Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • HELP: Can't get my cassette off my PRO 2 Hub
  • gaberin
    Free Member

Just trying to take off the cassette from my hope pro 2 hub, and the whole freewheel came off with it. The cassette, that i put on about 3 weeks ago, won’t budge at all..

What do i do?
    Help please

gaberin
    Free Member

The cassette is an xt one, which i managed to get the first sprocket off..

_tom_
    Free Member

Douge @ Basque MTB had a good guide for it. Bit of a bodge job though. It didn’t work for me that well, I had to hit the sprockets teeth with the end of a small hammer.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Use a larger hammer!

If it jams; force it, if it breaks it needed replacing anyway……..

cynic-al
    Free Member

can you use the spider-ed cogs as a a lever to knock the loose ones back off the spline they’ve gouged into?

gaberin
    Free Member

its pretty much new though, so i don’t want to break it, plus i have no money for any replacements..

shortcut

You need a second chain whip.

What happens is the sprockets bite into the alloy on the hub so you need to shift them slightly anticlockwise hence using two chain whips to loosen them off.

Easy!

You don’t need a hammer and it isn’t broken!

Rorschach
    Free Member

‘It it wit ammer.

FieldMarshall

Soft hammer has always worked for me.

gaberin
    Free Member

YAY Thankyou so much shortcut!

gaberin
    Free Member

is there anything i need to do to the freehub, as it seems to slide back in fine, but do i have to bash it in place or something?

Cheers

Furby
    Free Member

lots of how to videos on Hope site here.
    http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG219
    Might be of some help

Jason
    Free Member

I find an old bit of chain wrapped around the cassette works as well as a 2nd chain whip. Just stand on the end of the chain and push the chain whip the other way, not much force is needed.

When you refit the freehub, make sure the big seal is seated properly in the hub shell. There is a special tool for it, but it normally pushes in fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh…I see no “how to get your cassette off since we’ve spec’ed an inappropriate material for the freehub body”.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Had to get the hammer on mine a few weeks back, used a screwdriver as a drift and welted it. Deep gouges in alloy freehub forced purchase of steel one. Admittedly it was a sub xt cassette but that was what my 5 pro build came with 2 years ago. Was rather displeased with that. I’m sure someone will back me up on Orange being rubbish, although I think hope ought to offer choice between steel and alloy freehub bodies on purchase of the pro2.

FieldMarshall

Well I have a Five with Pro 2 hubs. Have no complaints with either Orange or Hope.

muddy@rseguy

The freehub is most likely a bit chewed up where the cassette sprocket mounting touches it, it probably needs a bit of gentle (firm) persuasion with a large flathead screwdriver levered between the sprockets and some choice expletives.

If the freehub has come off with the cassette then you really can hit the freehub out with a soft hammer (just dont use a club hammer…) 😉

gaberin
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, managed to get it off with shortcuts idea of two chainwhips.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘HELP: Can't get my cassette off my PRO 2 Hub’ is closed to new replies.