Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)
  • Forgotten bands, hidden gems
  • tazzymtb

loud,creaming jesus, curve, the nymphs, eves plumb, sunshot

all random stuff that turned up on a random playlist form the depths of collection the other day, bloomin loved sunshot, remember them supporting new model army and then hunting down their album.

redmex
    Free Member

Love is here by Starsailor , good debut album then struggled with the second album syndrome
    Mama Said Lenny Kravitz, he seem to be kept busy these days with his F1 Sky duties

sadexpunk

first one that sprung to mind for me was because i heard a song on 6 music yesterday and thought ahh that sounds like Asian Dub Foundation, i wonder what happened to them….
    had 2 or 3 good singles back in the day, Naxalite, Free Satpal Ram and Buzzin come to mind.

choppersquad
    Free Member

That Petrol Emotion….. ‘Chemicrazy’ still gets a lot of airtime in my house’.

funkmasterp

Deltron 3030 by Deltron 3030 this still sounds as good as the first day I heard it back in 2000

A fantastic proper hip-hop album. The instrumental version is ace too.definitely a hidden gem if tastes are more mainstream.

I was listening to Dust by Screaming Trees as part of my trip down Lanegan Lane. Still think it’s up there with Superunknown as one of the best of the 90’s

anagallis_arvensis

Vent 414

Supposedly some new material in the works.

That Petrol Emotion….. ‘Chemicrazy’

That’s a cracker, what was their last album, Fireproof or something…that’s great.

Eat Yourself Whole by Kingmaker..is my suggestion for this thread.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Creamy Mushrooms, life is a source.

kayak23

I’d forgotten how much I loved Swervedriver. Not sure what prompted me but listened to their album again the other day.

Waderider
    Free Member

Beta Band

jamj1974

– Throwing Copper – that’s a good one suggested above.
    – I prefer Southern Harmony and Musical Companion by The Black Crowes, rather than SYMM.
    – Loveless, never stopped listening TBH
    – The Stairs, Mexican R&B. I was astonished last week to see Weedbus mentioned on here.
    – Primal Scream, Vanishing Point
    – Felt, pretty much any album
    – Teenage Fanclub, Grand Prix
    – Cosmic Rough Riders, Enjoy the Melodic Sunshine
    – The Real People, Marshmellow Lane

sc-xc

I’ve been listening to Family Cat (Tell ’em we’re surfin’) and New Cranes (Frontline) a lot this week…it’s like I’ve gone back in time.

anagallis_arvensis

I’d forgotten how much I loved Swervedriver

I saw them play about three years ago, I’d forgotten how much I hated that dull drone….ain’t musical taste great, would be so boring if we all loved the same stuff!!!

gallowayboy

– Cosmic Rough Riders, Enjoy the Melodic Sunshine

Wow. Twenty years ago this week we drove around southern spain, partner 5mths pregnant with our son, that was part of the soundtrack. Loved it, haven’t listened to it for years. As a side note we ended up in Barcelona, noticed that Gorkys Zygotic Mynci were playing, got a sneaky gig in as well!
    Their Spanish Dance Troupe and Barafundle are also lost hidden gems.

nbt

You may be able to tell I was a rock fan in the late ’80s. A sample song from each of the artists I noticed from quickly scanning one shelf of my CD collection (excluding great artists who had massive commercial success like Queensryche)

King’s X

Walter Trout

Goergia Satellites

Jeff Healey

Shelter

fasthaggis

The The – Soul Mining
    Arrested Development – 3 years,5months,2 days.
    The Streets – Original Pirate Material.

wait4me

Pale Saints – Comforts of Madness.

jamj1974

Wow. Twenty years ago this week we drove around southern spain, partner 5mths pregnant with our son

Must be a lovely memory!

footflaps

I discovered Danger Danger the other week – been listening to them pretty much constantly since…

Great album artwork as well

There’s a really good live album on Spotify as well..

nickc

Spotify threw up Dizzy by the Throwing muses (from Hunkpapa) a few nights ago, which led my down a lovely wee sidetrack of The Breeders, Belly, The Amps and The Perfect.

jamj1974

Beta Band

Hot Shots 2 is a great album – the Three EP’s even better.

I still listen to all of theirs to be honest. Steve Masons solo work is also good.

Stainypants

I’ve been listening to Liquidizer by Jesus Jones this week which I love.

Wedding present Seamonsters I hated it when it came out as I thought it
    was a Steve Albini produced racket it’s now in my top 5 favourite LP of all time now. They’d grown up I hadn’t.

