Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,908 total)
  • F1 2020 (spoilers abound)
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Blimey, you take your eye off the F1 news for 48 hours and it all happens…

Ricciardo to Ferrari would be a good fit next to Leclerc I think, Danny has been around in F1 for a decade and is up for a shot at the title. Am not surprised to see Sainz in the mix, his performance in Brazil last year was truly exceptional.

I’d be extremely surprised to see a forty year old Alonso step into a Ferrari alongside Leclerc…

mashr

Danny has been around in F1 for a decade and is up for a shot at the title

He’d be no.2 to the new golden boy, not a sniff of a title. Anyway you’re a little late to the party, looks like Sainz has the seat

hols2
    Free Member

This article sums up why I can’t get excited about e-racing:
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dzmgn/indycar-iracing-controversy-pagenaud-norris-incident

Bez

Yeah, I don’t like the F1 virtual races either because it’s half celebrity guests. If they’d made a proper mini-series with a fixed set of F1/2/3 drivers competing for an actual championship—with all of the implications of penalties etc that it entails—then I think I could get into it.

Most of all, though, it sounds like a lot of Indycar drivers are total cocks.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

F1 TV is free for a month again with this code 7F01F1TV2200

Kato

Excellent

wardee
    Free Member

That iracing sounds like Vettel would fit right in now he has some spare time.

Bez

😂

the-muffin-man

If it is Sainz I feel kind of sad about that. He’s basically admitting that at 25 he’s happy to be a Barrichello/Bottas as Ferrari revert to type.

hols2
    Free Member

He’s basically admitting that at 25 he’s happy to be a Barrichello/Bottas as Ferrari revert to type.

I don’t see it like that. Based on last year, I think that if Sainz can outqualify Leclerc and outrace him, Ferrari will let him race. Leclerc wasn’t hired as a lead driver, he just made Vettel look ordinary and Ferrari let him. For Sainz, this is his big chance to show that he can hold his own against top drivers in a decent car. He’s not admitting anything.

dannybgoode

Rumour mill has it that Mercedes are considering a Vettel/Hamilton partnership. Be a brave move but would finally settle the ‘best of a generation’ argument if they were in equal cars.

Personally I think Hamilton would hand Vettel’s arse to him on a plate and Vettel would just moan.

hols2
    Free Member

Another rumour has it that Vettel has already signed for Renault and Ricciardo has already signed for McLaren. However, I would like to see Hamilton and Vettel race the same car, I agree that Hamilton would give Vettel a beatdown. Vettel can be very fast when the car suits him, so it would be good to actually see how the two compared.

the-muffin-man

If Sainz was top-drawer he’d have been in a Red Bull by now. There’s been enough comings and goings there these last few years, but they’ve passed him over.

hols2
    Free Member

I think Red Bull were a bit disappointed at losing him. At the time, they had Ricciardo and Verstappen, so losing Sainz didn’t seem like such a big deal. They were shocked when Ricciardo left and struggled to find a replacement, hence putting Hartley back into the Toro Rosso. Sainz put in a truly impressive season last year in the McLaren, I think he’s widely seen as a top level driver who would win races if given a decent car.

retro83
    Free Member

the-muffin-man
    Subscriber

If it is Sainz I feel kind of sad about that. He’s basically admitting that at 25 he’s happy to be a Barrichello/Bottas as Ferrari revert to type.

I agree. Thing is though, I think it’s sort-of a win whatever happens really.

If he gets beaten Charles, people will say that Charles had first dibs on strategy, #1 status in the team etc.

If he matches or beats Charles, he looks like a hero.

The worst that can happen is either he gets absolutely trounced or he gets involved in a lot of scraps with Charles either of which will limit his future opportunities at other teams.

jairaj

Wowza this is exciting news! I wasn’t Seb’s biggest fan but did respect him as driver and his achievements wining multiple world titles. But in recent years he just hasn’t been performing and looks like he cant be arsed, so I’m glad he is moving on and making space for someone with a bit more hunger and deserves the drive more. I think its time for Seb to step down from F1 totally and stop using up a space a younger driver could have.

I think Sainz to Ferrari will be good for him, they will have a faster car than Mac so he should get more points and podiums than if he was with Mac.

