Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 237 total)
  • Gaddafi's death
  • grum
    Free Member

Brilliant argument – probably about as good as the one Gaddafi used when he seized power by force. Oh, except his coup was bloodless.

I see you’ve edited now. So they have the ‘right’ because you agree with their supposed politics, which we have imposed so successfully on Iraq and Afghanistan?

Let’s look at one of the new leaders of the glorious democratic revolution, Mustafa Abdul Jalil – he was the man who played a key role in sentencing innocent foreign nurses to death for supposedly infecting Libyan children with HIV. What a man, I’m so glad we supported the ‘good guys’.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Of course Gaddaffi had the right to put down armed rebellion by force – he was the legitimate and recognised leader of the country.

conversly we had no right at all to bomb the shit out of Sirte – a war crime. This is what we are responsible for. 30 000 people dead, 50 000 injured at a bear minimum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15330364

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mcboo – Member

Every right! I’m a democrat. I’m not a pacifist. Some things are worth dying, and killing for.

really – what is worth dying for? What is worth killing people for? Have you served? Why not? Why are you not over their fighting for democracy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_2011_Libyan_civil_war

mcboo
    Free Member

Have you served?

Yes.

I’m off to the pub. See you later.

Of course Gaddaffi had the right to put down armed rebellion by force – he was the legitimate and recognised leader of the country.

Jeezuz christ.

grum
    Free Member

the report of the International Center for Research and Study on Terrorism and Aid to Victims of Terrorism (CIRET-AVT) and the French Center for Research on Intelligence (CF2R) warning that “only a minority of Libyan NTC members are true democrats.” The rest of them are mixed factions of “monarchists, Islamic extremists and former fixtures of the Qaddafi supporters who defected to the rebels for various reasons.”

http://www.thebulgariannews.com/view_news.php?id=132174

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Of course he was McBoo – welcomed to the UN, handshakes with many world leaders.

Oh look – at the UN

Shaking hands with Obama

he had as much legitimacy as The house of Saud for example.

So when did you serve then? What theatre of war? seen people killed have you?

billysugger
    Free Member

Regardless of what I know him to have done and not done I am totally sick of the media saying ‘his death’

Why don’t they tell it like it is and call it ‘his killing’?

Why do they have to rebrand and spoon feed us everything?

Lifer
    Free Member

@ billysugger

Completely agree, was the same with the Gilad Shalit captured/kidnapped (saw kidnapped a lot more than captured).

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think that one of the advantages of a liberal capitalist democracy like ours, is that the more loopy and bizarre modes of political thinking are kept at the entertaining edges of the debate.

Majority opinion tends to gravitate towards the median part of the bell curve – where the grown-ups live.

mcboo
    Free Member

We’ve had some fruit-loopery on STW before but today we have reached absolute rock bottom.

grum
    Free Member

Majority opinion tends to gravitate towards the median part of the bell curve – where the grown-ups live.

Yes, mainstream opinion is always right isn’t it – just like when everyone ‘knew’ that Saddam had WMDs.

We had some fruit-loopery on STW before but today we have reached absolute rock bottom.

I agree.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

McBoo you going to answer the questions? ~When did you serve – what theatre of war?

I ask because generally people who understand what killing is all about are much less gung ho.

Also I’d like to know at what point Gaddaffi lost his legitimacy as leader? 2009 addressing the UN and shaking hands with Obama.

ski
    Free Member

Gonig to miss his dress sence though 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Saudi Arabia would agree with that, the Irish not so much. If only the leaders of Egypt and Syria had done the same eh?

mcboo
    Free Member

McBoo you going to answer the questions?

Thats your beloved UN TJ. Some of us didnt just sit behind a keyboard whining and gobbing off. Actually risked our necks to defend it’s principles.

wrecker
    Free Member

Fat tanky 😀

captaincarbon
    Free Member

McBoom! 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Have you served?

