Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Getting shouted at whilst commuting.
  • stumpy01

Used to get shouted at quite a lot when running, but not so much with cycling.

I have had a load of food chucked at me from an overtaking car & people passing closely and tooting their horn.

chief9000
    Free Member

at least you didn’t get stabbed.

tonyd

Why do kids tell you stuff about your back wheel? Is there a joke I’m missing?

It’s in the hope that you’ll do a panicked look at the back wheel without thinking, and then crash.

What a nice society we live in. Isn’t this just the kind of thing you yourself used to shout at cyclists? OK, I stopped it when I got to about 8, but still it’s harmless enough. We never expected or wanted anyone to crash but we did find it hilarious.

We also used to call the operator from a phone box and ask if that was the operator on the line? Followed by ‘well you’d better get off cos there’s a train coming’ which was generally very poorly delivered as we were too busy giggling hysterically.

On the very rare occasion I get shouted at it’s usually an irate driver, and I’ve never had my bottom pinched whilst riding.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

We used to shout ‘Oi mate, your back wheels going round’ as kids. It’s a ‘hehe, made you look’ pun, I thought everone did it.
    My favourite from a gent with his son in a Porshe Fat bloke on my commute home last summer ‘Bloody hell mate, you’re doing more than 40!’ 😀
    Least favourite, being hit in the side of the head by a half eaten Melton Mowbray.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

got told once by a yob who drove too close for comfort “to get a car”
    have to admit this thread is hilarious….

rosscopeco
    Free Member

To my shame I now recall a ‘little’ incident we dreamed up as kids. We only did this to cars so no cyclists were harmed. 😀

Timing was everything….one of us would go to the other side of the road and as the car approached we’d both ‘pretend’ to pull on an imaginary rope.

Most drivers would just drive by laughing but I do remember one old lady hit the anchors big style and ended up doing a rather long loud screechy skid (probably on her seat too!)….we basically crapped ourselves and bolted! 😳 Funny now but if any of my kids ever did this I’d skin them alive!

I once had several ’empty’ coke cans thrown at me from a passing car…it was in Dundee so that’s not altogether surprising. 😉

The best one liner has to be from a builders site in Glasgow as I cycled by “…the last time I saw a pair of legs like that, they were hanging out of a poachers bag…” 😆

richmtb

I once had someone lean out of a car and shout “118 got your number”

Which was strange as I don’t have a moustache or ride in a running vest.

Made me laugh though.

Had the back wheel jokes a few time too

Gutterball
    Free Member

I usually get the hilarious yet hurtful ‘BWAAAARGH!!!’

afkt
    Free Member

I’ve had a carful of girls shout ‘nice arse’ then get caught at the junction, made my day

Euro
    Free Member

I’m almost tempted to move aside and side-kick the next one that does this

I’d recommend a swift side-kick to the headtube. Works a treat.

Must be a regional thing, but I normally get ‘here mister, your chain’s flat’. I now keep a chain pump in my bag.

OwenP

A little girl (about 7 or 8) shouted “Fag**t” last week.

Couldn’t see who else she might have been shouting at, but maybe i’m paranoid and its a cool new trend in Finsbury.

TheBrick
    Free Member

senor j – Member
    When I was a paperboy , I used to shout “Mr,your back wheel is going round.” what japes.
    Have recently been referred to by some kids as “faggot”.

amedias
    Free Member

it’s not just motorists and peds that do it, got shouted at by BMXers a few times while out on my MTB and while commuting, my favourite is still the time they yelled ‘Oy mountain biker ****t! Gears are for Queers!’ at me…. while I was riding a single speed 🙄

downgrade
    Free Member

Have had the back wheel line before, and McDonalds thrown at me. And “Chris Hoy!”. And most recently “get a f* cycle ya c*”…. which I couldn’t make any sense of.

soundninjauk

I can’t remember being shouted at here in sunny London, but I’d take that over the bmw that decided it wanted the exact bit of road that I was currently occupying and then moved into it without indicating. Lane discipline is something that happens to other people round here.

simmy
    Free Member

Had the BBBBLLLLLAAAAAHHHHH out of the window of a chavs Corsa, used to scare me but get used to it after a bit.