House of Love House of Love on Fontana is brilliant just came out at the wrong time. Im going listen to it this afternoon on my ride.

Carter have been on TOTP on BBC4 a lot recently I’ll give the Love Albumn a go as i always loved their singles but never got properly into them.

sadexpunk

I’ll give the Love Albumn a go as i always loved their singles but never got properly into them

1st two albums far superior IMHO.

Mackem

Recent rediscoveries…

Right Now – Van Halen
    Alright – Supergrass
    Locomotive breath – Jethro Tull
    Rain – The Cult
    Deliverance – The Mission
    Moonchild – Fields of the Nephilim
    Dominion – Sisters of Mercy.

I’ve gone a bit Goth.

jamj1974

Supergrass

In It for the Money is still regularly on my playlist.

fruitbat

Gryphon

Be Bop Deluxe

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Senser – Age of Panic
    Cocteau Twins – Bluebell Knoll
    Mega City Four – Who cares wins or Sebastopol Rd.
    Senseless Things – The First of too many
    Curve – Doppelgänger
    Maria McKee – You gotta sin to be saved

The-Beard

Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires

Yes!  We used to play that all the time in a bar I used to work in.  Took me ages to hunt down a copy.

I used to love trawling late night radio shows for oddities and rarities.  One I picked up from that was an artist called Sandy Dillon, think Tom Wait’s eccentric niece and you’re maybe getting close.  I had an album of hers called Electric Chair which I recently found on Apple Music, so listened to it again.  Still think it’s great.  Also, after I listened to it once the songs from that album went to the top of the artists most popular songs list!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks to Rick Beato: Muddy Magnolias.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RD1jK_ibeXD88&playnext=1

llama

Recent old crap in my Spotify history, I mean I would not say they are forgotten, because I did not forget them, more oldie-but-goodie:

69 Love songs – Magnetic fields
    Ladies and gentlemen … – Spritualized
    Dummy – Portishead
    Exhile on Coldharbour Lane – A3
    Beaucoup Fish – Underworld

chakaping
    Free Member

Pat Fish aka The Jazz Butcher passed away recently. Even in his heyday he was under-appreciated and a bit apart from musical fashions, but he made some really beautiful songs.

This first one features Sonic Boom of Spacemen 3 fame at the end, fact fans…

chakaping
    Free Member

69 Love songs – Magnetic fields

*fist bump*

Goosebumps every time.

cheese@4p

Close Lobsters – Foxheads Stalk This Land
    I believe they have reformed recently

cheese@4p

early 70s prog band Van Der Graaf Generator

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I saw the Cosmic Rough Riders supporting The Black Crowes at the Barras about 20 years ago. Also saw the Gin Blossoms supporting the Spin Doctors at the same venue almost 30 years ago.

MSP

These are tracks that did pretty well on release, but I never hear any more other than my own playlists.

reef, place your hands
    rocket from a crypt, on a rope
    sneaker pimps, 6 underground
    the choral, dreaming of you

cinnamon_girl

Mountain.

Nantucket sleigh ride! What a tune

Yep, used to have that on vinyl. Leslie West is no longer with us sadly.

IdleJon

I found a cd by Men at Work (remember them?) and stuck it in the player. It always makes me laugh how well their most famous song still sounds great. Anyway later on in the album I stumbled into this, and thought blimey, that is a great and beautiful song.

Both of the first 2 albums are full of excellent tunes – I loved them at the time and still do. Colin Hay is still making music and still has that distinctive voice. In fact, he’s just released an album, which is a little less quirky than MAW but is still good.

darthpunk
    Free Member

I always thought Sugar were massively underrated

Sugar – Tilted

And Buffalo Tom should have been way bigger than they were

derek_starship
    Free Member

@chestercopperpot – The drummer from FT (Adrian Parkin) used to be MD of the company I work for.

This is a beautiful album from 1989.It got me through some shitty times in the early 90s.

Shoegaze / folk with gorgeous lyrics and harmonies.

Lead vocalist is actor Rebecca Pidgeon.

Pyro

Glad Deltron and the Dust Junkys have got a shout, both awesome albums – Deltron Event II is well worth a listen.

I’m a 90’s kid as well, so I’d say the following tracks rank in there for me
    – Bluetones – Slight Return. Everyone talks about the big 90s Indie bands but Bluetones get forgotten
    – Geneva – No One Speaks (Clicky!). Supported the Bluetones in ’95-96ish interestingly enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.