even Scotland fans wouldnt come out of it well with some of the English chants.

There is a major double standard at play that singles out old firm fans as being somehow unique in what they get up to but they really aren’t anything special.

Lots of sense there Omar.

I suspect I’m not the only Manchester resident who’d probably raise a glass to their demise. If no other city had their delightful fans hoisted upon them, I’m sure they wouldn’t miss them. They’re animals, quite frankly.

They’ll still be animals of course, just animals with fewer reasons to leave Glasgow

I read a recent freedom of information piece recently which correctly stated that there were more Man U fans arrested when you lot came up for the CL qualifier that season, but carry on.

I don’t think Scotland would be better off either, the numpties that want to cause trouble will just find another excuse to act like morons. See last years riots.

I think you’ll find the riots were actually in England, not Scotland.

stanfree
    Free Member

Rancid club and equally rancid fans and no i’m not a Celtic supporter. If this has been going on for years then strip them of those titles as the money they generated from playing in the champs league etc was gained by devious practises. I hope they go to the wall have to change there name and start again in Division 3 where they will get a doing from elgin city.

edhornby

nobeer – as a manchester resident (who supports neither red nor blue) I can tell you that the behaviour of the thousands of badly behaved rangers fans at the uefa cup was shocking

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1958314/Uefa-Cup-Dog-bites-Rangers-fan.html I feel sorry for the dog

seosamh77
    Free Member

I read a recent freedom of information piece recently which correctly stated that there were more Man U fans arrested when you lot came up for the CL qualifier that season, but carry on.

nothing happened in manchester, move along, nothing to see here! ahhaa haha aha! :mrgreen: I’m pretty certain the man u fans left Glasgow in a better nick that your lot left manchester in.

stanfree
    Free Member

nobeer – as a manchester resident (who supports neither red nor blue) I can tell you that the behaviour of the thousands of badly behaved rangers fans at the uefa cup was shocking

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1958314/Uefa-Cup-Dog-bites-Rangers-fan.html I feel sorry for the dog

So do I , poor dog had to be put down after that.

Sesoamagh77 , Your mob are no better .

spacemonkey

Football has become more and more a law unto itself in recent years – and there’s only one driver behind that: MONEY. No point making examples of Rangers and Pompey etc – nothing’s going to change. The game has become too big with the stakes monumentally high in terms of financial reward (and loss). Fans and staff will always play second fiddle to players and creditors when in trouble – so much so it’s a joke.

As a United fan I f^&*ing hate Rangers and would love to see the club disappear off the face of the Earth. But it employs something like 175 staff, most of whom have a job that sees them pay the bills and put food on the table. They’re the people I care about. Are they going to find it easy to get another job? Possibly not. Are the players? Yes, of course they are. They’re forever in the shop window with no worries about this month’s mortgage.

Personally I’d like to see them f&*k off and reform in a different guise down in the lower Scottish leagues, but retain the staff. Can’t see that happening though.

And don’t even get me started on the Glazers 👿

RustySpanner

I once went to see Montrose play Queen’s Park at Links Park, back in the 90’s.

One of the best matches I’ve ever been to:
    The bloke on the gate let us out at half time to have a pint in the social club, attendance was 180 odd and we got to have a chat with most of the players and the manager after the game 🙂
    Great fun and a superb antidote to big league nonsense.

As for Rangers, I’m sorry but I sincerely hope they go out of business.
    I despise their sectarian bigotry, the behaviour of their fans in Manchester was bloody disgraceful and the attitude of most of the people involved with the club gives many neutral observers a legitimate reason to despise football.

Good riddance.

seosamh77
    Free Member

stanfree – Member

Sesoamagh77 , Your mob are no better .
    Clearly, we are! On a number of levels :mrgreen:

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not saying nothing happened, clearly not, the behaviour of some Rangers fans in Manchester was abhorrent. I’m just saying that every club has it’s scumbags, indeed, English football fans are in no position to criticise anyone.

