Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Seatpacks and bikepacking luggage
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m looking for a seatpack but the rest of the luggage may follow eventually and I like matching stuff. Some new offerings from Ortlieb, Blackburn and Altura all look promising especially the Altura one but I can barely find a picture of it never mind any info. Anything else I should have a look over?

whitestone
    Free Member

Greg May has done a review of the Ortlied seatpack, you could also go through the reviews at http://bikepackersmagazine.com/category/reviews/ if you are looking at US made stuff (there’s Revelate as well for example). Note that in the review of the Wildcat Tiger he hasn’t fastened it properly to the seat rails so it’s not as loose as that in use. With seatpacks there’s two main camps: integral and separate harness/bag, some like the former, some the latter.

I’ve got Wildcat for my main three bags plus some Alpkit stuff for the smaller bags.

trail_rat
    Free Member

lad was on here the other week complaining his altura fell apart after a couple of rides.

was fondling the frame bag in cycle highlands on saturday – it seems a bit lack lustre – very thin in comparison to wifes alpkit and my wildcat – i dont see it lasting.

apidura a bit thicker , ortlieb alot thicker.

blackburn somewhere in the middle.

homebrewjunkie
    Free Member

alpkit.com, got a few items and all holding up well so far

scotroutes

Revelate – you can get it from backcountrybiking in Aviemore now.
    Wildcat always gets good reviews and it’s made her in the UK.

Basil

Chap at the bike shop in Ambleside mentioned
    Arkel Seatpacker 15

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Touring.

nedrapier

it’s made her in the UK.

Yup, it’s great to see Beth doing well.

nedrapier

Cheers for this, Whitestone:

Note that in the review of the Wildcat Tiger he hasn’t fastened it properly to the seat rails

Got me looking back at the instructions, and I wasn’t doing it right either!

boxelder

Touring.

Not

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Touring?

Cheers a few to look at, pity about the Altura one as initially it looked quite good.

geuben
    Free Member

After seeing a thread about it on here I got one of these: http://www.ktmbikes.eu/ktm-bikes/eshop/4-1-CYCLING-ACCESSORIES/0/5/1023-KTM-Saddle-Bag-Tour-XL-18L

Worked really well, feels pretty sturdy, like it will last awhile.

trail_rat
    Free Member

other users reviews on here say otherwise RE KTM.

after a few uses the stitchings started to come out of the seat straps.

I can also add ural tour seat packs to those to avoid- piss poor and waggle about like a barn door in the wind.

the ural tour frame bags are good though.

geuben
    Free Member

other users reviews on here say otherwise RE KTM.

I’ve only used it on one 3 day trip so far. Would be a shame if it doesn’t hold up

whitestone
    Free Member

I should mention that the seat pack is probably the easiest of the three main bikepacking style bags to sort out. Frame bags need to be custom to your frame unless you are lucky and a standard one fits. Front bags/harnesses can foul your brake and gear cabling so needs quite a bit of thought in how to sort all that out.

STATO
    Free Member

I’m looking for a seatpack but the rest of the luggage may follow eventually and I like matching stuff.

Im like you, if I can get my stuff to match I will, but for seat pack and bar harness the Wildcat stuff outranks any ive seen. Im not sure about the dry bag they offer, the taper one from alpkit is what I use and such a good shape a size.

Top tube bag I still think revelate beat everyone with their gas-tank.

Frame bags ive only used Revelate so far, a tangle and 2 salsa/revelate designs for specific bikes. Need a new one and not decided between Wildcat and Alpkit yet, probably Wildcat to match the seat pack but with some details from the Alpkit 😀

faustus

I’m waiting for this to come out:

Bindle Rack

And then get a dry bag of the correct colour. The rack can have other stuff attached to it and will hopefully eliminate waggle.

Failing that the ortlieb looks very sturdy.

steezysix
    Free Member

My friend ordered a set of the Altura luggage before we did a ride last month. As soon as it arrived he sent it straight back, said it just didn’t feel up to the job. He then went with Alpmayo Designs, really nice, well thought out and worked a treat! I’ve got a mix of Alpkit and Apidura stuff and very happy with both, but going to get myself the Alpamayo front harness and pouch as I think it’s a better design than the options from the other two.

psycorp
    Free Member

Any reason why folk use seat packs and not rear racks? I use a rack for my trips on the fat bike and it worked really well. Only downside is a bit more weight. My mates seat post mounted solution was much more trouble.

As far as bar mounted kit goes I use one of the bar accessory extenders and use it to prop up whatever I strap to the bars and give the brake cables some breathing room.

andyl
    Free Member

faustus – Member

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/cargo/the-bindle-rack

Rated to 534 kgs

Impressive! (they missed the decimal point)

MadBillMcMad

The alpkit gear has improved recently with much better (grey) buckles.
    The old black ones are shocking are break too easily.

But between me (alpit) & my mate on wildcat I’d go for a wildcat drover with either their own dry bag or the alpkit airlok

The wildcat is much more stable infact it is rock solid where as the alpkit tends to flap a bit

whitestone
    Free Member

Any reason why folk use seat packs and not rear racks?

Been asked a few times. Possibly because the mountain bikes didn’t have eyelets for traditional type racks/panniers so the early bikepackers looked at what was around and modified saddlebags. A quick bit of searching and it seems that the first to appear was only ten years ago, so quite why no-one knows for definite is a bit odd.

