Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)
  • Forgotten bands, hidden gems
  • kormoran
    Free Member

I was thinking the other day that I haven’t bought any ‘new’ music for well over a decade, i’m still enjoying a lifetime of LP’s that pretty much make up the soundtrack in my head. In the car the other morning I found a cd by Men at Work (remember them?) and stuck it in the player. It always makes me laugh how well their most famous song still sounds great. Anyway later on in the album I stumbled into this, and thought blimey, that is a great and beautiful song. Sat in my glove box for years and never noticed it until now.

So what are you long lost and hidden music gems?

stumpy01

Neneh Cherry – Raw Like Sushi
    Guns n Roses – Appetite for Destruction
    Green Day – Dookie
    The Black Crowes – Shake your Money Maker
    The Wildhearts – Earth Vs The Wildhearts
    Metallica – The black one
    Pulp – Different Class
    Chris Isaak – Wicked Game
    Sheryl Crow – Tuesday Night Music Club

chriscubed

I listened to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine last week. First time for dozens of years, no idea why…but…wow its still good

simondbarnes

I was listening to Men At Work on my commute today 🙂

fluided
    Free Member

Deltron 3030 by Deltron 3030 this still sounds as good as the first day I heard it back in 2000

IHN

Guns n Roses – Appetite for Destruction

I think you need to reassess your definition of hidden gems from forgotten bands.

andygreener

Ben Folds Five by Ben Folds Five

Fat-boy-fat

The Neon Handshake – Hell is for Heroes

easily
    Free Member

Stumpy: are any of those forgotten? They all seem pretty well known to me.

Albums I loved, then forgot about, then remembered again:

Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires

Sly & Robbie – Rhythm Killers

James Brown – In the Jungle Groove

Psychedelic Furs – Talk Talk Talk

Isaac Hayes – Hot Buttered Soul

Big Joe Turner and the Trumpet Kings – The Trumpet Kings (Higly recommended)

Propaganda – A Secret Wish

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

TAD
    Fudge Tunnel

kormoran
    Free Member

Flippin ‘eck Tucker, that is another one of my forgotten bands, hidden gems! Such a good album

MoreCashThanDash

Good shout – sound of my 6th Form, heard Duel on the radio the other day for the first time in about 30 years

CountZero

I have a vinyl album by a band called Beckett, released in 1974, sort of prog rock. Very obscure, Shazam doesn’t recognise it, and unsurprisingly it’s not on iTunes or Apple Music, which is a shame, ‘cos I have fond memories of it, and I’d love a digital copy. It may be on cd, but my computer isn’t working, so I can’t even rip a copy and import it into my Apple Music library. 😕

The whole album’s on YouTube, and I’ve always liked the cover design – the central part would make an interesting tattoo, I think…

I’m pretty sure I can find plenty of obscure, forgotten bands, in fact, I’ve just remembered one I saw at Reading in ‘95, called Star 69, formed in London, fronted by an American singer, Julie Daniels with the rest of the band British, one member being the drummer with The Sundays. Sadly, only released the one album, and then broke up.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Anything by The Rezillos/Revillos.
    What about The Gymslips?

bigblackshed

Counting Crows – August and Everything After.

It was huge when it came out 1994?, then they disappeared for years. I put it on a few months ago. It stunned me how good it was and brought back loads of memories.

sillyoldman

The Wolfgang Press – Bird Wood Cage.

MartynS

Counting crows is a good shout, in a similar vein..
    Gin blossoms new miserable experience.

CountZero

Another band I’ve only recently rediscovered, to my shame, as they were a Bristol band, and I never got to see them, was Stackridge.

Sadly, no rubarb or dustbin lids to be seen.

Counting Crows – August and Everything After.

It was huge when it came out 1994?, then they disappeared for years. I put it on a few months ago. It stunned me how good it was and brought back loads of memories.

Well, they released another six albums after that, the most recent in 2021, called Butter Miracle Suite One, Which Adam Duritz worked on here in the U.K., where he’s been living.

I saw them at the IoW Festival in 2015, along with the likes of Susanne Vega, Blur, The Prodigy and Fleetwood Mac, so they were in August company…

ceramicmatt

China Drum – Goosefair
    Cable – When animals attack
    Mad Season – Above

ceramicmatt

Telstar Ponies – In the space of a few minutes

ceramicmatt

Vent 414
    Aereogramme – Sleep and Release

duncancallum

Mountain.

