Viewing 40 posts - 31,161 through 31,200 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • zippykona

None.
    The price in the book is the price we pay.
    Shall we phone up hmrc and try and get our tax bill down?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No, that would not work.

Well if you have no pricing power, then your business is fu@@ed in a very difficult position. If it really is zero, diversification (high end UK chocolates) or exit are your best bet. One thing for sure, you will have to do something. Brexshit ain’t go away and parity looks increasingly likely. Good luck

cornholio98
    Free Member

THM while there may be a solution in the future there is already an impact to businesses and consumers and nothing has happened. I think that the uncertainty and stress associated with this is what is frustrating Zippy. It only takes a short term dip for small businesses to fold and if I look at my local high street never come back 🙁

In all honesty I would hope that the government focused their free trade efforts on the basic food stuffs and the power that comes through the undersea cables. Anything that is a luxury item which gets sorted first will perhaps show negotiating resources are not used wisely.

Business plans need to be in place well before any “deal” is announced and the bit of a mess of the process so far is not helping with planning. I know the company I work for has frozen all new works in the U.K. And is moving 3 of the plants to mainland Europe which is shit for everyone

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I don’t doubt the stress levels – remember I was a remainer who highlighted uncertainty as one of the biggest risks – and for SMEs it is very, very stressful indeed.

I am frustrated too, but life’s tough and sometimes shit. But you have to deal with it.

With parity likely on €£ it’s going to get tougher for ZK – hence my “good luck”

It’s no comfort to him, but exporters of UK chocolate are having a field day 😯

Del

interesting not a single post from the Remainers on the EU Commissioners travel disgrace or the Polish Chlorine / Formaldahide chicken issue (required treamsnt to stem Salmonella outbreak) or Dutch egg scandal.

what? we’re supposed to argue your side of it ourselves now?

in any case for the life of me I can’t see the link between stuff that shouldn’t happen like this and us leaving. people do bad things irrespective of whatever flag waves over their heads. they shouldn’t, they know it, and they should be punished for it. how does us leaving alter what other people do?

of course this sort of thing never happens in the UK. oh, hang on..

By 16 January 2013 four subsidiaries of ABP had been accused of supplying adulterated meat. They were Silvercrest in County Monaghan, Dalepak in North Yorkshire, Freshlink in Glasgow, ABP Nenagh in County Tipperary, Ireland and Dairy Crest, Rossington.

as for corrupt civil servants, see any issue of private eye, ever.

EU vested interests in farming to the fore mixed with that epically proportioned EU gravy train.

fair play. we could ask James Dyson about that too, though i understand he’s rather keen on keeping subsidy payments going post-brexit. 🙄

zippykona

What exactly are we fixing here?
    I’m being asked to pay a price what will I get in return?
    And these uk chocolate exporters get their chocolate from where?
    What country can they magically buy chocolate from cheaper than last year?

mattjg
    Free Member

Why? because that is what is in EVERYONEs interests.

But it’s not. In fact, almost the opposite.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tbc, a practical solution is in everyone’s interests (not Brexshit itself!!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

London School of Economics research shows even Remain voters favour a “hard” Brexit. The Lib Dems / SNP / Plyd “soft” Brexit positions are only supported by 60% of their voters

Remoaners Lose as Voters Strongly Back ‘Hard’ Brexit

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

The fields will be full of cocoa, farmers will be rolling in it, chocolate exporters will employ millions…

Oh hang on…

thecaptain
    Free Member

If someone had said before the referendum, that 13 months later and 5 months post article 50, the govt would still be internally debating what sort of vague outline of a transitional plan they wished to ask the EU27 for, they’d have been laughed at.

It’s not a laughing matter any more.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What exactly are we fixing here?
    I’m being asked to pay a price what will I get in return?
    And these uk chocolate exporters get their chocolate from where?
    What country can they magically buy chocolate from cheaper than last year?

