Home Forums Bike Forum Fast put capable gravel tyre 60-70% road 40-30% offroad

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fast put capable gravel tyre 60-70% road 40-30% offroad
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Hu guys

Just making up my firts gravel bike. Looking for a nice fast tyre as about 60% of my riding will be on road but also want something capable enough for the flat lands off Cambridgeshire offroad.

Was thinking G-Ones or Gravel King SK

What are peopels recommendations.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ritchey Alpine JB WCS.

cheers_drive

I’m in Ely and use Gravel King SKs for a similar mix. They work well on most surfaces apart from claggy clay mud but I avoid those areas as they are not fun even with mud tyres.
    I really rate the tyres, puncture resistance is good, very supple and roll well on the road. The only time lost grip and come off is on wet grass but no tyre is great for that. Even work well on the trails at Thetford.

hardtailonly

I’m currently running the WTB Resolute 700×42. It’s a good tyre for most purposes but possibly a bit too knobbly for your use; my rides tend towards 70% plus off road. They still roll well on tarmac, but perhaps just a bit too much tyre for what you’re after.

johnnystorm

I’ve done a couple of 200k mostly road rides with WTB Riddler 37s. Not much slower than the gravelking slicks I usually use.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Depends if the offroad bits will be mostly slippery or mostly rocky.

If mostly slippery, something slightly knobbly with a fast rolling middle makes sense, like the Resolute or Schwalbe G-One bite, both of which apparently roll really well given the tread
    https://granfondo-cycling.com/the-best-gravel-tire/

If mostly rocky, I’d go for high volume slick, 47mm-50mm or so. Plenty of those in 650b, in 700c not so much but there are Schwalbe G-one speed in 50mm I think

dovebiker

I have one bike with G-One Speeds and another with WTB Riddlers – for mixed road and summer use the G-Ones are great – barely any difference in speed with a slick tyre. The Riddlers have a bigger side knob so have a bit more grip for looser / softer conditions but roll nearly as fast as the G-Ones

trailwagger
    Free Member

What size wheels? Ground conditions? Frame Clearance?

We need to know all those before anyone can recommend.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

700c
    Got room for up to 45
    To be honest ill likely stay on the roads until it gets drier and then just bridleways, fire roads and farm tracks
    Anyhting else i will ride on my MTB

fudge9202
    Free Member

Depends as above but had g-ones and gravelkings but then went to Soma Cazadero so good put a set on the son’s bike and bought another set for mine. They were 650b and now for sale as going back to 709c but will be grabbing a pair in 700c x 50 for the new wheels being built

These

Reviewed: Soma Cazadero 42c Gravel Tire by Panaracer

trailwagger
    Free Member

700c
    Got room for up to 45

In that case Bontrager GR1 or GR2. The GR2 has wider spaced pimples (they are not big enough to be called knobs). Nice supple, light tyres.

If money is no object the Donelly Xplor tubeless are great but around £60 a tyre!

Edit – G-ones and Riddlers are notorious for punctures.

submarined
    Free Member

Sounds very similar to me. I’ve just fitted 38C GravelKings and very impressed in the 18 miles on road I’ve done so far…
    Fast and light. I’m not going off road until it dries out!

spacemonkey

Maxxis Rambler 40 do the job for me. Quick enough on the road and plenty fun on the North Downs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What I have…
    40mm G-One Bites, solid on and off, fine in mud, handle the rocks, tubless no issues once they were up. Been running them for the last 10 months now refreshingly good rolling on the road too.

brassneck

Small Block 8 (33m??) here on the cross wheelset outside of racing season.

anagallis_arvensis

To be honest ill likely stay on the roads until it gets drier and then just bridleways, fire roads and farm tracks
    Anyhting else i will ride on my MTB

Some 30 or 32mm slicks then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some 30 or 32mm slicks then.

Or see the first reply. Ideal for that use case.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fast put capable gravel tyre 60-70% road 40-30% offroad’ is closed to new replies.