Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Finding quality workers
  • righty
    Free Member

I have a company and in this supposed recession I am having real problems finding people who will turn up on time and work as they should for pretty good money.
    Is this the general trend these days that people seem to do the minimum possible and have no work ethic whatsoever.

Keen to hear others views

compositepro
    Free Member

do you mean people with skills or just people who can be arsed to attend

RustySpanner

Where are you based?

jekkyl

What sort of job are you offering?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m out of work after completing a PGCE and I’d kill for regular work.

Not sure why you’re getting the scumbags. But there are still good people out there looking for work.

allthepies
    Free Member

Get some Eastern Yurpeans in.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Capitalism, isn’t it?

Maximise income, minimise output.

gwaelod
    Free Member

how much are you paying – if it’s not significantly above what people can get in benefits why should they bother working?

z1ppy

Too many companies seemingly believe that workers should prostrate themselves at their employers feet, just because they’ve been given a job.
    Looking around, other employers are using the recession to reduces wages to a level acceptable 10 years ago, and wonder why they have no respect or loyalty from there employees (not suggesting this is the case for the OP).

Still on the other side of the argument, a number of ppl I know can’t get a tradesman to turn up (or even quote) and do the work that they have the cash ready waiting to pay for.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The company I was working for paid peanuts and wondered why they were getting monkeys. I always said if they pay was right then they would attract some common sense and brain power. Maybe not.

ampthill

I’d love to know more

I recon most of my students will be great employees. Even if some are a bit tardy at college.

But I expect that they will end up in top line graduate professions with really good salaries

If you mean they are not turning up then on time or missing days then you have me sympathy and see no excuse for it

project
    Free Member

Without details of the job, work hours, and job description,wage,pension,location,etc, the job doesnt appeal to most people.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Upto 25k it service desk in SW London going on profile history.

br
    Free Member

A better question would be where do we find quality Managers, as IME this is where the greatest failing is.

righty
    Free Member

London and south east mainly but will be nationwide as needed.
    most roles just require IMO common sense.
    paying between £80-£150 for 6/8hour shift, not wishing to openly recruit so contact me via http://www.mibsolutions.co.uk for more info

Anyway back to discussion, I dont think I am paying peanuts but still getting plenty of monkeys.Its not rocket science by any means really simple stuff that anyone with an ounce of intelligence could do I suppose there are just too many thick people out there lol

tonyplym
    Free Member

Does the company offer any training opportunities ? – a chat to some of my graduates suggests that too many employers seem to be expecting to employ only fully trained staff without being prepared themselves to facilitate any additional training or skill development.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m on staff 8am to 4.30/5 pm ish, but grafted like **** all week, 7am to 6pm, but I’m 38 have a mortgage and two kids and I’m sure it’ll be remembered come Christmas time…

righty
    Free Member

mosey mtb that is my day job 🙂 and they were looking for another engineer at the time

MIB Solutions is MY company and to give you an idea of how busy we are we have probably done 400 man days of work in the past 5 weeks :mrgreen:

Bunnyhop

jamie oliver was saying something similar not too long ago.

i started work as a teenager on a pittance and was treated badly, however after hard work was promoted and a few years later got myself a fantastic job at a new firm by the age of 22.

i see that some (not all) people want something for nothing and are not prepared to put in some hard work at the beginning of a new position in a company. if it really is so bad, get some experience under their belts and move on.

this country imo has become very work shy.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m with the OP – been in business 9 years and for every good employee we’ve had one that takes the piss. We pay well (above average) and offer a good package (including a half day per week to allow staff to work on their own projects and offer flexible working etc) yet we still have employees swearing at us, turning up late, not wanting to put hours in when occasionally asked, not wanting to be involved as part of the team.

And these are graduates, not just 16 yr olds tossing it off for beer money.

righty
    Free Member

the only roles that require a bit more nouce are server decomm/recomm but again not really too difficult

towzer

op – out of interest – do you pay everybody the same irrespective of ability, effort time keeping,sickness, quality of work etc etc put in

is there relationship between employee pay and company performance/profits, is there a relationship between company owner pay and company performance and how do the two compare

maths please, can you do the below:
    ‘pretty good money’ – (tax + travel costs + extra food costs + possibly childcare costs + etc costs)

loum
    Free Member

IMO it’s not the pay level that motivates people to ” turn up on time and work as they should for pretty good money.