One that we sign a free or reduced tariff trade deal with, you can have a simple addendum to WTO with specific countries. As per the coffee example the EU applies penal tariffs to roasted coffee beans but not to raw beans so that the value added prodiction is focused in the EU (Germany in particular) at the expense of economic development of poorer countries

zippykona

Jamba how do I get one of these trade deals?
    I’m just sorting out our credit card terminal supplier and then I’ll get right on it.

Shackleton

London School of Economics research shows even Remain voters favour a “hard” Brexit. The Lib Dems / SNP / Plyd “soft” Brexit positions are only supported by 60% of their voters

Not exactly Jamba……….. A more in-depth analysis. As ever the real answer is somewhat more nuanced than your choice sound bite would suggest and interpretation of the answers has to be done in context of the the study methods and the actual questions asked.

A key point is that they were asked in the context of “assuming that we are definitely leaving the EU how should we do it” and whether they thought that their preferred outcome reflected the outcome of the referendum. These 2 points are key and the outcomes of the study are meaningless without looking at them with this in mind.

Lifer
    Free Member

“In contrast, Remainers are more divided, with the majority favouring a ‘soft Brexit’ but others favouring aspects of a ‘hard Brexit’. Overall, this means that there is on aggregate higher levels of support for outcomes that resemble the ‘hard Brexit’ position put forward by the government.”

Lazy jambas

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rather than being asked simply whether they support EU membership or not, respondents were instead grilled over a series of conditions imposed on Britain as a result of being in the bloc.

its therefore impossible to conclude[ as the question was never even posed]

research shows even Remain voters favour a “hard” Brexit.

The conclusion you reach is complete rubbish, utterly unfounded and simply untrue as it was NEVER EVEN ASKED.

igm

What do you expect from a website drafted by Lord Haw-Haw, Jamba?

Order-order – a propaganda rag run by an Irishman, based in a place where you can buy citizenship.

Hmmm. Not a bunch I’d regard as impartial experts on Brexit (or anything else really).

Gutter journalism.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it was odd they quoted the report saying it was a forced choice and then emboldened the claim it proved that leavers supported Brexit

It was pretty poor- is it generally like that ?
    Polemic to the point of lies/errors?

IS it just a polemicist blog that does not care for facts or was this uncharacteristic of them – genuine q for anyone who reads it other than when linked on here.

johnners
    Free Member

exporters of UK chocolate are having a field day

Are they really? They must be in a special niche because the latest ONS figures show that the trade deficit actually widened in June despite the expected boost from the fall in Sterling.

It doesn’t seem hopeful that’ll improve any once the higher input costs of raw materials start being fully reflected.

Junkyard
    Free Member

DONT BRING FACTS INTO OPTIMISM

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes – they are
    Yes – it is a niche, but relevant to discussions ^
    You are referring to the well known J-curve effect

Shackleton

Jamba – out of curiosity, were you posting from “order order” as a genuine source of information? Or were you just trolling the more fervent remainers on here?

kerley
    Free Member

It is pretty obvious that a remainer is not likely to want a hard Brexit, don’t think you need to do any research to come to that conclusion. If there has to be a Brexit then a remainer will want the softest Brexit possible which would be as close to not leaving as possible.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes but perversely to get as soft a Brexshit as possible you have to convince nos amis that you would take a hard one. The EU don’t negotiate, they bully. So you have to stand up to them. – like the bully/bullies on here the Internet. If they believe that we won’t walk away, they will make it hard for us. If they think we won’t blink, then they will be prepared to compromise. Negotiating 101

So I want a soft Brexshit with a long transition, hence very happy for the nutters to go on “pretending” that we might just walk away with a hard on

AD

THM – I think the problem is you have more faith in the nutters ‘pretending’. I think the silly bastards will happily walk away…

Junkyard
    Free Member

like the bully/bullies on here the Internet.

What was your last ban for again?
    you seem to keep going on and on about these sort of folk on the internet for some reason yet you seem to have a beam in thine own eye.
    You really are in a weak position to lecture us on how to behave on the internet [ as I am to be fair] but not had a ban for a couple of years iirc as I try to be a wee bit nicer these days. Perhaps you could do the same rather than lecture others ?

