Home Forums Bike Forum Flat –> post mount compatibility (TRP Hy/Rd) and other Camino-related questions

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Flat –> post mount compatibility (TRP Hy/Rd) and other Camino-related questions
  • Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a Sonder Camino frameset and was hoping the hivemind might help with the build. I was planning on transferring everything across from my Genesis CdF (2015 model). There are issues with this plan.

Aside from needing new wheels for the bolt-throughs, I’ve just realised that the frameset is I believe, flat mount. I’ve emailed Alpkit to confirm. Current brakes are post-mount attached with an adaptor to the IS mount on the CdF frame. Whilst you can get adaptors for flat–> post mount, I think the caliper might just be physically too big to fit – particularly with an adaptor. Does anyone actually know?

If it IS too big, what are my options? As I see it:
    1) Get one of the newer post-mount TRP HyRds which presumably will fit. Cost is a bit steep at £90.
    2) Get a smaller cable-only brake (Spyre / BB5 or something). Cost = £50. I’m sure it would be fine but feels a bit like a downgrade.
    3) That weird Giant stem with integrated cable discs. I think Hope and TRP both do similar systems that I also don’t want.
    4) Go nuclear. Hydro disc setup. I’ve been hankering after this for a while and I’m sure I’ll do it at some point but wasn’t planning on it at the moment. The problem is, I think it necessitates a change of groupset. Currently running fairly new 10 Spd Tiagra which I quite like – it’s totally fine and chains / cassettes are cheap.

I’m sensing mission-creep here. I didn’t mind upgrading the wheels (the ones that came on my CdF were a POS) but I appear to be talking myself into a new groupset. Suddenly a £300 frame is turning into quite an expensive upgrade…

A few hopefully useful links:
    Brake calipers are bulky – they look like THIS.

Link to frameset.

faustus

i have the same frameset, and used flat to post adaptors that worked fine. I’m using hydros, but the 160mm rotor adaptor for flat to post gives you a bit more room for the caliper, so i think it would fita hy-rd i’d have thought.

If you went hydro then you could go tiagra 4720 if you wanted to stay 10 speed. The grx400 clutch mech is also 10 speed. This is a good price and works with rest of your existing drivetrain:
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-tiagra-st-4720-br-4770-2×10-speed-disc-brake-set-870488?currency=3&delivery_country=190&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjIbfgK356QIVCevtCh2A0A5jEAQYBCABEgL_PfD_BwE

nixie

The giant conduct is actually quite good.

faustus

Cheapest option is try the Hy-rd’s with flat mount adaptors, here’s a pic of the rear to give you an idea of clearance with 160mm adaptor. It’s an XL frame so angle of seatstay may be more depending on frame size. The front is usually where there are clearance issues with Hy-rd’s touching spokes, but again somewhat mitigated by the adaptor

Superficial
    Free Member

@Faustus Ah – awesome. That picture is just what I needed. I think you might be right – perhaps the HyRds will fit after all.

If you have the fork as well, can you confirm the front wheel axle size? I can’t find that info anywhere official. I’m guessing it’s 100×12?

The giant conduct is actually quite good.

Yeah, I’ve heard that from others as well. The problem is that I can’t shake the feeling it’s a hack. So it’s fine as a problem-solver but I wouldn’t use it by choice. And yes I’m aware the HyRds are a hack too! I wouldn’t have chosen them but actually they work well too – they’re just a bit heavy.

nixie

Yeah maybe a hack but one I’m happy with for what it ended up costs (not a lot after I sold the crap cable brakes I had before). I don’t see the bulge as I uses the accessories kit thats available to mount my GPS and front light directly to it. I compared it back to back with a set of the semi hyrdo calipers and the difference was night and day. Mine feels pretty much like a full hydro system. Yeah its not as good as full hydro but its pretty damn close. If you did get one the SL is the better version (the master cylinder with adjusters on it).

If you did want to go the conduct way I have two flat mount calipers that would sell cheap as I converted mine to postmount to fit my V1 camino. You can get all the other bits seperately for less than the system.

faustus

@Superficial Yes, definitely 12×100 front axle. The adaptor pushes the caliper even further out on the front, so should be all good. Good luck! The Camino frame and fork is really good by the way, I really enjoy the ride and you’ll probably feel the difference over the CdF.

EDIT – worth noting if you’re looking for wheelsets, 15×100 is more common and you can just buy a sleeve adaptor for the axle to make it fit, it’s what i use and it works perfectly. Gives you more choice of wheels. Like this one: https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/hubs-c120/15-to-12mm-adaptor-sleeve-p19999/s61034?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=halo-15-to-12mm-adaptor-sleeve-hxhaa1512f&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwoT0z8j56QIVAbTtCh3YTAhmEAQYAiABEgK3kvD_BwE

Superficial
    Free Member

Cool, thanks.

I’ve got a Mavic Allroad rear wheel so I think I’m gonna get the matching front one. They come with adaptors for QR or 100x12mm (but not 100x15mm).

forked
    Free Member

Spyres are £40 here https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/trp-spyre-flat-mount-caliper

The flat mount looks tidier, I think it’d be worth a go for £40. I can’t comment on their performance versus the HYRDs, but if you set them up properly then they perform pretty well.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve bought some adaptors* off the back of the advice above. At some point I’ll upgrade the whole lot to those Tiagra brakes I think.

* and a front wheel. And some flared drops. And some bar tape. And some tools, just because tools are great. Doing my bit for the economy.

ScotlandTheScared

I have a new TRP HyRd caliper (in shiny silver) you can have – £65 posted – if you’re interested. I tried to fit it to my road bike in place of the Spyre, but it didn’t fit as it interfered with my frame. So its been ‘fitted’, then put approximately back in its box. PM me if you want a photo – it’s post mount and cost me £95.
    STS.

Superficial
    Free Member

So, thanks for all the advice – spot on as usual. For anyone else wondering about post mount brakes on the Camino, here’s my picture:

So it fits, just. It’s really awkward to adjust the brake since you can’t get even an L-shaped allen key on the rear post mount. Just about managed it with a ball-ended one, otherwise you’d have to remove the flat mount adaptor entirely just to adjust the brake alignment. Oh, and the Sonder frame has very deep flat mount bolt holes on the frame so the bolts included with the adaptor didn’t fit – hence the mis-shaped spares box ones I’m running. I guess I should cut the rear one down at some point.

Other pics, because new bikes are ace:

Neat cable routing for the fork, although would be annoying with hydro discs.

Hopefully get a proper ride on it this weekend.

bigrich

not enough orange bits

antigee
    Free Member

garden needs attention

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Flat –> post mount compatibility (TRP Hy/Rd) and other Camino-related questions’ is closed to new replies.