• This topic has 1,769 replies, 139 voices, and was last updated 16 hours ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 1,770 total)
  • Formula 1 2024 – WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS
  • crazy-legs

I’ve dropped out of watching F1 due to a change in TV package but I’m in Nice for the Tour in July so I’m going to try and ride the Monaco GP circuit. I know some bits of it are custom built for the race but info online suggests that the basic circuit including the tunnel is all rideable.🤞

That Red Bull looked properly pancaked! Amazing work from the structure that the cockpit was unscathed.

shermer75
    Free Member

This puts Ferrari within 24 points of Red Bull in the constructors and Leclerc within 31 points of Verstappen in the drivers championships. Fingers crossed it might not be quite such a Red Bull dominated season after all

shermer75
    Free Member

I know some bits of it are custom built for the race but info online suggests that the basic circuit including the tunnel is all rideable

I’ve always wanted to do this!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Even the 8 minutes of highlights were dull, can’t imagine watching the whole thing 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Le Mans in a few weeks 🎉🎉🎉

TiRed

Great result but what a dull race. Had to lie down for the last third after my race this morning. I didn’t miss anything.

shermer75
    Free Member

Had to lie down for the last third after my race this morning. I didn’t miss anything.

Nope, you did not

cp

shermer75

Free Member

I know some bits of it are custom built for the race but info online suggests that the basic circuit including the tunnel is all rideable

Yep it is, I rode it a few years ago, really quite interesting to see where/what they actually race on

Twodogs

Anyone know what Lewis meant with his comment about not expecting to be ahead of George in qualifying all season, followed by a cryptic “we’ll see”?

andrewh
    Free Member

More likely that he was teammates with Max at Torro Rosso and there was friction

I was wondering if that was part of the decision making process, from either side

There was an interview with Sainz last year, I can’t find the clip now, where he was asked something about racing against Lewis Hamilton and he said something like ‘it’s never easy going up against an eight time world champion’. The journalist corrected him and said seven, and Carlos said ‘2021 was Lewis’s’

shermer75
    Free Member

There was an interview with Sainz last year, I can’t find the clip now, where he was asked something about racing against Lewis Hamilton and he said something like ‘it’s never easy going up against an eight time world champion’. The journalist corrected him and said seven, and Carlos said ‘2021 was Lewis’s’

I’ve always liked him

chrismac

Anyone know what Lewis meant with his comment about not expecting to be ahead of George in qualifying all season

george is getting all the upgrades first. Not a great suprise given Lewis moving on

vlad_the_invader

george is getting all the upgrades first. Not a great suprise given Lewis moving on

Apparently, Merc had a new front wing for Monaco (as in it was so new, they’d only brought one from the factory). George mentioned on C4 that he and Lewis were gonna toss a coin to decide who got it, but Lewis let him have it (I’m paraphrasing). So it sounds like Lewis is being somewhat disingenuous…

the-muffin-man

Nurburgring 24hr live on YouTube for those who may be interested! 👍

thols2

George mentioned on C4 that he and Lewis were gonna toss a coin to decide who got it, but Lewis let him have it (I’m paraphrasing). So it sounds like Lewis is being somewhat disingenuous…

I think what happened was that Lewis didn’t want it because there was no spare and therefore they would have had to revert to the old spec if it was damaged in practice, which would mean that the car setup would be compromised.

Hamilton can be very irritating at times – when things don’t go well, he tends to whine and moan without really thinking, then he calms down and it’s all forgotten. It’s just how he is, it doesn’t really mean anything.

Twodogs

I read somewhere that Red Bull won’t sign Carlos Jr, not because of tension between him and Max, but because of tension between Carlos Snr and Verstappen Snr!

escrs
    Free Member

I read somewhere that Red Bull won’t sign Carlos Jr, not because of tension between him and Max, but because of tension between Carlos Snr and Verstappen Snr!

That dosent surprise me, id be very surprised if Carlos went to Redbull, i cant see Redbull or Max wanting a driver who would push Max and has the hunger for their first WDC, they have seen whats happened in the past when they and other teams had two drivers pushing each other, things can get messy and go wrong

All the time Checo was being number 2 and coming in 2nd things were perfect, so if Checo cant keep that up (clearly he cant) they would be looking for a driver who would be willing to accept they are a number 2 driver

I did hear that Max was trying to get Hulk into the Redbull seat as they are good friends and he knows he would be a number two driver but i guess Redbull didnt want him hence he is off to Sauber/Audi

escrs
    Free Member

Bottas finally back on a podium!