There’s only one team in Scotland who have ever had to play a game behind closed doors due to fans behaviour, against Rapid Vienna in 1985 IIRC. I’ll let Seosamh up there tell you who that was 😉

duckman

Rangers (hopefully) going is only half the problem,especially as they will be back in one form or another.Of course, seosamh77 may want to loosen his balaclava to allow him to think how attractive his side are to Sky without people being able to watch the disgusting spectacle that is an old firm derby 4 times a year. Despite the obvious relish in the demise of Rangers,(can’t blame them for that) what next for Celtic? They rely on the TV deal and European football,both of which are interlinked. Without their evil twin,it will be harder to reach the lucrative group stages.
    We have Celtic in the cup at the weekend, I look forward to the IRA chanting and being called “Orange Bastards” by the morons unaware a) we were called Dundee Hibernian until 1962. b)It’s tangerine,not Orange. Of course I won’t take my son as I don’t want him exposed to the crap that either half of the bigot brothers spout,but hey; as either half of the old firm will tell you, Scottish football would be a backwater without them……A much nicer place as well.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

If anything, Rangers fans improved the centre of Manchester. You can’t polish a turd as they say, but you can cover it in wee in the bowl, to mask the smell.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

^ Duckman

By all means, shelter Duckboy from the harsh realities of a schooling by Scottish football’s only remaining superpower. As a parent that is your prerogative. He might want a last glimpse of Jonny Russell though before he moves on to bigger and better things in the Hoops next year. 😉

Celtic’s share of the pittance Scottish fitba gets from Sky is a fraction of the club’s turnover, compared to its matchday income. If Sky were to pull the plug or renegotiate it is the smaller teams who’d feel a greater impact.

I noticed the wee teams are meeting sans Celtic this week to discuss life in the post-Rangers landscape, assuming Karma has them in its crosshairs after years of financial doping and some Zombie Rangers outfit starts from scratch at the bottom of the Third Division.

What kind of concessions would a United fan be looking to extract? I would imagine a bigger share of the bawbees Sky doles out would be high up the agenda. SPL expansion? Shared/pooled gate money? End-of-season play-offs between the top few teams for the Championship? Something pretty radical will need to be done to rebalance the competitiveness of the SPL with only one behemoth of a team in it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

There’s only one team in Scotland who have ever had to play a game behind closed doors due to fans behaviour, against Rapid Vienna in 1985 IIRC. I’ll let Seosamh up there tell you who that was

:mrgreen: you really shouldn’t throw stones in that glass house, you’ll create an awfy mess.

seosamh77
    Free Member

by the morons unaware a) we were called Dundee Hibernian until 1962.

I don’t want to teach you your own history but I will, you changed your name in 1923 :mrgreen: it was the colour of your strips you changed in the 60s. It’s quite a well known fact among celtic fans that you forget where you come from.

duckman

He might want a last glimpse of Jonny Russell though before he moves on to bigger and better things in the Hoops next year.

PFFT…Your evil twin couldn’t have him and nor can you, you have no chance of competing with the English wages on offer.

I would expect my well run team (total debt 2.3M) to want to expand the league to ensure we get to pump the bankrupt neighbours a couple of times a year. That full house would make up for Rangers, without the cleansing dept having to do a Sunday shift.Thankfully United cut their cloth accordingly when the Setanta deal fell through. Our players are on managable basic salaries but very a good win bonus.

^ Duckman

By all means, shelter Duckboy from the harsh realities of a schooling by Scottish football’s only remaining superpower having to skip over the empty wine bottles and pools of urine on the way to the ground.

FTFY

Doh,fair one about the name change I was writing that at approx 5am…Could you define where we come from though?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

^ Duckman

By all means, shelter Duckboy from the harsh realities of a schooling by Scottish football’s only remaining superpower having to skip over the empty wine bottles and pools of urine on the way to the ground.

You could always move out of Dundee. 😀

mcboo
    Free Member

Football, especially Scottish football, never fails to reveal the inner moron.

StirlingCrispin

Stirling Albion
    The only team I’ll make the trip from Yorkshire to Scotland for

fatboyslo – give me a shout when you do! (I’ll have 5-yr old Thump with me)

StefMcDef
    Free Member

mcboo – Member

Football, especially Scottish football, never fails to reveal the inner moron.