Yes

I’m off to the pub. See you later.

Oh, are you a barman then?

Pint of wheat beer for me please, ta.

seosamh77
    Free Member

piss poor start for Libyan ‘democracy’, that’s for sure..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m stunned that you seem to be defending him. Yes they may have enjoyed all those things but at what price?

It amuses me how some people appear to believe that the alternative to Gaddafi’s 42 year dictatorship was a liberal democracy such as ours. There is not the slightest reason to believe that. The alternative to Gaddafi was a US/Western backed dictatorship – just like every other country in the region.

Gaddafi was brutal, repressive, unpredictable, and quite mad. He interfered in the internal affairs of other countries and supported terrorism, and whilst this was never on the scale of the CIA, it was still nevertheless, wholly unacceptable.

However there is little doubt that the Libyan people did considerably better under Gaddafi than they would have done under a US/Western backed dictatorship – the only possible alternative.

The fact that it took 8 months and 26,000 air missions by NATO to topple him is testament to that. US/Western backed dictatorships have been toppled within days without any outside interference due to overwhelming public opposition …. although they now are busy trying to establish new US/Western backed dictatorships to replace the old ones.

It would also be amusing, if it wasn’t so tragic, how some people appear to automatically assume that the replacement for Gaddafi’s 42 year rule will be a liberal democracy – what exactly is that based on, apart from ‘wishfully thinking’ ?

I truly hope that the Libyan people build themselves a more tolerant society than existed under Gaddafi, and one which doesn’t make the sort of appalling mistakes he made. I fear however that they are very likely to end up with one which is equally intolerant, but without the positive achievements which occurred under Gaddafi.

Western military involvement in Libya was never about ‘saving civilian lives’. It was for economic and strategic reasons. Furthermore the West has not got a clue who they’ve backed – they’re just hoping it was “the good guys”. None of this bodes well, specially when the behaviour of the anti-Gaddafi forces, which includes substantial elements of the old regime and a significant Al-Qaeda presence, is considered. Including repeated condemnations over many months by human rights organisations.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Given TJ’s views on the legitimacy of the rebels I can’t wait for the debate about independence for Jocklandia, when he realises that the legitimate government by his terms is the UK as a whole and that there would therefore be less than no chance of the jocks hsving their way other than us, “the legitimate authority” getting bored with their whining, which to be fair is not to big a leap of the imagination.

Get grip for Christs sake, the guy with the big stick gets to write the rules, the history and the constitution. It was ever thus, and ever will be. You benefit from it hugely, live with it or stop yer whining and sling your hook and prepare for new rules, history and constitution to be imposed upon your worthless backside. 😉

mcboo
    Free Member

I fear however that they are very likely to end up with one which is equally intolerant, but without the positive achievements which occurred under Gaddafi.

Why? Because they are Arabs? Muslims? What is it about the population thats convinces you they are incapable ever of creating for themselves a civilised society?

Lincoln had it

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
    Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation, so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
    But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mcboo

Why? Because they are Arabs? Muslims? What is it about the population thats convinces you they are incapable ever of creating for themselves a civilised society?

Copy and paste the bit where I said that “they are incapable ever of creating for themselves a civilised society”

And if you are interested in knowing why I think it is “very likely” that they’ll end up with an equally intolerant society after Gaddafi, why don’t you read my post again properly, instead of quoting Abraham Lincoln……I don’t see the point of repeating myself.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Live by the sword, die by the sword . . . . . .

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Where’s my ****ing beer?

Useless….. 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Live by the sword, die by the sword . . . . . .

Ah yes, Matthew verse 26:52 …….. “Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword”

This was of course said to a disciple who drew his sword to protect Jesus.

I never had you down as a religious person who quotes the bible Oxboy …….. do you draw much moral inspiration from the bible ? Good for you.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It would also be amusing, if it wasn’t so tragic, how some people appear to automatically assume that the replacement for Gaddafi’s 42 year rule will be a liberal democracy – what exactly is that based on, apart from ‘wishfully thinking’ ?

