Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Films filmed in your home town
  • Dead Man’s Shoes is the big one for me in Matlock.

Quite poignant for me too, spending a bit of time growing up on the estate where most of it was filmed.

Other than that, there was the Princess Bride around Haddon Hall and probs quite a few period dramas around there/Chatsworth

I was born in Sheffield, so there’s a bit to choose from there too. Threads (which I’ve never seen) and When Saturday Comes to name a couple

stumpyjon

Not films but telly, Juliet Bravo and Brassic in Bacup. Not sure the second one is something to be proud of….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not having a home town to speak of, how about something filmed near where I live?

😉

Tracey

Main one for me would be Kes

BadlyWiredDog

The League of Gentlemen… well, technically just over the hill in sunny Hadfield, but more than close enough I reckon. You’ll never leave. But I did.

Technically I guess not a ‘film’ however.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Human Traffic is a big one, well one that was filmed here and was actually set here, usually we get to double up for cooler city.

We do a lot of TV here

Dr. WHo was shot here for years, usually doubling up as London or some nameless town. Casualty is mostly filmed here, doubling for a Bristol, or a fictional South West England town like Bristol, Holby City which is supposedly set in the same hospital is filmed in England somewhere. A discovery of Witches is made here, I visited the set with work it’s HUGE. Sex Education, His Dark Materials, Sherlock (again doubling for London), War of the Worlds (the new one) doubling for bits of France, probably in one of the big TV studios rather than on location.

Cougar

The Nature of the Beast. Film Four straight-to-TV outing that no-one’s ever seen or heard of.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272747/

The school scenes were filmed at my school, I’m just out of shot in like a quarter of the film.

It’s really weird to watch as a local because it maps like a dream. The kids will be running down a street, turn the corner and be somewhere that’s actually five miles away.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Dead Man’s Shoes is the big one for me in Matlock

I love that film. Kinky Boots is the only one I know of that had any filming in Northampton.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Superman IV had scenes shot in Milton Keynes, the station where I have coffee after my morning commute features. Lob a yellow school bus and a red fire hydrant in and there you have it, a realistic American scene.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Under the Skin

rhinofive

Mister P

I love that film. Kinky Boots is the only one I know of that had any filming in Northampton.

…….although I suspect the rail station with the fields behind it was filmed somewhere else?

EDIT – google tells me they used the quiet sleepy village of , err, Wellingborough for that bit

johndrummer
    Free Member

Rita Sue & Bob Too

The council estate bits were filmed on the Buttershaw Estate, South of Bradford, where Andrea Dunbar grew up.
    Bob’s house is one one of the 70s estates in Baildon, about half a mile from where I live now

I’m sure there have been others too

joeegg
    Free Member

Rita,Sue and Bob too . The costumer designer actually came into our clothes shop for advice about the sort of clothes for the actors. I don’t think trackie bottoms were as popular then.

dknwhy

Loads of stuff here in Croydon

Cro Cro Land

Some TV series too – Peep Show was filmed a lot here. Their local was the Oval Tavern.

wors
    MSP

Yanks was filmed in town when I was really young, and we were dragged in as extras waving american flags as the “troops” walked through town.

But the highlight as a teenager was seeing an episode of Jossy’s giants being filmed while aimlessly wondering round the town centre in my school lunch hour.

mmiz
    Free Member

Control

Mister-P
    Free Member

…….although I suspect the rail station with the fields behind it was filmed somewhere else?

EDIT – google tells me they used the quiet sleepy village of , err, Wellingborough for that bit

I have to admit I haven’t seen the film so I wouldn’t know. And there’s no fields behind Wellingborough station now as there’s a housing estate being built.

Philby

The Damned United
    Leeds United – not about the football team but a BBC TV play about a strike by female textile workers
    Some of Billy Liar was filmed in Leeds and neighbouring Bradford (where I went to school).
    Mischief Night
    White Girl – BBC film shot in Leeds and Bradford
    Red Riding – based on David Peace’s Red Riding Quartet
    Emmerdale is filmed locally

willard

They filmed quite a bit of “The Fourth Protocol” (Michael Caine, Pierce Brosnan) round near where I grew up. Mind you, Suffolk was/is a hotbed of USAF bases, so made it an easy choice for the film. The most memorable part of it for me was when the helo flew up the Orwell past Cliff Quay power station (back when it was actually a power station) and he stayed in The White Horse back when it was actually a hotel, rather than a (shit pub filled with students|empty|Blacks outdoor shop|Starbucks & Whetherspoons).

Other than that, it seems most of the Ipswich-related stuff is all about serial killers.

maccruiskeen

Where I grew up… some bits if Chariots of Fire

where I live now a few seconds of mission impossible

jimw
    Free Member

The only one I know of was a music video, a few seconds of which was filmed about 100m from our house

dirkpitt74

There’s been quite a lot filmed in Birmingham – although not Peaky Blinders apparently…..
    Closest they got to Brum was the Black Country Museum in Dudley – majority is filmed in Manchester & Liverpool.

