A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS

Home Forum Chat Forum A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS

Viewing 45 posts - 901 through 945 (of 1,324 total)
  • A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS
  • camo16

Due to today’s cricket being so dull

I wrote that 18 minutes ago. 😯 Top collapsing action by England here.

yossarian

Dreadful batting performance!

Pathetic.

zokes

Calypso collapso

Premier Icon spawnofyorkshire
    Subscriber

Anyone else having to endure this Boycott rant on TMS wishing for the almighty to intervene with a coronary for the gobsh!t£ ??

Just me then…

Klunk

we are so lucky the aussies are so poor, we’ve never had such a complacent bunch of players.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Klunk – Member
    we are so lucky the aussies are so poor, we’ve never had such a complacent arrogant bunch of players.

…if you listen to Warne.

zokes

Well, that’s sort of what I expected, but hoped I wouldn’t see when I woke up.

Junkyard

you will probably cheer up once you see them batting

Its like neither team want to win

Still that Aussie tail has done some whacking so not quite time to gloat

Another for there for DRS

He was out either way but he gets away with it

They do need to sort this

For those not watchign
    UMPS gave caught behind but he did not hit it and would have been umps call for LBW

psychle

That DRS replay just suggests to me that Hawkeye isn’t bloody accurate! In real life that ball passed well over the stumps, even after faintly clipping Rogers pad, so how does it suddenly end up much lower in the virtualisation/reconstruction??

zokes

That DRS replay just suggests to me that Hawkeye isn’t bloody accurate! In real life that ball passed well over the stumps, even after faintly clipping Rogers pad, so how does it suddenly end up much lower in the virtualisation/reconstruction??

In prediction mode (i.e. after it’s hit something) it isn’t, hence the large margin for error on >50% of ball hitting >50% of stumps. Before it hits anything, it should be millimetre accurate though, as it appears to be in tennis.

Happy with the score so far though. I generally think it’s imprudent to be too critical of a first innings score until both sides have batted.

Junkyard

it should be millimetre accurate though, as it appears to be in tennis.

It is at saying what happened but less so at predicting what will happen next if the legs had not got in the way

game still nicely poised but the England top order batters need replacing been on low score for 3 in every innings pretty much

Klunk

another 100-120 ftw

allthepies

Bad light 🙁

allthepies

And back 🙂

Junkyard

was it just a cloud 😉

dannyh

Even the bloody commentators are getting in a saucer-eyed trance over hotspot. They were umming and arring over the faint hot spot on Rogers glove from the square leg angles. There was a visible deflection off of the glove, even when viewed on ‘airport scanner’ mode. Get rid of drs ffs.

Give it all back to the umpires. Review their performance after each match using the technology and promote or demote as appropriate to get your elite panel.

A two tier game is being created. What about the borderline county player who gets a succession of shocking decisions and loses his contract at the end of a season? Decisions that would have gone the way of the batsman at test level.

Oh, and Pietersen played like a twunt again.

Give it all back to the umpires. Review their performance after each match using the technology and promote or demote as appropriate to get your elite panel.

Junkyard

The problem is umps will get some decisions wrong so how exactly do you grade them. What do they get x number of howlers per match? series?

What grates re DRS is they have technology to stop the howler and they have some how implemented it to help them get the decision wrong

I am not sure of the fix but this creates more problems rather than reduce them

dannyh

I agree that ‘howler’ us even more subjective than right/wrong (which is by no means certain in a lot of cases). One thing for sure, it should be based on a large sample of decisions made over a long period of time.

Take someone like Aleem Dar. I think he is brilliant. He changed test umpiring by giving lbw to spinners when the batter played straight and forward. Simply ‘getting a stride in’ was no longer sufficient. He has made a couple of howlers of late, but over a long period, he would be in the top three in my opinion.

I’ll have to defer to the legend that is Peter Willey on this. When big screen replays at grounds were first allowed he said he would pack in umpiring if he was made to look a prat in public when trying his level best to do things right. He was instrumental in getting this stopped.

