Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 237 total)
  • Gaddafi's death
  • SaxonRider

Did anyone else find the photo of Gaddafi in death quite disturbing?

It makes me think of the days when executed people’s heads were put on pikes for all to see.

It would be nice if the human race could move beyond turning corpses into trophies.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Im told that you have to imagine being repressed and persecuted and tortured for a lifetime before you can understand why the reactions are always so barbaric.
    Im also told that as a comfy westerner ill never understand.
    Apparently, this is the wrong forum too..

Digger90
    Free Member

No.

However, I was disturbed to see the pictures of the victims his troops burned alive in warehouses a couple of weeks ago.

I was disturbed to see pictures of the civilians he has tortured and murdered.

I was disturbed to see the crying faces of the children whose mother and fathers he murdered.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I agree.

spacemonkey

Can’t say I ‘like’ seeing photos of dead people, no matter if they were evil bastards.

Must admit I did check out the video of Saddam’s trapdoor exit shortly after though. Never felt compelled to see it before. Was pretty weird. And not sure it should be available on t’ interspace.

kimbers

its the video of him alive before hand that i found more disturbing

whatever his crimes, it wouldve been better for him to face a trial and potential execution rather than being shot, stripped, dragged behind a truck and then killed (which is i gather what happened)

edit i think he was stripped after death

souldrummer
    Free Member

Have watched the BBC News and Channel 4 and have to say the images broadcast were gruesome and IMO really not necessary. Yes, there were warnings and yes there is an off button but how have we got to the point where this is somehow acceptable for broadcast at 6 or 7pm and furthermore, can the story not be told without using such images?

yossarian
    Free Member

An inglorious and brutal end to an inglorious and brutal man

You usually get what’s coming to you, don’t you?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is the Hague the war crimes/genocide court?

bigbloke
    Free Member

He treated people like they were animals and as such is it surprising he also was treated like an animal in the end?.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Enjoy a good lynching do you digger?

mintimperial

I thought it perhaps shouldn’t have been splashed on the front page of the news sites I saw it on (including the BBC, who really should know better). Prompted some rapid window-shutting when my 3 year old was around, that did. I know we’ve made ourselves a rather nasty little world to live in, but I’m doing my damndest to keep that from him for as long as possible.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bigbloke – Member

He treated people like they were animals

Really? a country with a low mortality rate, good food security, good medical care etc – perhaps one of the most prosperous and stable counties in Africa until we backed one side in a civil war and **** over another country to go with our sucess in Afghanistand an Iraq

Try looking to charles taylors Liberia or amins uganda……………

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Now if only they’d do this to the war criminals of Iraq and Afghanistan… George Bush and Tony Blair

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No.

However, I was disturbed to see the pictures of the victims his troops burned alive in warehouses a couple of weeks ago.

I was disturbed to see pictures of the civilians he has tortured and murdered.

I was disturbed to see the crying faces of the children whose mother and fathers he murdered.

Are you equally disturbed to see the pictures of civilians killed by western troops in Iraq and Afghanistan? Etc…

Whilst I can understand the delight of millions who hated Gaddafi, who was undoubtedly a nasty bastard, what do you think of Iraqis who parade with the dead bodies of US soldiers, who they see as murderous scum in just the same way?

And what if any British people were to want to see the same happen to David Cameron, or Tony Blair, etc?

Not directed to you personally btw, simply general questions.

I don’t really think that dragging a battered corpse around screaming like madmen lends anyone any dignity. And as for those shouting ‘Allah hu Akbar’, well, treating the dead body of a fellow Muslim in such a manner isn’t going to mark you out as a respectable follower of Islam.

SaxonRider

jivehoneyjive – Member

Now if only they’d do this to the war criminals of Iraq and Afghanistan… George Bush and Tony Blair

Even that evil prick Donald Rumsfeld should have the benefit of trial and jail. I’ve never fancied myself a bleeding heart, but the notion of killing someone, then plastering their image all over the public domain, is just terrible.

derekrides
    Free Member

I’d be happy to put Gordon Browns head on a stake and parade it around a bit if you’d like me to and can arrange an opportunity..

If you could chuck Mandelson and Blair in for good measure I might even do it for free..

aracer
    Free Member

perhaps one of the most prosperous and stable counties in Africa

How many of those less prosperous have huge oil reserves? How many of those less stable have autocratic repressive regimes?

allthepies
    Free Member

There were warnings given on the news before the images were broadcast, you could have chosen not to look.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aracer – Member

perhaps one of the most prosperous and stable counties in Africa

How many of those less prosperous have huge oil reserves?

Nigeria?

aracer
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nigeria

yeah – it’s a real basket case

hilldodger
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

And what if any British people were to want to see the same happen to David Cameron, or Tony Blair, etc?

Aren’t you one of those polishing up your dancing shoes in anticipation of a certain ex PMs death ??

