Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,324 total)
  • A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS
  • aracer
    Free Member

Peter Siddle – Not a Member
    I think that first hour before drinks will be crucial for us, if we can get through unscathed, we can start getting through the day from there

😆

So who thinks batting first was the wrong decision now? I’m sure Mr Haddin is really looking forwards to facing Swann in the last innings.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

your on holiday, you arrive and unpack and realise one of your bags is missing. Yep the one with the batsmen in

aracer
    Free Member

And another one gone, and another one gone
    Another one bites the dust

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yossarian
    Free Member

Yep the one with the batsmen in

😀

uwe-r
    Free Member

The trouble for the Aussies here is you take out Smiths performance and they have a handful of runs between the openers and not a jot else. At least England had a number of batsman who made a start and have something to hold on to. If you make 20 you think about turning it into a 50, if you make <10 you just worry!

With the sun out this afternoon the pitch may behave a bit, England were done yesterday by a nervy overcast morning session. The environment and momentum are behind them now.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey, you turn away for a few minutes, and all hell brakes loose. Great isn’t it!!!! Now please can we bat properly in the 2I.

aracer
    Free Member

wont get 150 120

Should have stuck with your first prediction 😉

I’m not quite sure why Agar is batting 11 though – far better first class average than the 3 bowlers above him. OK so he’s not played many innings, but then he got into the side despite not having many wickets, so why not a bit of confidence in him? I wouldn’t be too sure we’ve got them whilst somebody of his quality is still there – given the way the others played he’ll surely get promoted at least a couple of places in their second go? (I’ll make the wild assumption that the number 9 Aussie will get a 2nd bat)

theotherjonv

It’s high quality reverse swing bowling that’s doing for the Aussies, and Jimmy is the undisputed king.

First few overs today it did nothing, and apart from having pace I don’t think the aussies will swing it today, conventionally or otherwise. It’s a day for the batters, and bat properly and the game could almost be beyond the Australians by tonight.

psychle
    Free Member

5 wickets for 8 runs, fan-bloody-tastic…

Can’t give that stumping out surely?

grum
    Free Member

England had one less convincing than that go against them recently – in the Champion’s Trophy final I think.

psychle
    Free Member

Phew, fair call… Not that it’ll make a friggin difference 🙁

uwe-r
    Free Member

yossarian – Member
    Broad is off the field – this is looking ominous for us now

SHOULD HAVE BOWLED FIRST

I think it is still a valid argument as the key factor in bowling is the weather and morning sessions often have the best bowling conditions. Bowling first is the only way to guarantee bowling in the morning and the forecast was for cloud yesterday, it did prove difficult for us. However, it would have been a defensive move to avoid batting so on balance it was the right call.

aracer
    Free Member

Boycott disagrees with you, psychle – he might be on our side, but he’s also usually inclined to get benefit of the doubt to batters if there is any. Rule is foot on the line is out.

aracer
    Free Member

I think one of the big considerations in batting first was that you don’t want to be batting last on this pitch. That and Swann would like to bowl last on this pitch, with a load of footmarks to bowl in.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Still, at least you’re good at rugby…

Oh, hold on.

😉

psychle
    Free Member

Grrrrr…. God it sucks to be an Aussie sports supporter at the moment… 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From twitter
    Andy Jackson ?@jackersknackers 4m
    @bbctms This is the worst Australian collapse since Helen Daniels fell down that flight of stairs in Neighbours.
    Retweeted by BBC TMS

Pranav_Soneji ?@pranav_soneji 3m
    One of these Australian batsmen has a solid opener’s technique with a straight bat and good footwork. The other is Phil Hughes. #Ashes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FIFY

aracer
    Free Member

It’s not all bad as an Aussie supporter – I mean there’s that Richie Porte sitting in 2nd place in the TdF…

theotherjonv

getting dangerous. Not necessarily just the score, I’d still back us in a one innings game with Australia batting last and Swann bowling, let alone in a one innings game with a 30-40 run headstart.

But just the cussedness of a last innings stand turns the bowlers attitude round from ‘we’re doomed’ to ‘….maybe, if…..’

eg: Botham and Dilley, 1981…….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

31st

camo16
    Free Member

It’s not all ‘strewth’ for the Aussies yet – nice 53-run 10th wicket partnership already.

Anyone who thinks this is over already has a few roos loose in the top paddock.

psychle
    Free Member

England bowlers handing out some gift runs here, thankfully…

uwe-r
    Free Member

My involvement in this thread yesterday seemed to trigger some Aussie fortune, as the same has happened again today I’m off to start a what tyres thread.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hughes & Agar to open?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No Number 11 on debut has made 50….yet

psychle
    Free Member

Go Agar! I’m going to nickname him Petri 🙂

He’s making this look easy, unbelievable really given the carnage that preceded his arrival

johndoh
    Free Member

I guess the weather is brighter and warmer today and the swing is going as the day moves on? If so, when we *do* get the stubborn sod out we *SHOULD* rattle up a few with our openers.

aracer
    Free Member

You heard it here first (not that I take any pleasure in my prediction coming true)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/game-on-first-test-spoilers/page/3#post-5146565

grum
    Free Member

The ‘proper’ batsmen in the aussie side must be feeling pretty embarrassed right now.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Come on England! Get Anderson on and bowl full!

psychle
    Free Member

I guess the weather is brighter and warmer today and the swing is going as the day moves on? If so, when we *do* get the stubborn sod out we *SHOULD* rattle up a few with our openers.

True enough, it is a bit worrying to think what your admittedly quality batsman will do in similar/improving conditions…

grum
    Free Member

Superb effort on debut from Agar.

psychle
    Free Member

You bloody ripper young Agar, a little bit of joy and happiness, and dare I say it, hope on an otherwise disappointing morning. We may even get a first innings lead yet amazingly!

This is why we love Test cricket isn’t it, the twists and turns of fortune, damn it’s good! 😀

grum
    Free Member

Has he now scored more sixes than Jonathon Trott in his entire career?

aracer
    Free Member

Top score in the match to Agar. Has a number 11 on debut ever managed that before?

…obviously everybody else is busy hitting statsguru as it’s fallen over.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

WTF is going on????

fair play though, can’t believe how much this gaming is swinging one way then the other, and we’ve only had 4 sessions….

grum
    Free Member

fair play though, can’t believe how much this gaming is swinging one way then the other, and we’ve only had 4 sessions….

This is why we love Test cricket isn’t it, the twists and turns of fortune, damn it’s good!

🙂

psychle
    Free Member

The Miracle of Trentbridge 😀

How on earth do we have a first innings lead???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if Agar makes a ton then I’ll finish the bottle of red I have and buy some more Ozzie wine in protest!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,324 total)

The topic ‘A Summer of Cricket – SPOILERS’ is closed to new replies.