If they believe that we won’t walk away, they will make it hard for us

they will make it hard fir us whatever and they always were as it has to be worse out the club than in it.

I am not sure you really do need to convince them we will blow ourselve sup instead of compromising as a negotiation tactic when such an outcome is much much worse for us than them from nuclear treaties to access to the skies its a threat we cannot really deliver on it- see also North korea and Trumps latest I wont compromise spat for how successful that sort of approach is when both employ it. It leads to nowhere but ludicrous rhetoric.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Quite possibly AD quite possibly

mattjg
    Free Member

They’re not pretending.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Excellent

They odds get better then

That’s a relief

igm

THM – I think you interpreted my earlier comment about the Brexies damaging my children’s future as a financial comment. It wasn’t.
    While it is undoubtedly true that on balance the nation will be worse of financially and the only real question is how much and how long, it is the societal damage that the nastiness the Brexies embraced both during the campaign and afterwards that worries me most.
    This country is a worse place because of them.
    That is the slight note of sadness for my children I was talking about.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I agree, the economic argument isn’t really the most important for me. I mean, it’s clear that economically it’s going to be bad, but that doesn’t really matter to me personally, I’ll be ok and I can understand the argument that it could theoretically be worth paying a bit economically for other less tangible benefits. I resent much more that the country will be socially, culturally, scientifically and politically **** up too.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IGM. i know what you mean. Pre vote it was mainly Brexshiteers that spouted BS. Now it’s the remoaners who are trumping them with past vote nonsense. Our poor kids much wonder is there anyone left capable of talking sense. What has happened to our society? I had hoped that after the Scottish referendum, we might have seen the end of this…..and that was a very low bar to beat

Never thought our side would outdo the Brexshiteers at ludicrously wild exaggeration and being so nasty and intolerant but reckon they are actually winning that contest now by a country mile

mattjg
    Free Member

Never thought our side would outdo the Brexshiteers at ludicrously wild exaggeration and being so nasty and intolerant but reckon they are actually winning that contest now by a country mile

Awww come on.

Mind you it worked for the other side, perhaps it’s the path to victory! 😉

(Personally, I never used the term Brexshiteers).

thecaptain
    Free Member

Awww cute concern trolling.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its great irony to lament the rudeness of “our side” and then call them Brexshiteers 😆

I hope its sublime trolling satire rather than abject stupidity

igm

THM – to be fair though, the remainers even now have refrained from killing people they disagree with. Unlike say, ISIS or the Brexies.

kerley
    Free Member

Yes but perversely to get as soft a Brexshit as possible you have to convince nos amis that you would take a hard one. The EU don’t negotiate, they bully. So you have to stand up to them

Maybe the negotiators do yes, but the remainers who are not involved in negotiations are not going to be looking at it from that angle, i.e. the man in the street remainer such as myself.

piemonster

its great irony to lament the rudeness of “our side” and then call them Brexshiteers

It’s a massive irony to lament the rudeness of one side but lace almost every post with at least one veiled insult. He has a commitment to rudeness rarely seen even here.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

igm – Member
    THM – to be fair though, the remainers even now have refrained from killing people they disagree with. Unlike say, ISIS or the Brexies.

Don’t do it, IGM, don’t do it. Think of the children – YOUR children.

They deserve to be spared exposure to wild hyperbole. Brexies now running around killing people. Is that a 😯 or an ironic 😀

For the snowflakes, some clarity. We agree that Brexshit on balance is crap. Hence its Brexshit. Someone who supports the crap idea is therefore a Brexshiteer. They may be perfectly nice, indeed sensible but they are still “eers” of a crap concept. THat is not being rude, it’s simple making an accurate observation. They are supporters of an idea that is sh1t.Much more accurate that the familiar terms such a swivel eyed loons etc. on which comment is rarely, if ever, passed. Anyone mention a plank?

Some of my best friends 😉 (and forumites, family members, tennis partner *) are Brexshiteers. None of them run around killing people and I am happy to have a beer with all of them too.

* that reminds me, where did I put my racket….have a lovely morning

Viewing 40 posts - 31,161 through 31,200 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.