Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Garmin Watches – Awkward or What?
  • andykirk
    Free Member

I treated myself to a Garmin Forerunner watch recently. This is my first Garmin product.

Is it the case that Garmin have the most clunky over-complicated non-intuitive user interface ever? I mean they are a huge company I thought they might have managed a bit better?

Or is it just me?

I know I will get used to it over time but jeeezo….. it feels like a bit of kit from the 1980s.

somafunk

#everysinglegarminproductever

markgraylish
    Free Member

I’ve had various Garmin products over the years, and yes, the learning curve isn’t a curve, it’s vertical…

However, you’ll find a few features you actually want to use a lot and over time, they become second nature and you ignore all the rest…

oldtennisshoes

Compared to what? It’s a complicated device with a lot of options that’s small and has a limited set of ways of interacting with it.
    It’s not great and takes some getting used to, but ok once you get there, and a significant improvement over an Apple Watch IME.

Drac

Great devices but yes their software can be clunky, not as bad as it use to be though.

mogrim

I don’t have any problem with the watches, but my Edge 530 is anything but intuitive. Showing a message at the bottom of the screen, but expecting you to use the button at the top to get rid of it is a favourite. Particularly when on my Fenix you use the bottom button.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Software can be a pain at times, though I think it’s often other apps causing issues with connect, but UI is good, pretty intuitive.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Super clunky! Wait until you get another one and it’ll be totally different, or use Connect and things are under different headings. No worse than an iPhone tho, or a W10 computer, or a smart tv. (Actually now I think it might be me)

DickBarton

I’ve been lucky I think, had a couple of Garmin watches and all of them have been brilliant. Saying that, I never use any of the navigation stuff, just the fitness/training/tracking/telling the time stuff.

The device has a lot going on and as said, it has a limited ability to present the info, so it will be clunky. A touchscreen would be a terrible idea as it is still a small size but will drain the battery much quicker.

I think the devices work very well, the bike computers I’ve less experience of and although the options are ok to navigate, I’ve found the sync part to take a very long time – it works but takes an age.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Super clunky! Wait until you get another one and it’ll be totally different

I’ve had 3 Garmin watches, and they’ve all been the same UI, with the exception of the extra features each one had, obviously.

dannybgoode

They do seem clunky at first but once you have set the data screens up etc I actually think they become very nice to use and I would much prefer multiple buttons on a fitness watch than a touchscreen. Having used an Apple Watch for proper running etc it’s a pain.

They have also just tweaked to UI on the watches a bit so they are just a little easier to use than they used to be – the menus are structured slightly more intuitively.

Agree re: the Edge 530 – I thought, given I have the Fenix 6, I would just be able to pick it up and it would all make sense – which it largely does – until I hit the wrong button for something. Still a great device though in terms of the overall package.

DrJ

Instinct owner here – bought in preference to an Apple watch for reasons that elude me. Actually I think it was the battery life. Yes the wqtch UI is absurd, but the worst thing is the software – 2 pieces of software (Connect, Explore) that don’t talk to ech other properly and have similar things with different names that have to be converted one to the other – routes, tracks, courses, whatever. Now using it to measure my daily exercise walks, so a bit overkill!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve just posted a thread moaning about my Garmin 245 that I bought at Christmas, more because 2 key features are very inaccurate… but yes the software is hard work

It took me ages to work out how to switch the dam thing off !

Also I automatically have the urge to think it is a touch screen, I think if it was it would be loads better.

I am currently trying to work out how to get back in to the menu system whilst recording an activity…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They do seem clunky at first but once you have set the data screens up etc I actually think they become very nice to use and I would much prefer multiple buttons on a fitness watch than a touchscreen.

Touchscreen on mine is set to lock during activity, as running, biking or hiking, I never, ever need more than the 4 data fields.

dannybgoode

@DrJ – what do you use Explore for that can’t be done these days in Connect? I used to do my route planning in Connect but now use Komoot and the Komoot IQ widget – works flawlessly…

binman

In answer to the OP, yes ! Fenix 5 plus user.

I am currently trying to work out how to get back in to the menu system whilst recording an activity…

On my watch you press and hold the top left light button. I can now use the wallet while on a ride.

I like it but struggle with it. You can’t seem to record a ride while following a route on Komoot, which invariably turns off at some point.

dannybgoode

I never, ever need more than the 4 data fields.

I don’t *need* more than 4 data fields but I like a looking at a load of random and fairly meaningless numbers 😀

Having moved from an Apple Watch 6 I miss certain bits but I certainly don’t miss having to charge it daily…

DrP

I ind of agree, but also agree with the fact it’s a small device, that does LOTS (fenix 5 saphire)..
    I’d rather have just 5 buttons, and figure out what they do (still figuring…) than LOTS AND LOTS of buttons…

DrP

lunge

I think they’re fine and the functionality the same across running watches and bike computers. The software can be a bit clunky but they’re fine generally.

julians
    Free Member

hate touchscreens on watches, or other devices that you’re going to use in the wet or with wet muddy hands, much prefer buttons. Same goes for touchscreens in cars – hate them

I find the garmin watches pretty easy to use, but thats probably because I’m familiar with them. My wife has a samsung galaxy active 2 watch, and I just cant use that at all, I find it very hard to use.

