Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,908 total)
  • F1 2020 (spoilers abound)
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

It is most likely it will be cancelled though – they will struggle to reschedule it now.

Had the same thoughts myself. Chuck a bit of the usual wet weather in there and it can make for a great race.

With regards to Hamilton, none of the other drivers seem to get anywhere near the amount of grief he gets online. As mentioned above, he’s the kind of guy that wears his heart on his sleeve but can often appear petulant when things aren’t going his way which the haters seem to thrive off.

It doesn’t appear to do him any harm, he’s one of the best when it comes to turning a negative into a positive.

reluctantjumper

If the Chinese round is all but dead what about the new Vietnam round? They’re very close and I think a lot of the travel hubs pass through places that serve China regularly.

dannybgoode

Listen to the James Allison interview on the podcast where he talks about when he first met Lewis and how he told him he was a ****er. The conversation he relays that they subsequently had in the cafeteria shows what an intelligent and caring guy Lewis actually is. It’s genuinely touching.

Here’s a transcript after James apologised for saying it.

—-
    He also told me he was sorry about my wife, who had died six or eight months earlier and it caught me by surprise. It is not what you expect from an F1 driver.

He took the conversation on and said that he hoped I found some way of living with it, and in good time I will find happiness again.

That was a lovely thing to say. I said ‘I hope so too, but that happy future would involve me talking to a girl and I am absolutely rubbish at that’.

“Lewis looked at me and smiled and said, ‘well, probably just don’t call them f***ers!'”
    —-

At the British GP in 2018 or 19 (can’t remember which) when it was roasting hot LH bought a shit load of ice creams and personally handed them out to all the marshals.

There guy is an absolute legend imo and probably the fairest fighting of all the true modern multiple world champions.

reluctantjumper

That podcast is a very good one, the whole series of On The Grid are good really!

hols2
    Free Member

Hamilton was always sensational from the driving perspective. I think part of the problem is that he has come across as a bit childish at times out of the car, but he seems to have grown out of that. Having said that, some of the hate from Alonso fans back after their McLaren debacle was blatantly racist and I always thought less of Alonso for not coming out and telling his fans to knock it off.

shermer75
    Free Member

Why do Red Bull get to do a 100km of ‘private testing’? I thought the amount of testing you were allowed to do was strictly regulated by the FIA?

Red Bull: Max Verstappen praises positive test run at Silverstone – https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51447108

shermer75
    Free Member

There guy is an absolute legend imo and probably the fairest fighting of all the true modern multiple world champions.

Agreed!

hols2
    Free Member

Why do Red Bull get to do a 100km of ‘private testing’?

I thought all the teams are allowed to do shakedown runs under strictly limited conditions, so it’s not a performance test, it’s just to check that all the systems work before real testing begins.

the-muffin-man

Kryton57

So “narrow” seems to be this years popular theme?

hols2
    Free Member

As Merc showed last year, you don’t know what the car is really going to look like until the end of pre-season testing. They’ll keep anything innovative hidden as long as they can.

the-muffin-man
    retro83
    Free Member

“gp2 driver, gp2 driver!”

hols2
    Free Member

He still has other avenues if he wants to try for the Triple Crown.

null

the-muffin-man

I do like McLaren’s colour scheme – very careful spell checking is needed when typing the name of their new sponsor though!…

First pictures: McLaren reveals its new F1 car for 2020

mashr

ignore, has forgotten they finally went back to orange, sorry, papaya

johndoh
    Free Member

If the Chinese round is all but dead what about the new Vietnam round? They’re very close and I think a lot of the travel hubs pass through places that serve China regularly.

The rumours are it is going to be cancelled too although the BBC is reporting that it *will* be going ahead.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That McLaren looks looooong, especially around the airbox. I hope that it’ll deliver more podiums this year and not be a complete disaster.

retro83
    Free Member

longcar is loooooong

dannybgoode

That McLaren looks looooong, especially around the airbox.

Apparently most F1 cars these days are of a similar dimension (length and width, not height of course) as an S Class Merc!

simondbarnes

Why do Red Bull get to do a 100km of ‘private testing’? I thought the amount of testing you were allowed to do was strictly regulated by the FIA?

All teams get 2 filming days per season. 100km max, demonstration spec tyres only.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Apparently most F1 cars these days are of a similar dimension (length and width, not height of course) as an S Class Merc!

