Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Excessive Damage charges after Hiring Bike for a summer
  • frepster
    Free Member

A friend hired a road bike for the triathalon season, I didnt think it was the best deal but she could not afford to buy one.

As the ‘season’ has ended, its gone back, she got the below email this morning with the following charges applied. The costs seems a bit excessive to me especially the paint chips which feel like they should be just part of normal wear and tear which are allowed. The bike probably only did ~250 miles the whole time she had it and it wasnt crashed. the bar tape was torn upon receipt although she never reported it.
    Any thoughts?

– Excessive buckle of the rear wheel £20

– Buckle front wheel £15

– Tear in bar tape £12.99

– Two chips in frame £30

– Bottle cage bolts missing £1.50

– Shifters scratched £15

– Total £94.49

weeksy

Seems reasonable… but a little excessive…

highclimber
    Free Member

How many bolts are in the bottle cage and why does it cost £1.50 to replace them? I think they are trying it on. what did they expect – someone to hire a bike and not use it?

glupton1976
    Free Member

They are ripping the arse out of it.

But then again, i’m not convinced by the whole triathlete not crashing thing…

GrahamS

– Dirty tyres: £30
    – Oil on chain: £10
    – Air missing form inner tubes: £15

Seems a bit of a piss-take to me – they must expect some degree of normal wear and tear.

frepster
    Free Member

Ive written to them to define what is a fair ammount of wear and tear.

She even found the bottle cage bolts last week and phoned them up and then told her dont worry we dont need them!

hora
    Free Member

In isolation those charges seem fine/understandable. If someone put two chips in your road frame.

Would you just charge them £30? I’d want a heck of a lot more.

Same with shifters.

In total it seems alot but tbh in isolation those charges are fair.

chief9000
    Free Member

Hmmm seems a little strange to me. I’m not sure how they quantify the cost of the damage. Did she receive a list of repair costs prior to hire? if not I think they should have made it clear that it would cost 15 nicker per chip.

I would be asking what the charges are for and then if the repairs are going to be made. But i’m sure there is someone on here who is more complaint savvy than me.

One thing I would add or rather ask is: Did she really look after the bike? maybe they have levied these charges as they are pissed off.

I have had one of my bikes for 10 years and there are no chips on the paint, brakes are not scratched and wheels are not buckled even after thousands of miles.

I am wondering how she was riding to mash it up like that over 250?

parkesie
    Free Member

Bar tape really? Infact that whole list is ripping the piss.

patriotpro
    Free Member

The price of hire should cover wear and tear. End of.

I take it they have your mate’s cc details?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Where did she hire the bike from?

Sounds like a con to me.

Take a wheel to your LBS to get it straightened, its usually between £5 and £10.

Bolt’s cost a pittance, as would bar tape at trade price.

I’m not sure how they can put a price on scratches, this is surely wear and tear.

I’d tell em to **** off, then go and put their windows through.

frepster
    Free Member

It wsa the only new bike she has ever had so she was pretty careful riding it, she only used it to train on so no commuting or anything, it was never locked up.

It certainly looked pretty decent to me when she sent it back, she cleaned it but not as much as perhaps I would of.

As for the wheels, they were true enough, the brakes didnt rub and werent bad enough for me to think I better true them.

scotroutes

How much did it cost to hire the bike in the first place?

frepster
    Free Member

£100 + delivery I think

zilog6128

Don’t really think OP has provided enough details to comment really. How much was the hire of the bike, how long for, was it an expensive/cheap bike, was it mint in the first place (apart from the bar tape!), just how bad were these scratches/chips, etc.

Certainly putting deep scratches on a pair of Dura Ace STIs would affect their s/h value by way more than £15 for example, I wouldn’t consider that normal wear and tear as you can only really damage them with an off or by carelessness. Chips in the frame I would class as wear and tear due to stones, etc.

More to the point, who can afford a whole season of triathlons but not a road bike, given how many 0% deals there are these days?! 🙂

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Bar tape is an expandable piece of kit, and if you’re goin to hire out a bike you understand that from some of the money made, you will have to change/repair/replace bits and bobs. Take the wheels to lbs, have both trued for a tenner, buy some cheap bar tape for a fiver, stick the bolts back in, pay the £15 for the scratched shifter (presumably from leaning against a wall) and then tell them to bore off for the paint chips.

frepster
    Free Member

You pay for the entire bike in advance and then get it back less the £100 charge at the end of the season.

cp

maybe put one back at them saying something like scratches are wear and tear, you’ve already discussed the bolts and they didn’t want them & the wheels aren’t fit for purpose if they buckle during the use it’s had. As such you don’t see it as fit for purpose and would like your rental charge back.

frepster
    Free Member

Bikes already been sent back so no option to get it fixed else where.

It was all done mail order

scotroutes

See – I think that’s pretty cheap. That doesn’t mean the shop is right to load up any damage costs, but maybe they need to re-evaluate their charges so that the costs of minor wear are recouped through the hire charge.