Bet the guy who came first says he’s faster than an F1 driver lol

mashr

because of tension between Carlos Snr and Verstappen Snr!

that would be amazing to see. Can only imagine that Sainz Snr earns wwwaaayyy more respect and clout than Verstappen

boomerlives
    Free Member

What?

You think that ex World Champ Sainz gets more respect than jailbird wife beater Jos?

Surely not?

mashr

Surely not?

Depends. Are we looking from the POV of the real world, or in Jos’ head?

nickc

I think Sainz Jr won’t go to RB as he worked hard to extract himself from all that as he realised 7 years ago that it was only ever going to be as a no.2 to Max. Hence his move to Renault. I can’t imagine that he’d now (after driving for McLaren and Ferrari) want to go backwards in his career, especially with the unknowns of a spec change and RB’s move to an in-house engine.

the-muffin-man

yzsc9eg4le3d1

multi21
    Free Member

Ocon out of Alpine!

the-muffin-man

It’ll be no great loss if he leaves F1 entirely.

nickc

“well, that’s a surprise” said nobody

oomidamon

Nobody went with ‘Oc-gone’ or ‘Oc-off’?

multi21
    Free Member

this from twitter made me chuckle:

Bez

Honestly, who hasn’t driven a car that’s so bad you’ve just wanted to crash it into something?

(I’m looking at you, 1993 Vauxhall Astra saloon. Actually… come to think of it, I did crash it.)

Daffy

I’ll bet Verstappen will be planning a nice leaving gift for him…

vlad_the_invader

nickc

“well, that’s a surprise” said nobody

It surprised me that he wasn’t sacked immediately!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve seen Ocon needlessly clash wheels with teammates before – banging wheels with Perez and throwing away valuable points in holding up Alonso.  Ocon has never been able to resist this sort of thing, sharing a garage with a guy with whom he has a long standing antipathy is a recipe for disaster.  Alpine desperately needs points, as things stand they’re second from last after eight races.

spannermonkey

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/sergio-perez-red-bull-new-f1-deal/

Perez confirmed at RB for 2025 & (poss) 2026

Twodogs

Disappointed Perez is carrying on.  Too many journeyman (IMHO) drivers in F1.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s amazing that the top team can’t attract a better driver

vlad_the_invader

It’s amazing that the top team can’t attract a better driver

The combination of Verstappen & Horner toxicity must only appeal to a very limited number of drivers…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Would you want to join RB?

Upcoming Driver – Here is the chance to drive possibly the best F1 car there is, but you are not allowed to win any races unless Max has already retired from that race. At all other times you must be subservient to Max and everything we will do will be focussed on Max. You can simply come along for the ride for a year or so.

Older Driver – You can see out your time with possibly the best F1 car there is, but you will be associated with the most toxic and disliked brand in F1 just when you are looking for post-racing retirements gigs as brand ambassador etc. Oh, and you are still not allowed to win and must remain subservient to Max’s whims.

This leaves the middle ground of drivers who just need a seat and would be happy with some points occasionally as they know they are never going to make the top of the podium anyway and have given up hope of the WDC in the future already. Oh, and don’t mind letting Max win every race and be subservient to Max’s whims.

not the most appealing of options

nickc

I think RB are probably agnostic as to which driver in the team comes first – It’s probably true of every team TBH. But in reality you’d need to be an exceptional talent to get past Max anyway. I think the problem is that with a resurgent Ferraris and Maclarens, and the fact all four of those drivers can get past Perez that surprised me about the decision. But balance that with the fact he’s a known entity, it makes the Verstappen side of the garage content (for now at least) and RB don’t need any more headaches, you end up with this.

Having Perez as your no.2 when you’ve clearly got a better car works well enough, when you don’t have that car advantage, he’s exposed, and then so’s Max. For a neutral fans perspective, it makes for more exciting racing though.

andrewh
    Free Member

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article/revealed-the-f1-team-bosses-choose-their-top-10-drivers-of-2023.2bTFcy4xt21OFJQSZoiL3e

This is the ranking which matters, and Perez dropped five places last year. I had him as my own driver of the year back in 2020 after a great 2019 but he’s dropping back now. Just riding it out until retirement or genuinely trying but not as quick as he was?

What stands out for me on that list though is that you need to be in a top team to show that you’re fast. So extra kudos to Albon I think, it does seem to support the idea that he is outperforming that car

Chew
    Free Member

If you listen to the High Performance podcast with Albon he explains the issue very well.

When RedBull had a car advantage Perez could be 0.4 seconds a lap behind Max and that would still be P2

Now that the others are catching up that 0.4s gap is putting him P6-10

Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 1,770 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.