Obviously some people are more reliable and better workers than others. But the chances are they would still be better workers and more reliable if they’d been taken on at a different rate, higher or lower.
    Pay level is unlikely to be the answer.
    They’ve agreed to the rate on taking the job so it must be acceptable.

If you’re having motivational problems with a series of workers, you need to look at what’s wrong with the rest of the package.
    Poor working conditions are a far more likely de-motivator, leading to lack of commitment. Particularly if it’s worse than they expected from recruitment. Sort that out, and you sort your workforce motivation.

I suppose there are just too many thick people out there lol

Yet smart enough to get past your selection process ? lol

righty
    Free Member

people think they are owed a 30k plus job 🙄
    with no skills or life experience and just dont seem willing

jekkyl

Doing what for beer money? John, I’ll ‘come’ and work for you if you’re paying people to do that.

righty
    Free Member

its easy unskilled work, its a chilled atmosphere, everyone works as part of a team and the quicker we work the earlier we finish for the same pay so you could be getting £100 for 4 hours work-that’s hardly bad is it?
    That would certainly motive me and I would hope most people

loum
    Free Member

TBH, it doesn’t sound too bad at all.

johndoh
    Free Member

😀 I run a fluffing agency

righty
    Free Member

op – out of interest – do you pay everybody the same irrespective of ability, effort time keeping,sickness, quality of work etc etc put in

is there relationship between employee pay and company performance/profits, is there a relationship between company owner pay and company performance and how do the two compare

maths please, can you do the below:
    ‘pretty good money’ – (tax + travel costs + extra food costs + possibly childcare costs + etc costs)

I pay people for the shift they do that’s it, be it porter, fitter, it engineer,server engineer or foreman. if people don’t work there is no pay, we don’t employ anyone we just have various consultants for the different roles 🙂
    ATM I don’t feel the need to offer performance related pay but its something I will consider as we grow.
    pretty good money is pretty good money its not my concern what other costs there are, people accept it and work hard or don’t do the work

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

EDIT: So you are talking about self employed piece work?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Area of country and doing what ?

righty
    Free Member

self employed yes, there is no way I would go paye, even more shirkers lol

London and south-east ATM but nationwide soon

towzer

so – it’s like a zero hours contract, with no stability, no guarantee of annual income etc ? sort of like an agency , you’re not actually an employer are you ?

righty
    Free Member

No I’m certainly not an employer and would never want to be, I do give lots of work to my consultants though.

As 95% of our contracts are evenings and weekends, so all of my guys have full time jobs as well like me, so for all of us this an extra income that we all enjoy, we work really hard and play hard and enjoy the rewards, so stability isn’t an issue

grum
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to work for you. HTH.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Places I have worked where we use agency/temporary staff to cover single or multiple days work that way for a number of reasons.

The main two I see are that they are really good at their job but want/need the flexibility of that way of working OR they really want a full time job but, for some strange reason, no-one ever wants them full time.

I think you’ll have to accept that offer work on a cash in hand day to day basis it’s quite likely you will get quite a few of the latter type in the mix.

righty
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to work for you. HTH.

mmm enlighten me

Ideally you have a job already, this is extra money on top, not sure what’s not to like really but each to their own 🙂

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Just thinking out loud in response to your original post.

Didn’t think you were talking about it mainly being jobs on the side from their full time roles.

I wonder if they are equally poor in their main job then?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

so all of my guys have full time jobs as well like me, so for all of us this an extra income that we all enjoy, we work really hard and play hard and enjoy the rewards

If that’s true for most of your workers then maybe you just have to accept a percentage who are crap and not offer them any other work. Difficult for you, maybe, but seems the only solution.

righty
    Free Member

A lot of the guys are trades people or have full time roles a degree of flexibility is good but we try and accommodate as the main thing is that the contract is completed with no issues on time or ahead of schedule. There are some that seem to be happy for this to be their only work, not sure why its just the way they are.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Finding quality workers’ is closed to new replies.