If anyone would like to argue with him on a one to one basis then fine!

CaptJon

I was at the game yesterday (saturday) and while the DRS was confusing, my biggest concern is Cook’s captaincy. He’s so conservative he’s basically an automaton. If Anderson and Swann are doing their world class thing, and Broad is on target everything works fine. But when the batsmen have their measure, or the ball is doing anything he has no plan b.

Oh, and Trott was in a really bad mood in the field. When on the boundary someone shouted at him to smile, and he turned around, almost called them out, and then told them to **** off.

dannyh

The major worry for me about England’s batting is that four of the top six, namely Cook, Trott, Pietersen and Bairstow, are all bottom hand billies to varying extents. Playing in this way reduces the hitting point to a fraction of what it is when playing properly straight.

Boycs May be becoming the next Fred Trueman when it comes to commentary, but he still knows what he’s on about.

zokes

The major worry for me about England’s batting is that four of the top six, namely Cook, Trott, Pietersen and Bairstow, are all bottom hand billies to varying extents.

Trott is usually as safe as houses, and the Chef and KP are already amongst the best test batsmen England has ever fielded, so I’m not too concerned about them. Bairstow is young, and has yet to impress me (or instil confidence when the top four have fallen over cheaply). But, I don’t know anything about him from county, so assuming he’s been picked on the back of a decent record there, he should be given a chance to prove himself.

camo16

Predictions for England’s 2nd innings score?

It’s 234/5 with the Aussies sure to hit hard this morning and a new ball on the way.

On the other hand, Bell* and England’s tail have the ability to get another 100, maybe more.

So – I’m going for 308 ao

Any other predictions?

* whom I shall no longer call ‘Ian Bellend’ after this series.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

* whom I shall no longer call ‘Ian Bellend’ after this series.

I’ve called him a few names over the years. But I think that’s in frustration – he’s so obviously gifted, and a joy to watch, then would get himself out doing something stupid. It’s great to see him getting the runs when they really matter.

Anyway, I suspect a lead of 250 would be enough, 300 would be nailed on.

camo16

he’s so obviously gifted, and a joy to watch, then would get himself out doing something stupid

+1

Great techique, but his mind’s not always been this strong. Echoes of Ramprakash, I always thought. It’s lovely to be proved wrong.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Great techique, but his mind’s not always been this strong. Echoes of Ramprakash, I always thought. It’s lovely to be proved wrong.

Apparently, since he came back in 2009 after being dropped, he averages 55. Not bad!

zokes
    Klunk

blimey that’s some variable bounce !

camo16

Dang, that chap Harris can bowl. 😡

Prior off form again. Anyone remember when he was actually a pretty good batsman?

zokes

That’s a pity. I was enjoying that…

zokes

Dang, that chap Harris can bowl.

He can, but (usually) fortunately for his opposition, his arm falls off sooner or later

Klunk

the ball is flying to all parts at other end !

Klunk

what a shot !!!

Klunk

lead up to 270

camo16

On this pitch, whats’s the minimum lead to defend with confidence?

I’m thinking 300 would just about do it.

zokes

😯 at that Bresnan shot! What a reply!!!

But wag wag wag goes the tail.

zokes

250ish might have been defendable. 300 if we carry this momentum into the bowling should do it quite nicely.

Don’t forget Lyon is no Swanny

camo16

I guess it’s about now that Bresnan begins to worry too much about his 50?

Give ’em hell, Brezzers!

camo16

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

allthepies

Darn!

Really need 350 ish lead IMO.

zokes

Smith’s just dropped the Ashes?

Oh…..

😆

allthepies

Go on Swanny 🙂

zokes

299 the target…

camo16

Not bad, all considered.

Someone – fire up the JIMMINATOR!

Viewing 45 posts - 901 through 945 (of 1,324 total)

The topic ‘A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS’ is closed to new replies.