Had the wolf whistles out of a canal boat of drunken women so I stopped and asked them to get their **** out 8)

Stopped and helped a load of drunken women on said same canal as one of them had collapsed and got a kiss of about 6 of them when the Ambulance had arrived. I left as the Paramedic was looking scared of them……….

Been egged by some chavs in a Fiesta. Didn’t know till I got home and took my Camalbak off.

jmason
    Free Member

On the average week I get beeped at or told to get off the f*in road a few times. Worst occasion was the guy who stopped and threatened me with a golf club, for reasons I still don’t understand.

And slightly off topic but still funny, was the time I got chased by a dog for about half a mile. Every time I picked up the pace the dog did too, didn’t want to slow down for fear of it jumping into my spokes. Still wonder how long it took for the owner to catch up with us.

Kryton57

I got shouted at today, by an pensioner/invalid in one if those electric carts.

He watched me come down the road (had extended eye contact), then when I got to 20m shot of the kerb in front of me. As I slammed on the brakes he called me an “idiot w@nker “. A short rebuff from me about a disability being no excuse for idiocy and I was on my way.

gar69
    Free Member

my mates were cycling home when a young lad leaned out of a passing car and wacked his arse with a horse whip ….he caught up with him at the next lights and decided against getting physical….. this was 200m from another mates place of work …. local police station…. after a quick phone call he left the driver and the whipper with the local armed response officers for company….sweet !

tacopowell
    Free Member

plyphon – Member
    Not gonna lie, a lot of stuff in this thread is certified hilarious.

So much so should be a sticky!

Keep um coming!

Merak

A couple of years ago a car of chavs threw a pair of lacy knickers out of the window of their Saxo at the bunch I was riding in. It made me laugh.:-) Made a change from the usual random abuse.

Kato

FROGLEEK – Member

Never been shouted out, but once had a bunch of chavs drive past in a corsa and launch a McDonalds milkshake at me, it was strawberry flavoured

I’ve had the same Strawberry MCD Milkshake thrown over me too – must be something too sweet for the chavs to finish it

+3 only mine was banana. Plus they did it about 500m from their house. I know where you live…..

project
    Free Member

Approaching a parked CHAVECTRA,the woman driver flung open the door and in chav scouse shouted DICKEAD at me, i just smiled,stopped a bit higher up the road to write the details down, and as she drove past, a tatooed oaf, shouted out the window, DICKHEAD again in a chav scouse accent, i just waved back.

Must be a new form of welcome i was unaware of 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

revenge is a dish milk shake best served cold.

garage-dweller

The correct response to a long tirade of abuse:

“I am dreadfully sorry would you remind repeating all that I am rather deaf”

This will either get a laugh or promote a degree of apoplexy that either causes them to smack you good and proper or induce a rise in blood pressure sufficient to blow their arteries off their heart.

I cannot claim credit for the line (I think it comes from a book originally) but it is a particular favourite.

richmtb

The correct responce to abuse (rather than something genuinely funny of course) is:

Male abuser: Slag off car
    Female abuser: Call them fat

brakes
    Free Member

I quite often make comments to other cyclist who’ve gone through red lights when I catch them up… depending on the amount of time available it ranges from “you really should be more careful, you nearly knocked someone over back at those lights” to “you ******* ****”

marrv
    Free Member

every week or so.
    last time was a guy who pulled straight out in front of me on a fast A road. told me I should look where I was going.
    Just could not belive it and giggled at him shaking my head saying he was unbeliveable. he then screeched away telling me i was a **** and he was going to kick my arse and how I did not pay road tax etc etc.
    I would have ad im I think.
    got me in to work nearlt 5 mins early that one grrrrrr.
    At least the into battle adrenalin gets used up on chain mashing grunting.

torihada
    Free Member

SE London yesterday, I stopped at a pelican crossing for a mother & child. Guy behind me shot through, missing the woman & child by an inch. She shouted at him as he rode on. I pull level and said he’d nearly hit the woman & child to which he replied: “F**** off you c***, it’s not of your f******* business. F*** off I’ll have you, you f***** c**** etc etc etc.”

I need to learn to ignore other road users bad behaviour and just keep out of their way. Sometimes I’m a sanctimonious tw*t.

