Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Farage v RNLI
  • mattyfez

That did cross my mind. But there is a demand among the great British public for either him, or someone just like him.

That’s a good point… At least garage is currently in the ‘useful idiot’ category whilst having no real power or influence. It could be worse if someone in government was spouting similar stuff.

Ahh crap! I hope Pritti Patell isn’t following this story.

lucky7500

To all those suddenly donating to the RNLI out of spite, please donate to your closest independent lifeboat service instead. There are more than you might think and they are in far more need of funds than the RNLI.

kimbers

To all those suddenly donating to the RNLI out of spite,

?????

kimbers

Yeah it is true.

but if youre saying that the EU is racist based on that vote

now that the UK has left (assuming everyone else voted the same) the motion would have passed

so by your own measure Brexit has made the EU less racist, because Farges view would no longer be in line with the majority of MEPs (however unpleasant the views of the far right in France/ Italy or the government in Hungary is)

ernielynch

but if youre saying that the EU is racist based on that vote

No of course I am not. I was pointing out the obvious irony of Nigel Farage’s comment being very much in tune with the views of many politicians in EU member states.

And that is that dark skinned people attempting to make dangerous sea voyages in overcrowded dinghies as they desperately try to escape the horrors of wars, either started by or sponsored by European countries, are not welcomed in Europe.

Of course the stark contrast in the case of countries such as Italy and Hungary is that many people who share Farage’s racist views are in government, whilst Farage despite his multiple attempts to convince British voters has always failed to win a seat in Westminster, never mind have a position in government.

In the case of Michel Barnier, whose indisputable racist comments could have come straight out of a Donald Trump speech, he was the EU chief brexit negotiator ffs.

Utterly shameful imo, as is any attempt by people who purport to be anti-racist to defend it.

kelvin

are not welcomed in Europe

There are those sentiments everywhere. But we don’t do our bit in the UK, we leave it to… in a very rough order… Germany, Hungary, Sweden, France, Italy, Switzerland… we don’t pull our weight here, and still arses like Farage complain at the tiny number of people who do seek asylum here.

There are countries in the EU who do even less than us, and many politicians in EU countries that are just like Farage, some even worse. That is all true. But how is it relevant to this thread?!? No one here is supporting people like Farage… whatever country they ply their hateful trade in.

dafydd17
    Free Member

Regarding the comments above that the rescue of seafarers should not rely on charities, but should be supported by the state. The snag with this is that, whereas RNLI have no axe to grind, and a clear mission, a state-funded operation would be used by the government in any way it chose. For example, would Border Force’s priority be saving lives or securing the borders? For a good example of how it might go, look at the US Coastguard, a military operation who may (and may not) decide to rescue you if they’re in the mood (and then sink your damaged boat with gunfire rather than tow it in!). (Hence the saying “better a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in the USCG”)

dannyh
    Free Member

Farage is an irrelevant shitstain in the unfortunate pants of British history.

If he was drowning, the RNLI would save his life without qualm. I wouldn’t. Mind you, most turds float anyway, so he’d probably be fine.

Cleaning up the resultant slick of fake tan and general brown ooze would take some time, though.

Gunz
    Free Member

As a serving member of the RN for 25 years I couldn’t imagine crossing the inky blackness of the Channel in a dinghy, even if I was an Olympic swimmer, let alone a parent carrying my child. Any individual or group who would abandon others in that situation is simply not a human being of any notable worth.

maccruiskeen

Regarding the comments above that the rescue of seafarers should not rely on charities,

Seafarers don’t ‘rely’ on charities, as they do in many sectors charities supplement existing provision – the origin and underlying motivation of the RNLI and other lifeboat organisations is coastal fishing communities looking after their own. They are part of the network of organisation providing protection and rescue for seafarers. These organsations have a pretty limited scope – Each one exists to serve and support the local inshore boating community – the volunteers’ own friends, families, neighbours and colleagues but they would of course come too the aid of anyone in the locality who needs their help – but their reach extends to anywhere you can get to in a small boat. If your container ship is sinking in Rockhall its not going to be a lifeboat crew that comes to your rescue.