Some of Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One was filmed around Digbeth.

Zombie apocalypse movie The Girl With All The Gifts was filmed in Brum and my now home Cannock (well filmed on the Chase – although some parts of Cannock look they they’re from a Zombie apocalypse movie……).

My Mrs was born & grew up in Jersey during the 80’s so Bergerac was a big thing over there.

beanum

Like some others here there’s nothing from my home town. Would a bike stunt film for my adopted home town’s tourist agency be acceptable? 🙂

andy8442
    Free Member

I’m looking straight at Baildon Moor where they shot “that” scene in the car in Rita, Sue and Bob too. Theres no snow on it currently.

welshfarmer

“The Revenge of Billy the Kid” was partly filmed at a farm just down the road. If you’ve not seen it then it comes highly recommended if you like the worst kind of British horror/comedy B-movies. Also filmed literally just up the road are the opening scenes to An American Werewolf in London. I can’t ride there at night without the hairs on my neck standing on end. “don’t stray from the path”…
    And finally there was a film made here a few years back called “Resistance” based on a story by a local author. They used several local farms as locations and 2 of my sheepdogs appear in the opening scene (and are in the credits). I even had a small part in one scene as a German officer, along with loads of other locals as extras, but that whole scene ended up on the cutting room floor!

That is the back of my head at 42 seconds 🙂
    https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1218092569?playlistId=tt1391116&ref_=tt_ov_vi

Northwind

Trainspotting, and Filth. Still great ambassadors for the city.

Tons of stuff gets filmed here but not that much is actually set here. Avengers though, and the great work of cinematic art that is the next fast and furious film.

nickc

Happy Valley… shot mostly on location. (doesn’t half block up the town when all the Buses, vans, lorries for outside broadcast rock up.

Also I used to live near where they filmed all the Midsummer Murders, and as it happens the Vicar of Dibley. Mostly a couple of locations/villages in the Chilterns. Also in the Chilts, frequently rode past the pond into which Truly Scrumptious drives at the start of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. (which coincidentally is the same village where a certain Rob Warner lives.) and the Windmill where the Grandfather lives is not far from there either.  I think mostly as the Chilts is the easiest “proper woods” you can get to from Pinewood Studios.

scud
    Free Member

Coming from Portsmouth, i had to have a search:

Cool Answer – Tommy

Not so cool answer – Tomorrow Never Dies and unsurprisingly Carry on Admiral!!

I now live in rural Norfolk and the only thing i know of that was filmed here was Allo, Allo

EDIT – used IMDB- now found out that actually where i love now is cooler than i thought, The Eagle has Landed filmed on Holkham Beach, Dad’s Army filmed at Thetford

firestarter
    Free Member

Tyrannosaur is filmed round where I live and work, great cast too

jag61

mischeif night was filmed around where i used to teach in Beeston /belle isle leeds
    had to watch it with kids on a residential… ‘my cousin/brother/ mate lives there’ it was pretty grim and realistic from what i remember. fortunately Not my home town. Apologies to leeds residents.
    BUT Teletubbies was filmed where i grew up!( stratford upon avon) Apologies to everyone:)

DrJ

I live up the road from Rowley Way/Alexandra Road, so loads, recent one being Hard Sun.

On Film

Also used by me for photos 🙂

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Nearest was Much Wenlock where I went to secondary school. Gone to Earth (1950) was filmed around Wenlock; some of my mates’ parents had been extras. Clockwise (1984) – John Cleese film, was partly shot in and around the town.

white101

Get Carter

Thankfully lots of the bits of town (Gateshead) used are long gone.

Paradiso
    Free Member

Atonement down the road at Redcar. The beach doubled for Dunkirk. I was an extra, along with hundreds of others. I was a French soldier with helmet, great coat and rifle. Got about £100 for 2 days.

white101

We had an episode of Vera filmed in the street opposite me last year. We got wine and chocolates for letting the wardrobe and costumes truck park outside our house.

soundninjauk

The World’s End was filmed in my home town and a similar one up the road. Not sure it’s a good advert for growing up there…

andy5390

Get Carter

Thankfully lots of the bits of town (Gateshead) used are long gone.

I can remember going to the top of the car park when I was about 10, and dropping water bombs onto the shopping precinct below – I was born in Gateshead and my grandparents lived there.

Part of Get Carter was also filmed in Blyth, where I grew up, at the staithes on the river

Also Alien 3, at Blyth power station

And Vera

PJay
    Free Member

The nearest to me (although not my home town) would be Hot Fuzz (Wells). I was sat eating my lunch in the market square and got moved on so they could film a scene.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Films filmed in your home town’ is closed to new replies.