I love teh fact that the activities are fully customisable for the data that is shown, as far as I am aware this is unique to garmin?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Does a vivosport count as a watch? I don’t find it at all awkward. The Connect app works perfectly well (as far as I use it anyway).

stcolin
    Free Member

Garmin is the hot topic today! I’ve always had issues with connecting the devices to the app on my phone. I’d say one in 6 activities requires a lot faffing switching things off etc. I think the screen tech is pretty poor. OLED has been around for a while on many smart watches, but Garmin still uses low MIP tech for the majority of their models. Also, the strap on my new FR245 seems like something I’d expect on a £10 special from the markets.

geomickb
    Free Member

I have a Forerunner and hate it. Has to be locked all the time and can’t flip through screens without unlocking.

I much preferred the interface on my Suunto Ambit but it doesn’t have bluetooth and I hate using a cable after an activity.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Also, the strap on my new FR245 seems like something I’d expect on a £10 special from the markets.

I am a bit on the fence with this, it feels cheap, but then actually makes it comfy to wear and it does stretch so it never feels over tight. I guess you cant have both.

Does concern me that the strap doesn’t look replaceable if it snaps.

nickc

I think it could be better, the watches seems to have everything you might need…finding that function is another thing altogether, there’s widgets fir some things but not others, like enabling Bluetooth…something it needs to do quite frequently! Have the same gripes about Connect and Explore…I don’t use Strava but really Garmin, see that website? Copy that.

tetrode
    Free Member

Most of these niggles can be solved by just reading the manual.

yetidave
    Free Member

Whilst we are talking about issues with Garmins. My wifes’ wont load to strava. I think i may have used the wrong password when i set it up, but it doesnt appear to give an option to change this. When i disconnect from strava and then reconnect it doesnt ask for passwords again.

cookeaa

As a “watch” nah, you’re right OP they’re over complicated bobbins.

As a sports tracking/recording/HRM device they’re Great, but take them off when you’re done with your run…

IMO most People don’t really need the posh FR or Vivojobbie they end up buying as a smart watch/sports watch…

Case in point, I Bought the boss a a Vivoactive 3 (full “watch” format GPS device) last year to replace the vivofit (nice, simple step counting Bluetooth bangle) that she kept losing… Just found the vivofit again and she’s going to start wearing it because she can’t be arsed charging and faffing with the Vivoactive…

stanley

Nope!
    Forerunner 245M and Edge 530 user here.
    I find the 245 super-easy to use. I spent a couple of hours RTM and watching a couple of “How to” videos. Tinkered for a bit and it’s all perfect and easy to use.

However, the 530 took a bit longer and I do find it frustrating at times.

jeffl

I’ve got a vivoactive 3. I don’t find it particularly complicated TBH, but it is touch screen.

julians
    Free Member

I think the screen tech is pretty poor. OLED has been around for a while on many smart watches, but Garmin still uses low MIP tech for the majority of their models.

Theres a reason why garmin use those types of screen – battery life – which is another major selling point of most garmin watches, the battery lasts for at least a week*, or longer depending on usage/model.

I absolutely do not want a big bright screen if it means the watch needs charging every day or two .

*unless you are cursed by the garmin firmware bugs

dannybgoode

I absolutely do not want a big bright screen if it means the watch needs charging every day or two .

This – and when exercising the screens are very clear and readable with no glare or reflections. The maps on the Fenix 6 Pro range are surprisingly clear as well and it’s easy to take everything in at a glance.

stumpy01

I really don’t like Garmin stuff. I had an Edge500 that I hated with a passion by the end of my time with it.

But, I was tempted by a great price on a Forerunner235 & while it’s not perfect it is a lot better.

With my old phone, I had really bad problems with the bluetooth connection causing my phone to regular crash.
    But, since swapping to a Pixel 4a, I have not had one Garmin related hiccup.

The buttons & menus are pretty straightforward to me – one button to accept, up down to go through menus & one button to go back. It works pretty well.

As for the screens, I would rather my watch had an ‘old’ screen but lasted a decent while than something that looked really fancy but only lasts two days. I’m currently not running much, so not using the GPS on the watch, although BT is always on. I reckon I must be getting almost 3 weeks between charges. When I was training for a half marathon, a week between charges was perfectly achievable.

cookeaa

I’ve got a vivoactive 3. I don’t find it particularly complicated TBH, but it is touch screen.

Neither do I, but my missus has a “lady brain” apparently, hence having said she wanted the more complex device, she’s changed her mind and is reverting to the simpler step counting bangle (literally all she uses the VA3 for)…

whatgoesup

For me they’re the one Garmin product that doesn’t have a rubbish interface.

It is a bit odd to get your head around first but it’s very logical and worth persevering as you can do a lot, very quickly with only a few buttons.

It’s also quite customisable via “hot keys” to give shortcuts to frequently used functions.

andykirk
    Free Member

No one has mentioned Polar?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Watches – Awkward or What?’ is closed to new replies.