Nantucket sleigh ride! What a tune

CountZero

Counting Crows at the IoW Festival. His hair’s a lot shorter these days…

Oh, and August & Everything was 1993.

Anyone remember Curve? Love them to bits, saw them twice, there was supposed to be a reformation, but Toni Halliday decided against it, because she wasn’t happy about the whole music industry, which I was rather sad about. They did a couple of promotional prints of album sleeves, which I have signed copies of, so that’s something.

kormoran
    Free Member

joelowden

Fisher z … Word Salad … Cracking

barrywalker
    Free Member

Immediate thoughts:

Dodgy, Homegrown
    Gomez, Bring it on
    Beck, Odeley
    Finley Quaye, Maverick a strike
    Mazy Star, So tonight that I might see
    Live, Throwing Copper

Sure there’s loads more….

muzzle
    Free Member

Anything at all by New Fast Automatic Daffodils – criminally underrated band.

duncancallum

Ooof

Throwing copper what an album

Dodgy, Homegrown
    Gomez, Bring it on
    Beck, Odeley
    Finley Quaye, Maverick a strike
    Mazy Star, So tonight that I might see
    Live, Throwing Copper

I’ve listened to something off each of these albums in the last couple of weeks. Mostly because Mrs.10 put on a Gomez station on Pandora!

scaredypants

How about Longpigs ? My phone rediscovered them recently while I was having a shuffle in the car 😖

1st album (the sun is often out) was best for me

didnthurt

I know music is a very personal thing (and is often of a time) but there is lots above that really sound terrible to my ears (sorry). My era was the 90’s so am a bit spoilt for good bands. I will persist though as I do like expanding the music I listen to.

didnthurt

Super furry animals.

didnthurt

I was listening to a fair bit of PJ Harvey on Spotify the other week. She has a huge back catalogue with some great tunes mixed in with some that are pretty out there, for me anyway.

luv2ride
    Free Member

^This. Still love playing bass along with the NewFADs Pigeonhole lp, ..

Anything by EAT. Bloody loved that band and saw them loads of times. Always thought Ange Dolittle was a criminally underrated vocalist and a great frontman. Thinking about it, his Big Yoga Muffin side project has stood up really well too…

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

These are the 1st 2 that came to mind…

Deltron 3030 is an excellent shout; only thing is it’s anything but forgotten as it’s up there with my all time favs!

reeksy

Funny how people’s perspectives differ.

So much of this doesn’t seem forgotten at all. Counting Crows? Sheryl Crow?

Gomez? My eight year old knows pretty much every song they ever released 🤣

Bands and albums I’ve temporarily forgotten might be:
    Toasted Heretic, LSD isn’t what it used to be
    Ozric Tentacles, Pungent Effulgent
    Das Efx
    Travis, the man who

Then stuff I wasn’t really interested in like Wonder Stuff and Carter USM

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Disappears into – As usual
    Niche Bullshit – Always a thread like this

think both were John Peel favourites

Northwind

The Dust Junkys, Done and Dusted
    Foil, with the bloody incredible Spread It All Around.
    Carter USM still have a big following but the entire rest of the world’s forgotten them so I’m still nominating 1992: The Love Album.
    And Dub War- Pain. It’d still sound amazing if it came out tomorrow

Awesome shout on Neon Handshake Fat-Boy-Fat, gutted we have to wait another year to see that live again.

scaredypants

How about Longpigs ? My phone rediscovered them recently while I was having a shuffle in the car 😖

What an absolute bloody tune She Said is.

kelvin

Amen to that.

CountZero

My era was the 90’s so am a bit spoilt for good bands.

Um, a number of those referred to above are 90’s bands, and having lived through the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, I’ll bet I can find a lot more music I don’t actually like than you can, and probably some of it will be favourites of yours!

Disappears into – As usual
    Niche Bullshit – Always a thread like this

think both were John Peel favourites

Well, you could always not bother commenting and bugger off somewhere that’s more to your taste…

#rollseyes

Many of those bands above were big sellers, so hardly ‘niche’…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.