Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)
  • Forgotten bands, hidden gems
  • CountZero

This band popped up the other day, saw them supporting Aimee Mann some years back and fell in love with them. They do seem to be still going, but no recent releases that I can see.

smell_it
    Free Member
    ricbikemag

Was watching a random top of the pops from ‘93 and Kingmaker came on. Hadn’t thought about them for years but still remembered all the words

kayak23

Was watching a random top of the pops from ‘93 and Kingmaker came on. Hadn’t thought about them for years but still remembered all the words

God yeah. Think I saw them play at their height. Can’t even remember if I imagined that though 😅

anagallis_arvensis

I met a lovely young lady at a Kingmaker gig……..happy days

cheese@4p

How about the sadly overlooked and underrated Earl Brutus?

oreetmon
    Free Member

The sultans of ping FC

CountZero

I think this is very definitely a ‘hidden jem’! I didn’t even know of this songs existence until a day or so ago, when I heard it played on 6Music. It’s never been released, and it’s beautiful.

It was recorded when the two musicians involved were in a brief relationship, and the female half of the pair has said she didn’t want it released because it was unfinished. I beg to differ, it’s perfect just as it is.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

One for the STW massive.

desperatebicycle

cheese@4p

How about the sadly overlooked and underrated Earl Brutus?

See previous page 🙂

beer247
    Free Member

My contribution is generally semi-obscure 00’s indie bands:

Battle (not to be confused with Battles) Back to Earth EP (the actual follow up album was terrible)
    Kubichek – Nightjoy, not sure they ever released an album but this is a great tune
    !ForwardRussia! – Give me a wall, good shouty indie
    The Longcut – i saw these guys support Nine Black Alps at Manchester Academy, saw them a couple of times after, including in the upstairs of Dulcimer in Chorlton. A Tried and Tested Method is a great album
    The Long Blondes – Someone to Drive You Home/Couples, both good albums in their own way – they split up for a while as the guitarist had a stroke, believe they are making a comeback though.

choppersquad
    Free Member

This really is an excellent thread.
    Just saying.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Audioweb popped up on my phone library in the car the other day. Saw them a few times back in the day, really enjoyed their reggae indie mashups. Remember seeing Lo Fidelity All-stars at the Zodiac on Cowley Road in Oxford. The Unbelievable Truth weren’t bad either.

I think they divided opinion at the time, but saw Kula Shaker touring their first album at the Fleece in Bristol. They were a great live band! Also saw Reef at the same place just before (or just after) and they’ve been a favourite of mine ever since…

This may going out on a limb as a bit prog, but any love out their for It Bites? Forget the “Calling all the heroes” single nonsense, but their other stuff was well good – probably saw them 6 or 7 times touring their first two albums. Think their (very gifted) singer and guitarist, Francis Dunnery, went on to play for Robert Plants touring band…

desperatebicycle

Lo Fidelity All-stars

Saw them a few times .. still sound good now! Saw their farewell gig in Brighton too, just weren’t the same without (whatever happened to..??) The Wrecked Train.

wordnumb
    Free Member

^ but that’s just someone talking over a Pigeonhed track. Now that’s a band that should’ve been better known.

desperatebicycle

Ok , fussy!

Now that’s a band that should’ve been better known.

He was after the Lofis did that!

wordnumb
    Free Member

True. Still waiting for the third record though.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve replied to this but recently (re)discovered The Toadies (had one pretty famous song in the 90s – Possum Kingdom?). Their stuff is brilliant, absolutely brilliant but even better is Vaden Todd Lewis’ band which he setup in a brief bit of time away from Toadies called Burden Brothers.

jamj1974

CountZero

This popped up on my phone earlier today, I loved this band! They deserved to get much more attention than they did, great tunes, proper singalong stuff, sadly broke up in 2019. ☹️

This played shortly afterwards; another great band, one of a number of Canadian bands I discovered through 6Music, they released a couple of albums, but called it a day.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Look for The Gymslips on youtube. Only one video by the original version “Dear Marge”
    Later metally, black oufit stuff isn’t the same (or even the same people ?)
    The Only Ones? Another Girl surely has the best ntro ever.
    The Rezillos/Revillos. Youtube “Scuba”
    While you are there look for Leroy Troy, especially Ghost Chickens in the Sky. PMSL
    Actually there are many gems to be found by just clicking on the random music pop up suggestions on Youtube.

grimep
    Free Member

here’s a blast from the past……

Prolapse TCR promo video

CountZero

Does anyone remember The Dear Janes? Great indi/folk, with much wry lyrics going on. Saw them a few times, got to know them quite well, Ginny Clee, it turned out, was born very close to where I grew up in Chippenham, her husband was former bassist with Shriekback, another forgotten band. After the band finally called it a day, Ginny released one solo album before becoming a voice coach. Her former Co-conspirator, Barbara Marsh, seems to have disappeared completely. Shame, they were really lovely people.

How about Dubstar?

Lush

and Jellyfish.

desperatebicycle

her husband was former bassist with Shriekback, another forgotten band.

Barry Andrews off of Shriekback is still releasing interesting stuff. Though this is old, it’s one of my faves

Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.