Viewing 40 posts - 62,721 through 62,760 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • scotroutes

Seems reasonable that he kept that commitment

He’d already agreed to a meeting with the representatives of the other opposition parties and just didn’t turn up in order to go to this kebab thing.

zippykona

For the mezzee not the chew.

colournoise

zippykona
    For the mezzee not the chew.

End of thread.

mariner
    Free Member

From report of Corbyns speech at kebab awards last night –
    He went on: “I was ridiculed for talking about falafels at the kebab awards. Hands up those who like a falafel?” As the crowd cheered, Corbyn noted: “Big swing towards falafels in the past two years …”

dazh

Well this is interesting. Seems to me May’s only option is to reach out to the labour party in order to form a majority, or hold an election. So are we still in denial that labour’s policy of allowing the tories the room to destroy themselves is beginning to pay off?

piha
    Free Member

Reuters are reporting TM is writing to the EU to plead for a 2 year delay to Brexit. Is this what Jeremy was planning all along?

Northwind

kelvin

There is no “deal” that would please the public “as a whole”, or even half of us. So MPs are carrying out the representation aspect of their role pretty well.

Aye, exactly. With all the daft political games etc it often seems to get overlooked that while there was a majority for brexit, there’s nothing close to a majority for any particular brexit- not even the fantasy ones from the referendum.

I know it’s obvious, I know I’ve said it about 50 times and so have loads of other people but it’s too important to be sidelined by Bercow and kebabs. Brexit in general might have a majority, but the biggest single voter bloc is remain. The brexit options are all mutually exclusive and all have less support by far than remain. The closest they get to unity is “let’s get on with it” but even when saying that, hard brexiters won’t accept a soft brexit (May’s deal we’re told isn’t even brexit at all).

As for Corbyn, the Kebab Awards are still achieving more than May’s votes.

kimbers

and teh least popular option is May’s deal

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

What Northwind said.

Del

Angry lorry drivers are set to stage a nationwide pro-Brexit go-slow protest which could bring Britain’s motorways to a standstill. Truck and HGV drivers across the country are planning a series of demonstrations across the UK on Friday and Saturday, threatening to disrupt rush hour traffic.

being reported on local news outlets. only the express has picked it up nationally.

binners

Gammonball Run 2?

BoardinBob

Gammonball Run 2?

Superb

DrJ

Angry lorry drivers are set to stage a nationwide pro-Brexit go-slow protest which could bring Britain’s motorways to a standstill. Truck and HGV drivers across the country are planning a series of demonstrations across the UK on Friday and Saturday, threatening to disrupt rush hour traffic.

I’m surprised(*) how the media are studiously ignoring the French customs “Brexit work to rule” which has brought Calais trucks and Eurostar passnegers to a standstill. It’s almost as if they want to pretend that No Deal will present no problems …

* may not be entirely true

slowoldman

Yes I saw something on facebook referencing M6 J10 on Friday.

dissonance

Aye, exactly. With all the daft political games etc it often seems to get overlooked that while there was a majority for brexit

There is a good set of tweets from a Labour MP. Where he says his constituency voted out by 61% but then asks which email he received today which range from just leave to now remain via Norway option is the leave option he should go for.

kimbers

M6 J10 on Friday.

rushour on Friday, how will we notice the difference?

at least you have the option of taking the Toll!

zippykona

I would have thought lorry drivers would be the last people who want Brexit.

Maybe the domestic ones don’t give a shit about international ones.

Tom-B
    Free Member

How are the going to get around that legally? Surely it’s illegal for a lorry to be in the outside lane?

Cougar

I was ridiculed for talking about falafels at the kebab awards.

Sounds like a right PITA.

Angry lorry drivers are set to stage a nationwide pro-Brexit go-slow protest which could bring Britain’s motorways to a standstill.

Aside from this being business as usual for lorry drivers,

How many pro-brexit drivers are there in actuality? There can’t be many surely, they’d either have to be thick as mince (I know, I know) or looking forward to being paid to sit in their cabs in Calais reading The Sun for four hours every morning.

thejesmonddingo

Well,it doesn’t take four hours to read the Sun when you’re a lorry driver,does it?

pondo

How many pro-brexit drivers are there in actuality?

Not to make sweeping generalisations but I imagine quite a few, my uncle for one.

crazy-legs

How many pro-brexit drivers are there in actuality?

I’d hazard a guess at quite a lot – they’ll see all those Romanian and Polish lorries being driven on “their” motorways and want to put a stop to all that thank you very much.

Or they want to sit in a massive queue on the M20 for days at a time eating bacon sarnies, reading The Sun and ****… (not to sterotype lorry drivers at all… 😉 )

kimbers

the fuel protests did cause quite a big disruption

but that was effective because it specifically targeted fuel depots

Cougar

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Lorry drivers, people who depend on international movement, voting to remove international movement.

Just another facepalm in the giant facepalm of facepalms that is brexit.

facepalm

kelvin

My uncle (no longer with us) spent nearly all his working life driving all over Europe… where as my father (no longer with us) spent his last working years driving in UK only. There are two distinct sets of “lorry drivers” as regards FoM requirements. None that I know happen to want international driving stopped or restricted in Europe, but it doesn’t surprise me that many do…

zippykona

I’m going to serve my customers really slowly in protest that the 30% tariff hasn’t been put on chocolate yet.

Dickyboy

I’d hazard a guess at quite a lot – they’ll see all those Romanian and Polish lorries being driven on “their” motorways and want to put a stop to all that thank you very much

Very much this, much like a couple of plumbers I know who have seen an influx of competition that meant they’ve had to drop their prices to compete. On a macro scale brexit might not make any sense but on a micro scale it makes a lot of sense to a lot of people…

Dickyboy

Blockquote fail 🤔

taxi25
    Free Member

Lorry drivers, people who depend on international movement, voting to remove international movement.

Driving a lorry across Europe is completely different from FOM within the EU. But you know that don’t you ?

Cougar
    Cougar

… and presumably next week he hopes to attempt further deals with ASDA and Lidl.

kelvin

Driving a lorry across Europe is completely different from FOM within the EU. But you know that don’t you ?

You’ve looked into this, yes? I mean, you wouldn’t start challenging people without doing a cursory check into how things work now… would you…? I mean, a nonEU driver has much the same right to deliver between, and within, EU countries as an EU driver…yeah?

Cougar

You’ve looked into this, yes? I mean, you wouldn’t start challenging people without doing a cursory check into how things work now… would you…?

Who do you think he is, the Secretary of State for International Trade?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Not sure “FOM” was my point, my point was more all a bit like:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit-lorry-and-goods-vehicle-drivers

roper
    Free Member

I have’nt seen the times planned for the Lorry protests, if they are more than just rumours
    , but can’t imagine they will be holding up traffic on the M1 or near London on Saturday morning to stop peoplesvote/remain protesters from getting to the march in London.

taxi25
    Free Member

You’ve looked into this, yes?

Yes.

I mean, a nonEU driver has much the same right to deliver between, and within, EU countries as an EU driver…yeah?

Again yes. Mrmonkfinger has kindly posted a link.

kelvin

Again yes.

Read more. Or talk to someone in the industry.

taxi25
    Free Member

Read more. Or talk to someone in the industry

I read loads already. But if you want to point me in the direction of something that says British lorry drivers will no longer be able to drive in the EU post brexit I’ll read that as well. In the meantime read monkfingers link which is a worst case no deal brexit.

Viewing 40 posts - 62,721 through 62,760 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.