If it’s actually cost her £200 for the whole season, I think she got a good deal.

wwaswas

£100 + delivery I think

That sounds pretty cheap.

I reckon the price in a shop would have gone down by more than that during the hire period even if it had just sat there on display as it’s ‘last years model’

njee20
    Free Member

You pay for the entire bike in advance and then get it back less the £100 charge at the end of the season.

So she did have the money for a bike 😕

yorlin
    Free Member

Tell your friend to point out the chips were already there. And the rip – ALWAYS document that sort of thing when you’re renting stuff, at the time and email/mail the pics to them.

Rented a car in cornwall a few years back from a small family firm – it had a dent in the boot that I was ‘not to worry about’ but I took pics etc anyway. On returning car they were VERY upset at the damage 😆 until I pointed out and provided the pictures I’d taken. Then they tried to charge me for extra petrol when I had more in then when I got it.

Anyway the point is, they will try and charge extra for stuff like that, as a matter of course, get your friend to dispute it all and she’ll probably get the charges taken off.

cp

Oooof, 100 is very very cheap. not surprised there are extra charges for not coming back exactly as it left. be interesting to see what the original terms are.

aracer
    Free Member

the wheels aren’t fit for purpose if they buckle during the use it’s had

😆

cp

I wasn’t being serious FTR!

Edit – well, I was, but in a fascicous reply to the hire co way. Now more of the story is coming out, i’m not at all surprised at the charges and it all seems quite reasonable.

cp

I imagine the original terms were along the lines of ‘you buy a bike, we guarantee to buy it back less £100 if it comes back in showroom condition, else we’ll charge you for any damage’.

frepster
    Free Member

Ive jut checked, it was £125 for 4 months on a £599 bike so not that cheap plus £25 total delivery charges.
    This their T&C ref wear and tear.

18.The bike must be returned cleaned and in good condition, bearing in mind reasonable ‘wear and tear’. The bike must be returned with no punctures. A TRI UK bike mechanic will check the bike on its return; any damage that is not reasonable ‘wear and tear’ will be charged for and will incur a repair fee and labour charge, i.e. you will be charged for the cleaning of the bike if it is returned dirty, and damage will be charged accordingly.

cp

it was £125 for 4 months on a £599 bike so not that cheap

No not that cheap, it’s mega bloody cheap. Add up 4 months worth of day-rentals and it’ll come to a darn site more than that for a similar bike.

cp

I can imagine wear and tear being tyre/drivetrain and grubby bar tape related.

scratches & chips on a road bike are caused by neglect/carelessness/crashes ultimately so would be out of wear and tear.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

shop I used to work in
    hire rate on ‘nice’ bikes i.e. £1500 + (Test bikes essentially)

£30 a day
    £60 weekend (3 night)
    £90 week

Test bikes though .. you got it all back if you purchased to similar value, though did use them as hire bikes too.

Only held deposit on – non consumable parts, loss, theft, irreparable damage i.e. bent frame, broken mech,

Chips, punctures, grips/tape, cables, gear indexing, brake bleeding (if applicable), 1st set of brake pads were all included in the price.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

125 quid for 4 months IS cheap. You could easily wear out a set of tyres in that time, which would be 30-50 quid or so just for that.

On Your Bike charge 50 quid for 4 days..
    http://www.onyourbike.com/product/9952-London-Trek-Standard-Road-Bike-Rental-4-days-%28Fri-Mon%29.php

walleater

I don’t know about in the UK but in Vancouver rentals start from around $35.00 for a cheap singlespeed cruiser, to around $100 for a DH bike, so whichever way you look at it, 125UKP for unlimited riding for 4 months is bloody cheap!

frepster
    Free Member

Its not really a fair comparisson is it though, a seasons rental compared to a days rental charge,

frepster
    Free Member

She also barely used the thing which would be obvious to anyone who looked at the bike

scotroutes

TBF, you’d expect a DH bike (or any MTB) to come back with a bit more damage than a road bike, so the rental costs would reflect that.

In this case, we need to ask what would a “slightly-soiled” £600 road bike would be worth after 4 months?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tri UK….

aracer
    Free Member

On Your Bike charge 50 quid for 4 days..

£75 for a week, on a bike of about the same value as the one hired by the OP’s friend.

aracer
    Free Member

She also barely used the thing which would be obvious to anyone who looked at the bike

So are there chips in the paint, buckled wheels, scratched shifters? If not, then I’d complain about them charging for non-existent damage, otherwise I doubt most people would think “barely used”.

scotroutes

The hire fee for each hire bike is £125.00 for the whole season (£150.00 if collected in-store, please purchase online & we will notify when your hire is ready to collect) (1st February 2013 – 30th August 2013) + £450.00 deposit.

7 months for that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Excessive Damage charges after Hiring Bike for a summer’ is closed to new replies.