• This topic has 218 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 219 total)
  • Giro, spoilers
  • weeksy

Well that was damn exciting wasn’t it…

I don’t think there’ll be much between them in the TT tomorrow either !

Why do Ineos have the Odious name thrown at them then ?

t3ap0t
    Free Member

Get in Teo

crazy-legs

Brilliant. With bonuses are they both getting a pink jumper tonight?

I *think* it goes off position on the stage but commentary is just saying that it’ll go to tenths of a second which would mean Jai gets it.

It’s potentially worth Tao not getting pink – means he can use his own TT kit, not some hastily knocked up pink “aero suit”.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Given there is probably a very small advantage of wearing your own team skin suit in the tt I imagine neither rider is that keen to be in pink tonight.

crazy-legs

Yep, Jai in pink.

Tao is the better TTer but then Jai will have the advantage of being off last and getting split time info.

franko777

Tao will be in the white jersey skin suit won’t he?

avdave2

I think the atmosphere in the Ineos camp may be a lot better than in the Sunweb one this evening, could be enough to make a difference.

As an aside can anyone recall the general perception in Grand Tours that you needed to be at least 25 before you could seriously compete for the win. It seems now that 25 is starting to look like the upper age limit!

crazy-legs

I think the atmosphere in the Ineos camp may be a lot better than in the Sunweb one this evening, could be enough to make a difference.

I don’t see why it should be. Sunweb have got 1st and 3rd place, all that’s happened is a couple of riders have swapped the jersey (sort of). Jai never attacked his own team-mate, he just followed Tao up until the point that WK was properly dropped and out of the picture. Only then did he attack so he’s not been a disloyal teammate.

thethief

Another brilliant stage; this Giro has been very, very entertaining.

lunge

Tao will be in the white jersey skin suit won’t he?

He will. But both the Giro and Ineos are sponsored by Castelli so it’ll be the same kit in a different colour.

crazy-legs

It seems now that 25 is starting to look like the upper age limit!

Given that the winner of the TdF got both overall and Best Young Rider and that the same thing will happen here, perhaps it’s time to replace Best Young with Best Old. A nice white jersey for the highest placed rider over the age of 30!

theotherjonv

in these marginal gains days, is it beyond the budget of these teams to have a skinsuit already on standby in case. I mean, there’s a chance TGH could have been in either pink or white from a week ago. I’d have even thought a decent seamstress working ‘all night’ could have one made from scratch?

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t think kelderman is out of this yet, he’s much better tter than the other two. It’s whether it’s long enough to make up the time.

weeksy

Yeah dropping 1 min+ over 15km is a big ask, particularly for both of them.

jakd95
    Free Member

Does anyone know what sort of time I’d need to be checking the live stream tomorrow to watch the top 10?

crazy-legs

Does anyone know what sort of time I’d need to be checking the live stream tomorrow to watch the top 10?

First rider off at 13.20, last rider finish approx 16.30 from the Giro site but I can’t see if that’s local time or GMT (clocks go back tonight in UK, not sure if Italy do the same?)

slowoldman

That’s the best news I’ve had all day. An extra hour in bed!

TiRed

Second ever GT to be decided by a TT. Could rescue Ineos’ entire season. Will be glued to Eurosport tomorrow.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Second ever GT to be decided by a TT

2020 TDF
    2020 Giro
    1989 TDF

Am sure there have been more, unless you meant final day TTs.

Klunk
    Free Member

2011 tdf

stevious

Been a few Grand Tours decided on final day TT:

And a few more on penultimate TT:

All that said, I don’t think a grand tour has ever been this close for the final stage. It should make for some decent viewing. Imagine if Wilco Kelderman pulled out a total Beast Mode TT tomorrow?

Bunnyhop

Absolutely fabulous.

I was laughing my socks off when phenomenal Rohan appeared (again) after the longer attack by the 2 youngsters.
    Then clapping and dancing with Tao getting over the line in front of Jai. Those 2 just brilliant.

Such enjoyable racing.

boblo
    Free Member

Apologies if it’s mentioned up thread but has anybody else found the Eurosport/GCN coverage utterly cringe worthy? When the Vuelta started, it was a relief to watch ‘proper’ coverage rather than Grumpy Wiggins spouting forth…

winston
    Free Member

Completely agree.

Eurosport coverage is unwatchable with the sound on. Both the delivery and content is appalling with them not having anymore of a clue whats going on than I have. Plus they seem to hate each other. Then you have that idiot Wiggins just rambling on afterwards.

Millar and Boulting have a great connection and often add vital info most would have missed. Plus Imlach who is awesome and the hilarious fade out tracks each day. Classic sports commentary.

Edit: it doesn’t help that the camera work from the Giro is nowhere near as good as the other 2 tours though.

Bunnyhop

Agree.
    I’m reading Ned’s book atm. When David Millar was dropped from TdF in 2014, Ned went looking for him to ask if he would join the ITV4 commentary team. Instead David sought them out and asked to join, if they would have him. What luck.
    It’s obvious that Ned and David are friends, they gel, they read each other’s minds and they know their stuff. Lots of Preparation and revision goes into these grand tours and it shows.

I too find it hard to listen to the Vuelta commentary but find Ron Hatch to be a little better on the Giro.

My favourite is Chris Boardman, who is also superb along side Boulting and Millar.

TiRed

final day TTs

Sorry I thought that bit was obvious. BTW, most GTs are LOST in TTs not won. Last day TT. Already excited.

kilo

Apologies if it’s mentioned up thread but has anybody else found the Eurosport/GCN coverage utterly cringe worthy? When the Vuelta started, it was a relief to watch ‘proper’ coverage rather than Grumpy Wiggins spouting forth

I finb Brian Smith a tad challenging at times and this seems to be a recent thing she used to be quite good, but Wiggins can be good value at times. Completely disagree about Boulting and Millar – terrible pair and they suck the enjoyment out of watching racing. Never really bought into the idolatry for Millar either.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

The Eurosport commentary is definitely suffering for having to cover two grand tours simultaneously meaning that you have to put up with the same pair for the entire race, really helped when there was a bit of rotation. I don’t dislike any of the commentators, all of them repeat themselves a lot though.

weeksy

Game on then.

crazy-legs

I said previously that Rob Hatch was quite grating with his over-pronunciation but he’s bearable compared to the awful nasal tone of Brian Smith.

Millar and Boulting are far and away the best commentary double act and the way that ITV4 rotated the commentary to bring in Chris Boardman, Peter Kennaugh and Matt Rendell was good, it ensured you never had to listen to any one person for too long.

theotherjonv

he’s bearable compared to the awful nasal tone of Brian Smith

sorry, but I find that mildly offensive. It’s OK to not like him for what he says but to dislike someone because of an accent, or the sound of their voice that someone has no control over is a bit OTT for me.

I too have a quite distinct vocal charaecteristic and if someone felt my work contribution was in some way less valid because of that I’d be right pissed off.

theotherjonv

anyway – barring mishaps, it’s TGH isn’t it?

white101

Oh well here we go!

midlifecrashes

I set my stopwatch and had Tao ahead by 40s a couple of roundabouts ago.

theotherjonv

your stopwatch needs checking – 10s on official

swavis

This is utterly brilliant 😁

midlifecrashes

Tried again, 21s at Jai’s last corner

Klunk
    Free Member

mrs tao looking for a flat in monaco ?

crazy-legs

This is phenomenal.

white101

Fascinating finish

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 219 total)

The topic ‘Giro, spoilers’ is closed to new replies.