Packaging the power unit and battery isn’t easy, but the cars look comedic. From what I’ve seen of the 2021 rules, the cars look better proportioned, but the length is only fractionally shorter. Bigger wheels will help balance the proportions out, but the cars will still be huge.

shermer75
    Free Member

“gp2 driver, gp2 driver!”

Haha!

thepurist

Yeah they’ve really shaken up the livery this year…  new Merc in ‘looking like old Merc’ shocker.

the-muffin-man

Yep – it was going to be a year for little change.

They can spend as much as they like on next years car this year – and then the budget cap comes into force. So the big spenders will be focusing on that.

hols2
    Free Member

I think what will be interesting is seeing who blinks first and stops developing this year’s car in order to focus on next year. If one of the big three isn’t right on the pace from the start, I guess they’ll just settle for third place this year and put all their effort into next year.

escrs
    Free Member

Merc will throw everything they have at this year’s cars (whilst doing the same for next year’s car) and Hamilton will push even more

Merc want/need to win this year so they can say they won every championship in the hybrid era

Lewis will want to match Schumacher’s record this year as he knows its highly likely he will if things go his way (no major accidents/mechanicals etc…)

Next year with new rules and new cars means there is less chance of Hamilton matching or even beating Schumacher’s record and Merc have no idea how other teams car’s will compare to their own

thepurist

Merc want/need to win this year so they can say they won every championship in the hybrid era

The PUs aren’t really changing though so the ‘hybrid era’ will run on past the end of this year –  but I guess we look back at things like the DFV era, the turbo era etc so Merc would be able to claim on a clean sweep of the current regs, whatever they’re called.

I’d expect the next big change in PU formula will be to reduce the size of the ICU but increase the electric part so they’d still stay hybrid.  AIUI Formula E has got the ‘fully electric formula’ exclusivity from the FIA for quite a while so F1 can’t go all electric in the short/mid term.  As FE gets quicker that might become an issue for them but they’ve got a loooong way to go.

dannybgoode

The PUs aren’t really changing though so the ‘hybrid era’ will run on past the end of this year – but I guess we look back at things like the DFV era, the turbo era etc so Merc would be able to claim on a clean sweep of the current regs, whatever they’re called.

It’s two reasonably significant aero rule changes they have been through already so they’ve done astonishingly well. But, yes it’s probably going to be looked upon as a single ‘era’.

Really glad they’ve kept Niki’s red Mercedes star on the livery as well although I guess that will always be there just as Senna’s S will always be on the Williams.

thepurist

New Williams – like the livery but just hope they get a bit more pace this year.

the-muffin-man

Nice livery, but the aero on the front end looks very basic compared to the top teams. But if they manage to get into Q2 a few times this year it will be an improvement.

hols2
    Free Member

Thing with Williams is that it can hardly get worse than last year so I expect a big improvement. Unfortunately, I’ve been saying that for several years now.

retro83
    Free Member

Basic aero is fine if it means they can understand the car and develop it. Not unusual to have a completely different car at testing anyway.

Livery looks great 👍

PJM1974
    Free Member

Nice livery, but the aero on the front end looks very basic compared to the top teams.

That’s not unusual in a press launch, quite a few of the cars that we’ve already seen aren’t the finished article in terms of aero packaging. However, I don’t believe that Williams are going to be the surprise of the season – the issues that have sent them to the back of the grid aren’t going away soon.

Twodogs

the issues that have sent them to the back of the grid aren’t going away soon.

Tbf, she might, when Frank finally realises she’s out of her depth

hols2
    Free Member

Williams basically said that they have just updated last year’s car instead of starting from scratch. The problem last year wasn’t just that the car sucked, it was that they didn’t understand why. If they’ve managed to understand the problem, they should be able to improve massively. If not, I dread to think how far off the pace they will be.

thepurist

If they’ve managed to understand the problem, they should be able to improve massively.

Well so far they’ve got a car to Barcelona and it’s running on track today – last year they were late to the testing party so it’s positive so far.

oomidamon
    Daffy

McLaren seem to have gone with the same aero strategy as Ferrari WRT to the front wing design- interesting.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,908 total)

The topic ‘F1 2020 (spoilers abound)’ is closed to new replies.