Again SE London: commuting, cleared my runny snotter by the usual means and a woman in a saab pulls up next to me and lowers her window;
    She says “that’s disgusting”
    I reply “its got a lot to do with what’s coming out of your exhaust pipe”
    She screeches back “get a mask then”. Fair point I suppose.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not commuting but heading over from Rivington to Belmont recently a guy working in one of the fields started loudly calling me “Lance Armstrong” and repeated it until I was out of earshot – which took a while as it was at the steepest bit.

He only paused to laugh at his own cleverness.

Also heading from Anglezarke into Chorley, and going quite swiftly up a short climb some schoolkids ran across the road in front and I heard one say “he’s rapid like”.

🙂

fuzzhead
    Free Member

got hooted at by a fat bloke in an Astra yesterday. Not sure why, think he was signalling his inner hurt

meehaja
    Free Member

once got followed by a van full of lads on an undulating fast bit who sat about 6 ft off my back wheel and yelled out my speed every 20 seconds. A bit unnerving, but quite friendly I suppose. Got a cheer when I finally couldn’t maintian a decent speed anymore and they over took

DezB
    Free Member

They can shout whatever they damn well like at me

aracer
    Free Member

Think you get funny comments on a normal bike? They’re nothing to what you get on recumbents unicycles

Though a lot of them are variations on “where’s your other wheel” and not all that funny. I suppose it is my own fault for doing something which attracts attention.

DenDennis
    Free Member

might be some bloke on here but recently when I was commuting on the mtb for more grip in the ice there’s a bloke passes me coming the opposite way on his bike shouts “COTIC” as he’s seen I’m on the soul.

I just nodded a few times, then one day shouted ‘SODA’ back, as this appeared to be his vehicle. not seen him since. shame as I want to bellow it again. 😀

nicko74

I quite often make comments to other cyclist who’ve gone through red lights when I catch them up… depending on the amount of time available it ranges from “you really should be more careful, you nearly knocked someone over back at those lights” to “you ******* ****”

There’s a lot of funny stuff on here, but THIS is over the line. It’s over the line man!!

Plus it makes this whole thread less fun, cause frankly if a cyclist RLJ and is nowhere near a pedestrian/ other vehicle, what does it matter to you?

might be some bloke on here but recently when I was commuting on the mtb for more grip in the ice there’s a bloke passes me coming the opposite way on his bike shouts “COTIC” as he’s seen I’m on the soul.

Like it. Seen a guy on an On-One round here – they’re few and far between as it’s North America. In hindsight I should really have bellowed “On One!” at him, in case he didn’t know (and to show that I do know)

toxicsoks
    Free Member

My particular favorite is when a chap/chav got up from the sofa that was placed in his wrecked front garden, sauntered to the side of the road where about 15 MTBers were pootling along, connecting trails, and with bifta in one hand and can of Fosters in t’other shouted at us –
    ” What the flook are you lot doing,FFS? Get a flooking life!”
    Priceless.

thomthumb
    Free Member

” What the flook are you lot doing,FFS? Get a flooking life!”

had similar on a friday night ride, going through some town or another on the isle of wight.

some lad starts shouting “what are you doing? it’s friday night, why don’t you go and do something fun?”

I love a night on the piss, but it’s sad if you can’t see that anything else might be ‘fun’.

buck53

Get the usual bellowing as people drive past, novelty has worn off now.

People hanging out of the passenger side of cars telling me to get a car are also a favorite, usual response is, “same to you”. Usually gets them to pipe down.

Worst one was when I was out on road bike with my girlfriend, couple of girls in an open top beetle drove past and squirted us with super soakers. It shocked my girlfriend and she almost went into the kerb, the red mist descended, I caught up with them at the junction and dumped a litre bottle filled with High5 Zero over the pair of them and the cream leather interior.

Was worried after the adrenaline wore off (criminal damage etc) but saw them in the same car the next day and they looked sheepish and ignored me!

njee20
    Free Member

dumped a litre bottle filled with High5 Zero over the pair of them and the cream leather interior.

Pah, that’s basically water, SIS Go or something I imagine would be horrible. Or High5 4:1 which absolutely reeks when it’s a bit stale because of the whey protein in it!

I very rarely get shouted at, feeling left out now!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Getting shouted at whilst commuting.’ is closed to new replies.