I don’t think Ferrari have put everything behind Charles like Red Bull have with Max, Red Bull are looking more like Max Vestappen Racing than Red Bull Racing. Ferrari certainly see Charles as a future team leader and world champ but I don’t think they are all or nothing behind Charles. I think if Sainz is on pace he will be given a reasonably equal opportunity. For sure in a year or two when Charles has fully matured there will be some awkward moments if Sainz is not the obvious number 1 and will be asked to take the back seat. But I think a 2 year contract at Ferrari would do Sainz good.

retro83
    Free Member

I don’t think Ferrari have put everything behind Charles like Red Bull have with Max

Nonetheless they gave him a 5 year contract!

Kryton57

Personally I think Hamilton would hand Vettel’s arse to him on a plate and Vettel would just moan.

No change there then.   I think this would be Hamilton V Alonso 2 and Mercedes wouldn’t want that disruption in the team.

On the one hand I don’t like Vettel’s arrogant child like antics, but on the other hand F1 loses a bit more entertainment.  Overall I’m glad he’s going.

dannybgoode

As per Marko’s comments on Vettel being a non-starter for Red Bull there are not many teams that could afford Vettel and money always plays a part. With that in mind, Merc could afford him and how much would Ferrari be willing to wave at LH.

So here’s a punt – As we are for this season and LH takes it tying with Schumacher on 7. Ferrari then wave $$$$$$ at him with the enticing prospect of taking 8 WC’s and with 3 different constructors. That would close out the GOAT, certainly of the ‘modern era’ on just about any measure you care to look at.

hols2
    Free Member

LH is not going to Ferrari. He never was. He’s happy at Merc, but he’s probably also happy using this as leverage to get more money out of them.

Bez

If Hamilton goes to another new team before retiring the only one I can see is Aston Martin.

Vettel won’t be anywhere next year, none of the options make sense if you ask me, certainly for him and in most cases also for any team which might take him. I can understand Renault wanting him, but if they were looking to invest his experience into their car development then starting in 2021 would surely be too late.

I think Sainz would be making a mistake to go to Ferrari, personally, but it’s easy to see why he might bite.

If Ricciardo goes to Ferrari then I think it makes good sense for everyone.

But since when was that a factor 🙂

hols2
    Free Member

BBC seem to think it’s all signed that Sainz goes to Ferrari, DR to McLaren.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52627900

reluctantjumper

Sainz to Ferrari could work as him and LeClerc get on well. Their driving styles are relatively similar too so that should help with the development direction. It all hinges, as always, upon the political structure at Ferrari and somehow I just don’t think it can handle two drivers of a similar level trading results.
    Ricciardo to McLaren is a good move for him, but then anywhere other than Renault is good. Renault are just not showing any signs of moving up from where they are so no hope of wins, let alone a WDC challenge.

Where does Vettel go? Hopefully off to pastures new or at best to Alfa to play with Kimi again.

thepurist

Where does Vettel go?

Sky?

hols2
    Free Member

Where does Vettel go?

Starts with the letter R.

Twodogs

Ferrari have identified Sainz as the ideal support driver for Charles Leclerc, whose starring performances in his first season with the team last year undermined Vettel’s status and precipitated his departure when he was not prepared to accept diminished contractual terms.

Ferrari will envisage Sainz in the type of back-up role Valtteri Bottas plays to Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes – quick enough to be close to him and engage in battle with other front-runners but not the team leader.

From the BBC article…as someone said earlier, Sainz is giving up on his ambitions

Bez

Interesting. I guess we’ll have to see how Ferrari handle two emerging superstar drivers (and how Sainz handles whatever he’s walking into) and whether McLaren can get into a top-tier position before Ricciardo goes off the boil.

Open seat at Renault, then. I wonder whether the disruption this year is going to affect whether any of their juniors can get enough points for a superlicence in 2020; if not then maybe Zhou is in with a shout. Hopefully we won’t have to endure the misery of seeing Vettel or Alonso dry-humping the last embers of their F1 careers further into mediocrity. So, who else? Can’t see Norris moving. Albon? Wouldn’t put any money on it. The Alpha Tauri or Haas drivers? Three of those, nah, but Gasly seems a very plausible candidate. Maybe the most likely option? Although I’d say Russell to Mercedes looks a good bet, in which case Bottas will be available. Might be a decent partner to Ocon…

retro83
    Free Member

Ric confirmed at Mclaren

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52661201

boomerlives
    Free Member

If Sainz was top-drawer he’d have been in a Red Bull by now

Nah, the one-eyed cuckoo who calls the shots there can’t see further than Max; nothing else matters.

