Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 975 total)
  • Game of Thrones Season 6
  • GrahamS

Meanwhile, in Dorne….

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

To be honest, there is only one reason to go back to Dorne…

Yes I am a sexist beast etc etc.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nice bars.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Stolen from Reddit.

You killed Doran?

Yes

Because someone else killed his younger brother Oberyn?

Yes

And you were upset that he didn’t immediately wage war against these people who are economically and military superior, several times over

Yes

And you are now wiping out the few surviving members of the family of the man you are trying to avenge

Yes

Tywin is probably laughing in the seven hells that one disposable grunt – The Mountain, has literally decimated an entire kingdom just by smashing a **** head.

[/quote]

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I only mention it as my wife (who writes as s hobby) said “Chekhovs Gun” as soon as the hounds were mentioned. It’s lazy continuity to have Sansa quote him when she wasn’t there.

I thought it made perfect sense. Snow was ready to pulverize his skull in then looking at Sansa realised that she, having suffered more at his hands, needed her revenge more than he did. He likely had him tied up in the dungeon with the dogs and told Sansa what Ramsey’s intentions with the dogs were going to be.

dantsw13

They were trying to be clever, throwing Ramseys words back at him, showing him to be not quite as in control as he wanted to be. Having him say that whilst Sansa was there, rather than 10 secs after she flounced off would have made far more sense.

Anyhow – I loved it, even though I had to look away from the screen at least 3 times! Sad to lose the giant.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Sad to lose the giant.

Brienne of Tarth is dead?

acidtest
    Free Member

I only mention it as my wife (who writes as s hobby) said “Chekhovs Gun” as soon as the hounds were mentioned. It’s lazy continuity to have Sansa quote him when she wasn’t there.

Someone could have told her or she could have read it on facebook though.

dantsw13

Are you talking about my wife or Sansa???? I’m not sure the Starks are on FB 😆

dantsw13

My wife is a spoiler avoider of great skill, and hates watching anything where she already knows the outcome.

She did a long writing course with Faber & Faber. Most writing is quite formulaic. Whenever something slightly out of context is mentioned, it’s normally being introduced for later use – known as Chekovs Gun apparently. Once you are looking for it, you see it a lot.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m not sure that Starks are on FB

Jaime Lannister likes this

BadlyWiredDog

I agree that it’s playing more to a general audience. Not quite as satisfying for me.

Outrageous, a blockbuster, populist, fantasy series aimed at a general audience. Who would have seen that coming… 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whenever something slightly out of context is mentioned, it’s normally being introduced for later use – known as Chekovs Gun apparently. Once you are looking for it, you see it a lot.

Something nobody explained to George Martin

mahalo

Brienne of Tarth is dead?

where is Brienne from again? she never mentions it…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

She did a long writing course with Faber & Faber. Most writing is quite formulaic. Whenever something slightly out of context is mentioned, it’s normally being introduced for later use – known as Chekovs Gun apparently. Once you are looking for it, you see it a lot.

That’s very interesting. Anyway, I am just going to put this cocked pistol on the shelf for no reason.

GrahamS

Whenever something slightly out of context is mentioned, it’s normally being introduced for later use

I didn’t know it was called Chekov’s Gun – but surely this is pretty obvious to anyone that has watched Scooby Doo 😀

What messes it up is when, like in GoT, some things are carefully set up but then the studio/producers decide to change things up a bit or alter the plot.

brassneck

Jaime Lannister likes this

And I liked that!

Was a little predictable, but still a great watch. Episode one-before-the-end always means a good ass whooping, and it didn’t disappoint.

Lines up a whole series of Starks v Zombies next year.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Chekov’s gun isn’t a bad thing, or bad writing –

“Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it’s not going to be fired, it shouldn’t be hanging there.

—?Anton Chekhov” (stolen from Wiki)

The trick is to not make the act 1 set-up tooo obvious – but yes once you are aware of principals like this it’s harder for a story to suprise you

I’ve done a fair amount of study on film screenplays. I now always know if a (non arthouse) hollywood film will have a happy or sad ending.

End of ACT 2 = happy . End of Act 3 = SAD

End of ACT 1= SAD, then End of ACT 3 = happy

GrahamS

Not going to embed this video as it contains some swearing but:

Ozzy Man Reviews: Game of Thrones – Season 6 Episode 9

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The trick is to not make the act 1 set-up tooo obvious – but yes once you are aware of principals like this it’s harder for a story to suprise you

Unless like in GoT those characters that got lots of development, screen time then dissapeard for a while (forgot about/didn’t really have a plan) then appear to be dispatched for no real reason or outcome.
    And yes that mostly covers Dorne uless there is something amazing about to happen down there.