We have the Coastguard, which now also operates what used to be the RAF’s search and rescue service, the Royal Navy,  The Fire Brigade has marine units. The Hazardous Area Response Teams fo the ambulance Service includes water rescue. Both the Military and Civilian Police services have marine units. But even though we have all those things…… people still volunteer to play their part and people happily support them and thats great.

thepodge
    Free Member

Problem is those people think “well they chose to cross, it’s their own fault if they get into trouble” so to them it’s justifiable.

I agree though, anyone leaving anyone in a potentially deadly situation is a crappy human being.

dyna-ti

Dont forget that its the people inspired by farages words that cause huge problems and difficulties, and while it is easy to label the turd a turd, a bit of a dick,someone to be laughed at and not taken seriously, he is an extremely dangerous influence, and as dangerous as individuals like Himmler or Goebbels.
    Couple with this is obvious lack of feeling or empathy for people in that situation, the horrors they have fled from, and his self serving interests. He is on par with any of the other psychopathic nutters in history.

Like many here I’ve sailed and sailed out into shipping channels in the Irish sea and the Channel over to France, in bigger yachts, with nav systems and radar and such devices for alerting your presence to those commercial ships, and been very very close to huge container ships at night(which is pitch f*****g black by the way 😯 ). I cannot fathom how terrifying it must be for anyone to set off on such a journey in a 8′ inflatable boat with more than likely a dodgy engine with their family and children, who will be mostly mercifully unaware of the danger they are in..
    You have to either be completely mad or very very desperate to even contemplate such an undertaking, and I’m more than sure the parents of families the RNLI here and other humanitarian groups around the world are saving from drowning.
    Watched a prog on these crossings over to Greece, and the rescuers were coastguard but mainly commercial fishermen, many of whom were in tears recalling stories of drownings. Commercial fishermen a world over are hard bast***s to a T, for them to break down on camera really rams it home the trouble this country and others have caused in the world that these terrible events are taking place.
    I would happily and bid a fond adieu to the likes of that prick Farage as i kick him off Beachy Head. He is worthless scum.

CountZero

I do think it’s odd that such a crucial service is entirely public-funded, with no money from the state.

What, and then have to deal with interfering ministers and civil servants with their own agendas and clever ideas about how the service should actually operate?
    No, it’s perfectly fine operating as it is. What you may not understand is that volunteering runs in families going back generations, mainly with direct connections to the sea, thus having a vested interest in the service operating to the benefit of everyone, irrespective of where they’re from. And that service is free.

To all those suddenly donating to the RNLI out of spite, please donate to your closest independent lifeboat service instead.

Read what I’ve just posted – the independents operate with the the RNLI, not against them; not every community can support an RNLI station, and not all of the independents operate with boats, because their location is often unsuitable for a boat, Burnham-on-Sea south of Bristol being a particular example, because of the huge tidal range the sea goes out a mile, and is out most of the day, so stupid emmets try to get to the sea and get stuck in thick mud, and sometimes tragically drown. Which is why they bought two hovercraft and cooperate with the RNLI. Everyone benefits, nobody loses out.
    I live seventy miles from B-o-S, but I always donate when I’m down there, and I always donate to the RNLI as well, as any sensible person should.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I don’t care about the rights & wrongs of this – all I care about is that toad faced ****t had the temerity to have a dig at some of the bravest men & women on this planet.

CountZero

This is why the RNLI shouldn’t have any government connection:
    https://greekreporter.com/2021/07/29/greece-coast-guard-bills-rescued/
    The same thing goes for mountain rescue teams as well, which I don’t think anyone has commented on.

kerley
    Free Member

Hateful human being. Far too many of those at the moment.

It is because they appeal to many people in the UK. They are saying/representing what they think. Just as the tories have over the last 50 years (they stand for selfishness, racism, bitterness)
    It is the high number of hateful people in the UK that are the cause.

