Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Excessive Damage charges after Hiring Bike for a summer
  • tomhoward

Just been to whinlatter, admittedly the bikes were more expensive, but they were £30 for 3 hours.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It seems reasnoble if you think

£600 bike, if they sold it at the end of the year off the shop floor maybe worth £400? Second hand maybe £300?

So the rental cost her £200, and cost the shop £300! Although obviously they can keep renting it out for another couple of seasons.

I have had one of my bikes for 10 years and there are no chips on the paint, brakes are not scratched and wheels are not buckled even after thousands of miles.

How? My road bike’s 10 years old next year and looks like it’s been well cared for , patina of age, farked, there’s not a square inch that’s not got a chip, scuff, scratch or bubbling paint on it!

frepster
    Free Member

Surely the cost of rental is irevelant to the charges applied at the end, they have obviously done a cost analysis and decided that £125 is enough to charge and run a wothwhile profit when the bike is sold at the end of the term.

This just seems like gouging customers to me.

scotroutes

They only rent out new bikes. I guess they must sell the old ones one, in which case it would be interesting to see what they go for.

scotroutes

[i]If it comes back in suitable condition[/i]

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It looks to me like their business model is based on the bikes not coming back.

frepster
    Free Member

She didnt get the bike until end of april so she got charged the same for 4 months.

It would have been bttter value if she used it more but I reckon 250 miles, I dont recall the chips so they must have been tiny.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Im as confused as Njee, she cant afford to buy a bike but she can afford to “rent” a bike, by effectively buying the bike paying fully up front for it on the basis they will buy it back at a guaranteed price subject to conditions?

Agree with others that scratched STIs would affect resale significantly, they are horrendously expensive parts, and for stuff like bottle cage bolts theyll be including a nominal labour charge. My LBS charges a couple of quid to take a wheel off a bike 😯

I assume she wasnt given a breakdown of potential costs prior to the deal?

It would have been bttter value if she used it more but I reckon 250 miles

She had the bike 4 months. The fact she only chose to ride it 250 miles (as training? Really?) is down to her.

frepster
    Free Member

no, no fixed price menu as such for faults found so leaves them open to do what they like

Scott, it seems their returned suitable condition is as new as when it was delivered which is unrealistic in my view.

aracer
    Free Member

he didnt get the bike until end of april so she got charged the same for 4 months.

!relevant

frepster
    Free Member

so it only costs them £25 to rent the bike for the 7 months and thats assuming they pay list price for the bike in the first place.

joemarshall
    Free Member

It’s worth checking with Tri UK that they’re looking at the right bike too, when I dealt with them, they were quite disorganised, they might have got them mixed up.

nealglover
    Free Member

I would be asking what the charges are for

They have already told you, in an itemised list ?

and then if the repairs are going to be made.

Nothing to do with you really, its their bike not yours 🙂

frepster
    Free Member

Its the same bike as she knows it didnt go back with the bottle cage bolts and the tape was torn before she got it.

Have emailed them to ask to comprimise on the chips and the tape as that is wear and tear as far as im concerned.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Scott, it seems their returned suitable condition is as new as when it was delivered which is unrealistic in my view

depends on how you use and look after stuff. My 9 month old road bike has substantially more than 250 miles on it and it is unmarked- if I cleaned the bar tape and rim brake tracks I could pass it off as brand new.

the tape was torn before she got it.

isnt documenting existing damage when hiring something standard practice? Couple of smart phone pics when she received the bike and saved or emailed to company? Not smart-arsed hindsight, more common sense?

frepster
    Free Member

Really? tyres dont look worn, chain not stretched.

jumble
    Free Member

Seems like a good deal to me.

It’s all about the terms and conditions. You cannot create a business based around the worse case costs for everyone so you need to be clear about labour rates and part rates for fixing stuff as well as examples of normal wear and tear.

My experience is though that even if you do all this there is a culture in the UK of not taking responsibility for paying for broken stuff. I have no idea where this culture comes from, but it’s like thinking it was the bikes fault that it got scratched.

mrhoppy

Other than the paint chips it doesn’t seem unreasonable to me, the prices are more than I’d get charged at my LBS but that’s a different situation. If the shifters are scratched then that does kinda imply its not been that well looked after and they aren’t cheap bits of kit to replace.