Pigface
    Free Member

The Dorne storyline is all about hell bent revenge, there is no logic in it. Ohh and boobies 😳

anagallis_arvensis

I thought the Dorne story line was just to push Cersai closer/over the edge and keep Jamie occupied for a while, and boooobs

lazybike
    Free Member

I’m only on season 2…Khaleesi has lost her dragons.

anagallis_arvensis

She dies

lazybike
    Free Member

Thats a shame…she’s lovely. I was looking forward to seeing her riding a dragon into battle reigning fire down on Kings landing…maybe she’ll come back in season 7.

acidtest
    Free Member

Are you talking about my wife or Sansa???? I’m not sure the Starks are on FB

Was talking about Sansa, she should sign up she’d get loads of likes.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’m only on season 2…Khaleesi has lost her dragons.

You might want to stay out of the thread. Slight risk of spoilers 😉

lazybike
    Free Member

🙂

GrahamS

And yes that mostly covers Dorne uless there is something amazing about to happen down there.

I gather that in the books there is a whole Dornish Plot is a much bigger thing.

It looks like they tried to touch on it in the show, but when they got to this season they realised they needed to get rid of some dead wood to fit the shorter episodes and timelines, so they just swiftly axed the entire plotline. Which I guess is sort of good because no one really cared about Dorne.

Anyway, if you want a Chekhov’s Gun, how about Tyrion casually mentioning to Dany “Oh yeah, there are like secret caches of Wildfire hidden all over King’s Landing. Even under the Sept. Y’know where my slightly unhinged sister Cersei, that one that keeps mentioning burning cities to the ground, is backed into a corner and facing an unwinnable trial.”

gonzy
    Free Member

Thats a shame…she’s lovely. I was looking forward to seeing her riding a dragon into battle reigning fire down on Kings landing…maybe she’ll come back in season 7.

i doubt it…the dragons ate her 😆

zilog6128

Surprised Jon didn’t have words with Sansa considering she’d used him & his army as bait and was happy to watch them all get slaughtered. I thought she had a particularly callous/vengeful smile as her plan was coming together… in fact I was half expecting Jon to die for good this time (such an ignominious death would have been very GoT I thought!) leaving her to take up the Stark mantle and taking a step closer to an all-chick showdown!

mikey74
    Free Member

Some have pointed out that Sansa wasn’t present when Bolton mentioned he hadn’t fed his dogs for a week. However, consider why Jon didn’t kill Bolton when he had a chance: the reason being he would leave the final revenge for Sansa, and he would have told her about what Ramsey said.

nach
    Free Member

Only gamers of a particular time will get this, but it is fantastic:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0dA9eUP85s[/video]

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Very good 😀

Goddamit, Leeroy!

The original in case anyone wondered:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLyOj_QD4a4[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

Surely the reason Jon didnt kill Ramsey was that he didnt want to be seen as a cold hearted killer by his sister because he still thinks she’s the innocent kid she was, which now she isnt.

jonnym92

I thought there was a distinct lack of shields in the Stark army on the whole, also could they have armored/armed the giant somehow? – a tree trunk/big rock would have done!
    Good job (at least one of) the 62 men pledged by House Mormont got to Winterfell.

swavis

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Anyway, if you want a Chekhov’s Gun, how about Tyrion casually mentioning to Dany “Oh yeah, there are like secret caches of Wildfire hidden all over King’s Landing. Even under the Sept. Y’know where my slightly unhinged sister Cersei, that one that keeps mentioning burning cities to the ground, is backed into a corner and facing an unwinnable trial.”

What, the slightly unhinged sister who has a vaguely mad witchdoctor who brings big dead soldiers back to life, and who would be entirely happy to start large fires under an entire city, who also had a quick chit chat to said mad doctor about the truth in “certain rumours” ?

Well I for one have no idea what is going to happen.

edit:

Also, great action, and one of the best episodes so far because of the big scrap (although I maintain the Blackwater is the best).

Some plot points are seeming to get a bit lazy, as mentioned those sailing ship things seem to have become remarkably fast this week, and that giant could have simply walked through the shield wall instead of being conveniently stuck flailing his arms around uselessly, not credible that was, and the entire rescue-by-elves, no, hello, are you seriously telling me to believe that Snow did not know about the cavalry?

OTOH, an oscar for Iwan Rheon.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Meanwhile….in Dorne.

The Sand Snakes and the White Walkers are playing frisbee on the beach.

Possibly.

OTOH, an oscar for Iwan Rheon

I was gutted when he died. Yeah he did a few bad things, but up there with The Hound, Tyrion, Jaimie, Varys, Tormund and Thoros as one of my fav characters.

Hmm. Just realised all my fav characters are men, and one is a rapist. Oh dear 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 975 total)

The topic ‘Game of Thrones Season 6’ is closed to new replies.