The intention of educated and articulate Libyan exiles to return and work for it. The desire of western Governments to enable it. The intent of multinational companies to open and exploit the new market created by it. The will at the U.N. to make it happen.

For starters.

donsimon
    Free Member

Get the buggers signed into the €urozone, what with all that oil and it’s not that far away… Several birds and one stone.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The intention of educated and articulate Libyan exiles to return and work for it.

Seems as if it’s almost buttoned-up then.

The desire of western Governments to enable it.

🙂 Like they have also desired in every other country in the region ? Before Britain left Libya after the mandate, it invented a monarchy so that a dictatorship could be established to serve it’s best interests.

The intent of multinational companies to open and exploit the new market created by it.

😀

The will at the U.N. to make it happen.

I don’t think you understand the role of the UN. It is not the job of the UN to dictate to countries how they should be governed. None of the Arab countries in the UN are liberal democracies.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I understand the role of the U.N. perfectly, thankyou. Majority vote, isn’t it? Finagled in the way these things usually are, I would imagine, given the desire to cooperate on advancing the cause.

Tunisia on Sunday is going to be a useful bell-weather prediction on how the situation in the Maghreb and therefore the rest of the “Arab world” is likely to move, given time and encouragement. Personally, I prefer to be more optimistic, not having any “Marxist”-type axe to grind and a wish to see it all go t1ts up.

Hopefully, as don has suggested, let’s get it sorted and everybody can make a few bucks out of it and move forward. * (Smiley emoticon to indicate whatever…).

* Opportuity for segueing into a rant about “Capitalism” there, if you like.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I understand the role of the U.N. perfectly, thankyou.

Obviously you don’t. You proved that by claiming that the UN will decide how Libya will be governed.

Personally, I prefer to be more optimistic, not having any “Marxist”-type axe to grind and a wish to see it all go t1ts up.

Optimism is great, and I’m all for it, but it’s useful if it’s based on something. The evidence exists that it is “very likely” Libya under the new regime will not be a tolerant society.

Serious human rights violations, documented for some time by human rights organisations – without a “Marxist-type axe to grind”, in areas controlled by the NTC does not bode well. Nor does the behaviour of the NTC itself which has repeatedly acted in a highly dubious manner, including the arrest of it’s own military leader who was then murdered whilst in custody; the repeated lies and misinformation they have released; and the rescheduling of promised elections. And of course the actual composition of the NTC is also a cause of serious concern.

And btw, far from wanting wishing “to see it all go t1ts up”, the complete reverse is true. The overwhelming evidence is that public opinion in the region is deeply hostile to Western hegemony. It is for this very reason that the Western powers have installed and propped up over many decades highly repressive regimes in the region. Allowed to freely choose their own governments, without interference, it is highly unlike that the people in the region will freely elect governments which will serve the best interests of Western multinational companies.

It is for this very reason that Western governments are extremely unlikely to allow the people in the region to freely choose their own governments without interference. And why they are now rushing to help themselves to Libya’s vast wealth without even the Libyan people’s consent – there is always the possibility that elections might eventually be held, and there’s always the possibility that despite the best effort to do so, these elections might not be manipulated sufficiently to produce the desired result. So best fill yer boots before anyone asks the Libyan people if they mind.

British firms urged to ‘pack suitcases’ in rush for Libya business

I have far more idealogical commitment to democracy in the region than Western governments Woppit.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Obviously you don’t. You proved that by claiming that the UN will decide how Libya will be governed.

It is interesting to note that, whilst you often complain that others misinterpret and misquote what you have written, you are quite prepared to engage in misquoting others, yourself.

Nowhere did I say that the U.N. will “decide” how Libya will be run.

The rest of your suppositions are just suppositions, although I take your points about the NTC. It is interesting that, despite their objectionable past behaviour, they are being portrayed as the “Mr Clean” option for the transitional phase.