Wear and tear on a road bike hired through the summer is tyre wear, brake blocks and chain/cassette at a push imo. And 250 miles in 4 months? I’ve done not far off that in 3 weeks and I’m not getting out that much at the moment.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Really? tyres dont look worn, chain not stretched.

yes the tyres have obviously been used, no the chain isnt stretched, nor do the sprockets/rings look used when theyre cleaned up. And my shifters go no where near a wall or anything that could scratch them – if I lean it against a wall its by rear tyre and inside pedal at 3/9 o’clock.

Still not explained how your friend can pay for a bike up front but not buy it? And are you accepting she’s damaged the shifters (which I’d charge replacement cost for which would be the 90 quid in one hit)? And she really only used it for 250 miles in 4 months after paying so much for it to train for triathlons?

I think the charges are reasonable, your friend has been naive, and she hasn’t looked after something she’s hired. Harsh, but playing devils advocate to the pitchforks and bombers response on the first page.

mrhoppy

It does read a little that your eagerness to avoid that your friend isn’t being screwed metaphorically by them is so that she can literally by you.

DanW
    Free Member

Seems a bit 50/50 if looked at from both sides. I would err on the side of Tri-Uk though.

From the point of view of the customer:

I’m not sure how they quantify the cost of the damage. Did she receive a list of repair costs prior to hire? if not I think they should have made it clear that it would cost 15 nicker per chip.

I would have thought “damage charges” should explicitly defined as should “fair wear and tear”. These terms are very clear in the rental of a house/ flat for example as lots of people have already mentioned. It is also odd the front and rear wheel have two different charges as one is a “buckle” and the other an “excessive buckle” 😕

From TriUk’s point of view:

Other than the paint chips it doesn’t seem unreasonable to me, the prices are more than I’d get charged at my LBS but that’s a different situation. If the shifters are scratched then that does kinda imply its not been that well looked after and they aren’t cheap bits of kit to replace.

Kind of along the lines of the above. If the damage quoted for is actually real then it does not sound well looked after for the mileage and your friend has had a pretty good deal out of it. For 250 miles on a road bike I would expect it to be absolutely spotless.

aracer
    Free Member

mrhoppy wins the thread for saying what we’re all thinking 😉

If I was buying a second hand road bike from a shop, I’d expect it to come with new bar tape, not old tape with potentially six months and 5000 miles of someone else’s sweat soaked in to it.
    Shouldn’t any shop budget for new tape in the hire price ?

wwaswas

I think the OP is at the point of haggling over the price being charged for the wheel buckles and bar tape rip really. The paint chips and shifter damage, if present, sounds cheap.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

the bar tape was torn upon receipt although she never reported it.

Why not? I bet she regrets her slapdash attitude now.

frepster
    Free Member

I suspect she does, she didnt think it was a big deal and that she would be charged for the tape at a later date. Still live and learn I guess.

Ive suggested asking to dropp the charge for the paintwork as it looks minimal now ive seen photos and the tape as a comprimise.

Regarding affording a bike in the first place,I stopped trying to see logic in girls financial decsions a long time ago.

Thanks for all your posts!

scotroutes

Oh – I’ve just been putting my road bike away after yesterday ride. I had a good, honest look at it and can promise there are no chips in the paintwork – and that’s after several thousand miles.

chief9000
    Free Member

All smells a bit fishy to me now i read the other posts. Barely used but managed to sustain 2 buckled wheels, chips in the frame and scratched brakes. Like i Said before, had one of my bikes for 10 years and after thousands of miles I don’t have that damage.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

frepster are you by any chance trying to get your groove on with this friend? 😉

I reckon she’s been very daft hiring a bike when she COULD have bought one and sold it herself at the end of the race season, plus not checking the bike’s condition upon delivery, plus allowing you to be her dogsbody (ah hang on, that’s a smart thing to do!) chasing all of this stuff up.

rickt
    Free Member

If you were training, it would be 250 miles a week…

nealglover
    Free Member

Doing 15 miles a week for four months !
    That’s not training, that’s going to get some milk 🙂

Would have been cheaper to do that sort of mileage in a taxi I reckon.

In fuel terms, she’s getting about 8 Mpg 😀

jameso

Ive suggested asking to dropp the charge for the paintwork

Would rentacar do that?

scotroutes

Don’t forget to subtract the “event” mileage from that.

nealglover
    Free Member

Probably about 6 mpg then.

Cougar

Can you share the photos you’ve received of the damage? Then we can all stop speculating and get the pitchforks ready.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Excessive Damage charges after Hiring Bike for a summer’ is closed to new replies.