Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Finding quality workers
  • righty
    Free Member

From http://www.mibsolutions.co.uk/
    Which is why use highly qualified engineers to undertake the work.

taken in context this refers to server engineers who are all Cisco and MS qualified and have help desk jobs as their day jobs.

Its not rocket science by any means really simple stuff that anyone with an ounce of intelligence could do…

refers to fitters/porters who can be trained quickly to perform the tasks they need to do.
    thanks for all the pm’s :mrgreen:

Karinofnine

I was going to apply, I need some extra money. I’m a good employee, very proactive too but I have a back problem and there’s no way I can lift/pack stuff.

Turning to your website: it’s equipment, not equiptment, centre not center. “timely delays”? I think you mean time-consuming delays, timely is the wrong word.

I haven’t read it all, but on the first page, in the lists of services you provide, you might look at how you’ve given some words an initial capital, and not others (not including proper nouns or the first word on the line).

(I’m being helpful btw, not trying to be rude – if I see a website/advert with spelling mistakes and bad punctuation I think twice about using the service offered.)

righty
    Free Member

Thanks for your comments, we will be addressing the errors shortly, basically we have been so busy fulfilling contracts that we didn’t have chance to proofread 100%, there are also a couple of duplicate pages, we are about to change the look completely and re brand the logo etc so all should be fixed.

Sandwich

Self-employed and the jobs you have described would be mutually incompatible. I suspect the more genned up will have seen the IR35 trap and walked away quickly. Mrs Sandwich was expressed a professional interest in the system (this is a bad thing, like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters).

konabunny
    Free Member

Self-employed and the jobs you have described would be mutually incompatible. I suspect the more genned up will have seen the IR35 trap and walked away quickly. Mrs Sandwich was expressed a professional interest in the system (this is a bad thing, like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters).

Yes, I was about to say this too. I find it hard to believe the workers are not temp employees in reality – at least the kids hulking the stuff around.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

If I had spare time I’d be interested in a job like righty offers if the money was reasonable but IR35 would definitely be a possible issue. The reality would either be a carefully worded contract (and pray HMRC never really look into it) or just sign up with one of the companies like Giant and then accept that the employer contributions also come off your hourly rate – the only possible benefit being able to claim expenses etc.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

what about health and safety issues–if an incident occurs–and people are injured by another party —according to your terms they are at the mercy of the market– not worth endangering your main job ?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Crappy attitude that has become the way of life in our country.
    pay etc is irrelevant. When you agree to something you stick to it. Its very easy.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a similar problem here in Luxembourg. The locals don’t seem to want to work for private enterprise as the government is a job for life and pays quite well (and needs you to speak Luxembourgish which means mostly locals). Most of our applications come from outside the country and the majority of those from outside the region.

Considering the papers are full of the fact that young people can’t find work, I can only assume that the state safety net is more than adequate for most of them while they wait for their chance at the easy life to come along.

grahamg
    Free Member

It’s a funny one this, I’ve always been a slacker in my personal life, but as soon as I’m getting paid (no matter what the rate) I’m going to work hard to the best of my ability. Maybe the SE jobs market is bouyant enough for people to be picky? I know that elsewhere the quality of temps is through the roof as you get many ‘professional’ types needing any old work following redundancy etc.

robdob
    Free Member

My brother in law designs production lines at his company and often has to construct new ones with minimal downtime – eg needs doing in an 8hr work shift. So it’s important that the contractors they take on arrive in plenty of time and are ready to go the second the previous shift finishes.
    He is down in Somerset and said he tried various companies in the region but they all let him down, arriving an hour or two late which meant the job had to be cancelled at the last minute. Eventually he tried a company from Newcastle – a huge distance to go for a contract for most people. That team drove from Newcastle, were on time, finished the job ahead of schedule and with the best quality of work.
    From then on he’s used Northern companies and had much better results. They weren’t cheaper as they had some distance to travel but he could rely on them to do a great job.

righty
    Free Member

what about health and safety issues–if an incident occurs–and people are injured by another party —according to your terms they are at the mercy of the market– not worth endangering your main job ?

we have all the relevant insurances required by law to protect all consultants

make hay while the sun shines is my motto, if it stops shining, change your business to service another growth area.
    However the sheer scale of global organisations based in the UK looking to occupy new real estate is astounding

righty
    Free Member

we have all the relevant insurances required by law to protect all consultants

make hay while the sun shines is my motto, if it stops shining, change your business to service another growth area.
    However the sheer scale of global organisations based in the UK looking to occupy new real estate is astounding

nealglover
    Free Member

real estate

Didn’t realise the work was in America.

I’m more tempted now.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

My God! STW has gone so far up its upper-middle class chuff that there is a thread about The Servant Problem!

righty
    Free Member

🙄

JulianA
    Free Member

I agree with all those who have picked up on the spelling and grammar on your website. If you pride yourself on attention to detail and don’t demonstrate same on your website why should people trust you? Something of a ‘fail’ there…

bearnecessities

Watched this since it started. The only abiding opinion I’m left with is that I’m impressed with what you’re doing. You saw a market, you’re trying to make a business out of it (whilst holding down your normal job especially impressive)

Some good advice here, some crap as usual.

However, please drop ‘lol’ 😉

I wish you and whoever earns a good income from your venture good luck.

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Finding quality workers’ is closed to new replies.