I have no objection to “The West” trying to engineer the situation to it’s advantage. Having a lot of oil and being able to sell it is good for Libya and potentially good for us. I am “intensely relaxed” with the idea that the nations who supported the revolution would get preferential status with regard to those sales and other investment opportunities. If it takes an engineered liberal capitalist democracy to do it, so much the better.

The argument for a government that supports Western interests, is stronger inside the North African debate than you seem to give it credit for, in my opinion, although of course there are other voices – nationalistic/Islamic/anti-capitalist and so forth.

I still prefer to remain optimistic at this stage, despite the evidently poor record of Western-created governments “longevity falures” in the past. Setting up a democracy which is open to influence could be a much better bet than setting up a “Monarchy” or a “Dictatorship” as has been the habit in the past.

billysugger
    Free Member

‘engineered liberal capitalist democracy’ I feel sick.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It is interesting to note that, whilst you often complain that others misinterpret and misquote what you have written, you are quite prepared to engage in misquoting others, yourself.

Nowhere did I say that the U.N. will “decide” how Libya will be run.

You want to read what you post, me ol fruit.

I suggested that it was wrong to “automatically assume that the replacement for Gaddafi’s 42 year rule will be a liberal democracy”. You responded to that with, amongst other points, “The will at the U.N. to make it happen”. It is not the role of the UN to ‘make happen’ liberal democracy. None of the other countries in the Arab League are liberal democracies, despite being members of the UN.

Of course if you didn’t mean what you said then that’s another story, but I don’t see the point of accusing me of ‘engaging in misquoting’ ….I actually copied and posted your whole sentence.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes, shame the world wags the way it does, isn’t it. Still, the engineered thingummy is infinitely preferable to, say, an Islamic Monarchy such as Saudi Arabia, in my opinion (yes, yes, I know – we sell them arms and all that…) or an engineered Chile or the like.

One day I daresay we’ll all join hands all over the world and everybody will love everybody else and it will all be celebrated in the song that you’d like to teach the world to sing, eh billy?

Until then, just keep taking the Gaviscon.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Fair enough, Ernesto.

billysugger
    Free Member

Is your blood pumping Mr Woppit?

Every thread descends into some form of cloaked/backhanded insult when clearly we all know absolutely naff all about each other.

Maybe one day when this capitalist democracy way has been shown only to create greedy people and a ‘them and us attitude’ some country that’s not living on it’s past will come and impose their regime onto the UK.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is your blood pumping Mr Woppit?

Apparently, I’m still concious.

Every thread descends into some form of cloaked/backhanded insult when clearly we all know absolutely naff all about each other.

Does it? Oo-er. Seems a bit silly. Didn’t mean to come across as insulting – just attempting humour old boy. Must remember to use the emoticon – should have been 😉 or something. Sorry.

Maybe one day when this capitalist democracy way has been shown only to create greedy people and a ‘them and us attitude’ some country that’s not living on it’s past will come and impose their regime onto the UK.

Seems a bit of a long shot but, O.K. then.

It’s an interesting debate though – whether or not to “interfere” in another country’s affairs. The argument that one should just stand back and let others get on with their own affairs seems seductive and morally “right”but, isn’t there an echo of Chamberlain’s “Chekoslovakia is a small country a long way away and is nothing to do with us” in that approach?

Junkyard
    Free Member

remembers what a supercilious humourless male hen whoppit is and just walks away shaking his head.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..isn’t there an echo of Chamberlain’s “Chekoslovakia is a small country a long way away and is nothing to do with us” in that approach?

😀 Yes the similarity between the situation today in North Africa/the Middle East, and Germany’s lebensraum policy of the 1930s, is obvious !

Tell me if I’ve “misquoted you” Woppit …….. won’t you ?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 237 total)

The topic ‘Gaddafi's death’ is closed to new replies.