🙄

You could always leave the “morons” to it and find a thread on a subject which provokes something beyond name-calling from your demonstrably superior intellect.

duckman

StefMcDef – Member

^ Duckman

By all means, shelter Duckboy from the harsh realities of a schooling by Scottish football’s only remaining superpower club with ideas above their station having to skip over the empty wine bottles and pools of urine on the way to the ground.

You could always move out of Dundee.

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

I have, old firm fans must think that people pish in the closes everywhere, they don’t;it’s just you lot.

Joking apart, for all the fun you are having just now, Celtic will feel a cold wind from the demise of Rangers. I can’t see Sky paying for Scottish football without the Derbies; also it will be harder for you to get into Europe each year with the qualifying rounds. The financial knock on means the standard will slide even more and that is before the increased revenues you get from old firm games is taken into account.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I know a squad of insufferable bams from Carnoustie, family friends from way back, who support Dundee United. They stay with my folks when United get to Hampden at Cup finals. I don’t extrapolate from them being bams that there are no sensible Dundee United supporters.

I never pished up closes or puked in fountains when I followed Celtic away. All clubs have percentage of eejits who follow them. The bigger the barrel, the more bad apples. The Buckie-on-the-bus brigade who follow the teams away from home are still a minority. They have an embedded culture of doing what they do that will take a while to eradicate and has as much to do with Scotland’s vexed relationship with The Drink as it has to do with Celtic or Rangers. The sectarian attitudes have been legislated against. As with something like the law on seatbelts, I would hope that what was once seen as acceptable behaviour to large numbers of people will gradually, once outlawed, become a taboo.

Any readjustment of Scottish football post-Rangers will be a levelling down, not a levelling up, at least in the short term. I can live with that – it’s more important that justice is seen to be done, otherwise the Scottish game becomes even more of a laughing stock. It should be seen as an opportunity to consign to history what has been a dysfunctional set-up and start afresh.

Sky invest money in covering smaller leagues like the Blue Square Premier or even Rugby Super League, which has smaller viewing figures than Scottish football, yet gets a more generous TV deal. They aren’t going to pull the plug completely.

On getting into Europe, Scottish football’s co-efficient is dwindling anyway and will hardly have been helped by recent capitulations to the likes of Malmo, Slask Wroclaw or FC Sion. Having said that, Scottish clubs have competed better than might be expected in the Europa League in recent years.

As a fan of Celtic, which has something like the eighth-highest home attendances in Europe, I don’t think that an expectation of winning the league every year and competing in either the Champs League or at the very least the Europa League counts as “ideas above our station”.

PS: Bantering aside, I hope Jonny Russell stays where he is doesn’t follow the Scott Allan trail to the dizzy heights of West Bromwich Albion reserves.

fasthaggis

[video]http://vimeo.com/36764975[/video]

🙂

Albanach
    Free Member

I once went to see Montrose play Queen’s Park at Links Park, back in the 90’s.

Went to watch my team Partick Thistle play a pre season friendly against Montrose in the early nineties, was class, the home fans went on to the pitch at half time for a game of 3 and in…proper football!!

duckman

I never pished up closes or puked in fountains when I followed Celtic away. All clubs have percentage of eejits who follow them. The bigger the barrel, the more bad apples. The Buckie-on-the-bus brigade who follow the teams away from home are still a minority. They have an embedded culture of doing what they do that will take a while to eradicate and has as much to do with Scotland’s vexed relationship with The Drink as it has to do with Celtic or Rangers. The sectarian attitudes have been legislated against. As with something like the law on seatbelts, I would hope that what was once seen as acceptable behaviour to large numbers of people will gradually, once outlawed, become a taboo.

