Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Farage v RNLI
  • gobuchul
    Free Member
    Rich_s

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Nice when there’s an upside to these stories!

Maybe I’m naïve but surely if you want to stop this immigration it would make sense to go after the organised crime leaders arranging it, rather than leave people (and kids) drowning in the sea ffs.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’d pay good money to watch Farage drown in the English Channel.

thenorthwind

Have always thought it was a particularly worthy cause, and doubly so now. This has encouraged me to set up a regular donation too.

mattyfez

First Fishermen and now RNLI – Farrage really hates anything to do with boats, doesn’t he…

ElShalimo

Farage is just upset from the recent ship naming which left him with the new moniker Froggy MacFrogFace

RustySpanner

You’d THINK it would be planes, no?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Has this not happened before of something similar? Names and charities may be different but I definitely remember it happening before.

nickc

This is a total win for Farage, it’s exactly what he’s paid to do, and get coverage for. I will guarantee that the folk who support Farage think the RNLI should just rescue UK citizens, as totally stupid as that sounds.

matt_outandabout

First Fishermen and now RNLI – Farrage really hates anything to do with boats, doesn’t he…

I would have thought planes irked him more.

hooli

I just with the general public would ignore Farage/Piers Morgan/Katie Hopkins etc.

They make a career from being such a knob that people rush to read the latest knobbish thing they have written today, this gives them a value to publishers and advertisers and a career. They should be treated like badly behaved toddlers and completely ignored, they would soon go away.

poly
    Free Member

This is a total win for Farage, it’s exactly what he’s paid to do, and get coverage for. I will guarantee that the folk who support Farage think the RNLI should just rescue UK citizens, as totally stupid as that sounds.

No, I think they are probably fine with them rescuing French, Irish, Dutch citizens as well – just not the brown ones.

In fairness though part of Farage’s message was actually reasonable – how come we can afford £250M for a shiny new royal yacht, but don’t seem to have the border force resource to do this work and instead rely on members of the public volunteering for a charity to do the government’s job? His fight should not be with the RNLI though – its like complaining that Red Cross / St John Ambulance volunteers encourage people to get ridiculously drunk and take drugs at Glastonbury by providing a safety net.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I don’t he understands how it works.

The RNLI will only launch when they are requested to by the Coastguard. They don’t just decide to go themselves.

So his beef should be with the Coastguard responding to people in distress.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

For all that I detest Farage, Hopkins et al with every fibre of my being, I don’t think he’s stupid. I reserve that accolade for the mongrels who were shouting abuse at the RNLI volunteers recently, and the social media warriors stating that the RNLI were effectively people trafficking by bringing migrants to safety.
    They’ll all be the first against the wall when I come to power…
    The possible upside to the whole Farage-farce is that the donations to the RNLI will rise, as it should. I do think it’s odd that such a crucial service is entirely public-funded, with no money from the state.
    And then there’s the new £250,000,000 Royal yacht gin palace…

dissonance

And then there’s the new £250,000,000 Royal yacht gin palace…

National flagship or something instead of royal yacht. The royals apparently have said thanks but no thanks we dont want dragging into this stupidity.

Will lob a few quid their way. What was the last thing the right wing nuts kicked off over against the RNLI. Remember donating a bit a year or so back and switching my smile amazon donations to go to them.

poly
    Free Member

For all that I detest Farage, Hopkins et al with every fibre of my being, I don’t think he’s stupid. I reserve that accolade for the mongrels who were shouting abuse at the RNLI volunteers recently, and the social media warriors stating that the RNLI were effectively people trafficking by bringing migrants to safety.

He’s not stupid – but he is their ring leader! He also referred to the RNLI as a free taxi service for illegal immigrants!

I do think it’s odd that such a crucial service is entirely public-funded, with no money from the state.

They want it that way – if they were struggling for cash there would be government grants – but they enjoy the freedom to do what they want and essentially define the rules etc.

nickc

No, I think they are probably fine with them rescuing French, Irish, Dutch citizens as well – just not the brown ones.

I think you’d be surprised TBH, depressed as well probably…

stumpy01

I forgot about his plane crash.

I don’t often wish ill of people, but I wonder how different GB would be now if erm, things hadn’t gone so well??!

This is probably the sort of shit that my Father-in-Law would endorse. He’s an avid Daily Express reader & was moaning the other day that his 8% triple lock pension increase might not happen, while moaning in the next breath about nurses getting 3%……
    It was only a couple of months ago he was bemoaning the fact that he still couldn’t meet his fellow oldies for a catch-up & it was all because ‘you youngsters’ have weak immune systems. Completely missing the fact that the younger generation were effectively locked up for over a year to protect people like him & his Wife from popping their clogs…..

convert

Sadly he is (sort of) having an effect with the closed minded. My brexit voting, DM reading FiL (who has/had a small life, limited intelligence and is in every way the sort of moron I’d avoid if he wasn’t faaamliy) and I were having a conversation about boats as I’ve just bought an old dinghy. When I quipped that I better top up my RNLI donations before taking to the water he was straight out with a “I’ll never be donating to them again after what they are doing with the immigrants”.

Only ‘sort of’ having an effect because I’m pretty certain he has never in his life given money to the RNLI. These people are out there – they look at the same footage as me and when I see poor vulnerable and in peril fellow humans they see scum. It’s very very sad.

edit – stumpy – are you my brother in law?

ernielynch

Yup. Couldn’t agree more.

