Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Getting shouted at whilst commuting.
  • brakes
    Free Member

if a cyclist RLJ and is nowhere near a pedestrian/ other vehicle, what does it matter to you?

because it annoys pedestrians and road users such that I get abuse for jumping red lights when I don’t. people drive more aggressively because they feel aggrieved by cyclists cheating the rules when they’re stuck in the traffic. I have seen on several occasions cars go through red lights following a bicycle because they presume that the light is on green because the cyclist has gone through.
    all of these things put me in increased danger and are inexcusable.

but you’re right this is a funny thread and not one for the RLJ debate.

ojom
    Free Member

I once commuted home on the tandem, solo.

This was the last time as i officially ran out of polite ripostes to HILARIOUS people.

monkeyp

It is worrying when all of this becomes the ‘accepted’ norm though.

I have been shot at with a paintball gun, had stones thrown at me by kids, cigarettes thrown at me, cans of drink, run into oncoming traffic etc etc – to be honest a bit of verbal abuse is nothing – almost a relief 🙂

ChrisL

I once got heckled by a pedestrian because I had stopped at a red light.

On another occasion a bunch of kids were preparing to heckle me but changed their minds because they were impressed that I was riding a Cannondale.

On my current commute I often see a motorcyclist who may have shouted at me a couple of times. However as he’s wearing a motorcycle helmet all I can hear of his wit, insight or fury is a muffled noise that may once have been human speech.

DenDennis
    Free Member

talking of other cyclists doing the shouting, if you have time, this thread from a while ago on on lfgss forum regarding the Screaming Banshee is a good read! 🙂

banshee

buck53

I once commuted home on the tandem, solo.

Asking for it, IMHO. 😉

merynella
    Free Member

We used to shout ‘get off and milk it!’

ojom
    Free Member

Asking for it, IMHO.

🙂

nicko74

😯 ❓ 😆

longj
    Free Member

I got heckled by a pedestrian for not riding on the pavement to get past stationary traffic. He finished with “you’ve got a GT !” Not sure what having a GT had to do with it.

crazy-legs

Riding up the hill out of Stockport (south along the A6), an elderly gent had pressed the button on the pedestrian crossing and sure enough as I was about 15m away, it changed to red. So I rolled to a stop and just as I was about to trackstand, the guy looked up and saw me.

He immediately took a step back and said “Oh I’m so sorry, don’t stop, please, go on through, I didn’t mean to make you stop on a hill!”
    He was SO apologetic. Really lovely.

However, I’m a good boy so I said it was quite alright and I stopped to let him walk across.

So some people can be nice.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

And then of course there’s the squirting the screen washers whilst overtaking a cyclist – what a jolly jape! Not!

billytinkle
    Free Member

Had “There’s a light on your head!” from a group of kids yesterday. I had an answer in a second to his witty comment, but was still too far away to bother shouting it out.

Also recently had “Oi bruv! Bruv! Bruuuuuv!!! Bruv! Come back!!” from a guy at a bus stop I didn’t even get a look at. Just why would I want to be stopping? My brother lives miles away.

The worst for me was a group of four mid teen school girls walking down a very steep and long road in an isolated area. God knows what they were there, but anyway I had just spent the last 7 or so mins in the granny ring grinding my way up the hill looking like some sort of scuba Steve who’d forgotten where the sea was. Speed would usually be my friend in a social gathering of this kind, but it was all I could do was try to look like I wasn’t absolutely spent at my snail like pace.

The odds were against me and it was inevitable that a comment would be coming, after all they had plenty of time to think of something. To my surprise all I got was a hello. I replied in kind and thought all was good!

I then got at least 30 seconds of constant abuse for not saying goodbye 🙁

boblo
    Free Member

merynella – Member
    We used to shout ‘get off and milk it!’

Child of the 70’s 🙂

edhornby

I had an angry oldish lady in a micra who, after beeping and revving at a few junctions said ‘you’re gonna get knocked off your bike’ and really didn’t like my response of ‘only cos you’re a sh1t driver’

BobaFatt
    Free Member

My favourite was from a little kid, no more than 4 or 5:

“you’re a big jobby”

He got a high five as I rode past

aracer
    Free Member

And then of course there’s the squirting the screen washers whilst overtaking a cyclist

Normally aimed ones? That’s not as bad as those who’ve deliberately pointed them sideways.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Getting shouted at whilst commuting.’ is closed to new replies.