Far too reasoned for a thread on the death of one half of the old firm.
    I am from Kilmarnock so the suggestion of every West Coast fan peeing in the street is tongue-in-cheek. I also teach in Carnoustie, so I can assure you that bampottery is very much a Carnoustie thing, not an Arab trait.
    My reference to ideas above your station is based on the frequently trotted out line about the English Premiership. Which thank God, Rangers put to bed in Manchester. Just to be clear, I would be delighted if you went,and your neighbours as well. My son is football daft and my Dad is a season ticket holder and takes him,but he doesn’t get to go to old firm games as he is 10,which is old enough to understand if not the songs, certainly the sentiment and feeling behind them. Rangers will be back, alas with the same baggage.However, I am looking forward to seeing what the next couple of years hold for Scottish Football. What is to stop Rangers doing an Airdrie, How skint are Clyde? Buy them, pesky problems over debt and re-admission covered.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

The financial knock on means the standard will slide even more and that is before the increased revenues you get from old firm games is taken into account.

A big part of the problem with Scottish football is the way that Rangers’ spending since the late 80s has distorted the balance of power within the SPL. Before David Murray initiated his spending spree with the appointment of Graeme Souness, the SPL had a number of clubs that competed on fairly level terms – Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts, Celtic were all capable of taking points off each other as a matter of course, and Rangers were playing catch up at that point. Since then, Rangers have effectively priced everyone apart from Celtic out of contention, and even they came perilously close to ruin before Fergus McCann stepped in and restored some sanity to their financial position. Along the way, the habit of buying in players from abroad has impeded the development of youth football in Scotland; a problem that is only really being tackled now. It’s worth bearing in mind that Alex Ferguson, the last manager to bring a European trophy back to Scotland did so with a team of Scottish lads, many of whom were ‘home grown’ through Aberdeen’s youth system. The fact that he’s continued to have success with a similar approach at Man U should speak volumes about where the cash should be going in Scottish football.

I fully appreciate Rangers are a big part of the history and traditions of Scottish football, but the actions of their management over the last 20 years have wreaked havoc with Scottish football, and it would be good to think that the current crisis at Ibrox could pave the way both for a more healthy football environment across Scotland, and a significantly more realistic sense of identity and entitlement amongst Rangers fans.

duckman

Thing is D-J, I don’t know how valid that arguement is post Bosman. I saw it on the other thread. But the game has changed. In the 80’s it was assumed you liked or played football, now? I am not so sure.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

From a purely selfish point of view, that would suit me down to the ground. As a Celtic supporter in the south of England I would happily see them hoover up Portsmouth’s franchise and start competing in the Championship en route to the Premier League. If they could relocate to Fratton Park, so much the better. 🙂

The glamour of awaydays in Reading, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Bristol. Sadly, they don’t have closes dahn sarf so there’ll be nowhere for us to pish.

But that door has been slammed in our faces many times. You can understand smaller English clubs not wanting or needing another larger competitor. The only avenue into English football for Celtic would be if HMRC go after badly-run English clubs and push them into insolvency after they have finished with Rangers, leaving a few vacancies in the league.

Having said that I think us and Scottish football are stuck with each other so if it takes Celtic ‘ceding some income streams to smaller clubs to make it a more compelling and competitive spectacle, then bring it on.

duckman

You would also have to be voted in by the other turkeys,sorry English league clubs,which would leave one of them out. Unlike up here,you can’t just do a trojan horse. I wonder if that might dilute some of the unacceptable facets of Celtic’s “heritage” Don’t know if Stevenage fans would get the subtle nuances of the Green Brigade’s songbook.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Classic Video Fast Haggis. genuine lols.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Before David Murray initiated his spending spree with the appointment of Graeme Souness

DJ, Souness was manager before Murray came on to the scene, a moot point I know, but one that is often quoted wrongly.

I wholeheartedly agree with your other comments though with regards to the net resut being a healthier game. The one thing I hope that comes out of this is that Rangers are run properly, Murray park (please rename it!) is utilised correctly and we bring on the cream of scottish talent, along with the other Scottish clubs.

That is the only way Scottish football will prosper again. I’m also fed up of us taking youths from all over europe and beyond and trying to mould them, get the scottish lads in instead.

Getting the national side back to some sort of consistency in qualifying for and competing in tournaments has to be all our priorities.

seosamh77
    Free Member
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow Rangers’ is closed to new replies.