Ironically Farage’s attitude is very much in line with the EU’s.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-parliament-refugees-migrants-deaths-search-rescue-vote-mediterranean-a9171401.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/migrant-crisis-eu-rescue-boat-rescue-hungary-italy-a8844001.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-parliament-refugees-migrants-deaths-search-rescue-vote-mediterranean-a9171401.html

Racists come in many shades.

Klunk
    Free Member

the foghorn of ignorance.

monkeyboyjc

The fact that I must have missed hours of GCSE geography lessons (still passed) because my excellent geography teacher was a RNLI volunteer gets my money every time… The whole Farage fiasco is a bonus. Thanks @HoratioHufnagel for the link 👍

MoreCashThanDash

I don’t often wish ill of people, but I wonder how different GB would be now if erm, things hadn’t gone so well??!

Truly one of those “what if” moments in history.

Klunk
    Free Member

What happened to the favourite gammon retort of “All lives Matter” ?

Blackflag
    Free Member

Hateful human being. Far too many of those at the moment.

monkeyboyjc

The fact that I must have missed hours of GCSE geography lessons (still passed) because my excellent geography teacher was a RNLI volunteer gets my money every time… The whole Farage fiasco is a bonus. Thanks @HoratioHufnagel for the link 👍

owenh

Has this not happened before of something similar? Names and charities may be different but I definitely remember it happening before.

Similar thing recently was when the Daily Mail tried to drum up hate for the RNLI funding lifesaving & water safety in them there forin countries. Cant remember if Farage got involved as well (probably). Result was same as this time: an increase in donations to RNLI.

Klunk
    Free Member

perhaps somebody should pay for a poster campaign “Breaking Point” over a picture of the the poor syrian lad lying face down on a Turkish beach.

kimbers

Ironically Farage’s attitude is very much in line with the EU’s.

Not really true is it

Vote was only narrowly lost and you’d easily argue that that’s a result of farages poisonous influence, BXP voted for against it
    Would the vote have passed now the BXP no longer in EU Parliament? (especially as the 4 tory MEPs that abstained could have swung it too)
    You could say that on that basis the EU would be less racist now we’ve left

And Patels plans go further

https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/06/migrants-to-be-turned-away-at-sea-with-priti-patels-new-asylum-laws-14884236/

Farage really is the worst of us

martinhutch

That did cross my mind. But there is a demand among the great British public for either him, or someone just like him. I’m sure some other frogfaced man-of-the-people-tells-it-to-you-straight arsehole would have crawled out to replace him.

ernielynch

Not really true is it

Yeah it is true. In many EU countries, such as France, Italy, and Hungary, Farage’s racist views would be seen as fairly moderate when compared to other leading politicians.

If Nigel Farage was to talk about the link between immigration and terrorist networks that infiltrate migrational flows then he would quite rightly be denounced as a racist.

And yet that is exactly what the former EU chief negotiator Michele Barnier has said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/france-suspend-immigration-ban-barnier-b1845533.html

The call for a suspension of non European immigration is racism totally indistinguishable from Donald Trump’s, (or Nigel Farage’s) racism.

I find all racism utterly repugnant and nauseating, but what I find particularly nauseating is when it is combined with breathtaking levels of hypocrisy.

Trump and Farage would have been denounced without a moment’s hesitation for making those comments in that link, but a totally different attitude is taken when they are made by a politician who supports the EU.

Shameful.

somafunk

I would have thought planes irked him more.

That was a sad day indeed, things could’ve turned out so different.

kelvin

In many EU countries, such as France, Italy, and Hungary, Farage’s racist views would be seen as fairly moderate when compared to other leading politicians.

Look Earnie, we know there are far right rabble rousers all over Europe (and the world). Could you just let us have our own little go at Farage without one of your odd little whataboutery talking downs about the Evil EU on our doorstep? Thanks. An earnest defence of Farage from you is welcome if that’s really what you want to do… go ahead and be direct about it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Maybe I’m naïve but surely if you want to stop this immigration it would make sense to go after the organised crime leaders arranging it, rather than leave people (and kids) drowning in the sea ffs.

Nah, you’d increase foreign aid and try and fix the fact that walking barefoot across two continents, risking drowning in the med and the Channel, being sold into slavery and a hundred other horrors sounds preferable to staying put.
    To fix the problem you need to get rid of the demand.

footflaps

“I’ll never be donating to them again after what they are doing with the immigrants”.

What you’ll find is most of the people who come out with that have never donated to anything in their lives, they’re just small minded selfish idiots.

By definition, those who do actually donate to charities are capable of thinking and caring about other people.

timbog160

Not a big donater, but have just donated. They do great work, though always seem well funded. Previously only ever stuck a quid in the plastic lifeboat at Seahouses or Barmouth.

franksinatra

What was the last thing the right wing nuts kicked off over against the RNLI. Remember donating a bit a year or so back and switching my smile amazon donations to go to them.

The RNLI were funding some small scale drowning prevention projects overseas. All of the Daily Mail readers stopped their imaginary monthly donations in protest.

kelvin

I nearly linked to the original DailyMail story. It’s out there if you want it.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/16/rnli-donations-surge-tory-criticism-work-overseas-lifeboat-charity

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Farage v RNLI’ is closed to new replies.