It’ll be interesting next year. New blood with 2 young drivers at Ferrari is a significant deviation from the last 20 years, if not longer. It’s refreshing.

LH will still cream them both…

swavis

I’m chuffed to see DC at McLaren, I think it’s a good move for him.

hols2
    Free Member

Doesn’t imply much confidence in Renault, I guess DR has seen how effective Red Bull are at developing a car and decided that Renault just don’t have what it takes to even beat a McLaren with a customer Merc engine. McLaren have a new wind tunnel in the works, so that should be a big help for them with the new rules coming in.

Now there’s speculation that Alonso is going to go back to Renault. That should be the kiss of death for them.

the-muffin-man

Could be some interesting team dynamics for this season (if it happens!) – three drivers giving the middle finger to the teams they are in before a wheel has turned in anger. 🙂

hols2
    Free Member

I think Sainz and Ricciardo will be ok, they will want to beat their teammates, but won’t want to burn bridges. I suspect Vettel might end up like Damon Hill, just not seeing the point of making a proper effort, or might want to show he’s still a force to be reckoned with and turn it into a crash-fest.

retro83
    Free Member

Sainz officially confirmed at Ferrari

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52661201

thepurist

I’m chuffed to see DC at McLaren, I think it’s a good move for him.

Holy 1996 Batman! He’s still got no chance against Mika though… 😀

Ricciardo and Norris at McLaren would never have been allowed in Ron’s day – way too much fun for the team to handle. And with Merc engines I think they could make a massive step, certainly a better prospect than Renault are looking at the moment.

Sainz at Ferrari – very few drivers in his position would resist the lure of driving for them, regardless of who their team mate. Perhaps the emergence of LeClerc shows that Binotto can handle a more equal treatment of his drivers than they have done in the past – certainly hope so for Sainz’s sake.

Bez

Doesn’t imply much confidence in Renault

Quite. I imagine Cyril’s going be turning the air très bleu for a while.

Now there’s speculation that Alonso is going to go back to Renault. That should be the kiss of death for them.

That would just be the most appallingly spectacular train wreck… I reckon Netflix would pay Alonso’s salary just to get it all on camera.

Can’t see it happening, though. Surely no-one’s that stupid. Surely…?

retro83
    Free Member

Bez
    Subscriber

Ah yeah, sounds like Cyril’s gone full passive-aggressive 😂

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.unity-and-commitment-are-critical-say-renault-as-ricciardo-split-announced.2Lcj1J7kTz0c85fGXG3KBC.html

Cyril must be under a metric shit-tonne of pressure from Renault to deliver some results.

There was an interesting bit on Missed Apex podcast recently where Matt Carter (the principle of Lotus) said he’d spent three years paring down the staff to get costs under control and get them working efficiently. Then Cyril turns up and the first thing he does is add another 250 members of staff because ‘that’s where Mercedes and RedBull are’. He didn’t even have any particular place to put the staff, just ADD MOAR!!1

Yet the results aren’t too different.

2012 Lotus 4th
    2013 Lotus 4th
    2014 Lotus 8th
    2015 Lotus 6th
    2016 RS 9th
    2017 RS 6th
    2018 RS 4th
    2019 RS 5th

edit: episode’s here if anyone’s interested

PJM1974
    Free Member

Ricciardo and Norris at McLaren would never have been allowed in Ron’s day – way too much fun for the team to handle.

McLaren hi-jinks with Senna and Berger.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Hopefully we won’t have to endure the misery of seeing Vettel or Alonso dry-humping the last embers of their F1 careers further into mediocrity.

Love it. I think Ferrari will go off the boil soon, so all moot. I’d love to see McLaren and DR back on song/podium though.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,908 total)

The topic ‘F1 2020 (spoilers abound)’ is closed to new replies.