MoreCashThanDash

What, and then have to deal with interfering ministers and civil servants with their own agendas and clever ideas about how the service should actually operate?
    No, it’s perfectly fine operating as it is.

Nor can it then be outsourced or privatised.

intheborders
    Free Member

Let’s look on the positives, I reckon that the RNLI had a decent surge in donations.

Mine won’t have been the only one.

peteimpreza

monthly donation just setup here

swamp_boy

If you gift aid the donation 52% of the extra must be from Brexit supporters’ tax – Result!

lucky7500

Bloody idiot. Read what I’ve just posted

What you posted is complete nonsense though. I live in a community which had to create an independent operation because the RNLI removed their service as part of a cost cutting exercise. The independent operation has no links to the RNLI although it is sometimes called in to action by the coastguard alongside RNLI boats where multiple boats are required. Hundreds of thousands of pounds were raised to purchase a boat to keep the vital service running and equally large amounts are required each year to keep operating. There are many other independent operations around Britain in exactly the same situation.

Please be careful to understand what you are talking about in the future before making personal attacks on people.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

To all those suddenly donating to the RNLI out of spite, please donate to your closest independent lifeboat service instead. There are more than you might think and they are in far more need of funds than the RNLI.

Probably true, but alas that won’t register as a protest/**** you against Farridge, so RNLI it is.

If you can persuade Farridge to pick a fight with any Independents then yes I’ll gladly donate to them too.

dannyh
    Free Member

Probably true, but alas that won’t register as a protest/**** you against Farridge, so RNLI it is.

If you can persuade Farridge to pick a fight with any Independents then yes I’ll gladly donate to them too.

£20 from me to RNLI too.

**** Nigel Farage.

#thenicepeoplearefightingback

piemonster

There are many other independent operations around Britain in exactly the same situation.

5 RNLI stations on my stretch of coast. 0 independent stations.

RNLI it is.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Paid my £20 anti **** tax yesterday.

kelvin

Marin
    Free Member

I’ll just ignore him and keep donating. Having called the RNLI just before climbing onto the wheelhouse roof of a ship that was sinking was a day I’d never want to repeat. Good on you RNLI.

wbo
    Free Member

Is there a list of the independents somewhere if someone chose to donate to such?

dannyh
    Free Member

5 RNLI stations on my stretch of coast. 0 independent stations.

I live near to the spot in the UK that is furthest from the coast.

But Nigel Farage is a ****.

alpin
    Free Member

If only history were to repeat itself.

ernielynch

Nigel Farage, descendant of Huguenot asylum seekers, brings out the best in the British.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/02/rightwing-attacks-rescues-uk-lifeboat-charity-fundraising-rnli-royal-national-lifeboat-institution

“We’ve had a better response to almost everything that we’ve done in 2021. At the end of the year, we’re going to have more members, we’re going to have more cash donors and more people who give to us via direct debit”

Well done Farage!

lister

I signed up for a direct debit this year due to that jumped-up turd in a stupid hat this year.

It’s nice to be reminded that the silent majority are often* nice and reasonable.

*but not always!

StirlingCrispin
    Poopscoop

Great to read. Most people, in the main, are decent minded individuals.👍

timbog160

Indeed. And 40 years since the Penlee disaster. Unbelievably brave people…

gowerboy

dangeourbrain

Maybe I’m naïve but surely if you want to stop this immigration it would make sense to go after the organised crime leaders arranging it, rather than leave people (and kids) drowning in the sea ffs.

Nah, you’d increase foreign aid and try and fix the fact that walking barefoot across two continents, risking drowning in the med and the Channel, being sold into slavery and a hundred other horrors sounds preferable to staying put.
    To fix the problem you need to get rid of the demand.

I agree that having a genuinely effective and properly funded aid programme is important as well as stoping supplying arms around the world, working on the debt crisis and promoting fair trade rather than rigged markets.

But we could also allow asylum seekers to apply in France and then give them passage to the UK while they wait for their application to be processed… as well as drop immigration, housing and wage policies that increase the likelihood of illegal immigration.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Farage v RNLI’ is closed to new replies.