To glorify or rejoice in the death of another human being is (IMO) never a justifiable position 🙁

SaxonRider

allthepies – Member

There were warnings given on the news before the images were broadcast, you could have chosen not to look.

Nonsense. First of all, I don’t have a tv, so there were no warnings. I saw the still pictures on Google News, which – as you know – trawls the world’s news sources and simply indexes the headlines.

As it was, I simply went to GN, and was faced with a half-dozen images staring back at me, from such sources as the BBC and the Independent.

oldnpastit

I hope I’m wrong, but it looks like the new Libyan regime doesn’t care much more about justice than the old one.

In which case any democracy they might hope to create will be built on foundations of sand.

mogrim

Really? a country with a low mortality rate, good food security, good medical care etc – perhaps one of the most prosperous and stable counties in Africa until we backed one side in a civil war and **** over another country to go with our sucess in Afghanistand an Iraq

Stability backed up by ruthless crushing of all dissent, though. A fair trial would have been nicer, but I can’t say I’m particularly concerned that he’s dead.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To think hell never be called to account for farting while John Simpson interviewed him. **** outrageous.

mudshark
    Free Member

Advanced civilization seems to mean we have to be nice to everyone no matter what they’ve done. You know, human rights.

Digger90
    Free Member

Enjoy a good lynching do you digger?

Think you should re-read my post as you’ve clearly missed the point.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not that I can see. You seem think its acceptable that he was lynched. any violent death is wrong.

Digger90
    Free Member

Well TJ, if I enjoyed a “good lynching” as you have suggested I would hardly be disturbed by pictures of the remains of people having been burned alive, other victims who had tortured/murdered or by their children who have lost their fathers & mothers would I?

Useful to apply logic before posting sometimes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ut you are not disturbed by seeing a man killed by a mob? OK a bit OTT from me but so was your post. You certainly seemed to be relishing his violent death

brakes
    Free Member

any trial would have been a farce and would have turned him into a cartoon rather than the evil tyrant that he is/ was.
    in the circumstances, I think he had a fair trial.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Do you know, given all the available options I’d rather be dictated to by the Americans, Blair, Cameron or even Thatcher as to what my life might be like rather than Gadaffi or Hussein quite honestly? So while I share some qualms about what has gone on I’m not going to be so hypocritical as to feign indignation whilst continuing to enjoy a way of life that is a function of it.

billyboy
    Free Member

If we were talking about this happening to a nice bloke it might be different…

BUT THIS GEEZER WAS NOT A NICE BLOKE

It isn’t often in this poxy world that something approaching justice happens….the fact that it happened in a poxy way lends it symmetry…

go with the flow people

chewkw
    Free Member

That is not gruesome at all.

They should put him to trial then … hang, drawn and quarter (live TV or pay per view).

The gruesome thing to watch is the little girl in China that got ran over by two vans. That’s gruesome considering 18 people walked passed her without giving any concern. A land with no heart. That 18 people should be hang,drawn and quarter to free up space.

🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blair and Cameron have killed more people than Gaddafi. Or don’t they count if they are in far away countries? as for Bush and Rumsfeldt

There are far worse people that Gadaffi around.

chewkw
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Blair and Cameron have killed more people than Gaddafi. Or don’t they count if they are in far away countries? as for Bush and Rumsfeldt

There are far worse people that Gadaffi around.

Hang, drawn and quarter the lot … live or pay per view TV.

🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

consistency is good I guess chewkw 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Aren’t you one of those polishing up your dancing shoes in anticipation of a certain ex PMs death ??

Yep. What of it?

To glorify or rejoice in the death of another human being is (IMO) never a justifiable position

What if someone’s tortured/raped someone, and then dies/is killed? Shoon’t their victim rejoice in the fact that their attacker can no longer harm them?

Jeeze, there’s people I’ve known who’v met an untimely end. I certainly wasn’t sorry to see them go.

Do you know, given all the available options I’d rather be dictated to by the Americans, Blair, Cameron or even Thatcher as to what my life might be like rather than Gadaffi or Hussein quite honestly? So while I share some qualms about what has gone on I’m not going to be so hypocritical as to feign indignation whilst continuing to enjoy a way of life that is a function of it.

Yeah, but then you enjoy the luxury of not living in a country where the actions/orders of such aforementioned tyrants have a detrimental affect on your way of life.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Yeah, but then you enjoy the luxury of not living in a country where the actions/orders of such aforementioned tyrants have a detrimental affect on your way of life.

Other than screwing my pension, getting my country in debt that my kids will still be paying off, destroying the NHS and free University education etc etc etc.

It all depends on the culture you’re used to, no they’ve not attached electodes to my balls, have they had a detrimental effect on MY life? yes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 237 total)

The topic ‘Gaddafi's death’ is closed to new replies.