From http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/bikepacking-seat-pack-evolution/ we have:

For those unfamiliar, the seat pack is that curious stuffed missile that get’s strapped under the saddle at the rear of the bike. Its placement is inspired by traditional saddle bags, such as the classic canvas designs by Carradice, but the seat pack is designed for more rugged use and its structure is a bit more streamlined as a result. This was a revolution to ultralight multi-day mountain bikers who are able replace the typical below-the-saddle tool bag and carry much more gear in a way that’s significantly lighter and more aerodynamic than traditional panniers.

STATO
    Free Member

Racks are good if they fit. Advantages are you can carry more stuff if you want to, but they are still a bit heavier (tortec alu ~600g, Wildcat seat harness ~200g).

iainc

9 of us used various manufacturers stuff the other weekend on a 3 day trip round Cairngorms. Brands included Blackburn, Apidura, Revelate and Wildcat. The Apidura stuff seemed to be liked least, seatpacks in particular quite unstable. Blackburn seatpack similar. The frame bags were all pretty decent.

The Revelate stuff was the fave, but also priciest.

molgrips
    Free Member

I fancy some kind of bag that can strap securely to a rack and be compressed, rather than a tradition pannier which would bounce ask over the place off road…

amedias
    Free Member

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/cargo/the-bindle-rack

you can make something 90% as good as that from any old rack and a seatpost collar adaptor mount for very little £ indeed, and works well.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

you can make something 90% as good as that from any old rack and a seatpost collar adaptor mount for very little £ indeed, and works well.

I had been looking into this, Salsa seat collar with rack bolts and some stuff from a kite supply shop.

ransos
    Free Member

I fancy some kind of bag that can strap securely to a rack and be compressed, rather than a tradition pannier which would bounce ask over the place off road…

I’ve seen Alpkit bags strapped to a rear rack. Seemed to be fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I’ve seen Alpkit bags strapped to a rear rack. Seemed to be fine.”

im sure it is – and id expect it to be – only its about 800 grams heavier than it needs to be with no discernible benefit.

The reason for the 200gram holster is its literally 3 clips and your dry bags free to take stuff i nand out or the whole dry bag into the tent/bothy/tarp/bnb/5star hotel instead of fannyying around with straps to get it on and off or stuff in and out.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be happier putting more weight on a rack than under my saddle, mind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

weight is not your friend.

whitestone
    Free Member

But you aren’t really carrying more than two or maybe three kg in the saddle pack anyway. Usually it’s just clothing, any dense/heavy stuff will be in the frame bag. Even with a lot of kit I’ll only have eight Kg spread around the bike, most of the time and especially in summer the kit weight is four to five kg.

STATO
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

I’d be happier putting more weight on a rack than under my saddle, mind.

The great thing about not being able to carry extra weight, is not carrying extra weight. Its amazing what you can manage without when you cant carry everything you would like.

Having said that, a mate used a light rack to carry all his stuff in a rucksack on an offroad trip, obviously it survived fine on normal xc stuff, and for anything lairy he just wore it as a pack. Simple sometimes is best.

ransos
    Free Member

im sure it is – and id expect it to be – only its about 800 grams heavier than it needs to be with no discernible benefit.

In the case I described, we were on a leisurely road tour in France. I don’t think anyone was unduly bothered about hauling a pannier rack around.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m well aware of the advantages of lightweight bikepacking. But sometimes you might want to take more. Like, for example, crossing an arid region where you’d want plenty of water. I’d imagined a sort of saddlebag affair where the side bits were triangular to match the rack sides. You could strap it all down tightly and the weight would be as close to the rear axle as possible and hardly affect handling. That might be tricky for a bladder, having said that, but bottles could be good perhaps.

I also have a feeling the traditional rack could be redesigned for bikepacking purposes. Anyone have the means to bend alu tubes? Or lay up carbon fibre?

Btw the rucksack/rack idea had also occurred to me, and I’d consider it for anything that was to include technical bits. But then again, I might as well just use a rucksack – for some reason I don’t mind this much at all, having done enough Polaris challenges this way. If my kit’s light enough I don’t notice. Helps with bike carrying too.

whitestone
    Free Member

Read Greg May’s blog about his kit for the Tour Divide http://www.gregorymay.ie/?p=2998 as to how he intends to deal with the long arid sections.

montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve got 800km on one of those KTM bags, 50:50 on:off-road. Stitching OK so far but I can see how it might go; rest of the bag is fine, and I intend modding it to eliminate future stitching problems.

I met someone with one of those new Blackburn bags – the stitching had completely come apart within a week where the rail straps attach on the top.

Racks and drybags work fine if you want/need to carry more weight, or already have them and don’t want to spend extra money.

psycorp
    Free Member

Conversely I ha e one of the Blackburn frame bags and it seems a well made bit of kit.

Ive not tried a saddle bag. After considering all the options I decided a rack would probably be better for me. Yes it is more weight but it keeps the weight lower on the bike and doesn’t move around, which I’ve read can be a problem with some saddle bags.

Im happy with the compromise.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Yep wouldn’t bother with the Altura one, mines gone back for repair…..

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/altura-vortex-seat-pack-worth-the-money

Will be using my own additional compression strap and glueing some inner tube to the inside of the seat tube strap.

It’s a shame as the bag itself is nice, kept all my stuff dry on my rides, just didn’t like some of the drops on Dartmoor..

molgrips
    Free Member

Those generic Altura framebags make Wildcat custom ones look bloody good VFM.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Seatpacks and bikepacking luggage’ is closed to new replies.